PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP Pre Season Tests

fatman
22nd January 2007, 22:22
Day one of the first test after winter break is over so I find myself checking all the regular web sites on an hour by hour basis to see what details and images are being posted.

Don't think we can tell too much about the posted times just yet. Everything is bound to get faster tomorrow and the next day. Although I'm happy to see Hoppers sitting on top. WTF is up with the hondas ?

Also. It would be cool if Rossi and Edwards keep the colors they are testing with all season long. The bright yellow/red contrast against the black and are probably pretty distracting for other riders trying to follow them.

jim mcglinchey
22nd January 2007, 23:31
Hopper was well clear of the rest and it was great to see Chrissie next best. Maybe Suzook have stolen an edge with their high revin' pneumatic valve jiggery pokery.

jim mcglinchey
24th January 2007, 10:19
....and the leading two on the second day of testing are beating the 990cc lap records! What do they have to do to slow these guys down?

Donney
24th January 2007, 12:38
Give them a bycicle!

ShiftingGears
24th January 2007, 13:44
....and the leading two on the second day of testing are beating the 990cc lap records! What do they have to do to slow these guys down?

I think Kenny ROberts said something to the extent last year that the computers in the bikes will just keep improving so the bikes are faster constantly. Sorry I cant supply a quote.

So I would think less computers on the bikes, and, some tyre regs would definitely slow them down.

fatman
24th January 2007, 14:53
Perhaps they are 'slower'. Hard to say what times people would be setting if they were still on 990s. Anyway, the real difference from the change to 800s will be seen come the first race. With quicker corner speeds the dynamics of a race could certainly change.

Anyway, the first test is over and I am left wanting more !! So nice to see Hopper running at the front. I can only pray that his bike only gets more and more competitive. Rossi, Chris V and perhaps even Randy deP all look very strong and consistent.

Thank god Phillip Island is only a week away. The Island is a much different track than Sepang so it will be interesting to see who are the front runners there. Suzuki typically doesn't do well at PI. I also expect HRC to be getting their act together real soon.

harsha
24th January 2007, 15:21
over a lap,i don't think the 800's will be that much slower than a 990 given a year's time though

patnicholls
25th January 2007, 00:57
The 250s and 125s have also been playing round Jerez, some interesting stuff there too.

Hector Barbera's going well with the Team Toth Aprilia, as is new-to-250s Thomas Luthi with Elit Caffe Latte which is good to see. Bautista isn't quite on the pace yet, and we haven't seen the Hondas and KTMs alongside the Aprilias yet.

In the 125s, it's all over the place - of course - although the Aspar bike of Talmacsi ended top of the pile. Also quick at various points were Mike di Meglio (who sunk in 2006 but should be back on form this year with a good team), Bradley Smith (cue Brit cheer alert), Nico Terol (coming good now after a slow start in GPs), and Federico Sandi (who isn't even on my League prices yet). Again, some of the Hondas and the KTMs weren't there, so the picture isn't clear just yet.

Pantah Jack
25th January 2007, 01:09
Interesting to see Lorenzo down the sheet a little.....only 6 laps on final day -must be crook ? And what about Imre Toth ? 2.5 secs slower than teammate Barbera. The young Thai guy picked up 2 secs from day 1 to day 2. Good to see !

patnicholls
29th January 2007, 23:38
Ratthapark Wilairot is the young Thai rider, he finished 10th at Motegi last year as a wildcard actually - very impressive for a debut!

He may find it tougher going getting used to all the European circuits as it's his first time on them all - that seems borne out by his testing times so far - but I hope he does well, as it'd be great to have a new nationality getting a look in.

Some more testing times for the 250s and 125s from Valencia are up on www.motogp.com (http://www.motogp.com) today too.