PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500 role call

usgrandprix
19th May 2008, 17:06
What's your 500 story? Are you going? First time? 40th time?

As for me:

Seats: 1st turn
Distance traveling: 15 miles
500s attended: ~20
Rooting for: Helio, Marco, Graham, Bruno
Rooting against: Rain and cautions (but wishing PT were on this list)

seppefan
19th May 2008, 17:17
Seats : Dont know yet
Distance : I will tell you after but London, UK to Indy
Attendance: Virgin
Rooting for: Justin Wilson, Tony Kanaan, Bruno, Oriol & Scott Dixon
Rooting against: Rain and wish Nelson Philippe was on the list

!!WALDO!!
19th May 2008, 17:45
Seats: 4th turn
Distance traveling: 200 miles
500s attended: ~92
Rooting for: A.J. IV and seeing Melissa and Joyce.
Rooting against: Rain, Wheldon and not a first time winner.

garyshell
19th May 2008, 17:49
500s attended: ~92

Looks like Uncle Waldo is a bit older than we all thought!!!

Gary

garyshell
19th May 2008, 18:13
Seats: my couch at home
Distance traveling: living room to kitchen and back
500s attended: every one I can remember since around 1957. Most in the same mode as this year or via a transistor radio damn near glued to my ear in the days of tape delay video broadcast.
Rooting for: Graham, Justin, TK, Bruno, Orial, Marco, Helio a nice safe race
Rooting against: Rain, the fact that PT and Tags aren't in the field

I'm not excited by sitting in the same hard cramped bleacher seat all day long at an oval for a minimum of $80. I've done it, but honestly I enjoy the oval experience in front of the tube a lot more. I see more, hear more and don't have an aching back for three days after. Don't get me wrong, I do miss the smells and the rush being trackside. Just not enough to offset the HORRIBLE seating and pain in my wallet. Now a road course where I can bring a seat with a back, move around and see different places throughout the day, that I'll do in a heartbeat.

I wish the rest of you a good time, skinny folks on either side of your seat and no one with size 14 clodhoppers at your back. I'll certainly be there in spirit as always.

Gary

dataman1
19th May 2008, 18:40
Seats: My couch in my family room.
Distance of Travel: zero
500s Attended: 27 - all before the split.
Rooting for: EJ Viso, Bruno, Oriol or Justin
Rooting against: Rain & nobody else, may they all have a safe race.

I have a c-band dish and can pick up the direct feed from Indy without commercials. It is kind of cool to hear the on-screen talent plan their intro following commercial break. I usually have the 500 radio network plugged into one ear. I doubt I will ever go back now the I have worked races for 25+ years. The ICS won't answer my attempts to communicate so I won't buy their tickets. Bitter? A little. But I wish all the teams and drivers great success. For all you that go, may the guy next to you stay sober and the guy behind you not spill his drink down your back. Safe journey to all.

BobGarage
19th May 2008, 18:46
Seats: In front of my TV at home
Distance of Travel: zero
500s Attended: 4 - 93, 94, 95, 08 (all at home in front of TV)
Rooting for: Wilson, GRahal, Power, Servia, Viso, Bruno
Rooting against: Wheldon, Helio and all of AGR.

johnny shell
19th May 2008, 20:00
Seats: end of front straight entering turn 1
Distance: from Louisville, 100 something miles I reckin
500s attended: most since 81 or so, missed a couple early in the split and in '89 when I graduated high school (it was a tough call!)
Rooting for: In order - Wilson & Graham, Tomas, Vitor, Ryan, Marco, & Helio because that's who I bet on. Wilson has 100-1 odds!
Rooting Against - Everyone else, especially the Target cars & TK even though I like him. And Danica.

dustman
19th May 2008, 21:12
Seats: Front strentch - outside
Travel - 10 mi Danville, IN
Races- 1972-1985 present, probably half the remainder. Always on TV
Go! - John Andretti

BenRoethig
19th May 2008, 22:25
Seats: hopefully a sports bar with a wall TV (hopefully actually there in '09)
Travel: Couple of miles
500s attended none, but have seen every one since the late 80s.
Rooting for: Marco or Graham. If Indycar racing returns to prominence, it will be on their backs.
Rooting Against: The favorite whoever that may be.

millencolin
20th May 2008, 00:46
Seats: the downstairs couch... cup of coffee in both hands (who know what god awful hour it will be)
Travel: 20metres
500s attended: none, 500's watched with interest... bout 2 or 3
Cheering on: The Aussies of course, Servia too for that fact
Cheering against: the commentators, it better not be another bloody 'danica is the greatest thing since sliced bread so we will only talk about her' race

ChicagocrewIRL
20th May 2008, 04:08
SEATS : Stand A Box 1

DISTANCE : 2 1/2 - 3 hour hour drive (depending on how many Indiana State Troopers are on I-65) Chicago (North Shore) to the West Side of Indy.

INDY 500's ATTENDED: 2005,2006,2007,2008 but "attended" every one from in front of my TV since I was a little kid in the 70s growing up in Columbus, IN.

HOPING WINS THE RACE: RYAN, SCOTT, DANICA, TOMAS, VITOR, HIDEKI OR BRUNO

HOPING DOES NOT WIN: WHELDON

FAVORITE INDY MOMENT: Little Al giving Emo the the thumbs up after they touched wheels and Little Al flew into the wall after a furious lap by lap battle.

SECOND FAVORITE INDY MOMENT: Buddy Lazier climbing out of the car in excruciating pain after winning the 1996 Indy 500. Courage defined.

garyshell
20th May 2008, 04:39
FAVORITE INDY MOMENT: Little Al giving Emo the the thumbs up after they touched wheels and Little Al flew into the wall after a furious lap by lap battle.

My favorite moment as well. But in a close tie for first place, was Bobby Rahal drinking the milk with Jim Trueman at his side. It was a bitter sweet moment, because one look at Jim and you knew he wasn't going to be with us much longer. Seeing Jim's dream fullfilled that day still brings a tear to my eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsZ1RYYjK7k

Gary

!!WALDO!!
21st May 2008, 19:37
500s attended: every one I can remember since around 1957. Most in the same mode as this year or via a transistor radio damn near glued to my ear in the days of tape delay video broadcast.
I realize some here may not like what I am going to say due to my inflection and tone. (Both can only be made by the reader, not by words typed.) I read the above line and I am missing something in that statement, passion. So maybe my personal experiences and those like me that feel that passion may clear things up slightly. Again I want to I am sorry to those that will read it differently than intended by the person typing this, me.

In 1964 when I went through the South End Tunnel on the third day of qualifying, this 10 year old kid immediately felt a tingling sensation and Goosebumps. I said to my dad that I was feeling this and he said, “I felt mine in 1932.” Then he asked me what I made of that. I said, “I felt this at the Gettysburg National Military Park two years ago but I believe today I am at a place where men came to test themselves, in untested equipment in search of speed to start a race that on that day can give them glory.” Pretty profound from a 10 year old, at least my dad thought so. Soon I was in procession of the 500 Program and then saw the pages of men that actually found that fleeting glory. Little pictures of the drivers head, car the top 10 results and the rest of the starters and the laps completed. By the time I walked out of there I already knew more than most. 4 years later, I was subscribed to National Speed Sport News in January (Still now 40 years later) and started following all of racing much closer. Those reading my 1968 are reading stuff from NSSN and the Indy stuff from the Star and News, NSSN, Dailies I was given on the third day, witnessing in person, and hearing on WIBC and all from notes written at the time.

I got to interview the 1929 pole sitter, other winners from a past era, and many starters over the years. By the time I was 16, I was included in a group of people that were considered aficionados of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and all those races that led to the Speedway. It was interesting bench racing and hearing the stories of those that would seek glory and in that reinforced the religion that we all feel when we are on the grounds, hear it on the radio, watch it on TV or even see and video tape of a race like 1957. There are about 100-125 of these aficionados left. I could take a Gary to the Yard of Bricks and start walking toward turn one and 5 hours later reach it again describing almost every foot and every race would be discussed and points where things happen. So have I been to all the 500s? Yes because I can close my eyes and see Ray Harroun working his way to the front in 1911. The smooth and blind in one eye, Tommy Milton driving to victory in a Frontenac in 1921 or Louis Schneider in 1931 surprise everyone and ending up at that little grassy area at the south end of the pits. I can see Floyd Davis climbing out and Mauri Rose driving the Noc-Out Hose Clamp to Victory. Lee Wallard winning in 1951 is as clear as a bell as I see him getting beat up in the light weight car on the way to being the first to complete the 500 in under 4 hours. The famous duel of Sachs/Foyt for me is like I was there at every point, even in the pits with 3 to go when Eddie stopped giving up a sure win to A.J. I see Al winning in a dominating style in 1971 to win his second 500 and his second 500 at age 30. Watched and still see Bobby Unser pass 9 cars and Mario be declared the winner and back to Bobby. I can’t forget the outside pass of Rick Mears in turn one on Mike Andretti and Helio first win in 2001. So yes in the minds of us aficionados we have been to all the races. We all have one goal; TRUTH. No opinions are held by anyone, as the opinions have already been played out by very brave men trying to do 500 miles.

See for us, the Month of May is like a religious experience to those so touched. Like true touched people we all need to come back. In 1986 on the Third Day I drove into the Speedway for the first time in 13 years and I had to sit in my car for 10 minutes collecting myself as a 32 year old man was crying. A yellow shirt sad, “It happens to many of us.”

When I read the above statement there was no depth to it. The Radio Broadcast was the only pictures that came from Indianapolis for years, yet no mention of the person that painted the picture so vividly that you were there. At 10:10AM on Memorial Day I would tune in the radio to that station covering the race. I had my score sheets and note pads made and I waited in anticipation of the start of the broadcast. At 10:15AM the magic started and the Goosebumps started. “For thirty days, men and machine have come here looking for speed to make the race, after 4 days of speed runs we have the thirty-three fastest drivers in the world. The preparations have been made and those thirty-three are ready as today is RACE DAY IN INDIANAPOLIS.” That to this day gives me chills and moist eyes even typing it. “The 500, the 500, the greatest race in world. From the opening gun, until the race is done, is thrill after thrill after thrill. The 500, the 500 the greatest event of them all and until the checkered flag unfurls, is the greatest race in the world.”
“Direct from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, 1957 Indianapolis 500 mile race.”

Over the next 35 minutes you heard the line up, some short interviews, commercials that were proceeded with; “Stay tune to the Greatest Spectacle in Racing.”
John DeCamp with the man that painted the pictures would explain he would supply 10 lap run downs as time allowed. The man that painted the pictures introduced us to the driver expert and those covering the race from different locations around the track. Then the emotions started to rise as Taps, Star Spangled Banner and Back Home Again in Indiana, the broadcast was passed off to Luke Walton. We in the know knew what was next as he described some of the dignitaries in the area of the pace car, maybe a quick word with pace car driver and the last person named was “and now Mr. Tony Hulman”. “Gentleman Start your Ennginnnnes” People like me burst into tears, still to this day even telling this story.

Now the emotions were as sharp as razorblades as we got ready for the green flag from Bill Vanderwater. The pace lap is passed around until passed back to the man that painted the pictures, to call the start of the race. So as laps passed, the emotions began to settle down. Now people like me got into the scoring 1, 2, 4 and 10 laps and the every 10 after that.

By the half way point, the picture was getting pretty clear and a yawn is executed as the physical body is already tired from the emotional rollercoaster, which would start to climb again very soon. There was soon 100 miles to go as the race was closing to the finish. The emotions began to climb. Then 20 laps and then 10 laps, my beloved race was rapidly coming to an end. Very soon the man that painted the pictures then say; “There is the White Flag, let’s follow him around.” They follow him with little praises of his drive. As he comes out of turn 4 they pass it back to the man that painted the pictures and he says; “There’s the Checkered Flag and Sam Hanks wins the 1957 Indianapolis 500 mile race.” The race continues for another 15 minutes but soon Sam arrives at that stretch of grass at the south end of pits and passes it of to another voice to interview the winner as he arrives. Sam is very happy that he made it, handed the Star with the headlines, HANKS WINS 500! He makes more news by announcing he was retiring from racing on the greatest day of his life.

Over the next 35 minutes, there are interviews, full results, more pictures and more emotions as we were getting very close to the end. The man that painted the pictures started to say; “Now the engines are all quiet and the people are leaving. Sam Hanks has won and retired. To quote Booker T. Washington who said; ‘Success is to be measured not so much what one has accomplished in life but by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed.’ Sam Hanks overcame many of those obstacles today. (Music in the background) Until we meet back here on May 30th, 1958, it is Good Morning, Good Afternoon or Good Evening, depending where in the world right now. We are at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, at the Cross Roads of America. Good Bye.” Music ends and the “This has been a Presentation of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network.”

The emotions erupt into tears and you sit in a trance looking at your score sheet and notes, wiping yours eyes and by 3:30PM you are outside and a friend asks, “How was the race?” “Not bad", you say as you cannot share your true emotions with a non believer. (I didn't hear the 1957 500)

I am amazed the man that painted the pictures is not mentioned by those that heard him from 1948-1976. He committed suicide in May 1977 after being diagnosed with ALS and in his will gave his job to a second year guy, Paul Page and in the year of Foyt’s fourth, Paul did not miss a beat. I sent him a letter stating that.

If a person listened for 51 years, they must know truth from fiction and us that are those that “pray” to the Old Lady in charge of the Grand Old Track, we cared less about CART or the CCWS as it just distracted us from the reality of truth. Of those 100-125 the ones that actually supported CART could be counted on fingers and toes. Old timers really didn’t care as it was political and politics played in our sport, hurt it every time it was played.

The truth is, my emotions have changed but every time I step back, it moves me to tears as a true fan of that place can only have passion. Passion sometimes has a language which others do not like.

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

garyshell
21st May 2008, 20:02

I realize some here may not like what I am going to say due to my inflection and tone. (Both can only be made by the reader, not by words typed.) I read the above line and I am missing something in that statement, passion. So maybe my personal experiences and those like me that feel that passion may clear things up slightly. Again I want to I am sorry to those that will read it differently than intended by the person typing this, me.

Isn't it just amazing how Uncle Waldo is able to deduce inflection and tone by the words others type and yet we mere mortals aren't privileged to do the same. Guess it just goes to show, once again, how much better he is than the rest of us. Just ask him.

Gary

!!WALDO!!
21st May 2008, 22:25
Isn't it just amazing how Uncle Waldo is able to deduce inflection and tone by the words others type and yet we mere mortals aren't privileged to do the same. Guess it just goes to show, once again, how much better he is than the rest of us. Just ask him.

Gary

So if you can, I can't?

You missed the point. I haven't listened to a 500 broadcast in 12 years but everyone is engrained into my memories. You do not seem to have those. So Gary, who was that man who painted those pictures that engrained my memory. I can still hear his voice today. If you had been listening and viewing on your magic TV since 1957 you listen to him call 19 races.

His voice, his words, his emotions made the 500 forever memorable.

You just want to make it personal, me I was just pointing a vast difference between you and me. Passion for the sport, not despising everything you don’t understand in favor of “how you learned it”. (Not my words but yours)
Racing is about getting a size 14 in the back, talking to those around me. Railbirding with those smart enough to stay away from a forum like this because of a lack of civility with people that know the truth.

It was funny the other night the email that was read on Wind Tunnel from someone in California. “Move the race to Monday, like it used to be so the NASCAR guys can come and race. Many years ago Richard Petty in the STP Turbine had the field covered until a $0.50 seal broke letting someone else win.”

Here that would be applauded for being an opinion when there was not one bit of truth in it. Even Robin Miller rolled his eyes. If that was posted here and I corrected it then I would be slammed, because that isn’t the way it was learned.

See words have meaning and if you can read words you can find emotions, not tone or inflections or viciousness. I did teach English so when I read, I go monotone unless it is a story. Then I see the direction and input tone or inflection as needed.

See it is about race and how it affected me for 44 years not your words the rung empty of emotions thus lacking the passion of expression. Too bad you didn't read past the first paragraph as you wouldn't have taken my words out of context like you always do.

Chaparral66
21st May 2008, 22:28
Seats: I will be joining a friend of mine at his house near Providence, RI.

Distance Traveling: That's a 45 mile drive from where I live just outside of Boston.

Races attended: Still working on that one, but someday it will happen. When it does, I have an agreement with indycool to join him for lunch and to race karts.

Rooting for: Marco, Graham, Danica, Buddy Lazier, PT (he should be there)

Rooting against: Rain

Looking forward to this. I hope ABC does its part and gives good coverage. Anyone seen Paul Page?

Vegasguy
21st May 2008, 22:31
Seats - Sports bar or couch, not decided
Travel - 0 or about 8 miles
500's attended - None, watched all from about 77 through 95, took a few years off then started watching when Helio moved over. Hell I used to listen to it live on the radio before the race was on TV.

Hoping who will win - Helio, John (dark horse)

Hoping who does not win - Danica (I can just imagine how bad the hype will be)

Chaparral66
21st May 2008, 22:31
So if you can, I can't?

You missed the point. I haven't listened to a 500 broadcast in 12 years but everyone is engrained into my memories. You do not seem to have those. So Gary, who was that man who painted those pictures that engrained my memory. I can still hear his voice today. If you had been listening and viewing on your magic TV since 1957 you listen to him call 19 races.

His voice, his words, his emotions made the 500 forever memorable.

You just want to make it personal, me I was just pointing a vast difference between you and me. Passion for the sport, not despising everything you don’t understand in favor of “how you learned it”. (Not my words but yours)
Racing is about getting a size 14 in the back, talking to those around me. Railbirding with those smart enough to stay away from a forum like this because of a lack of civility with people that know the truth.

It was funny the other night the email that was read on Wind Tunnel from someone in California. “Move the race to Monday, like it used to be so the NASCAR guys can come and race. Many years ago Richard Petty in the STP Turbine had the field covered until a $0.50 seal broke letting someone else win.”

Here that would be applauded for being an opinion when there was not one bit of truth in it. Even Robin Miller rolled his eyes. If that was posted here and I corrected it then I would be slammed, because that isn’t the way it was learned.

See words have meaning and if you can read words you can find emotions, not tone or inflections or viciousness. I did teach English so when I read, I go monotone unless it is a story. Then I see the direction and input tone or inflection as needed.

See it is about race and how it affected me for 44 years not your words the rung empty of emotions thus lacking the passion of expression. Too bad you didn't read past the first paragraph as you wouldn't have taken my words out of context like you always do.

Richard Petty? Waldo, did the email really get read like that? I assume that person meant the 1967 race in which the turbine was driven by Parnelli Jones...

Vegasguy
21st May 2008, 22:35
Anyone seen Paul Page?

Yep.... doing his damage to the NHRA.

Sorry, couldn't resist, I just don't care for his commentating. And when it was him and Bobby Unser I really had trouble watching

!!WALDO!!
21st May 2008, 22:41
Richard Petty? Waldo, did the email really get read like that? I assume that person meant the 1967 race in which the turbine was driven by Parnelli Jones...

Yes!!!

Few races, about 11 were scheduled for Monday as it was May 30th.
That race in 1967 was scheduled for a Tuesday and finished on Wednesday.
Parnelli led 171 before a $6.00 Ball bearing in the gearbox failed.
Richard Petty won 27 races in NASCAR that year.
Richard Petty never turned a lap at IMS.
Richard Petty did not get STP Sponsorship until 1971.

See that is how he learned it, and even Dave and Robin cannot convince him.

Chaparral66
21st May 2008, 23:48
What gets me, is that 1967 was a important year for racing, and Foyt's landmark success at Indy and just a few weeks later at Le Mans with Dan Gurney is a matter of record that anyone can find just by Googling. There have been plenty of books written on that race and plenty of material on the internet about it...

!!WALDO!!
22nd May 2008, 00:04
What gets me, is that 1967 was a important year for racing, and Foyt's landmark success at Indy and just a few weeks later at Le Mans with Dan Gurney is a matter of record that anyone can find just by Googling. There have been plenty of books written on that race and plenty of material on the internet about it...

Yes but it wasn't how he learned it. Thus all of us alive that saw it, heard it, read it, felt the emotions of the moment, all the books, magazines and the drivers who did it actually know less than this guy because he read it on the internet.

Remember it is up to the person making the corrections to prove via internet with link, the proof. Being there counts for nothing as does driving the car.

millencolin
22nd May 2008, 00:54
Yep.... doing his damage to the NHRA.

Sorry, couldn't resist, I just don't care for his commentating. And when it was him and Bobby Unser I really had trouble watching

I prefer him though to the current commentary team. Page wasn't perfect, but he wasn't monotone, boring and constantly talking about the same subject (guess what im refering too... it starts with a D :p : )

ShiftingGears
22nd May 2008, 01:31
From what I've seen of Pages commentary, he seems pretty good.

ACTF_ZETT
22nd May 2008, 08:47
Seats: 4th turn, Stand H, Row JJ, Seat 4
Distance traveling: 190.06 Miles
500s attended: This will be my 13th (Did not stay in 97 for the Monday Race)
Rooting for: Kanaan
Rooting against: Rain (good call by others but we look good so far) and Scheckter.

I will be down early Saturday for the autograph session.

If you go to the drivers meeting I will be the one swearing a Scheckter.

If Vasser is in the garage area I will be the one cussing him out to go back to Michigan for the weekend because "Who needs milk." (Jackass)

I could possibly be the one making out with Julianne Hough.

I want Kanaan to win, but im imagining the crowd if Danica could pull it off...

OH< I will be enjoying an IRL race for the first time since September without having to listen to horrible announcers. FOR THE 50TH TIME PLEASE BRING BACK PAUL PAGE. NOW.

Vegasguy
22nd May 2008, 16:52
I prefer him though to the current commentary team. Page wasn't perfect, but he wasn't monotone, boring and constantly talking about the same subject (guess what im refering too... it starts with a D :p : )

Oh don't get everyone fired up with that D thingy....

I think my biggest problem with PP was that when he was doing the commentary there were (IMHO) better guys available. I watched some of the NHRA stuff the other day and he did do a better job than I have seen him do in the past.
But then again, I don't know much about drag racing so had he been making mistakes I never would have known.

Brad Erman
22nd May 2008, 19:08
Richard Petty never turned a lap at IMS.

Not true, I was there. It was in the lead up to the first Brickyard 400. RP turned several hot laps and, we were told, refused to bring it in for several more laps after he'd been told to bring it in.

Seats: Section C Front Straightaway
Distance: 60 miles (substantially down from previous years)
500s Attended: 1976-1995 & 2001 (even though "we" were kicking butt in '01 it no longer felt like home)
Rooting For: Rahal, Power & Wilson
Rooting Against: Another split

garyshell
22nd May 2008, 19:45
So if you can, I can't?

I never admonished the reader that the they shouldn't try to deduce my tone or intent and then went on to do exactly that to someone else's words.

Hmm, I just did a search of this forum and found no such quote attributed to me. The only thing even marginally close was about the January weather in Australia. Surely you are not dredging that up and trying to apply it here. I wasn't the one making this personal. Of all the replies to this thread specifically about what 500's folks attended, you choose mine as the one lacking the "proper" passion. Despite the fact that I described the fact that, as a child, I had a transistor radio damn near glued to my ear to hear every moment and several others responses were clearly less passionate. Sorry that doesn't meet YOUR criteria for passion.

See it is about race and how it affected me for 44 years not your words the rung empty of emotions thus lacking the passion of expression.

Or is it about the fact that some of us choose to give a short concise response like the person who started the thread, while some of us want to droll on and on at every opportunity about all the detail that they know and how that makes them a more passionate fan, a better fan, a keeper of the truth etc. etc. etc. We get it. You're much better than us. We bow and kiss the ring. Feel better now?

Gary

!!WALDO!!
23rd May 2008, 00:11
I never admonished the reader that the they shouldn't try to deduce my tone or intent and then went on to do exactly that to someone else's words.

You do all the time. I try to be nice and you take a sentence out of context and use that as proof. Too bad you don’t read, the next to last time you did that, I was using the exact words of “Ken” yet you assumed they were mine.

Hmm, I just did a search of this forum and found no such quote attributed to me. The only thing even marginally close was about the January weather in Australia. Surely you are not dredging that up and trying to apply it here. I wasn't the one making this personal. Of all the replies to this thread specifically about what 500's folks attended, you choose mine as the one lacking the "proper" passion. Despite the fact that I described the fact that, as a child, I had a transistor radio damn near glued to my ear to hear every moment and several others responses were clearly less passionate. Sorry that doesn't meet YOUR criteria for passion.

No, you said it. Why would it stick in my mind the man that painted the picture that seem to avoiding? You said it and stuck to it. I remember everything I type or say, you deny first and then swing it as my fault.
If you as a child had that then you know the voice I am talking about. So your 59 years on this planet based on your insistence on being always right when you just demonstrate despise for anyone that dares to question you.

Or is it about the fact that some of us choose to give a short concise response like the person who started the thread, while some of us want to droll on and on at every opportunity about all the detail that they know and how that makes them a more passionate fan, a better fan, a keeper of the truth etc. etc. etc. We get it. You're much better than us. We bow and kiss the ring. Feel better now?

Droll on? See you have no passion. Notice I did make that post first, yet I read your post and it reminded me of that “Richard Petty” email on Wind Tunnel.
See my point is if you listened for 19 years it would be engrained like me after one.
That is why those words and your attempts to swing away from the real issue of a person’s love of the place. I see you still didn’t read it but it was for people that cared.

!!WALDO!!
23rd May 2008, 00:15
Not true, I was there. It was in the lead up to the first Brickyard 400. RP turned several hot laps and, we were told, refused to bring it in for several more laps after he'd been told to bring it in.

Seats: Section C Front Straightaway
Distance: 60 miles (substantially down from previous years)
500s Attended: 1976-1995 & 2001 (even though "we" were kicking butt in '01 it no longer felt like home)
Rooting For: Rahal, Power & Wilson
Rooting Against: Another split

Was it 1992 or after he retired in 1993 for the "Show and Tell" a year before the Brickyard.

Who was "we"?

Brad Erman
23rd May 2008, 01:42
Was it 1992 or after he retired in 1993 for the "Show and Tell" a year before the Brickyard.

Who was "we"?

I don't follow NASCAR closely but I'm almost certain he was retired. The "we" I refered to was (then) CART drivers 1-5 at the finish. CART was my team during the split and I am glad the war is over.

FormerFF
23rd May 2008, 03:37
Being that it's a holiday weekend, I usually wind up missing Indy. It looks like the weather will be good, so I'm going hang gliding instead of watching the race.

garyshell
23rd May 2008, 04:56
You do all the time. I try to be nice and you take a sentence out of context and use that as proof. Too bad you don’t read, the next to last time you did that, I was using the exact words of “Ken” yet you assumed they were mine.

No, you said it. Why would it stick in my mind the man that painted the picture that seem to avoiding? You said it and stuck to it. I remember everything I type or say, you deny first and then swing it as my fault.
If you as a child had that then you know the voice I am talking about. So your 59 years on this planet based on your insistence on being always right when you just demonstrate despise for anyone that dares to question you.

Droll on? See you have no passion. Notice I did make that post first, yet I read your post and it reminded me of that “Richard Petty” email on Wind Tunnel.
See my point is if you listened for 19 years it would be engrained like me after one.
That is why those words and your attempts to swing away from the real issue of a person’s love of the place. I see you still didn’t read it but it was for people that cared.

If you say so, Uncle Waldo. [shakes head]

Gary

gofastandwynn
23rd May 2008, 08:12

Who was "we"?

IIRC is was the tire test in 1993 when the King drove around the Speedway. The cars is in the IMS Museum witht the background story.

millencolin
23rd May 2008, 12:19
I remember everything I type or say, you deny first and then swing it as my fault.

No offence, but I find that after 650 posts that being able to remember everything is a little hard to believe. 650 individual posts remembered... doubtful

don't get me wrong, some people have better memories than others (mine can be appauling at the best of times, i think forgetting my girlfriends birthday last year proves my dodgy memory), but remembering over 650 posts on some internet site... come on...

ShiftingGears
23rd May 2008, 13:38
i think forgetting my girlfriends birthday last year proves my dodgy memory),

LOL

How'd she take it?

!!WALDO!!
23rd May 2008, 16:57
No offence, but I find that after 650 posts that being able to remember everything is a little hard to believe. 650 individual posts remembered... doubtful

don't get me wrong, some people have better memories than others (mine can be appauling at the best of times, i think forgetting my girlfriends birthday last year proves my dodgy memory), but remembering over 650 posts on some internet site... come on...

Photographic memory, I write the words then they are remembered. I am sorry I was blessed with that and you weren't. I got 5 girlfriends and know each brithdays and even my ex-wife's which is up the day after Texas.

!!WALDO!!
23rd May 2008, 17:04
IIRC is was the tire test in 1993 when the King drove around the Speedway. The cars is in the IMS Museum witht the background story.

Interesting because I can tell you that NASCAR and IMS must have been peeved. It makes a great story but since Richard was retired he did not hold a competitors license which carries a different insurance than that of car owner. So I would assume they made him pay a hefty fine.

In 1966, a car was owned by 1960 Winner, Jim Rathmann, Gordon Cooper and Gus Grissom. One afternoon, the car was on the track and USAC noticed Art Pollard, the driver sitting on the pitwall. Finally one of the astronauts gave up Jim Rathmann as the driver. It cost the team $2,000. Serious money in 1966.

Makes no difference, hero of the Speedway or hero of racing, you must be licensed.

!!WALDO!!
23rd May 2008, 17:21
I don't follow NASCAR closely but I'm almost certain he was retired. The "we" I refered to was (then) CART drivers 1-5 at the finish. CART was my team during the split and I am glad the war is over.

You mean 3 Ganassi Cars and 2 Penske cars? Interestingly, the two Penske cars ran Phoenix that year, thus they had to join the IRL and scored IRL points. Ganassi two drivers from CART raced on their CART license via FIA rules and Tony ran on his NASCAR license.

So only two cars were "we" and did not win.

Scheckterfan54
23rd May 2008, 17:47
Seats: 2nd turn
Distance: about 15 miles(greenwood, IN)
500's: about 10
Rooting For: Tomas, Dan, Lazier
Rooting Against: Roth, Quattro, and Milka

FormerFF
23rd May 2008, 20:11

Go Tomas!

16&amp;Gtown
24th May 2008, 02:23

Seat next to Scheckterfan
Distance: 10 Miles
500's 13
Rooting For: Dixon, Kanaan, Tomas, and Marco
Rooting Against, ROTH, Milka, Mutoh,Hamilton,Lloyd

IWUTitan90
24th May 2008, 05:23
Seats - Stand B
Distance - 136 miles
500's - 31

Rooting for - the 33 best and bravest :up:

Rooting against - precipitation :down:

Scheckterfan54
26th May 2008, 02:57
Looking forward to this. I hope ABC does its part and gives good coverage. Anyone seen Paul Page?

Paul Page was reporting for 1070 The Fan from 16th and GTown saturday night during their all night classic race replay. Sounded like he was was enjoying the scenery while enjoying a nice iced beverage. I still would love to have him back, he was the only announcer that made it seem like he truly cared for it. Marty Reid would cover the world ice melting championships if they paid him to do it, and then would screw it up by his stupid unfunny jokes.

coogmaster
26th May 2008, 21:26
SEATS: 2nd turn, stand G, top row
DISTANCE: ~10 miles
500's: 15

ROOTING FOR: Tomas, Tony, Ed, Vitor, Buddy and Buddy.

ROOTING AGAINST: Danica, Danica, Danica.