PDA

View Full Version : A proper name for 'turn 8'

aryan
11th May 2008, 03:47
It's fast, it's understeery, it's blind, champions have gone off multiple times on it, there has not been a single race without an incident on it, 7 seconds of 5g force on the pilot, very hard to enter... harder to exit as you need to carry speed into the next corner.

This is the stuff of legends. Surely that turn deserves a name less boring than a generic "turn 8".

My choice: Sultan Pasha! :D

Bring on your suggestions...

Tazio
11th May 2008, 03:54
I would like to humbly nominate christening it "The Turk"

Hawkmoon
11th May 2008, 04:34
Whilst it is a great corner it's not really legendary due to there being approximately 6 kilometres of tarmac runoff on the outside of the corner. Eau Rouge and 130R are legendary because when they get it wrong people are scraping the car off a wall.

Drivers aren't punished for a mistake so the fear factor is gone. Stick a gravel trap or a wall near the corner and the we'd see who's got big ones.

"Turn 8" is just fine, by the way, as all the other well known corners have names making "Turn 8" instantly recognisable.

woody2goody
11th May 2008, 04:51
Whilst it is a great corner it's not really legendary due to there being approximately 6 kilometres of tarmac runoff on the outside of the corner. Eau Rouge and 130R are legendary because when they get it wrong people are scraping the car off a wall.

Drivers aren't punished for a mistake so the fear factor is gone. Stick a gravel trap or a wall near the corner and the we'd see who's got big ones.

"Turn 8" is just fine, by the way, as all the other well known corners have names making "Turn 8" instantly recognisable.

I agree. Drivers are greatly challenged, but aren't scared of 8, and this is why they push so hard through there. There's about 100 metres of run-off there, it's ridiculous. If it was grass then fair enough. They should at least put some more of that stupid astroturf stuff there.

Safety is very important, but mistakes should be punished at nearly every corner. That's why removing some of the walls at Monaco is a mistake. I sort of understand the one after the fast chicane, but the St. Devote one just allows them to cut the corner!

aryan
11th May 2008, 05:15
Whilst it is a great corner it's not really legendary due to there being approximately 6 kilometres of tarmac runoff on the outside of the corner.

Having a wall at that speed is homicide. I like racing, but I like all driver to come alive after the race.

It does punish. badly. Talk to Webber and he'll tell you how.

I didn't' say turn 8 is ambiguous. I said it's dull.

ShiftingGears
11th May 2008, 05:17
At least put a gravel trap there so the drivers risk a DNF for really pushing.

aryan
11th May 2008, 05:18
I would like to humbly nominate christening it "The Turk"

hmmm, Istanbul has a 7,500 year history of human settlement. It has been the capital of 3 empires, and at times the most important city on Earth.

It has been in 'Turkey' for less than a century.

Surely, something a bit more majestic? ;)
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/4051/constantinoplepanoramicky2.jpg

woody2goody
11th May 2008, 05:50
Having a wall at that speed is homicide. I like racing, but I like all driver to come alive after the race.

But Webber went off after the turn really, got a bit too wide on to the slippery bit. He killed the front end of the car though.

Tazio
11th May 2008, 06:29
The turn doesn't have to be especially death defying to earn a name!
It is one of the most physically demanding to get right, at speed, every lap of the race.
I think a name derived from something associated with Turkey is a pretty cool Idea.
I also think my previous suggestion was rather clever! ;)
They aren't going to build any more tracks that are purposely put drivers in (any more)
eminent danger of killing themselves! (Beyond the fact that it is possible at almost any point
of any track given the right set of circumstances/and or failure,
to have a fatal accident) It's not Turkeys fault they didn't get a Grand Prix until four years ago!
Cheers!

truefan72
11th May 2008, 08:43

agreed

It is a pretty incredible turn as is

Let's just call it "turn 8" that name is already an instant classic.

Ask any F1 fan,driver, commentator, or reporter and they all know what you are talking about.

The minimalist name defies its intensity.
Just like 130R, it isn,t the name but the connotation that makes it memorable.

There are some great names out there already for some pretty lame corners/segments.

aryan
11th May 2008, 08:59
The minimalist name defies its intensity.
Just like 130R, it isn,t the name but the connotation that makes it memorable.

As much as I like changing the name to something more melancholic, I can't find fault with your logic.

F1boat
11th May 2008, 09:48
Ataturk corner would be the best, because he is probably the greatest politician in the history of Turkey :)

jens
11th May 2008, 12:01
Talking about historic figures, then what about 'Osman' as a name? Good short name and sounds well.

Viktory
11th May 2008, 14:57
But Webber went off after the turn really, got a bit too wide on to the slippery bit. He killed the front end of the car though.

Webber didn't crash at Turn 8, it was earlier, turn 6 or something. I reacted to that in qualifying build up on ITV when they spoke about the "feared" turn 8 and showed Webber's crash in FP2, a bit of a mistake.

woody2goody
11th May 2008, 15:00
Webber didn't crash at Turn 8, it was earlier, turn 6 or something. I reacted to that in qualifying build up on ITV when they spoke about the "feared" turn 8 and showed Webber's crash in FP2, a bit of a mistake.

Oh, OK then. The problem is that the exit of turn 6 looks a bit like the exit of 8 from certain angles. It didn't look like a big enough crash at the time to be in 8.

Sleeper
11th May 2008, 15:04
Turn 6 is a right hander so he couldnt have crashed there, it was turn 8.

As for a name, whats Turkish for challenge?

Viktory
11th May 2008, 15:07
Turn 6 is a right hander so he couldnt have crashed there, it was turn 8.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6I0d2MJaGA0

Not sure what number it is, just counted back two from 8.

elinagr
11th May 2008, 15:28
u can call it GREEK TURN, turks used to steal our land...

their capital was Greek also...

Dr. Krogshöj
11th May 2008, 16:07
It will probably become something like "Petrol Ofisi Turn" or "Turkcell Corner"...

aryan
11th May 2008, 16:14

If my knowledge of Turkish is still correct, no real translation exist for that word. I've seen turks use "çalenç", which is more of a transliteration and is read like "challench".

Garry Walker
11th May 2008, 17:19
Talking about historic figures, then what about 'Osman' as a name? Good short name and sounds well.

Better yet, name it "osama" turn

ChrisS
11th May 2008, 19:29
Maybe they can name the turn after the dog :p

Viktory
11th May 2008, 20:37

haha! that's the best one so far!

Azumanga Davo
12th May 2008, 16:47

I am not having Martin Brundle arrive onto my television set and tell me the intricacies and difficulties of 'Fido' corner. ;)

millencolin
13th May 2008, 01:30
I am not having Martin Brundle arrive onto my television set and tell me the intricacies and difficulties of 'Fido' corner. ;)

How about Rover Bend? Pooch hairpin? Santa's Little Helper turn?

Azumanga Davo
13th May 2008, 12:39
How about Rover Bend? Pooch hairpin? Santa's Little Helper turn?

I will settle for Odie Complex. Jim Davis was onto something with that name, y'know... ;)

millencolin
13th May 2008, 14:28
I will settle for Odie Complex. Jim Davis was onto something with that name, y'know... ;)

lol DEAL!

keysersoze
14th May 2008, 02:16
After he retires, they should rename it "Massa."

Tazio
14th May 2008, 02:55
Massa should be the name of the track in general!
As it appears he owns it! :beer: