PDA

View Full Version : Congrats, GREAT Britain

Garry Walker
15th May 2008, 13:19
Great indeed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/thehealthnews.html?in_article_id=566473&in_page_id=1797

Britons are becoming the fattest people in Europe. English and Scottish women lead the heavyweight league, with almost six in ten overweight or obese.

Men fare little better, with at least two-thirds too heavy for their height. Fast food, lack of exercise and a growing reliance on time-saving technology are all blamed for making us the second-fattest nation in the developed world.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_04/countriesDM1405_228x354.jpg

gadjo_dilo
15th May 2008, 13:33
Finally, a negative top where my country is not in. :laugh:

Congrats to the others.

Brown, Jon Brow
15th May 2008, 13:54
I blame cholesterol. Scottish people eat it.

millencolin
15th May 2008, 14:25
I still think we are fatter...

Well, we beat Great Britian in everything... Soccer, Rugby, Rugby League, Cricket, Obesity...

dc10
15th May 2008, 15:41
I thought US had the fattest people. Did anyone see that programme on Channel 4 last night - worlds heaviest Dad - 73 stone!

Donney
15th May 2008, 16:21
I'm glad to see my country far from the podium places.

A.F.F.
15th May 2008, 16:57
I remember back when I was at Edinburg studying we compared our breakfast. This guy Steven took bacon, eggs, beans, spagetti :confused: , sausages. I took bread, cheese, juice and cerial. We looked at our breakfasts and shared a silent 10 seconds and started eating. :D

His breakfast was my lunch.

Drew
15th May 2008, 17:05

Where do the fat women hide themselves? :p :

And reading the comments, there is the most stereotypical reply:

Britain is turning into a land of fat chavy people who laze about all day on benefits, and don't have a clue where there children are. Mind you, they can still seem to afford plenty of booze and the biggest wide screen TV that loans can buy them. That about sums it up doesn't it? Winston Churchill will be turning in his grave.

Rachel, London

veeten
15th May 2008, 17:14
give it time, you'll get there soon enough... ;) :p

SOD
15th May 2008, 17:15
must be the deep fried mars bars

MrJan
15th May 2008, 17:35
It'll be a cold day in hell before I believe anything that comes from the Daily Mail. That newspaper would commit genocide if it could prove that Labour was evil.

Rollo
16th May 2008, 02:31
I blame cholesterol. Scottish people eat it.

I think it was at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival where I first came across deep fried Mars bars. Also, when you take into consideration that Scotland invented Chicken Tika Masala, this does not surprise me in the slightest.

I mean what else do you want after downing 6 pints of Tennants Super and then stepping out into a brisk (bloody freezing) Scottish night but something greasy?

Garry Walker
16th May 2008, 09:02
It'll be a cold day in hell before I believe anything that comes from the Daily Mail. That newspaper would commit genocide if it could prove that Labour was evil.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Have you had a drug-test lately? You should.

SOD
16th May 2008, 09:45

do you lack a real undestanding of what the daily mail is?

MrJan
16th May 2008, 13:11

So is the Daily Mail not a fair right newspaper? Me and most of England must have missed that memo because the last time I checked the Mail was still harping on about the glory years of Maggie.

BDunnell
16th May 2008, 13:51
So is the Daily Mail not a fair right newspaper? Me and most of England must have missed that memo because the last time I checked the Mail was still harping on about the glory years of Maggie.

I hope you mean 'far right', rather than 'fair right'!

And I agree absolutely with your viewpoint. It's the nastiest right-wing rag around. For anyone who thinks that it's to be trusted, I suggest reading the book Flat Earth News by Nick Davies. In fact, it will make you think twice about believing what you read in the vast majority of British newspapers. But if some people want to go on thinking that schools really have banned the 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' rhyme because they consider it racist (they didn't), and so on, that's their unfortunate prerogative.

MrJan
16th May 2008, 14:34

Definately what I meant :D

Brown, Jon Brow
16th May 2008, 14:36

And I agree absolutely with your viewpoint. It's the nastiest right-wing rag around. For anyone who thinks that it's to be trusted, I suggest reading the book Flat Earth News by Nick Davies. In fact, it will make you think twice about believing what you read in the vast majority of British newspapers. But if some people want to go on thinking that schools really have banned the 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' rhyme because they consider it racist (they didn't), and so on, that's their unfortunate prerogative.

The Tiger That Isn't by Michael Blastland and Andrew Dilnot is another book that shows newspapers in general (not just The Daily Mail) can't be trusted.

I wouldn't trust anything from a newspaper that has Melanie Phillips as a columnist :down: And you've got to ask yourself, who is The Daily Mails most famous reader? A certain Partridge comes to mind ;)

Garry Walker
19th May 2008, 20:43

So being right-winged makes it once full of bull****? And Lefty-media is 100% pure truth and honesty :)

You go, read your beloved guardian, and keep living in your nice lefty-world at your parents basements, where such things as reality are rare visitors :up:

MrJan
19th May 2008, 20:52
So being right-winged makes it once full of bull****? And Lefty-media is 100% pure truth and honesty :)

You go, read your beloved guardian, and keep living in your nice lefty-world at your parents basements, where such things as reality are rare visitors :up:

Lefty world? :laugh: You know me so well don't you Gary. Doesn't matter that I read The Times and pretty much am unafiliated politically, the reason why I choose not to vote.

I'm used to reality which is why I know that (unlike what the Mail reports) video games do not kill people, not all teenagers are drug addicts and carry knives and this country is in no worse state than the Tores left it in.

Media in general is untrustworthy (I should know as I studied as a Journalist) but, in my opinion, more so any newspaper that is still obsessed with the death of a princess who, despite all her charity work, liked her men (to put it nicely) and was killed 10 years ago.

veeten
19th May 2008, 21:43
now, what was this thread about?...

oh yeah, fat brits. :p :

Canada Cornrow
20th May 2008, 03:28
Lefty world? :laugh: You know me so well don't you Gary. Doesn't matter that I read The Times and pretty much am unafiliated politically, the reason why I choose not to vote.

Is voting that big of a hassle that you "choose not to"? :down:

Canada Cornrow
20th May 2008, 03:33
now, what was this thread about?...

oh yeah, fat brits. :p :

You ever been to Wisconsin? Lets just say a lot of the women around here make the rocking world go 'round, to quote a certain British rock icon. :s pinhead:

MrJan
20th May 2008, 09:46
Is voting that big of a hassle that you "choose not to"? :down:

I'm sorry but I was under the impression that democracy was about [i[choice[/i]. I choose not to vote not because it is 'too much hassle' but because I believe that be it Labour, Conservative, Lib Dem or whoever in power it really won't make that much difference because they'll keep raising taxes and making decisions I don't agree with no matter who runs the country.

At the end of the day I agree with policies from most parties but also disagree with others and unless a party that I really disagree with (like the UK Independance Party or the Green Party) starts to get lots of votes then I'll remain a non-voter.

I really don't think that I should be looked upon badly just because my choice is not to vote.

Canada Cornrow
21st May 2008, 04:53
I'm sorry but I was under the impression that democracy was about [i[choice[/i]. I choose not to vote not because it is 'too much hassle' but because I believe that be it Labour, Conservative, Lib Dem or whoever in power it really won't make that much difference because they'll keep raising taxes and making decisions I don't agree with no matter who runs the country.

At the end of the day I agree with policies from most parties but also disagree with others and unless a party that I really disagree with (like the UK Independance Party or the Green Party) starts to get lots of votes then I'll remain a non-voter.

I really don't think that I should be looked upon badly just because my choice is not to vote.

Sometimes your choices are bad or worse. If you're unwilling to vote then you shouldn't expect politicians to do anything differently from what they're doing now. I'm not looking on you badly. I just think you're trying to rationalize apathy.

MrJan
21st May 2008, 10:07
I don't expect polticians to do things differently (neither would I if I voted because they're a lying bunch of ******s). And I wouldn't call it apathy either. In the last general election in the UK I went to the polling station to meet someone but decided not to vote. Should I next time go and throw that vote away on some joker party just because I have the right to?

As far as I'm concerned each politician is interchangeable in the UK. They all talk the talk but when they get in power it's the same story of tax hikes and general disruption. I'm sorry that you think that my beliefs are just rationalisation, maybe I'm an Atheist because it's too much effort to believe in God as well.

NoahsGirl
21st May 2008, 20:01
Wow, Scotland at the top of a league and we didn't get knocked out of the first round. :D

Zico
21st May 2008, 21:04
No sign of the USA on that table? I guess they must be languishing in 16th place. ;)

tin-top fan
24th May 2008, 19:03
No sign of the USA on that table? I guess they must be languishing in 16th place. ;)

I was under the impression that it was a table of european countries instead :p