View Full Version : Chancellor's pre-budget report: transport changes

Dave B
6th December 2006, 13:52
£5 extra tax on 75% of flights to pay for environmental programmes
Inflation rise of 1.25p/L from midnight tonight on fuel duty :(
Incentives for bio-fuels for cars and trains

Kneeslider
6th December 2006, 14:05
And you are surprised?? After we all endured record crude oil prices throughout the summer with oil priced in the $70+ bracket which fed through to 95 RON unleaded being priced at just under £1 per litre, there was evidence there that the increased prices didn't mean that anyone was driving any less.

Therefore when the price of a barrel of crude dipped below $60, there was obviously some slack in the system which could be taken up by increasing fuel taxes.

Now the government will no doubt tell us all that this extra revenue is going to fund green initiatives (which ones? where? who will benefit?) but really we all know that it is just going to go into the melting pot of tax expenditure.

There is a perception in the media that we are all going to have to put up with higher fuel costs, but this is just spin to make us feel like we aren't being ripped off when the fuel duty goes up.

Mark
6th December 2006, 14:18
Good job I filled up yesterday. Petrol is expensive enough already without putting it up more :mad:

From February, air passenger duty will rise from £5 to £10 for most flights.

BDunnell
6th December 2006, 14:29
Some of the airlines may be getting up in arms about this hike in their passenger duty, but I don't believe an extra fiver will be an undue turn-off. It's hardly a massive dent in the nation's pocket.

Mark
6th December 2006, 14:30
Considering for most people flights are an occasional once or twice per year thing, then an extra £5 will make zero difference IMO.

BDunnell
6th December 2006, 14:34
Considering for most people flights are an occasional once or twice per year thing, then an extra £5 will make zero difference IMO.

And if it does, tough s**t — those people won't be able to fly. Amongst all the recent talk about possibly needing to increase air fares for environmental reasons, few people have pointed out that flying isn't an inalienable right. As with so many other things, if you don't have the cash, you won't be able to do it. I mean, I'd quite like to have an Aston Martin DB9 but as I can't afford it, I can't have one.

Daniel
7th December 2006, 13:43
And if it does, tough s**t — those people won't be able to fly. Amongst all the recent talk about possibly needing to increase air fares for environmental reasons, few people have pointed out that flying isn't an inalienable right. As with so many other things, if you don't have the cash, you won't be able to do it. I mean, I'd quite like to have an Aston Martin DB9 but as I can't afford it, I can't have one.
I agree fully :up: Perhaps it's just me but I'd rather go for slightly more expensive holidays and not be around the sort of people to whom £5 is going to make or break them. My airfare for my two week holiday last year was about £900 and if it was slightly more I would have still gone and I would have still enjoyed it immensely :)

Daniel
7th December 2006, 13:44
I agree fully :up: Perhaps it's just me being slightly snobbish but I'd rather go for slightly more expensive holidays and not be around the sort of people to whom £5 is going to make or break them. My airfare for my two week holiday last year was about £900 and if it was slightly more I would have still gone and I would have still enjoyed it immensely :)

BDunnell
7th December 2006, 14:05
I agree fully :up: Perhaps it's just me being slightly snobbish but I'd rather go for slightly more expensive holidays and not be around the sort of people to whom £5 is going to make or break them. My airfare for my two week holiday last year was about £900 and if it was slightly more I would have still gone and I would have still enjoyed it immensely :)

I agree!

This puts me in mind of the wonderful scene from I'm Alan Partridge in which Alan is in conversation with the two Irish TV executives, and says that he's never been to Ireland. One of them says, "You know, that always amazes me, when you think that it's only 49 quid on a plane", to which Partridge replies, "Yes, I think that's kind of what puts me off."

Daniel
7th December 2006, 14:26
I agree!

This puts me in mind of the wonderful scene from I'm Alan Partridge in which Alan is in conversation with the two Irish TV executives, and says that he's never been to Ireland. One of them says, "You know, that always amazes me, when you think that it's only 49 quid on a plane", to which Partridge replies, "Yes, I think that's kind of what puts me off."
:laugh: It may seem terribly "Hyancinth Bucket" but I'd be happier not to have to deal with "those" types on an aircraft and in an airport. It's always funny to see people who don't get to fly much :laugh: The grip they usually have on the armrests when a 777 powers up on the runway is quite comical. Even better in turbulence :)

CarlMetro
7th December 2006, 15:04
It's always funny to see people who don't get to fly much :laugh: The grip they usually have on the armrests when a 777 powers up on the runway is quite comical. Even better in turbulence :)

You don't have to be an infrequent flyer to be afraid/uncomfortable when flying. My wife has probably flown more air miles than you ever will, yet is still uncomfortable during takeoff and landing. But so long as you have something to laugh about, it's all good, ain't it :rolloeyes:

As a frequent business flyer and high mileage car driver I would just like to see some outline proposal from the government as to where this extra tax money is going to be spent, and what benefit is will have on the environment.

It's just another way of of hiking taxes which will produce no overall benefit.

Daniel
7th December 2006, 15:08
You don't have to be an infrequent flyer to be afraid/uncomfortable when flying. My wife has probably flown more air miles than you ever will, yet is still uncomfortable during takeoff and landing. But so long as you have something to laugh about, it's all good, ain't it :rolloeyes:

As a frequent business flyer and high mileage car driver I would just like to see some outline proposal from the government as to where this extra tax money is going to be spent, and what benefit is will have on the environment.

I didn't necessarily say all of them are but you can just tell sometimes :)

Quite often they are talking between themselves about how great it is to fly with no idea of what's about to happen and then they seem to go green :p People who have a serial dislike for flying are usually green when from the moment they sit down :erm:

Dave B
7th December 2006, 15:30
I've still got the scratch marks in my arms from sitting next to a nervous flyer 7 years ago! :eek:

Anyway, I agree that this extra tax is all well and good, but I remain to be convinced that all the money will be spent on improving public transport.

I decided against making an eight mile journey by bus a couple of weeks back when I found out it would take nearly an hour!

BDunnell
7th December 2006, 16:46
I should admit that although I work in aviation, I'm a nervous flyer too! I know it's irrational, but it's not a feeling that can be helped.

Sounds to me like you've made up your mind already, rather than waiting for that 'outline proposal'.

Daniel
7th December 2006, 16:50
I should admit that although I work in aviation, I'm a nervous flyer too! I know it's irrational, but it's not a feeling that can be helped.

Sounds to me like you've made up your mind already, rather than waiting for that 'outline proposal'.
Wel given the way governments seem to appear to spend money and tax people you could forgive Carl for being just a bit sceptical :)