PDA

View Full Version : Another Congrats thread - This time to Mankind

Garry Walker
16th May 2008, 09:05
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7403f989.stm

between a quarter and a third of the world's wildlife has been lost since 1970, according to data compiled by the Zoological Society of London.

Populations of land-based species fell by 25%, marine by 28% and freshwater by 29%, it says.

Humans are wiping out about 1% of all other species every year, and one of the "great extinction episodes" in the Earth's history is under way, it says.

I am proud to be living in such an age :up:

BDunnell
16th May 2008, 09:43
This is what can happen if warnings about behaviour are ignored for too long.

Azumanga Davo
16th May 2008, 10:28
That's what happens when you send the Western Force over to Rottnest Island to club a few quokkas, no?

Excuse me for a moment, but my rhinoceros kitchen floor has arrived...

Hondo
16th May 2008, 10:35
This is what can happen if warnings about behaviour are ignored for too long.

I trust this includes warnings about breeding also? Fact is, there are too many people running around loose on this planet.

BDunnell
16th May 2008, 10:47
I trust this includes warnings about breeding also? Fact is, there are too many people running around loose on this planet.

I generally agree.

millencolin
16th May 2008, 11:13
That's what happens when you send the Western Force over to Rottnest Island to club a few quokkas, no?

Excuse me for a moment, but my rhinoceros kitchen floor has arrived...

damn it you stole my line

anthonyvop
16th May 2008, 12:36
Nobody is going to question those "Facts"?

Fangio
16th May 2008, 12:45

Right, because they clearly tainted with bias against conservative radio talk shows in America. :dozey:

BDunnell
16th May 2008, 13:37

Go on then, though I do expect you to have undertaken your own studies that disprove the figures conclusively. Spent much time counting bullfrogs recently?

gadjo_dilo
16th May 2008, 13:54
Once again my country's case is different. Of course wildlife is lost when bears leave forests and come to live in blocks of flats. :laugh:
From this morning news:
http://www.protv.ro/filme/spaima-cumplita-la-brasov-cativa-localnici-s-au-trezit-cu-ursul.html?id_file=52655

BDunnell
16th May 2008, 13:58
Once again my country's case is different. Of course wildlife is lost when bears leave forests and come to live in blocks of flats. :laugh:
From this morning news:
http://www.protv.ro/filme/spaima-cumplita-la-brasov-cativa-localnici-s-au-trezit-cu-ursul.html?id_file=52655

Thanks for that!

But I don't think wildlife will necessarily be lost as a result of bears coming to live in flats. Surely they could be trained to do simple tasks around the house in return for food?

veeten
16th May 2008, 14:57
they just want to be represented in the fair housing act, that's all. ;)

"Hell no, we wont go! (... unless you give us a picnic basket.)"
;) :p :

anthonyvop
16th May 2008, 16:27
Go on then, though I do expect you to have undertaken your own studies that disprove the figures conclusively. Spent much time counting bullfrogs recently?

"Humans are wiping out about 1% of all other species every year, and one of the "great extinction episodes" in the Earth's history is under way, it says. "

Considering there are millions of species on this planet that would mean 1000's are being rendered extinct every year.
What species? Where are they? Where is the proof?

I searched for a list of the numbers of animals officially considered extinct over the past few years and most of what I found were places screaming about mass extinction yet had no numbers to back it up.

The only thing I found was "The best known groups of organisms are birds and mammals. Since the year 1600, a total of 83 mammals species (2.1%) and 113 birds (1.3%) are known to have become extinct.(http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/07-13-2x/endangered-species-conservation-article.htm) Which was followed by more "The sky is falling hysteria.
196 animals in over 400 years. While a tragedy hardly the stuff of a eco-disaster in the making.

Oh wait!
Could it be a group of Zoologists trying to scare people into giving them more money?

Azumanga Davo
16th May 2008, 17:35
they just want to be represented in the fair housing act, that's all. ;)

"Hell no, we wont go! (... unless you give us a picnic basket.)"
;) :p :

Smarter than the average voter... :)

Hondo
16th May 2008, 19:57
Thanks for that!

But I don't think wildlife will necessarily be lost as a result of bears coming to live in flats. Surely they could be trained to do simple tasks around the house in return for food?

More than likely they'd be better behaved than many people living in flats.

BDunnell
18th May 2008, 22:33
"Humans are wiping out about 1% of all other species every year, and one of the "great extinction episodes" in the Earth's history is under way, it says. "

Considering there are millions of species on this planet that would mean 1000's are being rendered extinct every year.
What species? Where are they? Where is the proof?

I searched for a list of the numbers of animals officially considered extinct over the past few years and most of what I found were places screaming about mass extinction yet had no numbers to back it up.

The only thing I found was "The best known groups of organisms are birds and mammals. Since the year 1600, a total of 83 mammals species (2.1%) and 113 birds (1.3%) are known to have become extinct.(http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/07-13-2x/endangered-species-conservation-article.htm) Which was followed by more "The sky is falling hysteria.
196 animals in over 400 years. While a tragedy hardly the stuff of a eco-disaster in the making.

Oh wait!
Could it be a group of Zoologists trying to scare people into giving them more money?

Googling doesn't necessarily constitute research. But you do make some reasonable points, and, as I said in another thread somewhere, we'd do well not to believe everything we read.