PDA

View Full Version : Customer Cars

ArrowsFA1
6th December 2006, 14:55
Looks like there could be a storm brewing over Super Aguri & Toro Rosso's plans to run (their own versions of?) 2006 Honda & Red Bull cars in 2007 :dozey:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55924

IMHO they should be allowed to run 'customer cars' if they want to, but apparently this should not happen until 2008.

Mark
6th December 2006, 14:57
How can you stop them tho? If they own the rights to the design?

ArrowsFA1
6th December 2006, 15:36
I think that's the problem though. Is it their design or not? They argue 'yes' but others say 'no' and proving the case one way or another could be...errrr...difficult.

Sleeper
6th December 2006, 16:40
I Super Aguri's case they will probably do what Torro Rosso did this year. Buy the interlectual property rightes from Honda, make a few small changes and then build the cars themselves, it would conform to the letter of the rules I believe.

As for Torro Rosso, I think they're currently trying to work out a way to run the same Newey chassis that RBR will run next year. Cant see that happening myself.

trumperZ06
6th December 2006, 19:20
;) Aren't we really looking at Factory " A " and " B " teams ?

The Factory teams will share information & technology with one another anyway...

so shouldn't F-1 accept the facts and get on with the show ?

:s mokin:

baker
6th December 2006, 21:44
As far as I can tell Super Aguri are within the current rules because their 2007 car is based on intellectual property rights which are NOT held by another F1 constructor. The 2007 Honda will have a different chassis altogether.

However Toro Rosso and Red Bull, according to the link, intend to effectively share the same chassis for 2007 which, again as far I can tell, is not allowed. Presumably because this would mean sharing the same intellectual property rights.

Perhaps some of the other constructors have been miffed by Super Aguri's sudden turn of speed in the recent winter tests. :D

Hawkmoon
7th December 2006, 03:05
;) Aren't we really looking at Factory " A " and " B " teams ?

The Factory teams will share information & technology with one another anyway...

so shouldn't F-1 accept the facts and get on with the show ?

:s mokin:

Whilst I agree with you, it makes me smile at all the outrage that surrounded Sauber's relationship with Ferrari a few years ago.

Now it's perfectly OK for 'A' and 'B' teams that are using exactly the same cars, not just similar ones.

If it wasn't OK for Sauber to apparently copy the F2003-GA and run as Ferrari's defacto 'B' team in 2004, then it's not OK for Super Aguri and Torro Rosso to use a any other car than one they have designed themselves. The rules haven't changed since '04 and by the letter of the law, the two 'B' teams should have to wait until 2008 before getting the 'A' team's hand-me-downs.

I can perfectly understand why Spyker are resisting Super Aguri's attempts to get a Honda chassis. Afterall, no one is going to give Spyker a race winning car to play with.

Valve Bounce
7th December 2006, 12:09
I Super Aguri's case they will probably do what Torro Rosso did this year. Buy the interlectual property rightes from Honda, make a few small changes and then build the cars themselves, it would conform to the letter of the rules I believe.

As for Torro Rosso, I think they're currently trying to work out a way to run the same Newey chassis that RBR will run next year. Cant see that happening myself.

The point here is whether Super Aguri are buying the intellectual rights from Toshigi and not from Honda. I think that Eiji Matsumata informed us that Toshigi were running a parallel development for Honda last year. So the question here is whether Toshigi is a part of Honda or is it a separately registered company doing R&D for Honda. We need a smart lawyer for Super Aguri here; someone like Danny Crane.

ArrowsFA1
7th December 2006, 12:23
Whilst I agree with you, it makes me smile at all the outrage that surrounded Sauber's relationship with Ferrari a few years ago.
Fair point, although the idea of 'B' teams was not on the agenda at that time. It is now, and as Toro Rosso appeared to have been allowed to run a "Jaguar" in 2006 the door has opened for others who want to do something similar.

harsha
7th December 2006, 13:29
Spykar has every right to feel agreived...

PSfan
7th December 2006, 18:07
Well, I was thinking about this, and a question I have now is, how long has Honda R&D been developing for Honda F1? I would assume that its has just started this year, or else Aguri could have used this loophole last year. So if thats the case, then I don't believe that Aguri should be able to use last years Honda, or its design for 07. But I would believe that Honda R&D could design the Aguri car around the new Honda f1 car, and that should be alright...

If Spyker was smart, they would allow the use of 1 year old chassis this year (better that then Aguri, and Rosso utilizing a loophole to use current spec chassis.) and part of the deal would be to have them make a deal with Ferrari to use their year old chassis.

ioan
7th December 2006, 18:12
Fair point, although the idea of 'B' teams was not on the agenda at that time. It is now, and as Toro Rosso appeared to have been allowed to run a "Jaguar" in 2006 the door has opened for others who want to do something similar.

Well the idea it's on the agenda for 2007 not before.

If Spyker was smart, they would allow the use of 1 year old chassis this year (better that then Aguri, and Rosso utilizing a loophole to use current spec chassis.) and part of the deal would be to have them make a deal with Ferrari to use their year old chassis.

Not a bad idea, the question is if Spyker can afford to buy the Ferrari chassis, given that they are not a Ferrari B team.

PSfan
7th December 2006, 18:20
Not a bad idea, the question is if Spyker can afford to buy the Ferrari chassis, given that they are not a Ferrari B team.

Well depending on how its implemented, They wouldn't be owning the ferrari design, just the right to use it for one season, I would imagine, like Aguri, and Torro, they would have to manufacture the chassis' themselves. So how much Ferrari would charge for the use of their design is anyones guess. But I imagine if Torro & Aguri get to use their sister teams current chassis, its a easy bet as to who will finish last in the championship in 2007, and not hard to predict they will be running Ferrari engines :p :

ioan
7th December 2006, 18:25
But I imagine if Torro & Aguri get to use their sister teams current chassis, its a easy bet as to who will finish last in the championship in 2007, and not hard to predict they will be running Ferrari engines :p :

This would turn F1 into charity and would be wrong, I doubt Ferrari would agree to do that.
People know that having a good engine doesn't mean winning races.

PSfan
7th December 2006, 19:34
This would turn F1 into charity and would be wrong, I doubt Ferrari would agree to do that.
People know that having a good engine doesn't mean winning races.

I'm not suggesting that Ferrari give away the design to their year old chassis, Just that what ever value is placed on the design, be weighed against the possibility that should Spyker's main competitors be allowed to use chassis' developed by a third party, then there is a good chance that Spyker will finish last in 07, which won't look that good for its engine supplier... Besides, Spyker and Ferrari already have the f1 engine deal, and an engine deal for Ferrari powered Spyker SUV's which is more then what Sauber had with Ferrari, and its still arguable that Sauber got their hands on ferrari designs at some point...

Oh and I almost forgot, if Spyker use Ferrari designed chassis then there might be the possibility of some benefitial feedback, which might be of some value with the limited testing this year...