PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild time

Champcar4life
17th May 2008, 20:28
On aveage how long does it take to rebuild a wreck Indycar and when is a Indycar to demage to be rebuild and does it have to go through some kinda spec to a make sure its fit to run.

I drunk the kool aid of speed and I can't help myself.

anthonyvop
18th May 2008, 03:40
On aveage how long does it take to rebuild a wreck Indycar and when is a Indycar to demage to be rebuild and does it have to go through some kinda spec to a make sure its fit to run.
I drunk the kool aid of speed and I can't help myself.
Way too many variables to put a specific time frame. All depends on the type of damage and, sad to say, Parts availablity.

one thing I do know. If the tub is damaged(Cracked or split) it gets a quick trip to the dumpster.

usgrandprix
18th May 2008, 03:41
I'm not sure of the details, but I do know that good teams can fix a fairly wadded up car overnight. And if they are based in Indy they probably are at an advantage with a local shop.

There are specs the car must meet for weight, ride height, and wing angle (not rear wing at Indy), but as far as the integrity of the car, that's up to the team. I don't think these professionals would compromise there.

There are a lot of spec parts anyway.

Heard on the radio today an interview with a buy who's basically a parts loan shark right now. Said he's getting premium dollar for the parts he has and some teams are desperate.

I do not know how they define an entry as it seems like you can change so many parts on a car that it is virtually a different car, but I suspect they number the engine block and chassis frame to determine an entry.

Vegasguy
18th May 2008, 07:39
I do not know how they define an entry as it seems like you can change so many parts on a car that it is virtually a different car, but I suspect they number the engine block and chassis frame to determine an entry.

Chassis number is the only thing that matters. They all get new engines for the race as part of the lease deal .

nigelred5
19th May 2008, 01:25
The tub is the control part.

usgrandprix
19th May 2008, 02:00
I think the engine has something to do with an entry too. At least after you qualify it does. Don't you go to the back of the field if you change engines? I think they started that rule to lower costs, ie no "qualifying" engines.

Anyway, it would have to be a major wreck to damage the engine beyond repair.

Vegasguy
19th May 2008, 23:47
I think the engine has something to do with an entry too. At least after you qualify it does. Don't you go to the back of the field if you change engines? I think they started that rule to lower costs, ie no "qualifying" engines.

Anyway, it would have to be a major wreck to damage the engine beyond repair.

No, I read a release on indycar dot com and can't find it now of course, that they get a new engine after last practice that will be installed prior to carb day. Carb day is really to make sure everything is working well.

And earlier when I said Chassis number is what is controlled I realize that would be the same as a tub now days, just said it wrong.

Jonesi
20th May 2008, 00:33
snip..one thing I do know. If the tub is damaged(Cracked or split) it gets a quick trip to the dumpster.

I thought they became show cars.

usgrandprix
20th May 2008, 01:15
No, I read a release on indycar dot com and can't find it now of course, that they get a new engine after last practice that will be installed prior to carb day. Carb day is really to make sure everything is working well.

And earlier when I said Chassis number is what is controlled I realize that would be the same as a tub now days, just said it wrong.

Right you are.

I found out today that the back of the line/engine change rule does does not apply to Indy.