PDA

View Full Version : Berni wants a GP in Paris

rublazar2
12th May 2008, 18:22
http://www.lequipe.fr/Formule1/breves2008/20080511_194313_ecclestone-rejette-magny-cours_Dev.html

Maybe my French is fading, but for what I understand, Bernie wants a French GP in Paris. Is this Last Bernie's Delirium????

ChrisS
12th May 2008, 19:04
Bernie has been talking about a GP at Paris for a while now, about a year ago there was talk about a French GP near Disneyland Paris.

N. Jones
12th May 2008, 19:13
Anywhere but Magny-Cours! That track is boredom city....

veeten
12th May 2008, 23:23
It's not too suprising...

Over the last couple of years he's been trying to get more GPs in cities like Paris and London, similar to what Champ Car was doing the last couple of years with most of their race dates. In some ways, it's an attempt to get the regular venues to dance to his tune, in others it's a way to get more revenue from new sources.

The end will be the same as always; inflated costs for those hosting, with CVC, FOM and himself getting the lion's share of the loot.

Valve Bounce
13th May 2008, 00:30
There is a permanent 24 hour GP in Paris along the ring road. It is open to everyone who wants to race there; customer cars are permitted.

ShiftingGears
13th May 2008, 06:41
Any interesting roads in Paris?

Tazio
13th May 2008, 07:08
It's not too suprising...

Over the last couple of years he's been trying to get more GPs in cities like Paris and London, similar to what Champ Car was doing the last couple of years with most of their race dates. In some ways, it's an attempt to get the regular venues to dance to his tune, in others it's a way to get more revenue from new sources.

The end will be the same as always; inflated costs for those hosting, with CVC, FOM and himself getting the lion's share of the loot.

Totally agree!
Bernie is so damn maniacal. Can't he give it a rest for a season or two?
Next he will be saying India needs a track around the Taj Mahal if they want to stay in F1! Personally I've never seen an F1 race at Magny Cour
that wasn't entertaining. It's in the middle of nowhere, So what!
That helps keep certain costs down! Plus there is nobody to complain about the noise!
Unlike the people on these forums not everyone wants a GP at the end of their street.
Those issues will come up in Paris. If the city really wants one they don't need Bernie to tell them they do!

Mark
13th May 2008, 08:08
Any interesting roads in Paris?

Oh yes! Bernie has indeed been talking about a Paris Grand Prix for quite a few years, ever since Magny Cours started to be on shaky ground.

A track on the outskirts will just not do, if you are going to do a Paris GP then you need to do it properly, i.e. It must incorporate the Champs-Élysées, the Arc de Triomphe and the Place de la Concorde, which is where the FIA headquaters are located.

Just imagine F1 cars racing past here; awesome!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2331/2448702944_e3237a95b3.jpg

ShiftingGears
13th May 2008, 08:44
I was thinking of actual circuit layout, undulations etc etc rather than scenery. Because scenery is a given ;)

Mark
13th May 2008, 08:57
Would it be distasteful to race through the Alma tunnel?

Ranger
13th May 2008, 09:38
Would it be distasteful to race through the Alma tunnel?

It'd probably be deemed politically incorrect, but I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Having said that, good luck to Paris if they fall for Bernie's extortion.

ioan
13th May 2008, 10:32
I doubt he will get a race on the streets of downtown Paris.

schmenke
13th May 2008, 15:35
Oh yes! Bernie has indeed been talking about a Paris Grand Prix for quite a few years, ever since Magny Cours started to be on shaky ground.

A track on the outskirts will just not do, if you are going to do a Paris GP then you need to do it properly, i.e. It must incorporate the Champs-Élysées, the Arc de Triomphe and the Place de la Concorde, which is where the FIA headquaters are located.

Just imagine F1 cars racing past here; awesome!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2331/2448702944_e3237a95b3.jpg

The Champs-Élysées, I would think, would certainly be sufficiently wide, but do you think the city of Paris would allow shutting it down for regular traffic for an entire weekend?

555-04Q2
13th May 2008, 15:40
I'm surprised he hasnt asked for a GP to be staged in my back yard. He wants it everywhere else.

schmenke
13th May 2008, 16:37
I'm surprised he hasnt asked for a GP to be staged in my back yard. ...

I recently submitted a similar offer to Bernie but the deal fell through when I informed him that I wouldn't allow tobacco advertising :mark:

Mark
13th May 2008, 17:57
They shut it down for the Tour de France every year so why not.

Ranger
14th May 2008, 04:04
They shut it down for the Tour de France every year so why not.

Yes but how big is the sanctioning fee and setup costs for a bicycle race?

Not upwards of $30 million for the event alone plus everything else I'm sure!

Rollo
14th May 2008, 05:50
I recently submitted a similar offer to Bernie but the deal fell through when I informed him that I wouldn't allow tobacco advertising :mark:

Let me get this straight. This is the same Bernie Eccleston who threatened to cancel the French GP because they wouldn't allow tobacco sponsorship? And he wants to stage another?

I wonder what my friends the SAS are doing next week...

ioan
14th May 2008, 07:01
Yes but how big is the sanctioning fee and setup costs for a bicycle race?

Not upwards of $30 million for the event alone plus everything else I'm sure!

For the bike race they pay no fee, it's a historic event for France, that's why they allow themselves to close down the Champs Elysees and some other downtown roads for it.
Not to mention that the Tour de France bikes are so silent compared to F1 cars, that's why those living in that area don't complain about it.

Tazio
14th May 2008, 07:30
Not to mention that the Tour de France bikes are so silent compared to F1 cars, that's why those living in that area don't complain about it.

That's the part I was referring to! :p : good call IOAN!

Ranger
14th May 2008, 07:42

Obviously you're right.

But like I said, good luck to Paris if they somehow fall for Bernie's extortion.

aryan
14th May 2008, 07:48
A race on champes-Elysees, in the correct world climate, would be very politically incorrect. It wouldn't go through.

I remember bernie was interested in building a circuit near the Paris disney land. I wonder how that project went...

Magny Cours has no facilities, those who support it on this forum haven't ever attended it to know what a logistics nightmare it is to go there and to find a parking place. Its facilities are all 30 years behind the times... It's time the French either build grand stands for Paul Ricard, or build a circuit in Paris to get rid of Magny Cours

ShiftingGears
14th May 2008, 08:03
Definitely time to go back to the Charade circuit.

http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/France/Charade.gif

ioan
14th May 2008, 09:12
Obviously you're right.

But like I said, good luck to Paris if they somehow fall for Bernie's extortion.

In the current French economical-political-social climate that will not happen.

PS: I think Bernie wants to get rid of Magny Cours to make place for another Midle East race, and in order not to anger the French he is proposing them a solution he knows it won't be accepted.

ArrowsFA1
14th May 2008, 09:23
For the bike race they pay no fee, it's a historic event for France...
True, but so too is the French GP. It's the oldest GP of them all, having first been run in 1906 (won by Ferenc Szisz in a Renault), and it formed a part of the first World Championships run in 1925.

ioan
14th May 2008, 09:35
True, but so too is the French GP. It's the oldest GP of them all, having first been run in 1906 (won by Ferenc Szisz in a Renault), and it formed a part of the first World Championships run in 1925.

That is true, however historically the Tour de France is the most important sporting event in France, with an enormous audience, with cycling being one of the most widespread sports in the country.
As far as F1 goes French people are more than happy that their tax money won't go anymore in Bernie's pockets, and if it wasn't for Renault winning a few seasons ago they wouldn't care much about F1's existence.
When they struggle to get 100.000 people to come watch the race in a 60.000.000 people country, than it's clear that there is no interest for it.

ArrowsFA1
14th May 2008, 10:44
When they struggle to get 100.000 people to come watch the race in a 60.000.000 people country, than it's clear that there is no interest for it.
Part of the problem there is the lack of successful French F1 drivers today. In the 1970's/80's/90's we had the likes of Prost, Pironi, Jabouille, Arnoux, Alesi, Depailler, Jarier, Laffite, Panis and Tambay. There was also finance from the likes of Elf and Gitanes, as well as government support, particularly when President Mitterand was in power.

Now France has Bourdais, who had to go to the US to make his career, and the Anglo-French Renault team. That's it.

Also, I don't really think support for F1 in a country really matters. You look at many of the countries the sport is now going to and there is no tradition of motorsport, and there are few (if any) drivers from those countries. The number of spectators at a race is of little consequence. Remember there was talk some time ago of there being a GP at Paul Ricard with no paying spectators, just VIPs!

ShiftingGears
14th May 2008, 11:23
Maybe the F1s could race the whole Tour de France route - it'd make for fantastic scenery ;)

Tazio
14th May 2008, 11:25
True, but so too is the French GP. It's the oldest GP of them all, having first been run in 1906 (won by Ferenc Szisz in a Renault), and it formed a part of the first World Championships run in 1925.My thoughts exactly
I think the Idea for any reason to take away the French GP is absurd.

It should just have a change of venue,

If they have to discontinue using Magny Cours!

Bernie really is a Fu(khe@d! :beer:

ioan
14th May 2008, 12:18
It's all about the money.
The magny Cours circuit organizers can't come up with the huge fees Bernie is asking. It was reported a few years ago that they couldn't pay the 15.000.000 fee and the government paid for them. However the tax payers, me included, are not happy to make Bernie richer than rich.
So he will get rid of the circuit in order to get the higher fee some 3rd world country would pay, because as we all know teams do not want more than 20 races a year.

Wanting a race in downtown Paris is just a lie, he knows he won't get it, but he will be in the position to say that it's the French fault not his that they don't have a GP anymore.

Tazio
14th May 2008, 13:40
It's all about the money.
The magny Cours circuit organizers can't come up with the huge fees Bernie is asking. It was reported a few years ago that they couldn't pay the 15.000.000 fee and the government paid for them. However the tax payers, me included, are not happy to make Bernie richer than rich.
So he will get rid of the circuit in order to get the higher fee some 3rd world country would pay, because as we all know teams do not want more than 20 races a year.

Wanting a race in downtown Paris is just a lie, he knows he won't get it, but he will be in the position to say that it's the French fault not his that they don't have a GP anymore.Right on!
Many cours holds one of my favorite F1 memories I think it was 2004 Mike beat Fred
on an improvised 4 stopper, and Rubins passes JT on the last corner of the last lap for a podium.
That race was a clasic. AND I"VE LOST MY RECORDING!
ANY ONE THAT CAN GET ME ONE PLEASE PM
Cheers

Tazio
16th May 2008, 14:35
The Politics of sleaze :dozey:

Ecclestone revealed that he has been told by French prime minister Francois Fillon that he will look into the possibility of a Paris race.

Fillon is the Prime Minister / Racing aficionado that aspires to have Max's job.

Why do I feel he will achieve his dream if he can pull this off!

Bernie has the juice to make it happen

Viva la France :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYbEPZVVIA

BDunnell
16th May 2008, 14:41
In the current French economical-political-social climate that will not happen.

PS: I think Bernie wants to get rid of Magny Cours to make place for another Midle East race, and in order not to anger the French he is proposing them a solution he knows it won't be accepted.

ioan, I think you're absolutely right. The same thing happened with the idea of having a GP in London. It was simply never going to happen, even with the support of the Mayor, and I'm sure it still won't. Rather, it was used as a stick with which to beat Silverstone again.

To me, any idea of hosting an F1 race on a street circuit in the centre of a major European city that already has serious traffic congestion problems even without the disruption that getting everything ready for F1 would cause is utterly fanciful. If it isn't, it ought to be.

Tazio
16th May 2008, 17:16
ioan, I think you're absolutely right. The same thing happened with the idea of having a GP in London. It was simply never going to happen, even with the support of the Mayor, and I'm sure it still won't. Rather, it was used as a stick with which to beat Silverstone again.

To me, any idea of hosting an F1 race on a street circuit in the centre of a major European city that already has serious traffic congestion problems even without the disruption that getting everything ready for F1 would cause is utterly fanciful. If it isn't, it ought to be.
I'm not disagreeing with you!
I just want to qualify your well thought out,
and expressed comment.
You are applying logic to
F1/Bernie's machinations :p :

BDunnell
18th May 2008, 22:29
I'm not disagreeing with you!
I just want to qualify your well thought out,
and expressed comment.
You are applying logic to
F1/Bernie's machinations :p :

The trouble is that there is no option but to apply logic in the case of Bernie's alleged ambitions to host these street races in European capital cities, because they simply cannot and probably will not happen.