PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Piquet Jr

iloveF1
15th May 2008, 11:14
hi,
i would like to know your opinion about Nelson Piquet Jr.
I remember Briarore wanted him in the team strongly, last year he did quick laps,...now he is having a bad season, most of all qualify, and rumors say he may be changed with sato if he do not gets good results in next 2 races.
Do you know anything about this?
I think that it's not fair, next 2 races are 2 difficult city circuits,....and in canada he never raced before,...

ShiftingGears
15th May 2008, 11:48
That would be an incredibly dumb rumour. Having said that, Piquet has not impressed so far.

Garry Walker
15th May 2008, 11:57
hi,
and rumors say he may be changed with sato if he do not gets good results in next 2 races.

Provide a link for that bull****.

Tazio
15th May 2008, 12:31
As a #2 he has been given fuel strategies that has to compliment Fred's
Which means unless he gets into Q 3 he's given a heavy fuel strategy
Even when he did get into Q3 he was still given a heavy fuel strategy.
So he's starting each race heavy. The car is not that great, and he has to fight it out with other midpack cars that are probably heavy.
That’s a disadvantage for someone who is used to starting from the front of the grid.
So, being heavy he is more prone too spins, and shunts. Renault has Fred,
And I really think they want to keep him. Fred has gotten that car into Q3 every race except one this season. Jr got in once, and they still gave him a heavy fuel load. He has had to play the strategy of a number two driver in a midpack car. That has a number one that should be driving a top car. Unfortunately Jr is going to have to do one of two things. Get that car into Q3
Renault will let him do Q3 with a normal load next time because they saw how it didn't work out in Spain. Or he's going to have to run with heavy fuel stay within himself, and when he comes out from his first stop he will be in a less congested field. And not risk the early race spin or shunt. He's a rookie on a midpack team, driving a car that up until recently was a horrible sled. I think Renault realizes now that this is a problem. He needs to get into q3 be given a normal fuel load and he will respond. It's tough when the team has such an obvious #1 to get the good strategy. But like I said, if he can put that thing in Q3 he most likely won’t be asked to run heavy. I think that was a bad maneuver in retrospect on behalf of Renault. It was Fred's home race and a more seasoned driver would have not tried to push a car that had grip problems. (partly caused by design), but mostly due to a one stop strategy
Flav was trying to do something different in Spain because you never give a guy a fuel load that guarantees him p10. I remember a few people on this forum saying he was going to challenge Fred like LH did at McLaren. I just think they underestimated Fred’s talent, gave Jr too much credit, or just wanted to bash Fred, As a rookie in a midpck car. He is not ready for that especially when he is running heavy fuel. Like I said the car is improving the next time he gets into Q3 they are not going to try something so silly. They will let him have a chance to qualify as far up the field as he can! That will help It's tough when your playing second fiddle to one of the best and the car just isn't that fast. He may have a tough season, but I think he will settle in pay his dues for having to drive #2 to a guy that can wring every drop of performance out of a bad car! He needs a little more time!

That’s part of his problem!

F1boat
15th May 2008, 12:32
I don't believe it, although Nelson is having a difficult season. He struggles in qualifying, he is inconsistent in the races... but I think that he is very talented and does not deserve to be fired or replaced. :(

Valve Bounce
15th May 2008, 12:39
hi,
i would like to know your opinion about Nelson Piquet Jr.
I remember Briarore wanted him in the team strongly, last year he did quick laps,...now he is having a bad season, most of all qualify, and rumors say he may be changed with sato if he do not gets good results in next 2 races.
Do you know anything about this?
I think that it's not fair, next 2 races are 2 difficult city circuits,....and in canada he never raced before,...

I cannot see Flav with a French manufacturers team wanting to bail out Honda just because they don't have a drive for their Japanese Honda driver. There would be more chance of Brendan Fevola going to Essendon next year :rolleyes:

dc10
15th May 2008, 12:41
I think Nelson Jr is finding the transition to F1 difficult to say the least and I think his confidence has taken a bashing.
I'm convinced he's got the talent and just needs a bit more time to acclimatise to Renault car and the team and regain his confidence.

iloveF1
15th May 2008, 13:02
i do not belive this too, but i aws asking just because was written on a motorsport magazine,...

jens
15th May 2008, 13:04
Sato? :p : Don't believe that at all! If anyone is going to replace Jr during this season, then it could be Renault's test driver di Grassi, but I think a more likely scenario will be that Jr will be allowed to race until the end of the season and after that a decision will be taken, where and how would his career carry on.

I think it could be hard to expect anything great from Nelson at Monaco and Montreal - two quite specific circuits. First one hard for a rookie anyway and at the second one he has never raced before. He should start performing after arriving back in Europe - since the Magny-Cours GP. After this there would be no excuses for not getting through Q1 if he fails to do that. Kovalainen started consistently performing well since US GP last year, but this year we don't have that circuit on the calendar.

CNR
15th May 2008, 13:11
http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Other-sports/2008/05/15/F1-Nielsen-on-Nelsinho/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/

Renault's sporting manager Steve Nielsen has fired a stark warning at Nelson Piquet, telling him he needs to improve fast to keep his F1 career on course.

millencolin
15th May 2008, 13:29
There would be more chance of Brendan Fevola going to Essendon next year :rolleyes:

You'll have to translate that for our European audiences

ArrowsFA1
15th May 2008, 13:33
Nothing that Briatore does when it comes to drivers surprises me.

JSH
15th May 2008, 14:00
When you're in a team with a double world champion who's putting a dog of a car further up the grid than it should be.... then you're always going to look bad.

aryan
15th May 2008, 14:38
he may be changed with sato

Sato???!!!

No way. If there was ever any sponsorship from having japanese drivers, super aguri and Williams would have found them first. And I don't see Sato getting that seat on merit either.

About Jr., unlike most people here I'm actually not convinced of this talent everyone talks about. I watched him in GP2 in 2006 and saw nothing special, and am yet to see anything in F1. Most people also say he has an attitude problem. I'm not sure if his stay in F1 is going to be a long one.

Nikki Katz
15th May 2008, 20:25
I'd be surprised if Piquet was fired any time soon; if he gets worse then perhaps for the last few races of the season, though that's unlikely too. Sato's contracted to Honda so if he did go I think that's unlikely too. It's not really clear who Renault could get in at such short notice that would be any good - I'm pretty sure Piquet's a lot better than di Grassi.

I think it's plausible he'll lose his seat to Grosjean next year though.

Valve Bounce
15th May 2008, 23:08
I cannot see Flav with a French manufacturers team wanting to bail out Honda just because they don't have a drive for their Japanese Honda driver. There would be more chance of Brendan Fevola going to Essendon next year :rolleyes:

Just for the uninitiated: http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/burinationb-fevola-facing-round-one-club-suspension-a-hrefhttpmediafairfaxcomaurid36392bvideoba/2008/03/18/1205602302468.html

But having pissed on the window of a pub and getting kicked out of the Carlton leadership group earlier this year, Brendan has given up the booze and is kicking heaps of goals for Carlton, who are about to give their born again full forward a multi year contract.

So he is as unlikely to go to Essendon, as Taku a contracted Honda driver, to Renault.

I hope this clarifies things somewhat.

Ranger
16th May 2008, 13:38
Provide a link for that bull****.

Found one!

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080516095630.shtml

Takuma Sato could find himself back on the Formula One tracks in the near future.

Just over a week after expressing his sadness at the collapse of his race employer Super Aguri, the Japanese driver is being linked with a swift return to the limelight.

Rumours were already swirling inside the Istanbul paddock last weekend that the 31-year-old might replace the veteran Rubens Barrichello, whose contract is set to expire, at the works Honda team in 2009.

The slightly less obvious speculation, meanwhile, was reported by the normally authoritative French magazine AutoHebdo, who are linking Sato's predicament with the disappointing performance of Renault rookie Nelson Piquet.

So dissatisfied is Renault with 22-year-old Piquet, AutoHebdo claims, that the French team is considering a shootout test early this summer to decide on his replacement.

Romain Grosjean, the French-Swiss rookie who is a Renault test driver this year, and Super Aguri refugee Sato, are reportedly top of the list for the shootout.
Seems rather crazy.

jens
16th May 2008, 13:47
This is quite surprising that Takuma Sato seems such a hot property (both Honda and Renault have been mentioned). :p : Still hard to imagine him at Renault until it has happened!

I think Grosjean should end this season in GP2 and clinch the title. He hasn't tested the F1 car much anyway - he'll be better prepared if he makes a debut in 2009.

Valve Bounce
16th May 2008, 13:57
They forgot Donald Duck in that AutoHebdo list.

Tazio
16th May 2008, 14:05
This is quite surprising that Takuma Sato seems such a hot property (both Honda and Renault have been mentioned). :p : Still hard to imagine him at Renault until it has happened!

No wait don't tell me. He's another nobody thats going to turn Fred into a #2.
Like the greatest nobody without a seat "The Ant" :dozey:

keysersoze
16th May 2008, 19:02
Christian Klein is available.

Tazio
16th May 2008, 20:04
Christian Klein is available.

If he can get out of his commitment to BMW!

petrolhead ben
17th May 2008, 12:28
I'm not sure about piquet yet either. His results haven't been great and he seems to have problems keeping the car on the island at times. Alonso has been managing to get points with the renault although it's not a great car it is improving. But then again, if anyone in that field can do well in a difficult car it's alonso. It will be interesting to see what happens to piquet as the year goes on.
I'm a little surprised that they would want sato as a replacement though.

cy bais
17th May 2008, 21:48
maybe ol' sakon yamamoto's (renault's token 4th or 5th test driver) been whispering to FLABio Briatore.
I still think Jr will finish the season at renault and sato drives in the Honda sponsored US oval series.

:)

jso1985
18th May 2008, 00:01
Sato would be a stupid choice.

he's no longer a driver with a future, neither showed anything great on his 5 years in F1
If someone is gonna get Piquet's seat I think it will be either Grosjean or Fisichella making a comeback to the team

Valve Bounce
18th May 2008, 00:18
They need someone who can help develop the car and support Alonso in the races. That ain't Junior.

Bruce D
18th May 2008, 14:48
I've said it before on this forum and I'll say it again - Piquet Jr was useless in A1 and now he's useless in F1, just like Scott Speed before him. Time for F1 managers to start watching that A1 series a bit more closely.

If Renault really want to replace him with talent then sign up Nico Haulkenberg from Williams testing duties. =D

Nikki Katz
18th May 2008, 15:38
I think that people are being a little hasty; this time last year people were talking about who was going to replace Kovalainen mid-season, and his teammate was only Fisichella. He ended up outscoring Fisi and got the team's only podium of the year, and is now at McLaren, dropped by Renault as they wanted someone that would accept Alonso as number 1 more easily.

All the same, he does need to improve if he wants to secure a seat anywhere next year.

keysersoze
19th May 2008, 15:03
Piquet + Monaco + the pressure he's under = DNF, and a very early one at that.

F1boat
19th May 2008, 16:52
I've said it before on this forum and I'll say it again - Piquet Jr was useless in A1 and now he's useless in F1, just like Scott Speed before him. Time for F1 managers to start watching that A1 series a bit more closely.

If Renault really want to replace him with talent then sign up Nico Haulkenberg from Williams testing duties. =D

He won the opening rounds, hasn't he? How many races has Brazil won that season without him?

edv
19th May 2008, 20:07
No wait don't tell me. He's another nobody thats going to turn Fred into a #2. :dozey:

Well....he DID pass Fred in Canada last year.....

Garry Walker
19th May 2008, 20:23
No wait don't tell me. He's another nobody thats going to turn Fred into a #2.
Like the greatest nobody without a seat "The Ant" :dozey:

the ant is a world champion in making :rotflmao:

Bruce D
20th May 2008, 12:24
He won the opening rounds, hasn't he? How many races has Brazil won that season without him?

Yeah he won the 2 very first races at brands, a track he knew well with cars that were new to everyone. And then? Er, drifted into midfield when everyone else started to get the setups right. Same thing with Scott Speed, could drive the thing but couldn't set it up properly.

F1boat
20th May 2008, 17:30
Bruce D, the Brazil car was not very fast then.

Willard67
20th May 2008, 17:39
Hmmm, very unconvinced about Piquet here. They should have retained Fisico, even if he did lose out to Heikki as he appears to thrive in a midfield car, thus extracting the maximum he can when the chips are down. In all honesty, with Fisi losing out to Kovalainen in the second part of last year, I believe that signing Piquet along with El Nando was a marketing thing and now they're paying for it with pi$$ poor results on his part.

Anyway, what's this about Jr. having somewhat of an attitude problem?

ArrowsFA1
28th May 2008, 11:09
Pat Symonds has said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67800):
"I've said it so often before how much with a driver or sportsman is about self esteem and believing in yourself. And all Nelson needs to do is turn that corner and believe in himself and it will happen again."
Sounds simple :dozey:

Valve Bounce
28th May 2008, 12:01
Pat Symonds has said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67800):
Sounds simple :dozey:

Actually, Junior believed that he would beat Fernando, and he said so before the start of the season. I posted a thread to this end.

"And all Nelson needs to do is turn that corner and believe in himself and it will happen again" At this stage, I would say that when Junior turns the corner, he is more than likely to either hit someone or run off the road. :p :

jens
28th May 2008, 13:31
Actually despite what has been going on so far this season it can be hunched that Piquet has some talent. A useless driver can't be British F3 championship and a runner-up in GP2. So the key issue is here whether he is mentally strong enough to be a F1 contender as it's not so much a question about talent. I think he may well be given time until the end of the season (last year after Canada's race there were rumours too like Kovalainen will be sent to Williams or whatever).

Senna_NZ
31st May 2008, 05:08
I was expecting Piquet Jr to be pretty good but has been a huge dissapointment so far

Valve Bounce
7th June 2008, 02:50
At the rate Junior is going, I just wonder how long Flav is going to put up with him. It would be interesting to know how much money in sponsorship he is bringing to Renault for Flav to keep running him.

gloomyDAY
7th June 2008, 15:49
At the rate Junior is going, I just wonder how long Flav is going to put up with him. It would be interesting to know how much money in sponsorship he is bringing to Renault for Flav to keep running him.Daddy probably has something to do with this scheme.

Will Jr. be retained after this season? No!
After being admonished and pressured to do better, Jr. parks it at Monaco on turn 1. :uhoh:

Let's see how he fares in Canada....

jens
8th June 2008, 22:06
Haha. It was really funny, when the team told on the radio that you are having a good race, try to stay behind Alonso... and moments later a spin. :laugh: Someone has to give entertainment. :)

mirek01
8th June 2008, 22:21
He's looks like he is not good for F1.It's a shame. I think he will not survive and must to go out. He is doing too many silly mistakes. I'm still waiting for him to make something.

F1boat
9th June 2008, 09:17
Now I too think that he is not good enough for F1.

ArrowsFA1
9th June 2008, 09:51
In Renault's post race comments Piquet said he had to retire the car due to brake problems, so to be fair to him, that may have been one of the reasons for his spin.

Still, seven races into the season and he looks no better than at the first.

marcus_s
10th June 2008, 00:04
Also bad luck?

1st race: Bad qualifing. Then He was hit and the car damaged so he couldnt finish. RET

2nd race: Start 13th - Finish 11th

3rd race: Start 14th
I made a good start and the car was working well, then I suffered a gearbox problem. I tried to continue but it became dangerous and my engineers asked me to retire so that we would avoid a penalty in the next race. RET

4th race: Start 10th - Makes a stupid misstake and goes offroad (pure driver error), and then he crashes with Bourdais. RET

5th race: Start 17th - Finish 15th

6th race: Does a descens job during most of the race, avoids big crashes and keeps the croud behind him when his tires are worn out.
Gets dry tires too early when its still slippery and crashes. RET

7th race: Problems with brakes causes him to spinn. And then he has to retire without causing damage to his car. RET

So:

In the 4th race he is driving badly, and then is party clumsy partly unlucky.
In the 1st he did a bad quali, and then he's unlucky.

In the 3rd, 6th and 7th race there has been either malfunctioning car, or bad team strategy.

In the 2nd and 5th race he gained two positions.

Is he really that bad?

Valve Bounce
10th June 2008, 00:39
Let me put it this way - the only way he can threaten Alonso is by crashing into him.

Bezza
10th June 2008, 14:36
He has until after Silverstone to prove he's good enough. I doubt he will be able to do it.

He will probably get another chance though, with Force India, STR or a new team in 2009/2010.

Christina
13th June 2008, 15:44
I'm not sure renault is the best environment for a rookie.. Has anyone compared Nels' season to the Heikki's first season? Heikki started with a shocker and has only really bloomed since he left for McLaren.

But then again, i havent been paying much attention to F1 this year. Anyone else see a similarity?

marcus_s
22nd June 2008, 14:52
Finally he finishes without problems, or making any mistakes.

Pretty good driving this time, hope he can keep it up! :)

F1boat
22nd June 2008, 15:02
Good job!

jens
22nd June 2008, 17:13
Wow. Piquet needed to shine in France and he finally managed to put in a good drive! From now on he needs to prove this wasn't a one-off. Wonder, how did Flavio's face look like, when Jr passed Alonso in the end. :p : Alonso has seemed quite erratic recently for some reason.

tinchote
23rd June 2008, 00:49
Wow. Piquet needed to shine in France and he finally managed to put in a good drive! From now on he needs to prove this wasn't a one-off. Wonder, how did Flavio's face look like, when Jr passed Alonso in the end. :p : Alonso has seemed quite erratic recently for some reason.

The question here is what happened to Alonso. Piquet started many places behind him, and finished ahead. In any case, good job by NP.

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 01:11
Alonso was racing mark Webber throughout the entire race. He started on the harder tyres and had a light load, was able to re-pass Mark on his second stint. But when he came in early for his final refuel, he had to put on the softer tyres and had a heavy fuel load. He was passed by Mark while in the pits, but started to catch Mark during the early part of the final stint. Then his lap times increased, possibly as his tyres started to grain, and Mark was able to increase the gap. If you had live timing on your computer during the race, this was very evident. Then Fernando appeared to be slightly balked by a back marker and Junior passed him.

The battle between Mark and Fernando was a tactical one - they knew from the start they were racing against each other.

keysersoze
23rd June 2008, 02:32
Good job by Nelsinho, who was helped by the self-inflicted penalties on Lewis Nico's grid penalty, as well as Alonso's struggles. In addition, for some reason Glock went backwards from running a strong 6th early on.

Ranger
23rd June 2008, 06:55
The question here is what happened to Alonso. Piquet started many places behind him, and finished ahead. In any case, good job by NP.

28 laps on soft tyres wasn't really going to work out, and he might have sustained damage from contact with Hamilton. Disappointing showing from 'Nando anyway.

Good job by Nelson. :up:

Bolton Midnight
23rd June 2008, 12:09
Must admit I was expecting so much more from NP as he'd kept Hamilton honest in GP2.

Maybe he's a bit of a funny bugger like his dad was, quick but needed to feel wanted and if all the attention is being focused on keeping Alonso he feels a bit left out.

Reminds me of my youth seeing the names Rosberg & Piquet on the grid but they both need to be up front like their dad's were, then Lauda can come and join the party. Eeeh them were the days.

Much better from NP in France, he'll know Silverstone circuit too.

gloomyDAY
19th April 2009, 11:15
*Bump*

When is he going to be out? The only thing I'm going to miss is his helmet.

aryan
19th April 2009, 11:49
Waste of seat.

If Flav wants credibility, how about putting a half-credible driver in his second seat?

jens
19th April 2009, 12:30
I never fully understood, why Piquet was given another chance. I'd imagine Flavio and Renault had enormous belief in his improvement as a driver with more experience and theoretical unveiled potential. So far - no change compared to 2008. I would be amazed to see NP in F1 in 2010.

But his 'moments of truth' are genuinely funny, I've to mention - trying to recover after spinning and later spin at the entrance of the pitlane. :)

Robinho
19th April 2009, 18:24
stick a fork in him, he's done

woody2goody
19th April 2009, 18:56

Surely overdone by now.

Someone last year in this thread mentioned Heikki's poor '07 season. Heikki scored 30 points whereas Piquet didn't get half that I don't think.

I know the conditions weren't great today, but he binned it three or four times, took the nose off twice, so that's not good.

Let's put it this way, since he joined Renault, he's struggled to get the car out of Q1, while Fernando has put it in the shootout 8 times out of ten if not more. I know Alonso has 8 years of experience in F1, but no-one should be beaten by their team-mate that often, and by that much.

I can't see him lasting the season unless he does what he did at Hockenheim again and gets on the podium somehow.

Dave B
19th April 2009, 20:07
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's never once out-qualified Alonso.

He'd be out of his depth in a puddle.

christophulus
19th April 2009, 21:51
I don't think he's ever qualified close to Alonso, never mind outqualified him.

F1.com has the results of 2008 for Piquet (http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/2008/823.html) and Alonso. Piquet's highest grid position was 7th (once) and got into the shootout 5/18 times.

Alonso (http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/2008/30.html)'s best was 2nd and got into the shootout 15/18.

Says it all.

http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/2008/823.html

jens
20th April 2009, 10:10
I don't think he's ever qualified close to Alonso, never mind outqualified him.

Piquet got close at Silverstone (6th and 7th on the grid) and probably somewhere else.

UltimateDanGTR
20th April 2009, 10:13
Nelson Piquet jnr: how many more races will he last?

Bolton Midnight
20th April 2009, 10:56
Who is their 3rd / test driver?

DexDexter
20th April 2009, 11:37
Who is their 3rd / test driver?

I think it's Grosjean? Anyway, what's he gonna do if they put him in the car without any testing? Crashes on the horizon I say...

stevie_gerrard
20th April 2009, 11:59
I couldn't stand him last season, he was so awful. Its not got any better for him this season, i'm amazed they kept him after the horrors of last season. He is Renaults Ralph Firman :p :

I am evil Homer
20th April 2009, 12:03
Surely overdone by now.

Someone last year in this thread mentioned Heikki's poor '07 season. Heikki scored 30 points whereas Piquet didn't get half that I don't think.

I know the conditions weren't great today, but he binned it three or four times, took the nose off twice, so that's not good.

Let's put it this way, since he joined Renault, he's struggled to get the car out of Q1, while Fernando has put it in the shootout 8 times out of ten if not more. I know Alonso has 8 years of experience in F1, but no-one should be beaten by their team-mate that often, and by that much.

I can't see him lasting the season unless he does what he did at Hockenheim again and gets on the podium somehow.

That's quite a harsh comparison though...I seriously doubt more than 3 or 4 drivers in F1 today would get close to/beat Alonso in that car. What's more damning is he's nowhere near him, not even close - I never expected him to be on par with Alonso but I did expect him to be further up the field.

Problem is I really can't see any drivers outside of F1 who could instantly do a better job, a few places higher up certainly but not challenging Alonso.

Bolton Midnight
20th April 2009, 12:07
How about DC?

jens
20th April 2009, 12:17
He is Renaults Ralph Firman :p :

Don't insult Firman. ;) I thought he actually did pretty fine back in 2003, outracing Fisichella a few times. Although he probably wasn't quite good enough to have a decent career in F1, but Nelson is even less so!

jens
20th April 2009, 12:18
How about DC?

After 2008 the thought of DC's comeback is horrifying to me.... :D I think I'd prefer even Sato, who is younger and seemed to improve in the last years of his F1 career.

DexDexter
20th April 2009, 12:24
I would put Lucas Di Grassi in the car, a very consistent driver in contrast to Piquet. Another possiblity would be Bruno Senna.

veeten
20th April 2009, 13:34
I would put Lucas Di Grassi in the car, a very consistent driver in contrast to Piquet. Another possiblity would be Bruno Senna.

Oh, that'll be the ultimate...

"Ross Brawn was asked about Briatore courting Bruno Senna for his new #2 driver,... 'Oh, picking around in our bin for scraps, I see...' ".

too funny. :laugh: :D

Roamy
20th April 2009, 16:09
Stick a fork in Nelson - He is DONE - probably won't be replaced with Sato but I doubt he will make it through the season unless Daddy buys it done! He is just not up to F1 - He kind of rates along with Alex Yoong

cynisca
20th April 2009, 16:49
Danica Patrick.
I think she's better than Nelson Piquet Jr because she makes not a lot of spins.
And I think that even Bernie Ecclestone will help Flavio Briatore by any way to get a woman in the Formula One.

Sleeper
20th April 2009, 16:58
The really disappointing thing is that he's shown no improvment over last year, he's still slow and crash prone, and thats unexcusable. Time for Grosjean to be moved up me thinks.

Bolton Midnight
20th April 2009, 17:04
Danica Patrick.
I think she's better than Nelson Piquet Jr because she makes not a lot of spins.
And I think that even Bernie Ecclestone will help Flavio Briatore by any way to get a woman in the Formula One.

A Yank would be even worse than Piquet, they are rubbish drivers, always have been always will be.

Best they stick to going round in circles in the dry.

One assumes everything at Renault is geared towards Alonso hence NP's lack of pace/progress. NP kept Hamilton honest in GP2 so you don't become rubbish over night.

Danica Patrick should stick to flashing her bod.

DexDexter
20th April 2009, 17:20
Danica Patrick.

This is a joke, right? It's gotta be :)

Jag_Warrior
20th April 2009, 17:32
A Yank would be even worse than Piquet, they are rubbish drivers, always have been always will be.

While I agree with you on Patrick, I find your broad generalization to be a demonstration of extreme ignorance and xenophobia.

pino
20th April 2009, 18:03

One assumes everything at Renault is geared towards Alonso hence NP's lack of pace/progress. NP kept Hamilton honest in GP2 so you don't become rubbish over night.

Calm down and do watch your language, won't ask this again !

cynisca
20th April 2009, 18:24

:D

This is a joke, right? It's gotta be :)

80/20. :p 80% a joke, 20% for real. At least that part that I want a woman in the Formula One.

veeten
20th April 2009, 20:08

The problem is that Hamilton has done quite a bit since GP2, especially in his first year, if one has looked at his record so far.

What's Nelsinho's excuse?... Same car as Alonso, but Kovaleinen did a far better job when he was Renault's #2.

keysersoze
20th April 2009, 23:23
Should we revive my thread from 2 months ago: "Over and under on Nelson lasting the season?"

I think the number was 8.

Bolton Midnight
21st April 2009, 00:24
Calm down and do watch your language, won't ask this again !

Perfectly calm here, what language? Are you a monk or something, there was no bad language in that post.

ShiftingGears
21st April 2009, 05:24
The problem is that Hamilton has done quite a bit since GP2, especially in his first year, if one has looked at his record so far.

What's Nelsinho's excuse?... Same car as Alonso, but Kovaleinen did a far better job when he was Renault's #2.

Yeah, some just aren't cut out for the premier division.

ShiftingGears
21st April 2009, 05:32

Rubbish. They have had more world champions than Spain and Germany, does this make Spanish and German drivers worse?

F1 isn't GP2 and Piquet keeps showing that he cannot cut it in F1.

pino
21st April 2009, 08:54
Perfectly calm here, what language? Are you a monk or something, there was no bad language in that post.

Yes I am a monk, so stay calm and don't start stupid fights in here or this time I will kick you out for good !

Bolton Midnight
21st April 2009, 10:10
Rubbish. They have had more world champions than Spain and Germany, does this make Spanish and German drivers worse?

Race wins??

Alonso and Schumacher won slightly more than Phil Hill who only won the crown because Von Tripps died whilst leading the championship.

Besides Mario Andretti was Italian really not American, his son Michael was American - nuff said.

ShiftingGears
21st April 2009, 10:26
Alonso and Schumacher won slightly more than Phil Hill who only won the crown because Von Tripps died whilst leading the championship.

Yes, but as tragic as it is, Hill was not the one who had the accident. Though I'm sure if it was a non-fatal accident, you'd try to discredit Hill's achievement anyway.

Besides Mario Andretti was Italian really not American, his son Michael was American - nuff said.

No, he's an American, who was born in Italy. Why does that make him any less American? Doesn't suit your point of view?

Does Juan Manuel Fangio having Italian parents make him not an Argentine?

Bolton Midnight
21st April 2009, 10:40
He was born in Italy, his parents were Italian he was raised in Italy and Croatia, he just happened to move to America - he even looks Italian.

Had Von Tripps not perished then he would have been champion, so Hill's was won by default, the following season Hill scored nil points, hardly a true great I think you'll agree.

Ranger
21st April 2009, 10:44
He was born in Italy, his parents were Italian he was raised in Italy and Croatia, he just happened to move to America - he even looks Italian.

So?

His racing career started in America, it was refined in America before he went to F1 full time.

That matters a lot more than where he was born.

ShiftingGears
21st April 2009, 11:06
he even looks Italian.

I wonder why...

Had Von Tripps not perished then he would have been champion, so Hill's was won by default

You're saying 'would have' like it is fact. It's not. Learn the difference.

TheFamousEccles
21st April 2009, 11:42
Hey, is Brendan Fevola going to move to Essendon next year? :facelick:

ShiftingGears
21st April 2009, 12:18
Hey, is Brendan Fevola going to move to Essendon next year? :facelick:

I'm not from Melbourne so I don't watch fumbleball :p :

Dave B
25th April 2009, 07:16
Bahrain could be Piquet's last chance, if you read between the lines of Briatore's statement.

http://www.itv-f1.com/Controller.aspx?PO_ID=45684
http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/briatore-gives-piquet-one-last-chance/

While he sounds supportive, it's this bit which could spell the end of his F1 career.

“You see the performance as well. Everyone is watching TV, including me and it’s what you see, ” he said. “It’s a difficult moment for him. In a moment like this you don’t need to kill anybody you need to support and to hope, hope he’ll do better. This is his first race with a normal situation [he has a double diffuser, like Alonso] and let’s see. Sunday or Monday hopefully we will have a different idea. “

To me that reads: we'll support you all we can this weekend, including parity of eqipment. But dammit son you'd better deliver otherwise Grosjean will be in your car by the Spanish GP.

F1boat
25th April 2009, 07:59
So I hope that Nelson will deliver. If he reaches Q2 for example, it will be encouraging.

ArrowsFA1
25th April 2009, 14:12
Would replacing Piquet, if that's what they decide to do, help Renault in any way? Grosjean may well be waiting in the wings but there's no guarantee he'll achieve anything more than Nelson.

veeten
25th April 2009, 14:59
Would replacing Piquet, if that's what they decide to do, help Renault in any way? Grosjean may well be waiting in the wings but there's no guarantee he'll achieve anything more than Nelson.

if he finishes out of the top 12, their thinking might change to, "it couldn't hurt..." :dozey:

jens
25th April 2009, 16:53
The problem is that with in-season testing ban replacing a driver is quite a complicated process. A new driver will sit into the car without having any time to get familiar with it and inevitably struggles in the first races.

For example I think it would be wise for Grosjean to wait until 2010 before making debut and not to ruin his reputation with a sudden debut this year. From this point of view it would be wiser to hire a proven F1 driver as a replacement for Piquet.

aryan
26th April 2009, 03:56

Correct. There is no guarantee. It's always a gamble.

But what is guaranteed, is that Piquet will absolutely do nothing, and reach nothing. Left by himself, he will finish this season with barely a dozen lucky points, to his teammate's 50/60, and the quali score between them will be 35-0.

Grosjean might not necessarily fair any better, but he couldn't possibly do any worse, could he? I mean, you can't possibly get your team negative points, can you?

Piquet has zero points. If he finishes this race still on zero, I'd argue that Renault would have benefitted from me driving that car, cause I would have had exactly the same points while costing the team much less in salaries, and I could have paid for my own air fair :D

Dave B
26th April 2009, 08:58
Fair point, but it would be difficult to achieve anything less.

I am evil Homer
26th April 2009, 11:02
Is Grosjean a Renault-backed driver? How much money does Piquet bring to the team...given that they lose ING at the end of this season.

Ranger
26th April 2009, 11:05
Is Grosjean a Renault-backed driver? How much money does Piquet bring to the team...given that they lose ING at the end of this season.

Yes and none, I'm pretty sure.

jens
26th April 2009, 18:40
Yes, Grosjean may not do worse than Piquet, but as I said, it's better for him to wait for 2010 before making debut. It's not good to throw a rookie into as difficult debut-situation as possible. Hence Davidson or Sato could be considered - experienced drivers, who have nothing to lose even if they fail to get to the grips with the car quickly.

Having said all that, Piquet didn't do too badly in today's race. :p :

Dave B
26th April 2009, 19:08
I think Piquet may have bought himself some more time, but probably not much more. His performance today was credible but he needs to be in the mix week after week.

Sonic
26th April 2009, 20:08
The guy did better today. Not amazing but he at least showed some race craft and didn't throw it at the scenery.

Bagwan
21st May 2009, 15:57
Hey , Nelson .
Jacques was in the Renault pits this morning .

Dave B
21st May 2009, 16:23
Yeah, Nelson, remember when Jacques drove for Renault? He was almost as slow as you!

Knock-on
21st May 2009, 16:33
Yeah, Nelson, remember when Jacques drove for Renault? He was almost as slow as you!

Perhaps they are thinking of replacing Alonso with JV to make NP look good.

Well, I've heard wilder conspiracy theories before :D

jens
21st May 2009, 16:55
What is with that obsession with Villeneuve recently? :laugh: He keeps getting mentioned in many threads. I'm already thinking about starting a rumour about the comeback of Ralf (actually I suppose it's a more realistic one anyway!).

Bagwan
21st May 2009, 18:22
I just have to mention that JV was in the paddock in the Renault pits , and you guys all start talking about a comeback .
I guess you might have something there , as Jock Clear thinks it would be a good idea , too .

christophulus
21st May 2009, 22:38
Piquet pretty much matched Alonso in FP2. Maybe there are some signs of improvement but he has to start delivering points asap.

woody2goody
22nd May 2009, 06:35
Even an out of practice Villeneuve would probably beat Piquet. He made his name on slick tyres and no TC so maybe it's not so stupid to think about them bringing him back after all. They obviously don't mind pairing him with Alonso as they did it in '04.

DexDexter
22nd May 2009, 11:44
Even an out of practice Villeneuve would probably beat Piquet. He made his name on slick tyres and no TC so maybe it's not so stupid to think about them bringing him back after all. They obviously don't mind pairing him with Alonso as they did it in '04.

That is a VERY bold statement, I'm reasonably sure Villeneuve wouldn't do very well. Remember Häkkinen trying a Mclaren after a couple of years of other types of racing.

Bagwan
22nd May 2009, 12:20

That is a very bold statement .
Very , very bold to use the words "probably" and "maybe" .

Nikki Katz
25th May 2009, 18:53
I don't think that Piquet's actually been that bad the last couple of races. Looking at the Q2 times, he wasn't all that far off Alonso, and nobody really expects him to beat him. Admittedly at the start of the season there was a much bigger gap, but Renault have hinted that they were putting a lot more weight behind Alonso at the time, and it seems more even now.

There does seem to be a lot of politics with Piquet though, Rosberg in particular seems not to like him, having raced against him in the first year of GP2 - something to do with the Piquet camp (Piquet Sr?) making life difficult for other drivers. He wasn't very accepting of being taken out of the race by Buemi yesterday, a move that I wouldn't really have put past Piquet anyway. Though I guess that Buemi's job isn't on the line, and Piquet's is. Anyway, perhaps F1 could do without the extra hassle of Piquet, is the point I think I was trying to get at...

Jag_Warrior
25th May 2009, 20:00
IMO,

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1062/1254338424_707cd4e8d2.jpg

By keeping him in the seat, Renault is just delaying the inevitable.

christophulus
25th May 2009, 21:41
Piquet will never be world champion material, simple as. But he's showing signs that he can be a solid number 2. It remains to be seen whether he'll show his potential before Flav gets fed up and fires him.

Then again, if Renault leave at the end of the year, Alonso can jump to Ferrari and Piquet may just fade into the background. Can't see another team taking him on.

gloomyDAY
26th May 2009, 05:23
I laughed at Piquet's comments over the entanglement with Buemi.

Something about letting young (inexperienced) drivers into F1....
Jr. probably knows a thing or two on that subject. :D

Dave B
23rd July 2009, 18:52
Piquet is now saying that even he isn't confident of completing the season with Renault.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77142

When asked if the situation was settled for the rest of the season, he said: "No, it is not 100 percent settled for the rest. That is why I am going to do my job and let my father do the rest."

Saint Devote
24th July 2009, 02:41
Actually Nelson jr has always been good friends with Flavio. And this matter to compromise the realtionship between the Piquet's and Flavio is most unfortunate.

Nelson went to his first ever grand prix as a youth with Briatore who flew him to thetrack onhis personal jet.

Recognizing reality is something difficult sometimes when the realization has to be by both father and son that the "prodigy" will never reach even the lower levels of the father.

I think Nelsihno would have been gone after Monte Carlo if not for his personal relationship with Briatore.

What is the point of a teammate if he is never there to support the number 1 driver? Absolutely nothing.

Time for Piquet to seek out IndyCars or even better, the f1 drivers retirement resort, the DTM.

Saint Devote
24th July 2009, 02:44
Piquet is now saying that even he isn't confident of completing the season with Renault.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77142

French government company Renault should let Bourdais have an opportunity for the remainder of the year - could not be worse than Piquet and he may just find the car to his liking.

I have confidence in Bourdais.

Tumbo
24th July 2009, 05:17
What is the point of a teammate if he is never there to support the number 1 driver? Absolutely nothing.

Actually shouldn't the point of a team-mate be to act in the best interests of the team be that supporting the lead driver or better yet taking the title fight themselves - Hamilton 2007 anyone?

ioan
24th July 2009, 07:16
French government company Renault should let Bourdais have an opportunity for the remainder of the year - could not be worse than Piquet and he may just find the car to his liking.

I have confidence in Bourdais.

Yeah me too, he'll be squashed by Alonso and we could all forget him forever.
Unless someone believes that after being showed the way by 2 rookies, Bourdais would stand a chance against Alonso! :D

Roamy
24th July 2009, 07:23
Well this weekend they equaled the cars so Piquet has his chance so just put the fuching pedal down and try and get your contract. Not easy kicking Alonso's ass but if he is a mere two seconds behind I reckon we will see him for another race.

truefan72
24th July 2009, 11:34
piquet continues to squander a valuable F1 seat.
FP1 today was no exception.

Garry Walker
24th July 2009, 11:37
It is a shame that guy is still in F1. He clearly just is not cutting it.

jens
24th July 2009, 15:41
Time for Piquet to seek out IndyCars or even better, the f1 drivers retirement resort, the DTM.

Considering how former F1 drivers have tended to more or less struggle in DTM, I don't view joining DTM as a good idea for Piquet really. And there are a lot of talented drivers in DTM - don't want to see any of them getting kicked out just in order to get a famous name.

gloomyDAY
24th July 2009, 17:07
I think this is the last chance that Jr. has before he's ousted.

I'm not going to read too much into FP times, but come qualifying he better be on his best game. If he gets smoked again I would expect to see a different driver in the European GP.

AJP
24th July 2009, 23:18
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=337952&FS=F1

very last chance to make a good showing..

see ya kid...

ioan
25th July 2009, 01:14
At least they will replace him with someone even more entertaining, the crashaholic Grosjean! :laugh:

Saint Devote
25th July 2009, 02:12
Piquet should have been gone at the end of 2008 - pity the boot confirmation comes right on his birthday..

Grosjean is not doing bad for a "crashaholic", GP2 Asia champion, former f3 chmapion and now in second place in the GP2 championship. What an awful driver!

I recall two other "crashaholics" - one during his f3/f2 days and the other his first few drives in f1 that went on to become world champions with Mclaren Ferrari respectively.

Give Grosjean a break before your usual rush to judgement - usually condemnation.

ioan
25th July 2009, 08:37
Piquet should have been gone at the end of 2008 - pity the boot confirmation comes right on his birthday..

Grosjean is not doing bad for a "crashaholic", GP2 Asia champion, former f3 chmapion and now in second place in the GP2 championship. What an awful driver!

I recall two other "crashaholics" - one during his f3/f2 days and the other his first few drives in f1 that went on to become world champions with Mclaren Ferrari respectively.

Give Grosjean a break before your usual rush to judgement - usually condemnation.

The guy just crashed out at the Hungaroring yesterday, again! :laugh:

Being 2nd in GP2 is exactly what Piquest got too, so I can't see why Grosjean is any better! Unless you are biased, ofcourse!

Tazio
25th July 2009, 09:36
My sig says NP Beats Hime alejandro de la Vaca by 2 positions in the finishing order!
Any takers?

jens
25th July 2009, 09:37
I have to agree that Grosjean seems totally "lost" since his Monaco crash. He is probably currently my favourite driver in feeder series, but I fear his F1 career could turn out to be no better than his compatriot Alesi's - full of crazy moments, unluck and disappointments. On his day Romain is one of the fastest guys out there, but is horribly inconsistent. Don't know, what has gone wrong with him - after winning Euro F3 and GP2 Asia he looked like a real ace already, but since then everything has been going downhill...

Tazio
25th July 2009, 10:22
I think this is the last chance that Jr. has before he's ousted.

I'm not going to read too much into FP times, but come qualifying he better be on his best game. If he gets smoked again I would expect to see a different driver in the European GP.
The Ironic thing is is that last race was the first time since they have been teamates 25 Races(or so) that NP outqualified Fred :mark:

DexDexter
25th July 2009, 11:14

I say forget about Grosjean and bring Senna name back to F1. I think Bruno deserves a chance.

Saint Devote
25th July 2009, 11:36
Yeah me too, he'll be squashed by Alonso and we could all forget him forever.
Unless someone believes that after being showed the way by 2 rookies, Bourdais would stand a chance against Alonso! :D

Alonso whacked Michael Schumacher into retirement so being "crushed" by Alonso is no big deal.

Point is for the Renault number 2 to be there as support in Alsonso's case.

Tazio
25th July 2009, 11:40
Alonso whacked Michael Schumacher into retirement .

S.D. I thought I got you squared away on this one!
Do you suffer from selective amnesia?

Sonic
25th July 2009, 12:23
Piquet Jnr "tallent" has never been enough for F1. This much has been very clear since september last year. The only thing keeping him in his seat is daddy greasing the wheels with the green. I'm stunned he's lasted this long.

christophulus
25th July 2009, 12:48
It'd make sense for Renault to remove Piquet after this race, it gives whoever comes in (Grosjean/Di Grassi) a few races to get up to speed with no real pressure. The real question is what Alonso is doing - two rookies racing for them next year is going to be disastrous.

markabilly
25th July 2009, 14:55
speed tv says big fight between pop and flavio the thong over whether that boot is possible under the contract.....although with FA on pole and Nelson not making it even close, welll......

Robinho
25th July 2009, 14:56

christophulus
25th July 2009, 15:03
Unless he wins tomorrow he's got to be out of a job, right?

jens
25th July 2009, 18:21
Decent race by Grosjean today. Shame he hasn't recently seemed capable of putting together a consistently competitive weekend.

woody2goody
25th July 2009, 19:58
To be honest I've always thought Di Grassi would be a much better bet for F1 than Grosjean, at least now. Di Grassi is much more consistent, and marginally faster IMO.

I'm a bit sick of Renault overlooking Di Grassi.

jens
25th July 2009, 20:24
I personally think that Grosjean is faster than di Grassi, but yes, DIG is more consistent. Di Grassi almost seems like an (inferior?) version of Heidfeld.

Dave B
26th July 2009, 14:57
When your team boss doesn't even stick around to see you cross the line, I think it's bye-bye time. :erm:

Garry Walker
26th July 2009, 15:01
When your team boss doesn't even stick around to see you cross the line, I think it's bye-bye time. :erm:

He should drive better then

truefan72
26th July 2009, 16:44
i think its curtains for NPjr at Renault

wonder who will replace him

but I doubt that it is the end of his F1 career.
I'm no fan of his and think he was pretty bad at renault, but I'll cut him one brake.The team philosophy at Renault, the pressure game that flav and the team like to employ on all drivers sans Alonso ( remember kovy, fisi's treatment?) was not conducive to Piquet's style or temperament. He was psychologically damaged by the treatment and would be more than happy to be in a situation where the team even pretends to care about you.

i expect to see him back sooner than Bourdais ( whom I actually like), with his connections, and potential sponsorship/financial backings

Dave B
26th July 2009, 17:07
He should drive better then
Well quite, but it was still a pretty classless action from Briatore.

jens
26th July 2009, 17:24
Grosjean finished 4th in the sprint race from 10th on the grid if we are talking about most probable Piquet' replacement. Can't wait to see that wild man in F1. :p :

But talking about Flavio - I agree, his behaviour of leaving the race early is really unacceptable regardless of how good Piquet is or what we think of him.

woody2goody
26th July 2009, 17:27
He drove well until I think he went off the track and lost positions. He was ahead of Nakajima so something must have gone wrong for him.

Flavio doesn't have any class whatsoever. Breaking the news he would be sacked on his birthday. He looked really upset yesterday during his interview with the BBC. It must have been a terrible day for him, and with Massa's injury, he looked like he was going to break down.

I don't think he's a good driver but that isn't the point. I hope they do sack him for his sake more than Flavio's. Briatore makes it extremely clear when people aren't wanted.

I think we'll see him again, but I don't know who for. Ferrari's an extremely unlikely destination.

Jag_Warrior
28th July 2009, 16:49
Here's my dream team: Nelson Piquet, Jr., Danica Patrick and Marco Andretti.

And by "dream", I mean nightmare. Can you imagine all three of these underachieving, swollen heads in the same paddock area? :rolleyes:

Bye, Nelson. :wave: I expected more, but I can't say that I'll miss ya. Sorry. :(

28th July 2009, 17:21
He drove well until I think he went off the track and lost positions. He was ahead of Nakajima so something must have gone wrong for him.

In other words, he was average until he was shyte.

Flavio doesn't have any class whatsoever. Breaking the news he would be sacked on his birthday. He looked really upset yesterday during his interview with the BBC. It must have been a terrible day for him, and with Massa's injury, he looked like he was going to break down.

I don't think he's a good driver but that isn't the point. I hope they do sack him for his sake more than Flavio's. Briatore makes it extremely clear when people aren't wanted.

Ah, bless little Junior. F1 is a tough place, and having zero points and not even a top ten finish means that he had more than his fair share of chances.

He was never going to challenge Fernando, and I doubt Renault expected him too, but his performances have been inadequate. The second Renault car is not that bad.

Saint Devote
30th July 2009, 00:31

I think we'll see him again, but I don't know who for. Ferrari's an extremely unlikely destination.

Its not the end of the world, 99% of racing drivers would never make it in f1. Nelson should be grateful that he had the opportunity to live his dream as an f1 driver and in a team such as Renault.

Rubbishing Flavio does not do him any good - but lets not forget he is quite young and most likely has been somewhat spoilt all his life.

That Piquet Jr could not be successful in f1 does not make him fundamentally a bad driver and he can easily have a future in DTM or even the IndyCar series.

If Piquet had broken down - what is he a little girl? - he would have deserved to have his arse kicked - be a man, not a goddamn mouse!

Saint Devote
30th July 2009, 00:34
Here's my dream team: Nelson Piquet, Jr., Danica Patrick and Marco Andretti.

And by "dream", I mean nightmare. Can you imagine all three of these underachieving, swollen heads in the same paddock area? :rolleyes:

Bye, Nelson. :wave: I expected more, but I can't say that I'll miss ya. Sorry. :(

Good post.

And that Ganassi is considering Patrick for a drive is just astounding. Clearly he is seeking to capitalize on her gender.

Saint Devote
30th July 2009, 00:39
One can disagree with Flavio's manner, but thats Briatore - demonstrably flamboyant - anyone seen the slippers he wears in the paddock?

And why should Flavio except nothing but the best? When you have taken Schumacher and Alonso to two world titles each why coddle drivers such as Piquet?

ozrevhead
2nd August 2009, 00:50
I think you all are being grosly unfair on NPJ. I thought people on this forum were smart enough to know ever driver need to learn the F1 craft. Everyone fallen into the trap that NPJ should be the exeption just because of gentics. This is why I'm glad Bruno Senna has to wait a year more in the lower leval but even then it wont stop unrealistic expectation just because he's a Senna.

I think its best for Nelson if he was with another team TBH - only and idiot cant see whoever was to be Alonso team mate would be treated 2nd rate in terms of in team support and would end up getting all the scraps technical and new parts wise.

NPJ was always on a hiding to nothing

truefan72
2nd August 2009, 01:44
I think you all are being grosly unfair on NPJ. I thought people on this forum were smart enough to know ever driver need to learn the F1 craft. Everyone fallen into the trap that NPJ should be the exeption just because of gentics. This is why I'm glad Bruno Senna has to wait a year more in the lower leval but even then it wont stop unrealistic expectation just because he's a Senna.

I think its best for Nelson if he was with another team TBH - only and idiot cant see whoever was to be Alonso team mate would be treated 2nd rate in terms of in team support and would end up getting all the scraps technical and new parts wise.

NPJ was always on a hiding to nothing

that being said...
1. He did pop his mouth about being better than Hamilton
2. He did try say he was better than Kovy and actively campaigned to have him removed mid season so he could take his seat. Many a time telling the media that he was more deservig of the seat and was often critical about Kovy's racing craft.
3. He did say that he was going to be something special in an F1 seat
4. I suppose the year her spent as a test driver he did not take too seriously at all because he apparently learned little in the car.
5. Despite all of briatore's madness and Renaults clear lack of support for him, he still underperformed to a degree that bordered on the banality. Every week he was good for one spin or off the track moment and in races was usually a non factor. He was terrible in the wets and inconsistent in his race pace.

NPJr had 3+ years to get used to f1 conditions and has not done so. Some drivers shine in GP2 other is F1. As I said I' am willing to see what he can do outside of the Renault situation, but odds are that he isn't F1 material.

ioan
2nd August 2009, 22:27
I thought people on this forum were smart enough ...

Welcome to the real world. :)
Trust me, it's a good thing that you realized it isn't true! ;)

christophulus
3rd August 2009, 16:30
Quite a strongly worded statement from Piquet Jr confirming that he's left the team:

http://www.npiquet.com/news.asp?NewsID=336

I believe without doubt in my talent and my performance. I didn't get this far by getting bad results. Anyone who knows my history knows that the results I am having in F1 do not match my CV and my ability. The conditions I have had to deal with during the last two years have been very strange to say the least - there are incidents that I can hardly believe occurred myself. If I now need to give explanations, I am certain it is because of the unfair situation I have been in the past two years. I always believed that having a manager was being a part of a team and having a partner. A manager is supposed to encourage you, support you, and provide you with opportunities. In my case it was the opposite. Flavio Briatore was my executioner.

gloomyDAY
3rd August 2009, 17:05
Jr. is right about his maltreatment by Flavio.

Jr. would get a slew of problems during testing and when Fernando showed up, the tests would go on without a hitch. I'm not surprised that Jr. is so angry, but I just wish he would keep his mouth shut so other teams could see him as a prospect.

We'll see how he performs if there is a next time...

Roamy
3rd August 2009, 17:10
With all thing being said about Piq I would like to see him drive a equal car in a team with no favorites. It is very hard when you are the doormat like RB was for all the years.

Many time the car design will favor one driver. Teams then tend to focus on that car as long as the number one driver is in the car. I do think Piq got the short end of the stick so it would be good to see him one more time. If his Dad buys BMW we may see and complete turnaround

greenchile505
3rd August 2009, 17:17
I like how the first two *replies* in this thread strongly deny and doubt NPJ being sacked this season, and now he has been. I would like to hear comments from those folks now please.

3rd August 2009, 17:25
I like how the first two *replies* in this thread strongly deny and doubt NPJ being sacked this season, and now he has been. I would like to hear comments from those folks now please.

Can you read? Those posts are from May 2008.

woody2goody
3rd August 2009, 17:29
Despite his lack of real speed in an F1 car, I'm very impressed with how he's conducted himself. He's also stood up to Briatore which is a very brave thing to do.

We also know how one-sided it is within the Renault team. Good drivers have not been treated very well there. No word on his replacement yet then?

ioan
3rd August 2009, 17:30

Are you for real? :rolleyes:

Garry Walker
3rd August 2009, 17:30
So, will anyone still give him a seat knowing Alonso was number 1 and Piquet was number 15623 at Renault or not?

gloomyDAY
3rd August 2009, 17:42
So, will anyone still give him a seat knowing Alonso was number 1 and Piquet was number 15623 at Renault or not?Yes, once daddy buys a whole team for his boy.

greenchile505
3rd August 2009, 18:25
Can you read? Those posts are from May 2008.

Yes, I understand the posts were from earlier in the year. I think it's hilarious that someone mentioned NPJ might get sacked, then the first two people respond with "incredibly dumb" (rumor) and "bullsh%^" (rumor), and then the rumor actually comes true.

In my opinion that's funny.

Garry Walker
3rd August 2009, 18:32
Yes, I understand the posts were from earlier in the year. I think it's hilarious that someone mentioned NPJ might get sacked, then the first two people respond with "incredibly dumb" (rumor) and "bullsh%^" (rumor), and then the rumor actually comes true.

In my opinion that's funny.

Back in the 50s someone made up this rumour that Queens mother is going to die. Some people of course at once dismissed that rumour as incredibly dumb.
And look at them now, 55 years later they sure must be feeling quite stupid.

gm99
3rd August 2009, 18:51
Just a tad of arrogance shining through from Junior's statement:

In 2008 I scored 19 points, finished once on the podium in second place, having the best debut year of a Brazilian driver in F1.

While that may well be true points-wise (I haven't checked), that's down mainly to the changed points system that wasn't in place when most other Brazilians made their F1 debut. Certainly Emmo winning a Grand Prix in his first year in F1 or Senna's three podium finishes (in comparison to Nelsinho's one last year), including a stunning drive at Monaco in 1984, would make their respective rookie seasons more impressive that Piquet Jr's.
However, compared to his old man's first couple of years in F1, Nelsinho has done truly well, so who knows, maybe there's hope for him yet...

ioan
3rd August 2009, 19:24
Yes, I understand the posts were from earlier in the year.

No, you don't understand. The posts weren't earlier in the year, those posts were earlier in the years! Like last year for example! :rolleyes:

greenchile505
3rd August 2009, 20:43
No, you don't understand. The posts weren't earlier in the year, those posts were earlier in the years! Like last year for example! :rolleyes:

Ha! You're right. That was last year, not earlier this year. The joke is on me.

Apologies, and good day.

ioan
3rd August 2009, 21:17
Ha! You're right. That was last year, not earlier this year. The joke is on me.

Apologies, and good day.

:)

Sorry for being a bit harsh.

woody2goody
3rd August 2009, 21:51
that being said...
1. He did pop his mouth about being better than Hamilton
2. He did try say he was better than Kovy and actively campaigned to have him removed mid season so he could take his seat. Many a time telling the media that he was more deservig of the seat and was often critical about Kovy's racing craft.
3. He did say that he was going to be something special in an F1 seat
4. I suppose the year her spent as a test driver he did not take too seriously at all because he apparently learned little in the car.
5. Despite all of briatore's madness and Renaults clear lack of support for him, he still underperformed to a degree that bordered on the banality. Every week he was good for one spin or off the track moment and in races was usually a non factor. He was terrible in the wets and inconsistent in his race pace.

NPJr had 3+ years to get used to f1 conditions and has not done so. Some drivers shine in GP2 other is F1. As I said I' am willing to see what he can do outside of the Renault situation, but odds are that he isn't F1 material.

1. Hamilton's World Champion with 10 wins, 23 podium finishes and 12 pole Positions (oops)

2. Kovalainen, last I checked, was a Grand Prix winner (oops)

3. Well, jury's still out. He only really showed something special once in my opinion and that was at Fuji last year. I'll be interested to see what he can do in a different team if he gets a chance.

4. Whereas others like Vettel, Kubica, and de la Rosa have shown they have learned a lot in testing by racing well given the chance.

5. Agreed. Even if his car was (and I believe him on this) 0.5 per lap slower than Fernando's, there was no real excuse for all those spins and crashes. In the wet at Monaco and Silverstone you can understand, but stuff like punting Bourdais off at Barcelona, and then complaining about Buemi's driving in Monaco are not what you'd expect of a top driver.

Finishing every race in 12th-15th would have been better than going 12th, 15th, DNF, DNF, 14th, DNF, 8th, DNF, DNF, 10th for example.

Saint Devote
4th August 2009, 00:17
Nelson Piquet is acting just like the usual kid that has gotten everything he wanted and has to fight for nothing. Nothing is his fault or responsibility. It was Briatore and so on that sabotaged his career.

Really? I thought Briatore is the Renault principal, and that he hired you? Thats not sabotage - its called one of the greatest opportunities and there are many skilled drivers that would love the same opportunity - they just to not have the contacts albeit perhaps the skill.

Further, exactly what rational reason would Briatore have to hire you and devote the considerable resources it takes to support an f1 driver, only to ensure that he will wreck your career? You are NOT, dear Nelson, the most important person in the world.

Geddit? The world does not revolve around your soft behind so suck it up, try, just TRY to act like a man and move on. You pillick!

He did do well in the junior formulas but is not f1 material.

Now he sounds like a whining rich kid - OMG, he IS!

When did formula 1 racing drivers become such cry baby whimps? Hamilton and Piquet are definitely the founders. Maybe its generational?

Compared to toughies like Webber and Button - Hamilton and Piquet are whimpish little girls!

I am evil Homer
4th August 2009, 09:01
Again with the pointless Hamilton bashing...he's in a different league to Piquet Jr.

I like his statement though...Flavio is an idiot and the sooner he's ouit of F1 the better.

Dzeidzei
4th August 2009, 09:10
When did formula 1 racing drivers become such cry baby whimps? Hamilton and Piquet are definitely the founders. Maybe its generational?

Compared to toughies like Webber and Button - Hamilton and Piquet are whimpish little girls!

I can see NPJ at the age of twelve giving his Nintendo a whipping when Mario got killed. Maybe NPSenior should have done some whipping too at that time. Big time.

Now its way too late.

In a way NPJ is in a league of his own. But that´s the GP2 league.

Goodbye.

Saint Devote
4th August 2009, 11:49
Again with the pointless Hamilton bashing...he's in a different league to Piquet Jr.

I like his statement though...Flavio is an idiot and the sooner he's ouit of F1 the better.

Hamilton is a whimp. He challenged Button that hew would beat him in a fitness competition and that he would do so in this past weekend's London Triathlon.

Button accepted the challenge last year. Soon after, Hamilton bowed out - but did he stand up like a man and make the excuse himself? No. He got daddy to make up the bs excuse.

Hamilton is an excellent driver - not ideal like Alonso or Schumacher - but he is there. He is also great to fans. But I do not respect who he is.

Saint Devote
4th August 2009, 11:51
I can see NPJ at the age of twelve giving his Nintendo a whipping when Mario got killed. Maybe NPSenior should have done some whipping too at that time. Big time.

Now its way too late.

In a way NPJ is in a league of his own. But that´s the GP2 league.

Goodbye.

And he could have been respected by the sport if he had left decently. There is no disgrace in not making it in f1.

woody2goody
4th August 2009, 12:28
Yeah, you don't like Hamilton, we get it. Do you actually have anything constructive to say about him?

Your opinion on Piquet is reasonable, he does sometimes have the air of being a little cocky and a bit whiny, but if it was as bad as he says it was at Renault, then maybe it's justified.

Really, we'll know how good Nelsinho really was by seeing how his replacement (Grosjean?) does.

woody2goody
4th August 2009, 12:30
And he could have been respected by the sport if he had left decently. There is no disgrace in not making it in f1.

No there isn't really disgrace, more disappointment really.

However I liked his parting shot at Flavio and Renault. It shows he really has guts and that he can stand up for himself. However, some say that if he had done so earlier he may have been able to push for more new parts on the car, etc.

That 'executioner' comment is one of the better F1 quotes of the past few years.

truefan72
4th August 2009, 14:55

However I liked his parting shot at Flavio and Renault. It shows he really has guts and that he can stand up for himself. However, some say that if he had done so earlier he may have been able to push for more new parts on the car, etc.

That 'executioner' comment is one of the better F1 quotes of the past few years.

maybe the FOTA and the FIA can now look into the driver manger situation and the obvious xonflicts of interest that are in place with several drivers and teams.

IMO you can't have a team principle be any driver's manager.
you can't have a team principle be a manager for another teams' driver.
I have never understood why this practice is allowed to continue. It seems to me that certain individuals cough-briatore-cough seems to latch on to younger drivers and make promises about F1 seats while at the same time controlling the fates of those drivers and taking a certain percentage of their salary at the same time for a contract they negotiate with effectively "themselves".

There is too much politics involved in F1 between teams alone to make that practice unacceptable from an ethical pov. I wonder of Briatore had NPJr's best interest at heart from a mangers pov.

4th August 2009, 18:53

He ain't no Idiot.

He's brash, tactless and it is possible to dislike him with reason, but he isn't an idiot.

gloomyDAY
4th August 2009, 18:57
He ain't no Idiot.

He's brash, tactless and it is possible to dislike him with reason, but he isn't an idiot.No, Flavio is an idiot. He has lead two world champions to back-to-back titles and in the process has become a billionaire. Flavio is the biggest idiot on the face of the planet.

Saint Devote
5th August 2009, 00:27
Yeah, you don't like Hamilton, we get it. Do you actually have anything constructive to say about him?

Your opinion on Piquet is reasonable, he does sometimes have the air of being a little cocky and a bit whiny, but if it was as bad as he says it was at Renault, then maybe it's justified.

Really, we'll know how good Nelsinho really was by seeing how his replacement (Grosjean?) does.

Constructive about Hamilton? Yes, I rate him as good as Damon Hill but he does not have the strong and honest character that Damon has and I refer you to his disgraceful involvement in Dave Ryan scapegoating.

Hamilton is good to his fans and clearly he comes from a very nice family.

If Grosjean is no better than Piquet then he too will be "Flavioed".

Briatore is very good at what he does. Under his management, Renault have produced two double world champions and the two drivers that represent the best in the world - Alonso and Schumi.

Saint Devote
5th August 2009, 00:37
Who F*****g cares? :confused:
How on earth can that be a serious arguement for someone beleiving him to be a not so great driver? Its a weak criticism of the highest order IMO..
At the time he was in contention for a WDC in his first season and rarely gave TV interviews let alone get distracted by a publicity stunt. So Anthony Hamilton is a bad manager for stopping his inexperienced, rookie son take part in something that would affect his mindset in a great debut season? Give over pleeeease.. :rotflmao:

Whimps don't drive 200mph F1 cars mate.... ;)

Hamilton makes mistakes where drivers supposedly so great would not. In Monte Carlo this year, Hamilton messed up badly on the run down from Casino and crashed.

A great driver would have understood what his car could do and not have made such an avoidable error. Hamilton is prone to that.

He is an exellent driver but cannot be included with either Alonso or Schumi.

You think that driving a car at 200mph excludes one from being a whimp? It does not. Hamilton's character - decides the issue.

Character is not demonstrated by driving a car. It is always shown under fire during battle conditions. Now you may not judge it that way, but I do.

Hamilton whimped out of his challenge to Jenson and got his daddy to do it.
Hamilton whimped out of telling the truth and lied and was one of those that scapegoated Fave Ryan.

Nothing more need be said.

Saint Devote
5th August 2009, 00:52

It shows that he never learnt to not burn bridges or react emotionalistically. If anything destroyed his career it is Piquet's "mouth".

woody2goody
5th August 2009, 02:11
It shows that he never learnt to not burn bridges or react emotionalistically. If anything destroyed his career it is Piquet's "mouth".

Maybe so, but to be honest I'll believe Nelson over Flavio any day.

On Hamilton again, the Dave Ryan thing was bad to be honest. He was made the scapegoat for mistakes, but let's not get into that otherwise everyone will be going on about it again :D

I think he's better than Damon, but I agree with you that Damon's character was and still is second to none in terms of integrity. Seems like a very nice bloke to me.

keysersoze
5th August 2009, 17:40
Back in March, I seem to recall a poster here who started a "Over / Under on Piquet Being Ousted" thread, and the number was 8.

Oh yeah, that was me! :D

ioan
5th August 2009, 17:59
Back in March, I seem to recall a poster here who started a "Over / Under on Piquet Being Ousted" thread, and the number was 8.

Oh yeah, that was me! :D

:?:

jens
7th August 2009, 17:19
That "best ever Brazilian rookie" comment is truly priceless. :laugh:

gloomyDAY
5th October 2009, 22:16
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79295

HAHA!

From running in F1 to slinging around NASCAR "who gives a damn?" Truck Series.

Saint Devote
5th October 2009, 23:46

HAHA!

:D I agree it is extremely funny!

But it is really uneccessary - Nelsinho could join the Indy Car series and I think he would be very good.

pino
6th October 2009, 05:50

HAHA!

Why bringing this up when we already have a thread about it ? :confused: