PDA

View Full Version : Ralphie in DTM

JSH
20th May 2008, 21:42
Feel a bit wierd as an Aussie in the US who only gets to see the DTM at the end of the season when Speed get's all the NASCAR rubbish off, but from what I'm seeing of the DTM results so far, Ralphie doesn't seem to be really setting the world on fire.

Now before I write him off based on his also disappointing(IMO) F1 career, has anyone been following DTM and what are your thoughts.

Has he been unlucky? Is he driving an older car?

Dave B
21st May 2008, 10:11
I've been watching and to be honest kept forgetting that Ralf was even on the track. I must admit I never rated him particular highly as an F1 driver: quick on his day but all to often that day wasn't a Sunday. :s

wedge
21st May 2008, 12:20
Feel a bit wierd as an Aussie in the US who only gets to see the DTM at the end of the season when Speed get's all the NASCAR rubbish off, but from what I'm seeing of the DTM results so far, Ralphie doesn't seem to be really setting the world on fire.

Now before I write him off based on his also disappointing(IMO) F1 career, has anyone been following DTM and what are your thoughts.

Has he been unlucky? Is he driving an older car?

Yes he's driving an older car - which he purposely chose so as not to put huge pressure and expectations on himself.

I wouldn't say he's doing terrible, just the odd hiccup expected from rookies 10 years younger than him. I'd give him some time to find his feet in DTM before drawing a conclusion.

kmchow
22nd May 2008, 07:16
Do you think Hakkinen did better as a rookie than Ralf has? Still too early? How about Alesi or Frentzen?

How did each former F1 driver do in their debut year?

MAX_THRUST
22nd May 2008, 12:09
Ralph had fun racing for 13th place on Sunday. yes he's in an old car, but the commentators said they felt that may give him an excuse mentally not to perform that well.

To be honest I think he's lost his bottle (no shame in that-I can't drive that fast without filling my pants). Hakinen did well in his first year, Paul Diresta now in his second year, managed to get podium finishes in his first year in an old car..........Ralph just ins't trying.

wedge
22nd May 2008, 12:38
Ralph had fun racing for 13th place on Sunday. yes he's in an old car, but the commentators said they felt that may give him an excuse mentally not to perform that well.

To be honest I think he's lost his bottle (no shame in that-I can't drive that fast without filling my pants). Hakinen did well in his first year, Paul Diresta now in his second year, managed to get podium finishes in his first year in an old car..........Ralph just ins't trying.

Agreed

Ralf has performed to my expectations - scrapping for minor places and the odd spin here and there.

gm99
22nd May 2008, 12:42
Do you think Hakkinen did better as a rookie than Ralf has? Still too early? How about Alesi or Frentzen?

How did each former F1 driver do in their debut year?

Alesi was 3rd in his first race in 2002 and won his third. (5th place in overall standings for 2002)
Häkkinen was 8th on his debut, third in his second start and also won his third race in the series in 2005. (5th place in overall standings)
Frentzen was 11th in his first race in 2004 and had a season-best of P6 at Brno (his only point scoring finish that year, as Shanghai, where HHF finished 7th, was a non-championship event, which put him in P14 overall).

It has to be said, however, that Alesi and Häkkinen had new works cars at their disposal, while Ralf is racing a 2007 customer car. Opel, who HHF drove for in his first season, was not at all competitive in 2004.
Still I think that Ralf's performance has not been all that impressive so far, especially as I fail to see much progress on his part from one race to the next. He continues to qualify around P14 and finish not much higher. He certainly hasn't done anything on the track that should earn him a works drive for next season.

Jimmy Magnusson
31st May 2008, 09:54
Not been all bad... He's been the fastest driver in a year-old Mercedes a couple of times so far, it's just that the 07 Merc have had a general torrid time so far...

thetrooper_scot
2nd June 2008, 16:02
Like it's been said already look at what Paul Di Resta did with an 2 year old Mercedes in his rookie year. Come on Paul looking good for the championship.

Ralf is in a 1 year old car so he should be further up the grid really. I don't see him getting a lot of success in DTM as he seems to get his drive based on the fact he's Michael's brother. Even in F1 he didn't produce the goods.