PDA

View Full Version : China Earthquake

maxu05
19th May 2008, 12:28
I have just learned, that 2 of my former students have died in the Earthquake in China. They were both happy, hard working and just fantastic students. I am feeling very sad right now. They had come to my city of Foshan to improve their English, and went back to Sichuan Province last year, to be with their family. I teach many students here, and I try to get to know every one of them, so, I can picture their faces and it has gutted me to think, I will never see them again.
RIP Tracey and Susie, I will miss you both.

Mark
19th May 2008, 12:33
That's horrible :( . That sort of thing on that sort of scale is totally unimaginable to most people :s

The Chineese government has come in for a lot of critism for various things but praise where it is due, they've responded well here.

paulcrazy
19th May 2008, 12:42
Believe it or not, I actually could feel the quake here in Hong Kong, which is over 1500km away from Sichuan. That was the biggest disaster I've ever seen in my life. I hope this kind of things will never happen again, in anywhere in the world.

Daniel
19th May 2008, 12:53
That's horrible :( . That sort of thing on that sort of scale is totally unimaginable to most people :s

The Chineese government has come in for a lot of critism for various things but praise where it is due, they've responded well here.

I agree. There's a lot to criticise about China but the way they've dealt with this is excellent. They let others in to help and they've not hidden anything :up: Sorry to hear about your students Maxu05 :(

J4MIE
19th May 2008, 12:55
Maxu sorry to hear that, I guess with something of this scale when huge numbers of people are affected I guess anywhere in the country will know(of) someone affected in the quake zone :(

Yes governments are not all bad, and I suppose the Burma situation makes them look even better too.

Daniel
19th May 2008, 12:56
Yes governments are not all bad, and I suppose the Burma situation makes them look even better too.

and China makes Burma look really bad considering what people think of China.....

Azumanga Davo
19th May 2008, 13:08
and China makes Burma look really bad considering what people think of China.....

China have the eyes of the world on them at the moment, so whilst it's not entirely surprising that their efforts here are more numerous and worthwhile, they have done a superb job of evacuating a large population away from more possible harm.

BDunnell
19th May 2008, 13:14
China have the eyes of the world on them at the moment, so whilst it's not entirely surprising that their efforts here are more numerous and worthwhile, they have done a superb job of evacuating a large population away from more possible harm.

The resources available have much to do with this, of course.

maxu05
19th May 2008, 13:48
Thanks for some kind words everyone. I think in times like these, you must forget about politics and consider the people. I have donated most of my monthly pay to the victims of this disaster. I am working with my cities radio station for an English competition, and the manager of the radio station informed me that they had a special fund raising event in my city. They managed to raise more than 120,000,000 RMB , (about 10,000,000 pounds) in 3 hours. In any language, that's generosity.

maxu05
19th May 2008, 13:58
We will have 3 days of mourning over here, so, that means that all entertainment programs have been suspended. The only tv we will have, will be news reports of the latest developments of the earthquake disaster. I think this just, as many people have been left homeless, without water, food, or shelter, so I don't think that refraining from tv entertainment will bother anyone. It will give us more time to reflect on how precious life is.

Daniel
19th May 2008, 14:23
Thanks for some kind words everyone. I think in times like these, you must forget about politics and consider the people.

Yup. Politics mean nothing when it comes to human lives.

A.F.F.
19th May 2008, 15:26
:(

Sorry to hear that maxu05.

Azumanga Davo
19th May 2008, 15:32
Back so soon? I swear your stints away get shorter each time... ;) (that was meant for devious Daniel of course :p : )

slinkster
19th May 2008, 16:48
:( Sorry to hear that maxuo5... very sad news.

maxu05
21st May 2008, 23:31
Statistics of the earthquake so far.

Confirmed dead - 34,074
Missing - 32,361
Injured - 245,963
Pulled alive from debri -60,020
Hospitalised - 52,934
Donations in cash so far 12.516 billion RMB
Loss to business in Sichuan - 67 billion

I have decided to inquire about taking in an orphan from this disaster. Perhaps I can do some good in this way.

Valve Bounce
22nd May 2008, 01:48
The resources available have much to do with this, of course.

I do feel I have to comment on this. The response from China was unbelievable; where the roads were cut, these guys just marched to the disaster areas. They were risking their lives to try to save survivors from the unstable collapsed buildings. It was more than just resources - it was dedication.

The resources are there in Burma too - the US Navy is less than an hour away from where they can provide humanitarian aid, which has been refused/forbidden by the Burmese Generals. The response of the Generals is totally inhumane and one really has to wonder what their agenda is to let the people die and disease set in.

I felt very, very sorry for all the families whose children died in the collapsed high rise schools. This is heart wrenching. :(