PDA

View Full Version : anyone got any capri type halfshafts for a pick up truck?

blakep82
13th May 2008, 16:56
Hello
had a lot of sucess with locating some old parts for the trucks on this forum before, so thought i'd give another shot :)

if you don't know, i bought an old right hand drive chassis to rebuild as a road car (its something different :D ) and i've been looking for as many old unusable parts as i can find. so far, amongst other things i've got some kevlar bodywork, suspension, and some alloy rear hubs through this forum :) i'm looking at 'recycling' if you like...

i wondered if anyone had some old capri type 16 spline (at the diff) halfshafts in their workshops gathering dust after maybe converting to the more usual 18 spline GP4 shafts?

please conatct me if you can help, either via a private message on here, or email me blakeperkins82@hotmail.com

i just gave sonny a call, he thinks he may have one on its own

thanks again and i hope someone can help :D

cheers
Blake

Abo
15th May 2008, 11:32
I've popped a message on a board where a couple of Ford/Capri guys frequent, you never know!

blakep82
15th May 2008, 11:37
Cheers Abo :)
remember though they're the ones to fit the alloy hubs on the back of the pickup. I'm not sure if any for the capri ones would be the same would they?

was speaking to Sonny the other day, he said that when the trucks are built, they come standard with the half shafts to fit a standard capri diff

pickup
15th May 2008, 20:17
Hello
i wondered if anyone had some old capri type 16 spline (at the diff) halfshafts in their workshops gathering dust after maybe converting to the more usual 18 spline GP4 shafts?
cheers
Blake

If you are using the old truck aluminium hubs then capri half shafts won't be any good unless you convert it to run a standard capri back axle.
The shafts that you need if you want to use the old ally hubs are the Quaife ones (spline both ends) and i dont think to many people will be parting with those as we still use them now, be careful though there are also two different diameter shafts that are used.

Abo
15th May 2008, 21:43
Hey Blake, you got any more pictures of your progress?

blakep82
15th May 2008, 22:04
not too many more photos at the moment. haven't had a lot of money to spend on it lately (loads of nonsense with work....) and saving what i've got for my engine which is away being rebuilt but here's the link to what i've got
http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PageNbr=1&MemberId=4198536397&PhotoAlbumId=7348443979&PhotoId=7535583608

Abo
15th May 2008, 22:13
Cool! What engine's going in, by the way?

blakep82
15th May 2008, 22:27
it was going to be an 3ltr V6 i had laying about, but it just wouldn't fit at all... :( far too big, so i went for the 2ltr vauxhall. sadly couldn't get an XE (to hard to find in my price range) soooo i went ecotec. same engine mounts as the XE, same bellhousing for a ford gearbox (i'm using a type 9 5 speed box) well, the ecotec uses the same block as the XE basically, so fitting's not a problem.

yeah, power's down in standard form, and tuning options are not as wide, but with a bit of head work, and on throttle bodies, i'm told 200bhp isn't too hard to acheive

blakep82
20th May 2008, 15:26
bump ;)

blakep82
9th September 2008, 21:43
bump :(

anyone got any? :(

A race fan
11th September 2008, 19:21
If you are using the old truck aluminium hubs then capri half shafts won't be any good unless you convert it to run a standard capri back axle.
The shafts that you need if you want to use the old ally hubs are the Quaife ones (spline both ends) and i dont think to many people will be parting with those as we still use them now, be careful though there are also two different diameter shafts that are used.

I might know some one who has one of the small dia type i will give him a ring for you and see if he still has it then you only need 1.

blakep82
11th September 2008, 20:57
fantastic! :D that would be very much appreciated!
i assume they're both identical on each side? is that right?

A race fan
12th September 2008, 18:45
fantastic! :D that would be very much appreciated!
i assume they're both identical on each side? is that right?

yes they are both the same but im sorry but the lad said that he has promised it to 24 richard novell but if he doesnt get it he will let me know then i will post you on here, sorry i tried

blakep82
12th September 2008, 18:46
ah thats alright. don't worry about it. racers need them more than i do :D thanks for trying for me though :)

blakep82
2nd October 2008, 22:24
anyone? http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/icons/cry.gif

kjb
12th October 2008, 21:20
hey blake is this what your looking for ebay number140273353495, 21 hours left mate so be quick!

blakep82
14th October 2008, 19:06
Hi Mate, only just saw you'd replied. thanks for the heads up, but its not actually those type i'm after.

i'm actually after a pair of the half shafts used for racing, but with 16 splines at the diff end for a standard capri diff. I've got a old set of alloy full floating hubs from a few years back, and i've retubed my axle to pickup truck racing spec, so its not standard capri shafts i'm after

blakep82
2nd November 2008, 12:08
Any winter rebuilds going on? :(

racing59
2nd November 2008, 12:28
Hang on a minute here, wouldn't you be as well off converting to the ZF diff, which will then allow you to use the proper 18 spline shafts, and your problem goes away.

You can get 18 spline side gears to convert a standard diff if you don't want to go the whole hog and buy a complete diff.

These people may be able to help you on all counts...

http://www.fostek.co.uk/index.html

Rob.

kjb
3rd November 2008, 18:35
well blakep82 robs got a 3 season rebuild going on ;-)

blakep82
3rd November 2008, 19:43
Thanks Guys!
Rob, you're right! i would quite happily switch to 18 spline side gears, i'd forgotton about that in my quest for 16 spline shafts, I'd got so hung up on looking for 16 spline shafts i forgot about the other (probably easier :) ) options!

maybe the best way to put it is, 16 spline shafts would be preferred just now as an easy fit. my problem at the minute is i want this car to be road registered, which i really need to do before march now. at the minute, the half shafts are the last part i need to complete the axle. later i do want a LSD, however, money is the problem there.

Sonny had told me there are a few trucks on 16 spline shafts. i don't know how many though, and last year he did have some 16 spline shafts, but sold them

kjb, I gather you don't mean Racing59 Rob? :D Rob Butterfield? have you got any contact details for him at all? :)

thanks again guys. will keep the 18 spline route in mind.

so at the minute, 16 or 18 spline shafts are welcome :)

racing59
3rd November 2008, 20:10
well blakep82 robs got a 3 season rebuild going on ;-)

Ooooooo! Saucer of milk for Table 2......

Considering what time I've had to spend on it, I've got most of it done. I don't have a team of 20 volunteers that work day and night on it for me!!

Now then... shafts...

No, me no Butterfield, me Compton - Team Air Ambulance 59 Pontiac Grand-Prix

I reckon your easiest answer is to get some 18 spline side gears and rebuild your existing diff. Then you can use the more abundant Gp.4 shafts.

Rob.

blakep82
7th November 2008, 00:34
not been able to get on here for a few days...

i think you've got the right idea Rob! cheers :)

can i edit the title of this thread to make it more accurate?

soooo, anyone know who's doing a rebuild this winter? or who has a pair of used shafts going? :)