PDA

View Full Version : Which quirk does you car have?

Hazell B
15th May 2008, 19:10
We've done in-car luxury, now how about in-car annoyance?

My aged Range Rover, Linus, has developed some unpleasant little quirks that are fine by me, but badly annoy any passengers.

His computer cuts out power sometimes, then cuts it back in again.

His air susspension pops up and down when sat in traffic, like an American poser's vehicle bouncing about.

He's developed a serious drink problem :p :

All the local birds collect sultanas from my neighbour's bird table then sit eating them on Linus. He slowly going from dark green to white :mark:

Daniel
16th May 2008, 07:41
Mind throws steam out the exhaust. A peculiar thing happens to me when I drive Caroline's car. People think that crashing into me is a good idea.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th May 2008, 09:43
The Fuel Cap- only god know the right combinations of turning the key and twisting the cap to get it open.

The glovebox isn't big enough for the owners manual

4th gear hasn't got any use.

It turns girls that sit in the passenger seat into lesbians :s

Daniel
16th May 2008, 09:49
It turns girls that sit in the passenger seat into lesbians :s

Some would argue that's a good thing :p

Brown, Jon Brow
16th May 2008, 09:58
Some would argue that's a good thing :p

Maybe it would be if I had two girls in the passenger seat at the same time ;)

Daniel
16th May 2008, 10:03
Maybe it would be if I had two girls in the passenger seat at the same time ;)
It's not fun unless you can get involved. Hence why I think strippers are pointless. Boobs but you can't touch them? What's the point in that?

Anyhoo back on topic

Brown, Jon Brow
16th May 2008, 10:06
I've actually just thought of another one for my car. The pedal on the right hand side only seems increase the noise level.

cosmicpanda
16th May 2008, 10:34
My car has the amusing quirk of not actually existing :(

Daniel
16th May 2008, 11:11
I've actually just thought of another one for my car. The pedal on the right hand side only seems increase the noise level.
Well it is a 1.1 isn't it? :p

Brown, Jon Brow
16th May 2008, 11:23
Well it is a 1.1 isn't it? :p

1.1tonnes

1.2 engine

But as James May says 'The whole point of a small Fiat is that you have a tiny engine, select first, lift the clutch abruptly, mash the throttle pedal to the floor and when, and only when, the valve gear bursts through the bonnet, select second. Repeat the process until all the gears are used up.'

Donney
16th May 2008, 11:35
The indicators switch doesn't return to its position, as it should so it has to be done manually.

The radio works when it feels like and the cd reader more or less the same.

The lighter stopped working ages ago, which I don't care since I don't smoke.

It is a bit more thristy than it used to be.

and I think that's it

MrJan
16th May 2008, 13:18
It likes to drift left. Probably just tracking or camber or some such. The drivers window won't wind down but stays open just enough to whistle above 75mph (of course not a problem due to the speed limit ;) )Oh and there are two warning lights on the dash, one something to do with emissions and one to say the door is open when it ain't.

Erki
16th May 2008, 18:01
Okai, so my (now ex, maybe I'll return though, dunno, kinda miss that beast) work car - 1998 Pug Boxer...

-Side door doesn't open from the outside, rear door closes(locks) only when you give the door a big smack with your foot. (this problem got solved now)
-Windscreen wipers would only wipe when you select the shortest interval mode(this god solved now too. wipers' engine trouble, just as I suspected).
-Coolant/antifreeze leaks. 3-5 litres per month.
-Shock absorbers are done.
-Headlights' wires were strangled a few months ago, got that one done immediately.
-No horn.(fixed today)
-No handbrake(fixed last week)
-No dashboard background light.
-Speedometer lies. Gotta add 10km/h to what the needle shows.
-Fuel indicator is totally useless.
-Two indicators out of three on the dashboard are liars - I have no idea how's the temperature indicator(the third one) feeling.
-Gear stick needs a lot of time to get used to - linkages or something is on its last legs.
-VERY high clutch. At least good 5-6cm higher than brake pedal. Biting point is pretty high too.
-Nonexistent front brake pads(got replaced last week).
-Handbrake(although weak) would stick on in winter. Not an uncommon thing, of course. Dunno how common it is that the handbrake would rise back up by itself.
-Sun shield?? Or how's that thing at the top of the windscreen called... It's fixed to the roof by a brace. Otherwise it would dangle in front of my eyes.
-Driver's chair is falling apart.
-Glovebox is too small for gloves. :p And looks like someone tried to cram them into it by force - one hinge of the lid is broken.
-Special mention: teetotaler - 8.4litres per 100km. :s mokin:

Looks like that's it. :p Funny car. :p

MrJan
16th May 2008, 18:07
8.4litres per 100km

Eh? What's that mean?? ;)

Isn't that about 33mpg? I get that when I thrash the t**s off my Civic.

Azumanga Davo
16th May 2008, 18:52
My car occasionally works now and again. It has developed the idea that 3 months off, 1 month on is it's work schedule. :s

Bloody thing. :D

Erki
16th May 2008, 20:31
Eh? What's that mean?? ;)

Isn't that about 33mpg? I get that when I thrash the t**s off my Civic.

8.4 l/100km = 28.0017361 miles per gallon

Gotta love Google. :)

Daniel
16th May 2008, 20:42
8.4 l/100km = 28.0017361 miles per gallon

Gotta love Google. :)
I think it's actually more like 33 as Jan Yeo said. Gotta love google :p

Drew
16th May 2008, 21:08
Depends on your gallon ;)

My car cannot be unlocked from the driver's side. If you do, the alarm goes off. You have to unlock the car from the passenger's side and then lock it from the driver's side :p :

GridGirl
16th May 2008, 21:20
Ahhh 33mpg...those were the days before I started driving economically. I now reach dizzy heights of 38mpg. :p

The most annoying thing about my car is the fact that has a habbit of crunching when you put it into reverse gear far too often for my liking. Although since my new clutch it doesn't do it everytime like it previously used to. Its a common Fiesta thing apparently.

Hazell B
16th May 2008, 21:57
What's all this thirtysomething to the gallon talk?

Okay, I might use a touch more than average towing a 3 1/2 tonne trailer about, but I dream of getting 25 to the gallon even when I drive like a pensioner :mark:
20 is about my limit at the moment :(

Anyway, reading the above I've realsied my vehicle also shares some extra, as yet unimportant and unnoticed, quirks with yours. Oh, and I lost second gear the other day too. Syncro's done a bunk and gearboxes for this specific model are rare and costly beasts :rolleyes:

MrJan
16th May 2008, 23:13
My old man lost reverse in his car a while back. A new gear box would have set him back something like 5 grand. Luckily we use a fairly decent mechanic who took the whole thing to pieces and sorted it out.

Motorway driving I've managed to get 40mpg out of mine but normal stuff drops it down to between 30 and 35.

The VW camper we use to tow the trailer gets about 26 on a good day when you do 60mph everywhere. Mind you it is only towing a half tonne car :D

schmenke
21st May 2008, 17:21
The rear end of my POS has a noticable shimmy at low speed. Disappears at about 50kph :mark:

7.5 l/100km ;)