PDA

View Full Version : Arute on Newman's Absense from Indy

SoTex
18th May 2008, 21:13
Jack Arute reported that Paul Newman's absence from Indy had nothing to do with the formation of the IRL. He actually was upset that he could not feed his crew unless he used the official Indy caterer.

That has to be the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

trish
18th May 2008, 21:57
Maybe they're on a low cholesterol diet.

Canada Cornrow
18th May 2008, 22:57
Maybe they don't use Newman's Own products.

Jag_Warrior
18th May 2008, 23:07
Maybe Arute is a moron.

Mad_Hatter
18th May 2008, 23:37
Maybe Arute is a moron.

Oh snap!
:rotflmao:

NickFalzone
19th May 2008, 00:42
I love how it's Arute's job to find the "personal" stories for ESPN, and the best he's got is "Newman doesn't like the catering". Great, thanks Jack.

nigelred5
19th May 2008, 01:17
regardless, that incident did happen and had contributed to the tension between PN the team owner and PN the CART franchise holder.

millencolin
19th May 2008, 04:07
Maybe Arute is a moron.

The word 'maybe' isn't needed in that statement

dataman1
19th May 2008, 12:46
HVM brought their hospitality rig and paid the money, $20K, to get permits to allow them to cook their own food. It will actually save HVM money. Surely NHL could have done the same.

dataman1
19th May 2008, 12:47
Oh, I forgot, Jack is a moron.

nigelred5
19th May 2008, 18:37
HVM brought their hospitality rig and paid the money, $20K, to get permits to allow them to cook their own food. It will actually save HVM money. Surely NHL could have done the same.

IIRC, that incident was in like '93 or '94. I don't think it was an option.

dataman1
19th May 2008, 18:44
I agree with the time frame Nigel. This year they could fix their own food but had to pay for a permit. Most of the other teams rented a suite or hospitality room. I only counted 4 team hospitality trailers 2 weeks ago.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd May 2008, 19:17
Of course...it might have something to do with the rumour that Newman has Cancer and maybe isn't feeling well enough? Robin Miller on SPEED last Sunday talked about Newman being at the Brickyard so I wonder what planet Jack is on...but then again, I have always wondered what planet he is on....

nigelred5
23rd May 2008, 00:57
I thought I saw footage of PN there but it could have been stock footage for the story.

dataman1
23rd May 2008, 15:20
Here's a report he has been at the track this month

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080510/SPORTS16/80510040/

BobGarage
23rd May 2008, 15:34
Arutes story on the qualifying coverage did say he was at the track bbut then left over the catering argument....

heres a picture of him from this year at IMS.... (note the hat ;) )

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/900/dsc0112edited1se7.jpg

tbyars
23rd May 2008, 17:39
IIRC, that incident was in like '93 or '94. I don't think it was an option.

Nigel, you are correct all around. Frankly, I am a little shocked that there are those just hearing this story (the catering spat) for the first time. This has been common knowledge for a very long time.

!!WALDO!!
23rd May 2008, 17:50
The word 'maybe' isn't needed in that statement

Jack isn't one of my favorites but he and his family own a track in CT and it is successful. They have run Midgets, Supemodifieds, Mods, Stocks and Junk.

If you want to call a stranger a moron, fine but ask yourself what are your contribution to the sport that is long lasting?

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

millencolin
24th May 2008, 11:27
Jack isn't one of my favorites but he and his family own a track in CT and it is successful. They have run Midgets, Supemodifieds, Mods, Stocks and Junk.

If you want to call a stranger a moron, fine but ask yourself what are your contribution to the sport that is long lasting?

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

Contributing to a sport is not a comparison to a statement he made about Newmann. The two dont intertwine in anyway. Irrelevent.

Plus, everyone makes opinions about people they have not met yet have viewed through the media. Its human nature.

plus, its a joke! Dont take everything so seriously.

Wilf
24th May 2008, 12:06
Contributing to a sport is not a comparison to a statement he made about Newmann. The two dont intertwine in anyway. Irrelevent.

Plus, everyone makes opinions about people they have not met yet have viewed through the media. Its human nature.

plus, its a joke! Dont take everything so seriously.

"Maybe Arute is a moron."
and
"The word 'maybe' isn't needed in that statement."

Apparently the joke is too subtle for many of us especially since it is also apparent that some posters here did not know/understand the totality of the friction between PN and TG.