PDA

View Full Version : "10 pit stops"

usgrandprix
19th May 2008, 02:07
That's what Briscoe said today. Are they only getting like 20 laps on tires or is he overstating things?

That's going to make for a different sort of race.

Pit in/out under green will be crucial, the clockwork teams will have an advantage in the box, and someone might stretch worn tires on fuel--though that might be insane.

The fewer yellows, the more accentuated this will be.

Anybody know the word on tires?

NickFalzone
19th May 2008, 02:25
uh, why would tire wear be any different from previous years? If Penske is running so hard that they can't make a full fuel run then it's something with their setup. Or did Firestone provide a new compound?

usgrandprix
19th May 2008, 03:30
Well, I do know they are using the same compound as last year. That's why I'm asking. Why 10 stops? Maybe just disinformation from Ryan to keep the other teams off.

Of course, 20 is assuming green laps. I don't imagine 5 laps of yellow do much to the tires.

dataman1
19th May 2008, 12:51
I do not know what the fuel tank capacity is in the Dallara but it you estimate 25 gallons at 2.0 miles per gallon, it will take 10 tanks of fuel to go 500 miles. They start with one full tank so they have to stopy 9 more times.

Hey Hoop, you got any numbers you can share?

MarcoCheever
19th May 2008, 13:24
10 is the norm I think

usgrandprix
19th May 2008, 14:16
Maybe it's nothing, but you can go by these a bit. Last full race (2006) Sam stopped 6 times and the first time was on lap 38:

http://www1.indycar.com/scoring/2006/reports/indycarseries/indy/indycar-race-pitstopsummary.pdf

Last year Dixon went 36 laps one stint:

http://www1.indycar.com/scoring/2007/reports/indycarseries/indy/indycar-race-pitstopsummary.pdf

Of course the more yellows, the more stops, but to plan for 10 stops seems strange. We'll know if they start peeling in on lap 20 as long as the first 20 laps are green.

dataman1
19th May 2008, 15:12
I checked with the Indycar.com Tech segment and the dallara carries 22 gallons. From numbers above from 06 & 07, that equals roughly 4 miles to the gallon. Doing the math of 500 miles divided by 4 miles/gal divided by 22 gal per stop it will take 4.7 stops (they start with a full tank). So the 6 made by Hornish in 2006 seems good for planning considering yellows.

Can't explain having to stop for 10 due to tires as was the original post unless the compound has changed.

EagleEye
19th May 2008, 15:37
I checked with the Indycar.com Tech segment and the dallara carries 22 gallons. From numbers above from 06 & 07, that equals roughly 4 miles to the gallon. Doing the math of 500 miles divided by 4 miles/gal divided by 22 gal per stop it will take 4.7 stops (they start with a full tank). So the 6 made by Hornish in 2006 seems good for planning considering yellows.

Can't explain having to stop for 10 due to tires as was the original post unless the compound has changed.

In full race trim, the cars will get 1.5-1.7 mpg, not 4 mpg. Under yellow, the teams can get as much as 7-8 mpg and more. With no yellows they will need about ten stops. They used to have 35 gallon fuel cells, and that was reduced a few times to the current 22 gallon fuel cell. Also, they usually can not get every drop, so they might get full use of 20.5-21 gallons.

As for tires, they can be used for multiple stints. There have not been any tire wear issues this month, at least none that I'm aware of. The speed will drop off after about ten laps of use, but as the car gets lighter, the speeds remain fairly consistant as the tire wears, as long as the track temp remains stable.

I think we'er going to be in for a very exciting race.

Scheckterfan54
19th May 2008, 15:43
Maybe due to the allotment of tires for the entire month from firestone, Briscoe is refering to the fact that they may have saved 11 sets of tires and meaning they are prepared to do as many as 10 pit stops.

Hoop-98
19th May 2008, 16:02
In full race trim, the cars will get 1.5-1.7 mpg, not 4 mpg. Under yellow, the teams can get as much as 7-8 mpg and more. With no yellows they will need about ten stops. They used to have 35 gallon fuel cells, and that was reduced a few times to the current 22 gallon fuel cell. Also, they usually can not get every drop, so they might get full use of 20.5-21 gallons.

As for tires, they can be used for multiple stints. There have not been any tire wear issues this month, at least none that I'm aware of. The speed will drop off after about ten laps of use, but as the car gets lighter, the speeds remain fairly consistant as the tire wears, as long as the track temp remains stable.

I think we'er going to be in for a very exciting race.

I would say with Ethanol you are looking at a best of about 2.65 MPG, it is better better than the methanol days.

rh

16&Gtown
20th May 2008, 02:22
If it rains the track will be more abrasive, because the rubber wont be there to fill in the grooves from the diamond grinding. They already talked about this once this month after the first time running after a few days of rain. They showed tires after less than 20 laps pretty gnarled up. I think it was pole day coverage, maybe killing time on 2nd day of quals.

usgrandprix
20th May 2008, 15:32
If it rains the track will be more abrasive, because the rubber wont be there to fill in the grooves from the diamond grinding. They already talked about this once this month after the first time running after a few days of rain. They showed tires after less than 20 laps pretty gnarled up. I think it was pole day coverage, maybe killing time on 2nd day of quals.

That must be it. I guess if there is no rain after Indy Lights practice Thursday and Carb Day Friday it shouldn't be a problem then.

Madmonk
21st May 2008, 15:26
Briscoe is taking into account a couple extra stops for repairs (IE bounce off the wall, cut a tire, spin in turn 1, drive thru penalty).

johnny shell
21st May 2008, 15:46
it could easily be done in 6 stops, even if it went green the whole race.

Marco did it in 5 two years ago