PDA

View Full Version : Bump Day

Alfa Fan
18th May 2008, 18:29
Bumping has begun for the Indy 500. Marty Roth is the first driver to bump himself into the race, replacing Buddy Lazier.

Jonesi
18th May 2008, 18:58
For that to happen, Foyt IV had to first bump Roth out of the field with a 219.184 run.

Alfa Fan
18th May 2008, 19:02
Oh yeah I forgot about Foyt's attempt sorry.

Canada Cornrow
18th May 2008, 23:02
I feel bad for Mario D and Max Papis. On the bright side it sure is nice to see some genuine emotion on Bump Day.

ChicagocrewIRL
18th May 2008, 23:07
ALL I CAN SAY IS "WOW!!!!" That was the most dramatic qualifying I have watched in a long time. So many stories and so many personalities in the quest of their lives, just to qualify for this race. Where to begin....

Bad guy Marty Roth, after his incident with the Luczo Team in Kansas, he was the guy I was hoping would not get in. Sadness....

Roger Yasukawa, a great quiet nice guy who definitely deserves to drive in this race, more so than Mad Marty. Sadness....

Buddy Lazier, 96 Indy 500 Winner, pulling out all the stops and making an incredible qualifying attempt taking every risk, every chance he could to make it in. JOY JOY JOY !!!!!!!!

Mario Dominguez, a "back from the dead" story of a multiple race winner in CART/CCWS who did phenomenal in Long Beach and brought momentum for him and his "back from the dead" PCM squad.... so much effort and so much work but.... what a brave brave final run.SADNESS.....

When you think that the 33rd place finisher is guaranteed at least $270,000 in next week's race, it was worth a cool quarter of a million dollars to these drivers and race teams to make this race. The stakes were huge and the drama played out and I'm speechless and breathless and can't wait for Sunday the 25th.

Thank you to all the drivers and teams who make the month of May and make it what it is and bump day lived up to its reputation this year.

VkmSpouge
18th May 2008, 23:31
Good last 40 minutes. Buddy Lazier put in a great lap to haul his Hemelgarn-Johnson car in. I feel sorry for Mario Dominguez, he was really flying on his final run until the crash. I also feel bad for Max Papis who never got a real shot at qualifying.

Mad_Hatter
18th May 2008, 23:38
Shame for MD and Roger Yas., but it was an entertaining bump day.

FormerFF
19th May 2008, 00:25
Also a shame about AJ IV's car spraying fuel and putting him into the wall. He'll be going into raceday with a repaired car that will have very little testing. I can see him retiring with handling problems.

nigelred5
19th May 2008, 01:19
Don't they still have Carb day to shake things out.?

Jonesi
19th May 2008, 01:50
Don't they still have Carb day to shake things out.?

"Carb Day" is only one hour of practice, not a lot of time to sort out a car that's not nearly right.

millencolin
19th May 2008, 04:24
I was disappointed that PCM and Mario didn't make the field. But they were pushing the proverbial s**t up the hill the whole month of May. But they will be back next year, hopefully much stronger and better prepared. Plus they still have the rest of the season to go.

its a real shame though Roth made the field, i have little respect for the man.

Chamoo
19th May 2008, 04:25
How many accidents did MD have this month? I love MD, but, still, he was reaching about 5 accidents by my count.

coogmaster
19th May 2008, 04:30
As far as Foyt goes, I'm sure that the team will throw Carpenter's race setup on the car so that he won't be struggling to find a good setup on carb day. However, it's up to Foyt to get that car up to speed, and we know how much he likes to push to the limit. However, I think now that he's in race trim, the high risks he's been taking and the spin outs that he's had all month long shouldn't be an issue (hopefully).

Honestly, I'm suprised that team struggled so much this month, especially when Carpenter and Hamilton easily got into the show. I guess Foyt can be overzealous in the cockpit at times, but that fueling incident today never should have happened. The team needs to give him more attention.

Hopefully they can get the car up to speed on raceday, it would be great to see him work his way up through the field from the last row.