PDA

View Full Version : Testing Paul Ricard

Tazio
14th May 2008, 11:49
The first days of testing, a short configuration of the track, simulating Monaco, will be used. On Friday, they would switch to a longer lay-out to prepare for the Canadian GP at the Gilles Villeneuve Circuit.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/9100

Stint times, as well as low fuel runs will give us an idea about The Ferrari Solution.

These test times when analyzed closely may be very meaningful!

BMW and Mclaren will be testing along side The Reds.

There should be some ambiguous results, and sand bagging.

But all of them have to show their hand to some degree.

Monaco is so different than any other course!

Tazio
14th May 2008, 12:42
Everyone is getting into the act!

The Williams team have joined rivals Red Bull and Renault in trying a form of "shark-fin" engine cover during testing on Wednesday.

German Nico Rosberg tested the revised engine cover for the first time this morning at the Paul Ricard circuit, where all ten teams are testing this week.

The new cover, first introduced by Red Bull and then by Renault, is designed to improve airflow to the rear wing.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67412

Tazio
14th May 2008, 13:30
Who stands to gain the most out of these tests?
I know who is going to win at Monaco! :beer:
http://www.feedmef1.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=10091
With a three-day test ahead of the vastly different Monaco and Montreal Grands Prix, the Paul Ricard test track is uniquely able to provide layouts to match both circuits.

As Ricard is a dedicated test track, its layout can be revised for both a slower, twistier version and a faster, straighter format to provide the contrasting demands of the next races.

On the opening day of the test the teams are using the tighter Monaco track configuration. Therefore, teams are running their high downforce set-ups in preparation for the next race.

dc10
14th May 2008, 15:44
Are they going to install a load of walls and a concrete tunnel on the track?
If not, I cant see that testing at this circuit or any other is going to prove anything concerning Monaco :rolleyes:

Viktory
14th May 2008, 15:48
If not, I cant see that testing at this circuit or any other is going to prove anything concerning Monaco :rolleyes:

As long as they keep in between the white lines, the characteristics of Monaco can be copied.

ArrowsFA1
14th May 2008, 16:19
Paul Ricard (http://www.circuitpaulricard.com) apparently has 180 different track configurations so I should think there's one there somewhere that's useful for Monaco.

Tazio
14th May 2008, 16:39
If not, I cant see that testing at this circuit or any other is going to prove anything concerning Monaco :rolleyes: Let's just say that in testing the consequences will be different Than at the actual course! As Viktory posted, crossing the lines at PR will mean you got it wrong! During the race it will mean game over. What there really testing for is optimum downforce, with enough torque, proper gearing, and engine mapping They are looking for the best setup compromise.

Tazio
14th May 2008, 18:04
Times

Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:05.600 84
2 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:06.098 103
3 Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 1:06.177 124
4 Mark Webber Red Bull 1:06.348 93
5 Sebastian Vettel Toro Rosso 1:06.372 91
6 Nico Rosberg Williams 1:06.571 154
7 Alexander Wurz Honda 1:06.681 131
8 Timo Glock Toyota 1:06.936 93
9 Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India 1:07.346 106
10 Lucas di Grassi Renault 1:07.430 146

Alot of experimatation going on! New aeo bits and what not
That new TR looks prety dog blasted good!

F1boat
14th May 2008, 20:21
Is this a Monaco configuration? If so, expected advantage to McLaren.

aryan
15th May 2008, 09:33
Yes, today was Monaco configuration as well. Friday is Montreal configuration.

But, McLaren can't be 0.5 quicker than Ferrari. I'm sure they are trying different things.

F1boat
15th May 2008, 12:19
In Monaco they can. Last year McLaren crushed Ferrari in the Principality and even in 2004 the Renault beated the Ferrari. This track is very weird.

Garry Walker
15th May 2008, 12:26
In Monaco they can. Last year McLaren crushed Ferrari

This year they won`t.

F1boat
15th May 2008, 12:28
Garry, I really, REALLY hope so. I want Ferrari to win.

Tazio
15th May 2008, 12:52
This year they won`t.
Damn Straight! FM is on a roll I expect him to stay hot!
The F2008 is a very different car than last year's You never know at Monaco
But Ferrari will be looking good there!

F1boat
15th May 2008, 18:04
Kimi fastest today.

mstillhere
15th May 2008, 22:41
Damn Straight! FM is on a roll I expect him to stay hot!
The F2008 is a very different car than last year's You never know at Monaco
But Ferrari will be looking good there!

I think Kimi would have a better shot at it. Massa seems to afraid of those walls.

Tazio
16th May 2008, 04:56
I think Kimi would have a better shot at it. Massa seems to afraid of those walls.I'm sure a lot of other people do as well, including Kimi!

Guys don't get a ride in F1 if Monaco scares them in any way!

Although I don't agree with your reasoning, this bodes well for Kimi!
http://www.manipef1.com/news/2008/index.php?id=1144&redirect=1
"Ferrari's Kimi Räikkönen took over at the top of the timesheets in southern France this morning,
as he got back behind the wheel of the F2008 on the second day of testing this week.
The Finn went over 1.5 seconds faster than Kubica in second, a huge margin on the short 3.5 km circuit,
as teams continued with their preparation for the forthcoming Monaco Grand Prix"

Being an ex Baseball player I'm a believer in streaks. FM is on a hot streak
I don't see it ending this race.
There are a lot of factors to consider, when contemplating Monaco anything can happen.
I just look for a good race out of Massa. And he's "Hot to Fu(K"!
Did you see the look on his face when he took his helmet off in Turkey?
Quali will be more important in this race than anyone before or after.
The McLarens will be very strong. BMW will disappoint!

Fred may have a good finish. But don't count on it. A second race Renault engine? Not a good wager!JMHO

elinagr
18th May 2008, 18:16
suepr aguri will win this race

jens
18th May 2008, 23:41
Williams has probably updated their car more than anyone else, so I'm eager to see whether they have become more competitive in the future races. Toyota has now a hole in the rear wing, although some sources are guessing that it might be illegal. The funniest part was of course Honda's improvement of dumbo wings. :p : What is interesting that cars like Ferrari, McLaren and Toyota seem to have less winglets than others, but especially the first two (and at the start of the season Yota too!) don't seem to be hindered by this fact.

ArrowsFA1
19th May 2008, 08:08
Being an ex Baseball player I'm a believer in streaks. FM is on a hot streak
I don't see it ending this race.
While confidence is a big factor in any sport, Monaco is a very different place to Turkey. One has unforgiving armco barrier ready to penalise the slightest mistake; the other has wide open fast corners. If Felipe wants to challenge for the WDC he has to show he can perform everywhere.

ioan
19th May 2008, 08:18
While confidence is a big factor in any sport, Monaco is a very different place to Turkey. One has unforgiving armco barrier ready to penalise the slightest mistake; the other has wide open fast corners.

You're right, one of the Ferrari drivers binned it last year in Monaco qualy.
Oups it was the other Ferrari driver! :p :

ArrowsFA1
19th May 2008, 09:05
You're right, one of the Ferrari drivers binned it last year in Monaco qualy.
Oups it was the other Ferrari driver! :p :
Exactly the kind of costly mistake that can happen in Monaco, but that doesn't alter the point I was making. Felipe's proved himself in Turkey, but has not yet proved he is capable of putting together a WDC winning season, or winning in Monaco. Kimi has done both.

Azumanga Davo
19th May 2008, 13:51
Guys don't get a ride in F1 if Monaco scares them in any way!

I volunteer you to tell that to David Coulthard.