PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision 2008

gadjo_dilo
20th May 2008, 07:40
Ok guys, it's time again for the uncrowned kings/queens of kitch.
Tonight it's the first semifinal and 10 countries will be chosen for the Saturday final.

Have already seen a few videos of the songs and I think it's a very poor edition. Can't wait for the usual complaints about voting system and for the usual last clasification of GB ( coudn't you find something decent? ) , France ( really weird ), Spain ( this year with a sort of Cheeky Boy ) and Germany ( heavy artilery: No angels ). :laugh:

Despite the great voices of the singers our own song is a boring lamentation that was rejected even in the national competition of song creation which is the top of boredom. Don't think it has any chance except for the regular 12 points from Spain.
Ironically, the song that lost the preselection was a sure winner and was voted less because it was a swede song performed by a swede act.

Dave B
20th May 2008, 08:58
The UK's song is our best for a while, although that's not exactly difficult after Scooch embarrassing us last year. That's not to say it's a particularly great song (it isn't) or that we'd have half a chance in the voting even if it was the best song in the world. Or even a tribute.

I've got the album of all the songs (and you can watch them here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/eurovision/participants/)), but I'm deliberately not listening to them yet to preserve the surprise for when they're performed "for real".

Anyway, for us UK viewer the songs are a just a distraction. The real reason we watch is to drink-Baileys-along-a-Wogan and enjoy his increasingly sarcastic comments as he works his way down the bottle :p

Mark
20th May 2008, 08:59
Give the password :D

jim mcglinchey
20th May 2008, 09:02
I see Ireland arent taking any chances this year, with their totally fitting piss-take Dustin the Turkey ( would that neck remind you of Cliffs?) and Nulle Points. I cant wait!

Dave B
20th May 2008, 09:02
Give the password :D

SAGAPO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWDU9ZWMoEw)! :D

Mark
20th May 2008, 09:44
I see Ireland arent taking any chances this year, with their totally fitting piss-take Dustin the Turkey ( would that neck remind you of Cliffs?) and Nulle Points. I cant wait!

My lovely turkey. Running through the field...

gadjo_dilo
21st May 2008, 08:38
What was the point of those tribal dances around the turkey and what got they to do with european music?

Now we have the first 10 finalists:

1. Greece - the role model of this girl is definitely Britney Spears
2. Romania - can't believe this, The voters are silly even abroad.
3. Bosnia / Herzegovina - no comment. too silly
4. Finlanda - interesting but the jug can't go too often to the water. We've already had a Lordi experience
5. Russia - Blasphemy!!! To play a Stradivarius violin on the stage of Eurovision....It made me pray that Evgeny Plushenko would slip . Anyway it's one of the favourits
6. Israel - too...arabic
7. Azerbaijan - the sensation of the semifinal. Although I have doubts that one of the singers is " man enough ".
8. Armenia - nothing special
9. Polonia - sensational voice but the singer spent too much time to get the faked tan
10. Norway - too boring to remember something

AndyRAC
21st May 2008, 09:19
Ah the great Cheese - fest!! So bad- it's good!

millencolin
21st May 2008, 10:17
Have already seen a few videos of the songs and I think it's a very poor edition.

So whats new :p :

jens
21st May 2008, 10:59
Estonia's song and performance tried to make fun of Eurovision, but this didn't help us far.

I was surprised that Belgium's and Ireland's unconventional 'songs' didn't make it into Top10, but I guess this once again proves, how important it is to have a lot of neighbours for succeeding in Eurovision. :p :

jim mcglinchey
21st May 2008, 11:44
Ah well, no Dustin, but it's still going to be a laugh.

gadjo_dilo
21st May 2008, 12:22
Estonia's song and performance tried to make fun of Eurovision, but this didn't help us far.

I was surprised that Belgium's and Ireland's unconventional 'songs' didn't make it into Top10, but I guess this once again proves, how important it is to have a lot of neighbours for succeeding in Eurovision. :p :
It's but an old cliche.
Montenegro, Slovenia, Moldova and Estonia usually have traditional " neighbours " but this time it didn't work.
Romania hasn't neighbours and the song is boring but sometimes a good voice can do miracles.
But the belgian song was rather stupid than unconventional and
the irish turkey was plucked because the feathered indians looked silly.

Mark
21st May 2008, 17:44
Now I have a problem in that my fianceé hates Eurovision and we are supposed to be having friends around how can I manage to watch both Eurovision and Monaco qualifying when we are supposed to be entertaining?! :p

Dave B
21st May 2008, 17:54
Eurovision is entertaining!

Susy and me are going oop north to her parents, who went out in the week and bought a new amp and speakers just because I criticised the sound quality last time we were there :eek:

NoahsGirl
21st May 2008, 19:55
9. Polonia - sensational voice but the singer spent too much time to get the faked tan

Glad i wasn't the only one who thought she had marinated in fake tan.

The only reason I watch Eurovision is because I know what I am going to get - Terry Wogan slowly getting drunk and taking the proverbial out of everything, Baltic nations voting for each other, fake chemistry between presenters who think that Eurovision is the pinacle of their careers and watching just about every nation (except for the UK, and as evidenced last night Estonia and Ireland) taking the whole thing seriously!

Apparently the Swedish man in charge is not very happy with Sir Terry and the Beeb... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/1944611/Terry-Wogan-is-a-problem,-says-Eurovision-chief-Bjorn-Erichsen.html

As we pay more than our fair share for Eurovision, i advise Bjorn to go away and let us have our fun!

jens
21st May 2008, 21:50
It's but an old cliche.
Montenegro, Slovenia, Moldova and Estonia usually have traditional " neighbours " but this time it didn't work.
Romania hasn't neighbours and the song is boring but sometimes a good voice can do miracles.
But the belgian song was rather stupid than unconventional and
the irish turkey was plucked because the feathered indians looked silly.

Romania is a Balkan state and is a slavic nation - this helps them a lot. :p : There are simply so many countries from this region with a similar cultural background that it's hard for the Western European states to compete against them.

Estonia has a few neighbours, but certainly not enough to compete against Balkan states. :p : Although to be honest, I haven't been impressed by our songs of the last few years either. Finnish rock tends to help them out (thanks to the votes of 'heavy' fans), we probably need to find our niche too.

The fact that Slovenia and Montenegro didn't make it into the finals really surprised me - usually almost all of the Balkan states have made it into the finals. :p :

Next year also Kosovo will participate - Western countries must divide themselves too to have more chances. :)

About Belgium and Ireland - at least they differed from others with something (which can also be said about Azerbaijan), but I remember nothing from the others. Just a grey mass.

stevie_gerrard
22nd May 2008, 10:33
cant beat a bit of eurovision :p :

I cant see Great Britains winning at all or doing well for that fact. I heard a story yesterday that there are up to 5 times as many bets on great britian getting nul points than the actual winner of the eurovision song contest :laugh: typical brits, no faith............

gadjo_dilo
22nd May 2008, 10:35
Romania is a Balkan state and is a slavic nation - this helps them a lot. :p : There are simply so many countries from this region with a similar cultural background that it's hard for the Western European states to compete against them.

Estonia has a few neighbours, but certainly not enough to compete against Balkan states. :p : Although to be honest, I haven't been impressed by our songs of the last few years either. Finnish rock tends to help them out (thanks to the votes of 'heavy' fans), we probably need to find our niche too.

The fact that Slovenia and Montenegro didn't make it into the finals really surprised me - usually almost all of the Balkan states have made it into the finals. :p :

Next year also Kosovo will participate - Western countries must divide themselves too to have more chances. :)

About Belgium and Ireland - at least they differed from others with something (which can also be said about Azerbaijan), but I remember nothing from the others. Just a grey mass.
Punctually:
1. Romania IS NOT a slavic state. ( and deep in my soul I hope it will never become one :laugh: ).If you listern to our entry who's half in italian and half in romanian you'll see the similarities between the 2 languages.
Our balkanic neighbours don't like us ( generally speaking ) and never give us points. The only traditional ally who never fails to give us 12 points is Spain.
2. A few years ago Estonia managed to win and I'm not sure it was only because of the song's quality. It's a fact that the ex soviet states also give votes to each other. On the other hand I've noticed that Estonia always gets points from the scandinavian coutries. However this year the entry was too poor to get through but I think in the past it was always in final.
3.All that Western countries must do is coming with good songs. Listern to the songs from Spain and France and you'll see what I mean. The little help from neighbourhood in undoubtful but when a song is too poor ( see Montenegro ) it's not enough.

Don't forget: Tonight it's the second semifinal.

A.F.F.
22nd May 2008, 11:36
Ireland.... wtf was that ? I'm speechless.

gm99
22nd May 2008, 12:15
The only traditional ally who never fails to give us 12 points is Spain.

Which surely doesn't have anything to do with the up to 600.000 Romanians living in Spain... ;)

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2006_11_02/spain/romanian_workers_boost_economy.htm

Azumanga Davo
22nd May 2008, 12:23
Ah, bring back the days of Dschingis Khan (Billy is a handyman... LOL) or La La La or...

Actually, let's stick with what we got eh? ;)

gadjo_dilo
22nd May 2008, 13:12
Which surely doesn't have anything to do with the up to 600.000 Romanians living in Spain... ;)

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2006_11_02/spain/romanian_workers_boost_economy.htm

Old news. I bet there are more now. :laugh: They also helped a poor but talented romanian to win a spanish TV song contest. The jury was against him but the televoting system worked.
If Italy competed we'd assure other 12 points.

gadjo_dilo
23rd May 2008, 13:01
Now we have all the finalists and their order:

Romania
United Kingdom
Albania
Germany
Armenia
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Israel
Finland
Croatia
Poland
Iceland
Turkey
Portugal
Latvia
Sweden
Denmark
Georgia
Ukraine
France
Azerbaijan
Greece
Spain
Serbia
Russia
Norway

Azumanga Davo
23rd May 2008, 18:54
The way they are expanding the "Euro zone" at the moment, I can't wait for Australia's entry in 2012... :p :

jens
23rd May 2008, 19:55
"Worldvision" would be funny. I wonder, which time would they choose for the show. In some areas of the world it would be deep night and there won't be many voters. :D

Azumanga Davo
24th May 2008, 13:00
"Worldvision" would be funny. I wonder, which time would they choose for the show. In some areas of the world it would be deep night and there won't be many voters. :D

That would be awesome. Mind you, to go through all the nations would take some time, whilst some would have to be *ahem* sat further apart than usual... ;)

DonnieDarco
24th May 2008, 21:29
Well, Azer whatsit made a stunning debut, with a man who appeared to have his vitals caught in a mincer :D

The Spanish entry was.........well, it was...........anyone?

DonnieDarco
24th May 2008, 21:31
I liked the Polish song, even though the woman singing it had the biggest whitest teeth of anyone in the known universe. You can see those babies from space.

France, well they were just having a laugh, weren't they? Beardy man in golf cart clutching goldfish bowl, with backing singers all disguised so no-one will ever know they were a part of it.

DonnieDarco
24th May 2008, 21:38
Russia have a hilariously over dramatic dancer on roller skates :D

donKey jote
24th May 2008, 22:06
The Spanish entry was.........well, it was...........anyone?
a joke, a bad one :laugh: :dozey:

I liked Albania and Serbia, how's that for donkey taste :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

DonnieDarco
24th May 2008, 22:20
I'm trying to remember which ones they were, but after the terrible 'entertainment' during the intermission, its all a big blur :D

DonnieDarco
24th May 2008, 22:23
Germany had a decent song but alas, the singers were determined to sing it completely out of tune :D

jens
24th May 2008, 23:05
:laugh:

The voting was a big joke once again. The majority of the states in Top10 are former USSR or Balkan states.

donKey jote
24th May 2008, 23:28
Germany had a decent song but alas, the singers were determined to sing it completely out of tune :D
it certainly sounded better on the radio :p :

One of the singers is of bulgarian origin... which saved them from coming last :laugh:

jso1985
25th May 2008, 05:19
I think for the first time I actually liked a song! Turkey's one was quite good.
I know they didn't have much chances to win but then why that hot greek girl couldn't win? :p
as for other countries, let's be honest the whole contest is a joke so Spain or Croatia clearly deserved to win ;)
Finland's "rock trick" wasn't going to work twice...
The Latvian pirates proved Johnny Depp isn't the most gay pirate out there.
And Charlotte Perelli(Sweden) wins the Eurovision plastic surgery contest :laugh:
and finally Azerbaijan, Germany and Russia... what the hell was that?

SEATFreak
25th May 2008, 09:28
:laugh:

The voting was a big joke once again. The majority of the states in Top10 are former USSR or Balkan states.

I fear it may in the future cause something even more worrying to happen:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080525/ten-sir-terry-disgruntled-at-eurovision-ea4616c.html

And I agree 100%.

Would a good idea to stamp out political voting in what is just a friendly competition to simlply deduct a certain number of points from a nation for giving a vote to a political ally? Or to deduct fom a nation whatever number of points that gives to a political ally? So if Denmark gives Sweden 8 points when the Swedish entry is clearly attrocious, deduct 8 from Denmark. Because whilst votes to nations like Greece and Russia can I think clearly condone that on the basis of the entries strength, you had nations in the bottom third getting votes when the entries were worse than dire. More often from polical allies.

Azumanga Davo
25th May 2008, 09:58
a joke, a bad one :laugh: :dozey:

I liked Albania and Serbia, how's that for donkey taste :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Back into jail with you :D

Cozzie
25th May 2008, 10:57
Ireland's performance would have to be the greatest and most cheesiest in Eurovision history. I love that turkey!

Drew
25th May 2008, 13:50
I can't believe Portugal did quite well, that song was bad and I can't believe Russia won, the song was just.. nothing special.

I'm probably going to watch it again, just to hear Terry Wogan's commentary!

SEATFreak
25th May 2008, 14:12
I can't believe Portugal did quite well, that song was bad and I can't believe Russia won, the song was just.. nothing special.

We all know why both was....

I did notice though what possibly was the worst bit of voting involved Russia. Russia gave 3 points to chief rival Greece, fine, it was a great song, but gave 8pts to the Ukraine which put Greece from 2nd down to 3rd. Armenias 12pts from Russia didn't put the Greeks down a place but put Armenia closer to Greece.

The best thing about the whole farce if you ask me! And certainly the thing that makes the only sense!

It may not happen but I would support Terry's withdrawl from commentating on the contest for the BBC. It ain't a "contest" anymore. It ain't just the Eastern Bloc nations that stick together it seems; the Scandinavian nations all stick together too now it seems.

DonnieDarco
25th May 2008, 15:41

But that rollerskating dancer was hard to ignore :D So far as the voting goes, I just figured Russia had them all at gunpoint :D

Drew
25th May 2008, 17:47
We all know why both was....

I did notice though what possibly was the worst bit of voting involved Russia. Russia gave 3 points to chief rival Greece, fine, it was a great song, but gave 8pts to the Ukraine which put Greece from 2nd down to 3rd. Armenias 12pts from Russia didn't put the Greeks down a place but put Armenia closer to Greece.

Is there something i'm missing, Greece and Russia? Do you mean Greece and Turkey?

You should probably realise that Russian people ring up and vote, the same time as everybody else does, even if it was rigged, it's most likely to have been rigged before they've seen the votes from everywhere else. The man that tells you the vote from Russia does not think, oh 8pts to the Ukraine, that will make Greece 3rd....

It is possible to beat the block voting, you just have to be daring enough to try something new! Anyway, it's just a song contest, it really doesn't affect much!

And donniedarco, I was paying more attention to the lovely Armenian lady ;)

SEATFreak
25th May 2008, 18:05
Is there something i'm missing, Greece and Russia? Do you mean Greece and Turkey?

Yes, theirs something your missing.

I am talking about the two nations that appeared to be the two main contenders for much of the night. Why would I mean Greece and Turkey when Turkey were 7th? :confused:

OK, you have maybe got me beat on that one. It is the public that vote and not a panel of judges as I had once thought, though it is very much more the case where I have rather found it out about it for the first time rather than something I didn't know before, and that perhaps the decision is achieved before the actual table takes shape. But fact is Greece and Tur....sorry Russia were as I had said the two best and that I think it sad that the Greek entry didn't get runner-up when it was for the me the second-best song on the night.

Garry Walker
25th May 2008, 20:47
Why is this crap still going on?

Awful songs, awful voting. When someone like dima bilan wins with that song, you know how bad things are.

Even your average Simon Cowell show offers much much more.

Tomi
25th May 2008, 23:00
The whole idea of the best song is pathetic, funny that so many people take it so serious.

gadjo_dilo
26th May 2008, 07:13
It wasn't a surprise, for months Russia was the big fav of this year. Well, the song maybe deserved to win as it was accompanied by a Stradivarius violin played by Edvin Marton. :laugh:
I have a good laugh seeing your comments about the "skater " and it's weird that none of you recognized Evgeni Plushenko, olympic, world and european champion.

The voting system is not political ( give me a reason why Georgia wpuld give 12 points to Russia :laugh: , and why Serbia would give 0 points to Romania after its Kosovo supporting) but emotional, based on sympathy.

Don't have a clue about this "sir Terry" but it's a shame that after his long eurovision experience he still believes that the western countries deserved something better. I couldn't hear the Uk guy's voice, the german girls played out of tune and France or Spain entries were literally silly.

I'm afraid you'll never understand this voting as long as you can name Goran Bregovoc's orchestra fur weddings and funerals "the terrible 'entertainment' during the intermission " . The guy is huge in the Balkans , any balkanic inhabitant would react at his music, even those who has no origins in former Yugoslavia. It's the style of music of the region and the influences may be seen for ex. in the serbian or croatian songs of this edition.

gadjo_dilo
26th May 2008, 14:05
In 2006 Finalnd won with a rock song .( Ironically at that edition Russia was also represented by Dima Bilan who managed to finish second.)

In 2008 Finland comes again with a rock song but gets only 35 points and finished on the 22nd place ( from 25 ).

Questions:
1. Is the friends/neighbours vote enough to win?
2. Is the biased voting system always working?

In my opinion an "interesting" song may easily reach top 5 without those bloody votes.

SEATFreak
26th May 2008, 15:59

Would a UK win change your view by any chance??

Azumanga Davo
26th May 2008, 17:01

In the same league that a Max Mosley vote win will do for the rest of us. ;)

Sorry, silly European singing nonsense conversation. Carry on... :D

jso1985
26th May 2008, 21:48
In my opinion an "interesting" song may easily reach top 5 without those bloody votes.

exactly, if Spain's song would have been in english, it might have got more votes as the lyrics were quite funny.
it's still really hard to win without "friends" but Finland proved in 2006 it can be done.
if "friends" voting would be enough, Russia would win every year

Gurl Racer
26th May 2008, 23:39
I watched this for the first time... Hmmm...

Everything from tight black pants to a lollipop dress... Was certainly not what I expected thats all!

gadjo_dilo
27th May 2008, 08:30
I watched this for the first time... Hmmm...

Everything from tight black pants to a lollipop dress... Was certainly not what I expected thats all!

It's a song contest not a fashion parade.

Azumanga Davo
27th May 2008, 10:28
It's a song contest not a fashion parade.

Are you sure? But I thought... :eek:

gadjo_dilo
27th May 2008, 10:39
Are you sure? But I thought... :eek:
You thought wrong. Just look at the last three winners: some finn monsters, the serbian version of Ugly Betty and a barefoot russian. :laugh: :laugh:

Sleeper
27th May 2008, 16:25
You thought wrong. Just look at the last three winners: some finn monsters, the serbian version of Ugly Betty and a barefoot russian. :laugh: :laugh:
I think he was reffering to the first part of your post "its a song contest" ;)

Azumanga Davo
27th May 2008, 16:47

Finn Monsters, what, like Naomi Campbell? :s

gadjo_dilo
28th May 2008, 08:24
I've just thought how many other crap songs were in the past and remember a song with the chorus " le papa pingouin, le papa pingouin, le papa, le papa, le papa pingouin ". It was sung by two girls dressed as penguins.
I googled it to share the fun with you but all I could get is this links :

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/eurovision-1980-luxembourg/3061791529

http://www.nme.com/video/id/tmfpBguslRU/search/penguin

Don't know if it works.

DonnieDarco
28th May 2008, 09:34
I have a good laugh seeing your comments about the "skater " and it's weird that none of you recognized Evgeni Plushenko, olympic, world and european champion.

Why would we? The idea of having a roller skating olympic champion circling around a space the size of a postage stamp just to accompany a song though, is even funnier.

The voting system is not political ( give me a reason why Georgia wpuld give 12 points to Russia :laugh: , and why Serbia would give 0 points to Romania after its Kosovo supporting) but emotional, based on sympathy.

The voting system most certainly is political, its a complete joke. Its been going on for a few years now, and is completely obvious to almost everyone else.

I'm afraid you'll never understand this voting as long as you can name Goran Bregovoc's orchestra fur weddings and funerals "the terrible 'entertainment' during the intermission " . The guy is huge in the Balkans , any balkanic inhabitant would react at his music, even those who has no origins in former Yugoslavia. It's the style of music of the region and the influences may be seen for ex. in the serbian or croatian songs of this edition.

I'm sorry you took offence to my comment about the 'entertainment' during the intermission. I am not from the Balkans, and I thought it would never end. I also could not tell which part of it was for funerals and which for weddings.

Anyone who can seriously sit and watch the song contest and actually still think it is a song contest and not a political arena, has bigger problems than their taste in music. This is not about the UK not having a good song, or having a good song. I hjave been watching Eurovision for a damn sight more years than you I feel almost certain, and I am perfectly able to spot political voting from genuine and free voting.

Azumanga Davo
28th May 2008, 11:43
Crazy Frog was a hit a while back. Our musical taste has gone out the window a long time ago, that's why this compo lives on.

gadjo_dilo
28th May 2008, 12:37
Sorry Donnie but I'm afraid you quoted a few things that don't belong to me but are your own views, didn't you?

Why would we? The idea of having a roller skating olympic champion circling around a space the size of a postage stamp just to accompany a song though, is even funnier..
A song may be a masterpiece of composition and may be performed correctly but if it can't induce en emotion in you, it's in vain. European space is culturally diffrent and it's unlikely that a sound that is familiar in the east ( for ex. ) would be received properly in other part of the continent ( and viceversa ). That's why those who want to win use little tricks like dancing, clothes changing, sparklers, special effects.
Coming back to our champion, the guys who were in the audience said that at the beginning when the singer was crawling on the floor, the audience clapped their hands and waved the flags but when Plushenko came on stage everybody stood up . Having 2 personalities on stage certainly helped,

The voting system most certainly is political, its a complete joke. Its been going on for a few years now, and is completely obvious to almost everyone else..
Give me a break....How fair was the contest in the past when the former communist block wasn't part of the contest and countries like Turkey, Greece, Cyprus and Yugoslavia never got points from the west? And when Germany never gave points to Israel. :laugh:

Anyone who can seriously sit and watch the song contest and actually still think it is a song contest and not a political arena, has bigger problems than their taste in music. ..

So what? I made it clear from the start I'm a " dilo " when I choose my nickname. :laugh: There's no need to be rude just because I don't understand why Russia who opresed so many countries have now political votes from them. I just think it's something else.

This is not about the UK not having a good song, or having a good song. I hjave been watching Eurovision for a damn sight more years than you I feel almost certain, and I am perfectly able to spot political voting from genuine and free voting...

Sorry Donnie, I have reasons to think you're still a junior. Anyway I gave motivations and examples to sustain my opinions, I don't want you or anybody else to agree with me.

I just want a honest opinion: Who do you thinck it deserved to be this year's winner ? And why?

stevie_gerrard
4th June 2008, 11:14
I thought this was brilliant viewing, instead of hoping britain win, me and my girflfriend had guesses on who was going to get 12 points from each country. We got most of them right :p :

Gotta love Spains entry, 4... ROBOCOP!! :laugh:

Still, to see Britain finishing joint last is a terrible shame, i honestly thought we would finish ahead of countries like Spain or france or Armenia (whose song was terrible and was constantly challenging to win the tihng :eek: )

Garry Walker
4th June 2008, 23:01

No. Why would it?

ShiftingGears
7th June 2008, 06:38
No. Why would it?

Because the airways would be graced by those brilliant musicians :laugh:

SOD
7th June 2008, 09:15

Awful songs, awful voting. When someone like dima bilan wins with that song, you know how bad things are.

Even your average Simon Cowell show offers much much more.

what ever happened to the American attitude of "you have a right to enjoy it"

too bad you arent the arbiter of culture, I hope it doesnt disappoint you.