PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft sign deal with Ferrari

Giuseppe F1
22nd January 2007, 16:06
F1/FIA was supposed to be showing complete fairness and transparency with the new Microsoft generic ECU, and whilst I am sure they will, seems odd therefore that the ECU deal later transpired to be a collaboration with 'McLaren Electronic Systems' based out of Woking,and that now, Microsoft have signed a development deal with Ferrari:

============================

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070122135129.shtml

Ferrari ink Microsoft contract
Ferrari : the best place to work in Italy
22/01/07 13:31

Ferrari's formula one team has penned an agreement with the world famous American software and computer company Microsoft.

According to a report in the Italian daily 'La Gazzetta dello Sport', the deal is for the development of technology to better manage the transfer of data between the grand prix circuits and Ferrari's Maranello HQ.

The news follows the announcement last year that, in collaboration with the Woking based 'McLaren Electronic Systems', Microsoft will supply standard electronics to the entire formula one field between 2008-2010.

The world's richest man, Bill Gates, founded Washington-based Microsoft in 1976.

Ferrari's formula one factory has been named the best place to work in Italy !

A poll of 500 employees at various leading companies said Maranello based Ferrari 'stimulate worker creativity' and 'emphasise the importance of its staff' better than any other firm.

Among those ranked behind Ferrari in the 'Great Place To Work 2006' survey were Coca Cola and American Express.

"This acknowledgement is a reminder to do and improve even more, as the school of formula one shows us," said Ferrari CEO Jean Todt.

Source GMM

ioan
22nd January 2007, 17:10
As the article says:

"the deal is for the development of technology to better manage the transfer of data between the grand prix circuits and Ferrari's Maranello HQ."

It isn't about the ECU but data transfer, so I don't see why you place it in the same situation with McLaren producing the ECUs!?

Mark
22nd January 2007, 17:13
But isn't there a problem here. How can Microsoft possibly manage to produce ECU's without working closely with one or more F1 teams? I agree it looks like a conflict of interest, but isn't it impossible to achieve without it?

tinchote
23rd January 2007, 05:13
But isn't there a problem here. How can Microsoft possibly manage to produce ECU's without working closely with one or more F1 teams? I agree it looks like a conflict of interest, but isn't it impossible to achieve without it?

It surely is. But in the meantime people can complain here at the forums ;) :D

Hawkmoon
23rd January 2007, 06:16

Is it any different from Brembo supplying brakes to multiple teams or Bridgestone being the sole tyre supplier?

The Microsoft/MES partnership will supply a standard system for all teams to use. Yes, it will be developed in consultation with the top teams but that's how the tyre deals have worked for years. The smaller teams don't have the time or budget to do lots of tyre testing so the big, affluent teams do the testing and the little teams get the result.

It's the same thing with the ECU. Every team will get the same ECU. OK, Ferrari, McLaren et al will have a better knowledge of the thing but that's because they will have put in the resources to test it. Resouces that the Torro Rossos of the grid can't afford so there is really no alternative.

Roamy
23rd January 2007, 06:55
It is a real shame because I was really hoping Kimi would do well. Now he will be rebooting all around the track. A crap system is just what Ferrari needs.

BenRoethig
23rd January 2007, 08:05
Hopefully for Ferrari, they're just taking Micro$soft's money and it will have absolutely nothing to do with the computers in the car.

ioan
23rd January 2007, 09:53
How many people actually read the article posted above?

It says:
"According to a report in the Italian daily 'La Gazzetta dello Sport', the deal is for the development of technology to better manage the transfer of data between the grand prix circuits and Ferrari's Maranello HQ."

So it has nothing to do with the ECU, unless their only computer is the one in that F1 car.

The ECU will be developed by McLaren in colaboration with Microsoft, not by Ferrari.

ottostreet
23rd January 2007, 10:44
The ECU will be developed by McLaren in colaboration with Microsoft, not by Ferrari.

thats even worse!

I am evil Homer
23rd January 2007, 12:58
I have a bit of an inside line on from the Microsoft side through my work. The ECU is standard, and they asked McLaren to test to check it worked - ie sent the right data at the right time to the garage.

I wrote a piece regarding how McLaren used it because they already us Microsoft server tech at Woking. The ECU itself is designed to send exactly the same data to each team - how they analyse it and with what tools is entirely up to them. It's built and then delivered to the teams - if they tamper with it I believe there will be serious consequences, ie, race bans and stripped points.

The Ferrari deal is different - it's using standard MS server and data technology for data transfer.

I did wonder if the ECU deal woudl lead to subtle Microsoft logos on the cars but I haven't seen any.