PDA

View Full Version : will a1gp be the new steping stone to f1

CNR
12th May 2008, 14:11
Series reveal first image of new car
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67377

The chassis is based on the F1 world championship-winning Ferrari F2004, but incorporates features intended to to allow overtaking and close racing

Azumanga Davo
12th May 2008, 16:45
I'll reserve judgement until I see some close racing with it. It looks worryingly F1-like to be regarded as a good slipstreamer as yet.

Mind you, I was sceptical about the first car when that came out, mybe as it was such a weird machine to look at.

Tallgeese
24th May 2008, 00:23
I wish Jordan had an A1GP team! :'(

Bruce D
24th May 2008, 07:13
Yes I'm also concerned that this new car will be too aerodynamically dependant to allow the close racing we've enjoyed with the previous car.

As for being the stepping stone, I think it is already. I keep going on about how its spotted over-rated talent long before F1 got to experience it (witness Nelson Piquet Jr, Scott Speed, etc) and I'm still waiting for Nico Haulkenberg to get a race seat with Williams cos that will be really impressive - that boy is seriously quick!

But I still think the best logical path is that a talent gets spotted and put in a A1 car, which will allow that person to be judged against people in equal machinery without breaking the bank (I'm talking F1 teams backing young guys like Hamilton was). If he cuts the mustard there, send him to GP2 where he will be in his "final test" of running equal machinery with others but now a little faster plus learning the European tracks of F1 and the whole F1 vibe/way of life. And then its into F1 if he proves usefull enough.

ArrowsFA1
24th May 2008, 08:32
As for being the stepping stone, I think it is already. ...I still think the best logical path is that a talent gets spotted and put in a A1 car, which will allow that person to be judged against people in equal machinery without breaking the bank.
No. A1GP is not a new stepping stone to F1. There are many other better, well established, supported, and credible series where talent is already judged in equal machinery. That includes karting, FPA, the Renault & BMW series, up to GP2.

Also, A1GP is not a series based around drivers, or so they tell us. The series has come along with a neat marketing trick ("World Cup of Motorsport") but little else. Its' repeated attempts to link itself in some way to F1 (see the idea of A1, A2, & A3 ladder - F1, F2, F3 anyone?) have culminated in the link with Ferrari. However, Ferrari's involvment is merely likely to see the series become Formula Ferrari.

A1GP is no more a stepping stone to anywhere than the new Superleague Formula because both are more interested in marketing than motorracing.

Roamy
24th May 2008, 08:58
it will probably be the replacement series for F1

Ranger
24th May 2008, 10:33
No. A1GP is not a new stepping stone to F1. There are many other better, well established, supported, and credible series where talent is already judged in equal machinery. That includes karting, FPA, the Renault & BMW series, up to GP2.

Also, A1GP is not a series based around drivers, or so they tell us. The series has come along with a neat marketing trick ("World Cup of Motorsport") but little else. Its' repeated attempts to link itself in some way to F1 (see the idea of A1, A2, & A3 ladder - F1, F2, F3 anyone?) have culminated in the link with Ferrari. However, Ferrari's involvment is merely likely to see the series become Formula Ferrari.

A1GP is no more a stepping stone to anywhere than the new Superleague Formula because both are more interested in marketing than motorracing.

It hasn't done Nico Hulkenberg too much harm.

Also, there was never a specific, single stepping stone to F1.

wedge
24th May 2008, 14:50
I agree with Arrows, A1GP is a Mickey Mouse Championship with a gimmick.

The motorsport ladder is nearly always about the best of the best, but you can't really say that about A1GP - more of an anomaly.

You want to be in F3 which is the pinnacle junior category and ideally jump to F1 (though there are exceptions like Kimi). If not then GP2/Renault WS and then F1. If not F1 then there huge choice in the top tier: Indycars, endurance racing, touring cars - all have a number of drivers you should be aiming to beat.

ArrowsFA1
24th May 2008, 15:00
It hasn't done Nico Hulkenberg too much harm.
Hulkenberg progressed through karting, Formula BMW and F3 before taking part in A1GP. It wasn't a stepping stone for him, more a diversion at the behest of his manager Willi Webber who, coincidentally, managed the German A1 team.

There probably isn't a specific route to F1 now, but karting, Formula BMW, F3 and GP2/F1 test driver, is as good as there is.

Sleeper
24th May 2008, 18:58
Not really, mainly because its a winter series. By the time its finished, the summer season is just getting started and most of the quality drivers from the series move of to GP2/Renault 3.5 and end up with much closer scrutiny from the F1 teams that are looking for new test/race drivers.

CNR
25th May 2008, 01:28
do not forget that the car is based on the F1 world championship-winning Ferrari F2004 winning 15 out of 18 races, and scoring 12 pole positions.
Karthikeyan has unfinished business in F1.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/22052008/23/karthikeyan-unfinished-business-f1.html

"With Ferrari coming into A1GP, it gives it that much more credibility," the man from Chennai told Reuters. "There are some talented drivers who possibly are struggling to get into Formula 1 as there are only a limited number of seats. This will practically be a Formula 1 car - with carbon brakes, better tyres [and] more downforce,

Bruce D
25th May 2008, 06:21
There probably isn't a specific route to F1 now, but karting, Formula BMW, F3 and GP2/F1 test driver, is as good as there is.

Well exactly, so doing a season of A1 isn't going to hurt anyones reputation unless they prove to be over-rated, but then that seems to be ignored until they get into F1 and then its suddenly "oh dear, this guy sucks!"

While I understand you "F1-or-nothing" fans getting offended by A1's very existence, you have to agree that it has offered something that F1 hasn't in years (decades?) - unpredictable results and close racing. But I think Ferrari are about to kill that one with this new car, probably under instructions from Bernie.

ArrowsFA1
25th May 2008, 10:37
While I understand you "F1-or-nothing" fans getting offended by A1's very existence, you have to agree that it has offered something that F1 hasn't in years (decades?) - unpredictable results and close racing. But I think Ferrari are about to kill that one with this new car, probably under instructions from Bernie.
Don't get me wrong Bruce, I'm far from the "F1-or-nothing" attitude. However, A1GP is a marketing concept, and it has been quite successful with its' PR. Despite denials, the series loves being talked about in the same breath as F1 because it believes that gives it an element of credibility.

You say that the series has given unpredictable results and close racing, but so has, for example, Formula Palmer Audi over many years, but you don't see Jonathan Palmer making inflated claims about his series. There are many series that do the same, particularly Formula Ford which had its own World Cup and is a fantastic stage for young drivers.

wedge
25th May 2008, 11:53
Well exactly, so doing a season of A1 isn't going to hurt anyones reputation unless they prove to be over-rated, but then that seems to be ignored until they get into F1 and then its suddenly "oh dear, this guy sucks!"

That's why we have a motorsport ladder, we want to see the best of the best in action, competition, and to a degree dog-eat-dog.

I'd rather see Nico Hulkenburg prove his worth GP2 than see him 'on a Sunday drive' in A1GP.

Tallgeese
25th May 2008, 19:23
it will probably be the replacement series for F1

Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!