PDA

View Full Version : Allison loses drive

Alfa Fan
12th May 2008, 19:45
Crash.net has just reported Matt Allison has withdrawn from this years BTCC due to a budget shortfall.

AndySpeed
12th May 2008, 19:52
That's a huge loss if it's true. Would it mean that Robertshaw scaled down to running just the one Chevrolet for Vaulkhard?

Les
12th May 2008, 20:05
bummer but I doubt he will be the only one to fall by the wayside this year.

Alfa Fan
12th May 2008, 20:10
That's a huge loss if it's true. Would it mean that Robertshaw scaled down to running just the one Chevrolet for Vaulkhard?

They still have Taylor's Integra to run too. It is true ==> http://www.crash.net/motorsport/btcc/news/163273-0/allison_sidelined.html

AndySpeed
12th May 2008, 20:46
They still have Taylor's Integra to run too. It is true ==> http://www.crash.net/motorsport/btcc/news/163273-0/allison_sidelined.html

I know, that's why I said one Chevvy.

Losing a talent like Allison is disappointing especially after he had such a good debut season.

VkmSpouge
12th May 2008, 21:02
That's a great shame to lose Allison.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th May 2008, 21:03
well can they not get someone else in the car with the funds?

Les
12th May 2008, 21:26
you try and find someone with funds who hasn't already got a drive

dwboogityfan
12th May 2008, 22:10
Shame for Matt as he had been doing a good job. As for his replacement I wonder if Pinkney will be making a return as he has plenty of funds...

SEATFreak
14th May 2008, 08:22
Past experience of wanting something explained and the reaction to the idea of explaining something has left me almost scared witless to ask this, but would someone just this once please show patience to explain to someone who has a difficulty grasping simple business what exactly a "shortfall" is and how it affected Mr Allisons budget?

Also to an extend how he has a "shortfall" in his budget yet it seems was able to get a drive with BTC Racing as a stand-in for Stuart Oliver?

ready2rock
14th May 2008, 08:47
Also to an extend how he has a "shortfall" in his budget yet it seems was able to get a drive with BTC Racing as a stand-in for Stuart Oliver?

He has? I thought that was Howell?

SEATFreak
14th May 2008, 09:16
Yes it was.

Dave B
14th May 2008, 09:37
Past experience of wanting something explained and the reaction to the idea of explaining something has left me almost scared witless to ask this, but would someone just this once please show patience to explain to someone who has a difficulty grasping simple business what exactly a "shortfall" is and how it affected Mr Allisons budget?

Quite simple: say I need £100K to go racing but only have £70K, that's a £30K shortfall. :)

SEATFreak
14th May 2008, 10:45
Quite simple: say I need £100K to go racing but only have £70K, that's a £30K shortfall. :)

Since it really as simple as that, assuming he (Allison) knew how much he needed to go racing with Robtertshaw, and assuming he knew how much he was short of.....why did he go ahead and race for Robertshaw anyway if he didn't quite have the money to secure his seat at Robertshaw; certainly for a complete season?

Say I needed another £40 to buy a really nice trendy shirt in Burtons, knowing I was short by £40 could I still get the shirt I wanted? Bear in mind that unlike say jeans, shirts don't tend to look a lot alike. Every shirt in the store is unique in it's colour and style. It is unlikely I would be able to find an identical shirt within my budget.

MBailey06
14th May 2008, 11:14
Since it really as simple as that, assuming he (Allison) knew how much he needed to go racing with Robtertshaw, and assuming he knew how much he was short of.....why did he go ahead and race for Robertshaw anyway if he didn't quite have the money to secure his seat at Robertshaw; certainly for a complete season?

Say I needed another £40 to buy a really nice trendy shirt in Burtons, knowing I was short by £40 could I still get the shirt I wanted? Bear in mind that unlike say jeans, shirts don't tend to look a lot alike. Every shirt in the store is unique in it's colour and style. It is unlikely I would be able to find an identical shirt within my budget.

Because he had a sponsor that pulled that would have provided money for the whole season, I think (correct me if I'm wrong).

Tracsmart
14th May 2008, 11:39

Simple, prior to the start of the season you get agreement from your sponsors for an agreed sum of money. This is not generally paid up front. The norm is to invoice them as the season progresses. The problem is that you are relieved to get a committment and the weakness is you don't sign an official contract. If as and when the sponsor changes their mind, you become exposed to running out of funds. The team natually have to cover their costs and in turn look to someone else who has the funds. Been there got the Tee shirt.

martinbalmer
14th May 2008, 11:44

I'm not really sure how a shirt is a good example.

Firstly and foremost, it is actually quite common for drivers (even teams) to start the season without all the money they will need to complete it.

Sponsors don't always pay the full amount of money in one go. It might be split into 2 or more payments over the season.

If the sponsor misses one or more of those payments, for whatever reason, then the team or driver are going to be short of funds.

In Allison's case, his sponsor had planned to pay further money but has since decided not too (or that they can't).

Secondly. Actually being out on track racing can help to convince other sponsors to put money into the project. I mean, as a simple example, which seems a safer bet to put your money in? Something that has got off the ground with other sponsors or something that hasn't?

Thirdly. The actual cost of a season is not fixed. Repair bills can use up funds faster than anticipated.

SEATFreak
14th May 2008, 13:05
You all explained it very well. Cheers.

So when you go racing with Team X Racing because sponsors don't pay the money they have to upfront as a lump sum before the season starts and on the recievership of an invoice telling them a payment is due, you do run a real risk of having a sponsor be unable, for whatever reason, to pay due money becase theirs no written and formal contract at pretty much any time during the season.

Which of course has an adverse affect on the team because, as tracsmart said, the team have to cover the costs which means ditching the driver and getting in someone who can pay on time. So although it ain't the drivers fault the sponsors couldn't cough up the reddies the driver is the one that pays the consequences. Which surely rebounds back on the sponsor. Who wan't to ask a sponsor to invest money in them when the sponsor has known in the past to not have paid on time and as a result caused the driver their sponsoring to lose his seat?

Does anyone think that is one reason why everyone wants a factory drive? Not just because, more so in the case of VXR, a greater chance of winning races, but because factory drivers are paid?