PDA

View Full Version : There are 4 drivers who could do a better job than Massa

wedge
8th May 2008, 15:28
According to Mark Hughes:

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=Mark_Hughes&id=42505

There are at least four drivers currently not in race-winning cars who, I would venture, could do more with that drive than Massa.

To make it more interesting you can't pick Alonso!

Button, Kubica, Bourdais, Webber

Tazio
8th May 2008, 15:41
Comepletely speculative!
Rhetorical waste of time IMO

jens
8th May 2008, 15:52
What is a non-race-winning car? Do McLaren and BMW count in this question, especially as both cars seem roughly on the same level? Such clarification is important if we want to guess, which drivers did Hughes mean.

tinchote
8th May 2008, 16:07
It's so easy to say things like that. A few years ago, everybody said that Fisi was top material, for his showings in slower cars; when the time came for him to drive in a top team, he was a huge dissapointment. The same can probably be said to Trulli.

So, who's to say that these drivers who look good in "not winning cars" will be at the top if given a Ferrari?

jens
8th May 2008, 16:16
A few years ago, everybody said that Fisi was top material, for his showings in slower cars; when the time came for him to drive in a top team, he was a huge dissapointment. The same can probably be said to Trulli.

But Trulli has never driven in a top team. :p : And he is actually the reverse - when the car is good, he excels. In a weaker car he struggles.

Dave B
8th May 2008, 16:32
Only four? :p

Knock-on
8th May 2008, 17:08
Only four? :p

What a load of rubbish. He left me off the list... and my cat :D

aryan
8th May 2008, 18:14
It's so easy to say things like that. A few years ago, everybody said that Fisi was top material, for his showings in slower cars; when the time came for him to drive in a top team, he was a huge dissapointment. The same can probably be said to Trulli.

I don't want to hijack this tread but I couldn't let this pass.

When was Truli in a championship winning car?

The 2004 Renault was at best the 3rd fastest car on the grid, and Truli had more points than Alonso when he left Renault, even though he had had a couple of subpar races, he was still ahead in head-to-head battle with his decorated teammate.

Back to this article: I would classify McLaren and BMW as capable of winning races, so those their 4 drivers don't count. My pick of this hypothetical selection of drivers would be:

Alonso
Webber
Truli
Button

Garry Walker
8th May 2008, 18:45
Mark Hughes is wrong on this issue.
Webber is the only one I can think of, that could maybe do better than Massa.

woody2goody
8th May 2008, 20:19
Discounting BMW and McLaren:

Alonso
Button
Trulli
Rosberg

About Fisichella, the reason that I think he didn't do as well as Alonso, apart from his terrible luck, was that the Renault had terrible understeer, which suited Alonso but not Fisi. Giancarlo couldn't get the back end into the corners like he used to.

jjanicke
8th May 2008, 21:31
Ferrari, BMW and Mclaren are all potential race winning cars. So:

Alonso
Button
Bourdais
Webber/Vettel

Hawkmoon
8th May 2008, 22:39
Hughes is talking out of his arse!

Bourdais has shown exactly nothing in an F1 car that would suggest he's a better driver than Massa. ChampCar doesn't count simply because it isn't F1.

Webber is the same. I haven't seen any blinding speed out of Webber on a Sunday. He seems to use it all up on Saturday afternoons.

Kubica is a possibility but as others have pointed out the BMW is pretty damn quick so we'll get the chance to find out sooner rather than later.

Alonso I will give him. He's a double world champion afterall an in my opinion McLaren would be doing better now if he had stayed and Hamilton left.

jjanicke
8th May 2008, 23:37
Bourdais has shown nothing other than handing it to his F1 more experienced little teammate who happened to do pretty damn good @ BMW when he subbed in for Kubica last year.

That's enough to put him in contention for being better than Massa in my book.

Webber I tend to agree but he's got something in there but never has had the chance really to show it.

Valve Bounce
8th May 2008, 23:42

Bernoldi, Diniz, Yamamoto, (can't think of the fourth guy yet, I'll need more time) :D

.................Oh Yeah! just remembered: Eddie Irvine of course!!

Hawkmoon
9th May 2008, 04:11
Bourdais has shown nothing other than handing it to his F1 more experienced little teammate who happened to do pretty damn good @ BMW when he subbed in for Kubica last year.

It's 2-2 in qualifying between Bourdais and Vettel and the race results are clouded by the fact that out of 8 starts Toro Rosso have lost a car on lap 1 5 times (3 for Vettel and 2 for Bourdais). The one occaison that Vettel did make it past the first lap his car DNF'd with hydraulic failure.

Bourdais has 1 good result in Australia, has finished 15th after starting 15th, has had a lap 1 accident and spun off of his own accord on lap 1 on the other occaision. These aren't results that make me think he's better than Massa.

Tazio
9th May 2008, 05:02

Bourdais has shown exactly nothing in an F1 car that would suggest he's a better driver than Massa. ChampCar doesn't count simply because it isn't F1.

Webber is the same. I haven't seen any blinding speed out of Webber on a Sunday. He seems to use it all up on Saturday afternoons.

Kubica is a possibility but as others have pointed out the BMW is pretty damn quick so we'll get the chance to find out sooner rather than later.

Alonso I will give him. He's a double world champion afterall an in my opinion McLaren would be doing better now if he had stayed and Hamilton left. Nice :up:

Valve Bounce
9th May 2008, 05:03
It's 2-2 in qualifying between Bourdais and Vettel and the race results are clouded by the fact that out of 8 starts Toro Rosso have lost a car on lap 1 5 times (3 for Vettel and 2 for Bourdais). The one occaison that Vettel did make it past the first lap his car DNF'd with hydraulic failure.

Bourdais has 1 good result in Australia, has finished 15th after starting 15th, has had a lap 1 accident and spun off of his own accord on lap 1 on the other occaision. These aren't results that make me think he's better than Massa.

Yeah! :( I'm having second thoughts about Bernoldi! :p :

rah
9th May 2008, 05:50
Alonso is all I could think of. I think Webber's ship has sailed.

CNR
9th May 2008, 06:03
Alonso is all I could think of. I think Webber's ship has sailed.

YOU WILL FIND THAT WEBBER HAS QUALIFIED IN THE TOP TEN MORE TIMES THEN MASSA.

pino
9th May 2008, 06:08
Alonso, Kubica...maybe Trulli, and nobody else !

janneppi
9th May 2008, 06:26
I

I don't know, that put's him pretty even with Massa's performances this season, tough call. ;)

ShiftingGears
9th May 2008, 06:41
Discounting BMW and McLaren:

Alonso
Button
Trulli
Rosberg

About Fisichella, the reason that I think he didn't do as well as Alonso, apart from his terrible luck, was that the Renault had terrible understeer, which suited Alonso but not Fisi. Giancarlo couldn't get the back end into the corners like he used to.

The same Rosberg that was consistently destroyed by Webber? Nakajima's qualifying better than he is.

For this year, excluding Alonso, I think Webber would be worthy of a top drive. Trulli and Kubica are also impressive this year.

rah
9th May 2008, 07:15
I AM SURE HE HAS. But unfortunately during the race people don't move out of the way for him.

Knock-on
9th May 2008, 09:23
Well, the only one that springs to mind is Button. Look what he did with a dog of a Honda getting it up to 3rd.

However, I would hate seeing him in a Ferrari :(

woody2goody
9th May 2008, 09:39
The same Rosberg that was consistently destroyed by Webber? Nakajima's qualifying better than he is.

For this year, excluding Alonso, I think Webber would be worthy of a top drive. Trulli and Kubica are also impressive this year.

Here we go again, the whole Webber is king theory...

Webber did beat Rosberg, but didn't destroy him from what I remember. It was Nico's first season in F1 in '06, so you can't read too much into that.

Webber's fans seem to think he has a God-given right to be winning Grands Prix for some reason. He is good I'll admit it, but he's not even a top 10 driver in F1 for me. That alone means that he isn't good enough to be given a top drive.

I know he has had some bad luck, but even without that we might have seen 1 or 2 more podiums from him. For a 'top' driver, he only has 2 podiums. He had a year at Williams ('05) where he only scored one third place despite Ferrari not figuring at all for most of the year. Whereas his team-mate, Nick Heidfeld scored 2 podiums and a pole position in the space of a week!

He is overrated in my opinion. He wouldn't crash as much as Massa, but he wouldn't be able to take the fight to Raikkonen for sheer speed I don't think.

Also why did McLaren want Nico instead of Mark during this winter if Mark is so much better than him?

I agree with you about Trulli and Kubica. Also Fisichella has been excellent.

Hawkmoon
9th May 2008, 09:41

What? This year Massa hasn't missed the top 10 (nor should he in a Ferrari) and Webber is only 2 for 4 in top 10 qualifying.

Unless you're talking about over there entire careers in which case I have no idea if you're correct or not and I'm not going to look it up either.

I still don't see the relevance of the statement though.

Hawkmoon
9th May 2008, 09:43
However, I would hate seeing him [Button] in a Ferrari :(

Me neither, though I bet it's for different reasons. ;)

pino
9th May 2008, 10:08
However, I would hate seeing him in a Ferrari :(

Don't worry, it won't happen :p :

Ranger
9th May 2008, 10:16
Also why did McLaren want Nico instead of Mark during this winter if Mark is so much better than him?

Mercedes?

ShiftingGears
9th May 2008, 10:24
Here we go again, the whole Webber is king theory...

Webber did beat Rosberg, but didn't destroy him from what I remember. It was Nico's first season in F1 in '06, so you can't read too much into that.

There are usually impressions that drivers are going to be good by strong performances, but I didn't see that at all from Nico. His most impressive achievement was when he scored fastest lap on debut, when Webber scored second fastest lap. Everything else was downhill from there.

He is good I'll admit it, but he's not even a top 10 driver in F1 for me. That alone means that he isn't good enough to be given a top drive.

You just backed up your opinion with another of your own opinions.

I know he has had some bad luck, but even without that we might have seen 1 or 2 more podiums from him. For a 'top' driver, he only has 2 podiums. He had a year at Williams ('05) where he only scored one third place despite Ferrari not figuring at all for most of the year. Whereas his team-mate, Nick Heidfeld scored 2 podiums and a pole position in the space of a week!
He has been in ****/show cars his whole career. Two podiums compared to one! I am impressed! Heidfeld only scored a higher position at Monaco than Webber because of when the team pitted him. The Williams was simply not good enough to be consistently beating the Renaults/McLarens/Ferraris. Also Webber managed a front row position in a Jaguar, which was a pretty awesome feat.

Because young drivers tend to be heavily overrated based on the fact that they're young. See Vettel, Sutil etc...

I agree with you about Trulli and Kubica. Also Fisichella has been excellent.

As excellent as Fisichella has been this year, I think he deserves the seat at Force India. I wouldn't give him another shot in a top team.

aryan
9th May 2008, 10:53
Fisico had to go to Jordan in 2004 as well, and Jordan was very much a fading backmarker then. He salvaged his career by his excellent performance and bought himself a top driver for the next 2 seasons.

He is 4 years older now, but he might be able to re-create the magic. Don't write him off, yet...

jens
9th May 2008, 12:20
The discussion about drivers tends to be heated. :p :

I think back in 2005 Webber struggled to adapt to the single tyre rule, which I think why he struggled a bit that seaosn (Heidfeld as a smooth driver conserve keep his tyres better throughout the race). But on other seasons Webber has IMO been very impressive. It's hard to compare him to Rosberg. Nico wasn't hopeless in his debut season, at times he could match Webber, but on other occasions he was slower and made mistakes. Last year, however, he became more consistent and error-free (except in the rain) and has quite obviously become better, but the jury is still out on him (comparison with Nakajima won't tell the whole truth either). Webber has been very impressive against DC and has been faster than the Scotsman quite consistently. I think Webber has been more impressive against DC than Button has been against another oldie Barrichello as the Brazilian at times manages to beat the Briton. RB has outqualified JB 3 times in the last 5 GP's (incl Brazil '07).

Excluding McLaren and BMW, who would do better than Massa?
Alonso, Webber, also that 'unproven' Rosberg (okay, he lost to Nakajima in quali last time, but you can't beat your team-mate always - even Michael didn't accomplish this. If he loses the next two qualis too, then we should be more concerned) all have looked quite consistent and less error-prone than Felipe.

About Button there was a lot of hype before the season like he was going to benefit from the TC-ban, but actually can't see much of a difference. Since 2004 I have rated him very highly, but to justify this faith he really needs to handle Barrichello more convincingly.

Hard to say about Trulli. Toyota has the tendency to make drivers look weaker than they are (surely in the future someone looking at the results would say that Trulli performed poorly in Spain, but actually he was close to Webber until his second planned stop, which lasted for 11,9 seconds and dropped him further behind, not to mention the communication error, which was really unlucky as he got the call in the last chicane and didn't have time to discuss, but to come straight in. When he had entered the pitlane, he was told that he didn't need to come in :s - if it had happened in the first two sectors, this could have been avoided).

But what is quite obvious that Webber's and Trulli's race paces are underrated. IMO they are two of the best qualifiers in F1, who constantly put the car higher on the grid than it deserves. Kubica and also Massa have shown to be very good in qualifying too, but MW and JT have shown astonishing consistency in qualis, being able to show very constant laptimes throughout qualifyings, while RK and FM occasionally make mistakes on their fliers (RK in Australia and FM in Spain). Yeah, MW and JT are not that extraordinary in races (if they were, they would be all-time legends :p : ), but by no way their race pace is poor (for example the difference in Piquet's quali and race performances seem to be bigger at the moment).

Bourdais and Vettel are still unproven and however they perform or however their intra-team battle ends, it's still impossible to say, how good they are compared to those drivers, who drive in a top team. If one of them joins Webber at RB next year, then we will get an answer about their level.

If we include McLaren and BMW, then I may put all their four drivers above Felipe.

CNR
9th May 2008, 12:37
What? This year Massa hasn't missed the top 10 (nor should he in a Ferrari) and Webber is only 2 for 4 in top 10 qualifying.

Unless you're talking about over there entire careers in which case I have no idea if you're correct or not and I'm not going to look it up either.

I still don't see the relevance of the statement though.

this is for Hawkmoon it was on rpm on the weekend it is over the time thay have both been in f1

Bezza
9th May 2008, 12:51
Alonso, Button, Webber, Coulthard, Fisi, Kubica and Heidfeld are all better drivers than Massa.

jens
9th May 2008, 12:55
One more thought about Webber and Trulli. Let's take qualifying times from the Spanish Grand Prix. Both drivers from four teams (RB, Toyota, Williams, Honda). In the brackets I show the session, when their quickest time of the whole qualifying was shown.

P7 Webber 1:20.984 (Q2)
P8 Trulli 1:20.907 (Q2)
P11 Barrichello 1:21.049 (Q2)
P12 Nakajima 1:21.117 (Q2)
P13 Button 1:21.211 (Q2)
P14 Glock 1:21.230 (Q2)
P15 Rosberg 1:21.349 (Q2)
P17 Coulthard 1:21.810 (Q1, probably would have bettered his time in Q2)

I'm quite confident everyone thought after the Spanish GP that Red Bull and Toyota have better cars than Honda and Williams. But to be honest, I'm not sure about that at all! Looking at the times (how close they were) and also the comparison of team-mates, I think it's highly possible that Toyota and Red Bull are roughly equal to Honda and Williams, but JT and MW with their superior one-lap pace simply outqualified them all. And they stayed in front of them during the whole race too. But as MW and JT don't drive away from the drivers behind them (whose cars were at least as good as theirs) as clearly as they do in qualifying (by the way, in terms of times the gaps are small anyway), the folks think that they are poor racers. :rolleyes:

aryan
9th May 2008, 14:11
The discussion about drivers tends to be heated. :p :

And yet I found your post one of the most rational I've seen in a while. See, we can be civilised :p

I think back in 2005 Webber struggled to adapt to the single tyre rule, which I think why he struggled a bit that season (Heidfeld as a smooth driver conserve keep his tyres better throughout the race).And Heidfeld is quick, no doubt about him.

Nico... but the jury is still out on himTrue, and yet I think if Nakajima continues to lift his game, as he has done recently (and today in practice), Rosberg can have a real fight on his hand. His stock will considerably fall if he doesn't convincingly beat Nakajima by the end of the season.

I think we all rushed to conclusions based on Brazil and called Nakajima a pay driver. The kid seems to be doing fine for a rookie.

Webber has been very impressive against DC and has been faster than the Scotsman quite consistently. He probably has been faster overall, but the 2007 results don't show it much. What matters in F1 is points, and the Scot had more of them come the end of the season.

I think Webber has been more impressive against DC than Button has been against another oldie Barrichello What Button (deservedly or undeservedly) has, which Webber lacks, is his team's total commitment in him. Honda has shown it's willing to build the team around Button (the merits of this decision is debatable in itself), but the same cannot be said of Red Bull and Webber.

Toyota has the tendency to make drivers look weaker than they areThey seem to have quite a nice package this year. If they can come out of the championship in 4th place, and Truli finds himself in the top 8, Toyota will commit to him for next year (something which they didn't do while R Schumacher was there). I rate Truli as a car developer... who knows what lies ahead with Toyota and Truli.

But what is quite obvious that Webber's and Trulli's race paces are underrated. IMO they are two of the best qualifiers in F1, who constantly put the car higher on the grid than it deserves. :up:

If we include McLaren and BMW, then I may put all their four drivers above Felipe.
:up:

aryan
9th May 2008, 14:14
this is for Hawkmoon it was on rpm on the weekend it is over the time thay have both been in f1

Attested!

RPM said Webber has had more top 10 finishes in his career than Massa, and they started F1 the same year IIRC.

jjanicke
9th May 2008, 16:17

It's 2-2 in qualifying between a guy that has been testing or driving F1 for several years now, and a guy that first stepped into an F1 car this year.

Firstgear
9th May 2008, 18:49
Definately Alonso & Kubica. Possibly a whole list of others including Heidfeld, Rosberg, Webber & Button. Too early to consider Bordais.

The article goes on about Massa being very fast but prone to errors. Also that he tries risky/irrational things when he's behind his teammate. Going by that, I'd add Sato to the list as equal to Massa.

Massa equal to Sato.....hmmm....my opinion of Massa has just gone up a bit.

woody2goody
9th May 2008, 19:38
They seem to have quite a nice package this year. If they can come out of the championship in 4th place, and Trulli finds himself in the top 8, Toyota will commit to him for next year (something which they didn't do while R Schumacher was there). I rate Trulli as a car developer... who knows what lies ahead with Toyota and Trulli.

Timo Glock's problem is the fact that Trulli qualifies brilliantly. Thus he is able to get the extra 3/4 tenths to completely elevate himself away from the extremely tight midfield. Glock can't seem to Q as well as Jarno, and so is stuck in the middle of the field, despite having generally good pace this year. The only person who I have seen Timo hold up this year has been Raikkonen, and he went off trying to overtake him!

woody2goody
9th May 2008, 19:42
About Button there was a lot of hype before the season like he was going to benefit from the TC-ban, but actually can't see much of a difference. Since 2004 I have rated him very highly, but to justify this faith he really needs to handle Barrichello more convincingly.

Michael Schumacher proved that Rubinho was quite difficult to handle convincingly. Jenson is consistently around 0.1 quicker than Rubens, sometimes more.

Jenson set the fastest lap by 5 seconds early on in Bahrain after his puncture and first pit stop. In that car that shows his talent is considerable.

After practice today it looks like both Hondas could be in the points come Sunday afternoon.

ten-tenths
9th May 2008, 19:47

Alonso I will give him. He's a double world champion afterall an in my opinion McLaren would be doing better now if he had stayed and Hamilton left.

couldnt of said it better myself.

Hawkmoon
10th May 2008, 00:23
It's 2-2 in qualifying between a guy that has been testing or driving F1 for several years now, and a guy that first stepped into an F1 car this year.

Yes but the argument is not that Bourdais is better than Vettel, it's that Bourdais is better than Massa. People are using Bourdais' performance against Vettel as evidence that he's better than Massa.

I dispute this for two reasons. Firstly that Bourdais has neither beaten nor been beaten by Vettel. He's done a good job in comparison but that's all. He hasn't thrashed the young German by any means so I don't see why he's getting all the praise. Unless of course many thought he would stink up the place so bad that a 7th place finish looks like a world title by comparison.

The second reason I dispute this argument is that I don't think that Vettel is better than Massa either. The future may tell a different story but right now Vettel is a long way off Massa in my opinion. So Bourdais showing being competitive against a guy who himself isn't better than Massa is no reason to suggest that Bourdais himself is better than Massa.

jjanicke
10th May 2008, 00:32
Vettel is a pretty damn good driver, as demonstrated with his maiden drive.

So you don't believe in Bourdais, yet. I can understand that.

I watched him for all of his dominant years in Champ Car. He will shine in F1! And I feel that he is already starting to show why he was so brilliant in ChampCar.

Garry Walker
11th May 2008, 17:41
Alonso, Button, Webber, Coulthard, Fisi, Kubica and Heidfeld are all better drivers than Massa.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Alonso, Kubica and Webber, maybe - maybe not.
Button, Fisi, coulthard , Heidfeld - :rotflmao:

I watched him for all of his dominant years in Champ Car. He will shine in F1! And I feel that he is already starting to show why he was so brilliant in ChampCar.

When your rival is Paul Tracy, it is pretty hard for any decent driver to not look brilliant

pettersolberg29
11th May 2008, 18:33
The only drivers better than Massa are:

Hamilton
Raikkonen
Kubica
Heidfeld
Alonso

Webber, Button, Bourdais etc are good, but not that good otherwise the top teams would want them surely?

Bagwan
11th May 2008, 19:50
None of them did better than Massa today .

Valve Bounce
11th May 2008, 23:18
"There are at least four drivers currently not in race-winning cars who, I would venture, could do more with that drive than Massa.

Lucky for Massa that golden boy bunsen had a lousy car; otherwise it would have been curtains for Massa yesterday.

Tazio
12th May 2008, 00:19
Judging by his recent form four living drivers not currently in winning cars that would clearly outperform Massa:

Stewart
Mike
Hakkinen
Prost

In their day!
Except Mike still could :p :

Valve Bounce
12th May 2008, 00:48
Judging by his recent form four living drivers not currently in winning cars that would clearly outperform Massa:

Stewart
Mike
Hakkinen
Prost

In their day!
Except Mike still could :p :

I think Kimi could go close.

Tazio
12th May 2008, 02:41
I think Kimi could go close.Only drivers not curently in winning cars! :p :

Valve Bounce
12th May 2008, 05:05
Only drivers not curently in winning cars! :p :

Dang!! I knew that one was too easy :(
I'm trying to learn how to play Sudoku :confused:

555-04Q2
12th May 2008, 06:34

He forgot to mention Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse and his mother :s tareup:

Mikeall
12th May 2008, 15:04
If Massa hadn't have spun out of second place at the Malaysian GP he would be championship leader. He clearly has the speed he just needs to keep it together and he can be great.

jens
12th May 2008, 20:19
Looking at the calender I think it has been quite obvious that Massa's strenght was going to be the start of the season, where he should have gained advantage over Räikkönen in the title fight (but alas he is trailing by 7 points). He has won in Bahrain, Spain and Turkey in previous year(s) too. He has been quick in Malaysia (recall 2006, he beat MS there!), but unfortunately binned it this time. Also we can see it from the article that the author doesn't doubt about Massa's abilities on Tilke-circuits.

But now comes the crucial part of the season. Monaco and Montreal Grand Prix's on totally different circuits. I think if Felipe does extremely well in those races, then many people would be ready to change their opinions about him. But how will he do? Especially as probably Ferrari's win won't be as "self-explanatory" as on aero circuits. He will have a tough task and a tough fight. I wish him the best of proving himself and also keeping away from the walls. :)

Knock-on
13th May 2008, 12:51
You're quite right Jens.

I nailed my colours to the mast from the start by saying Massa will end up supporting Kimi in a similar vein to the role Rubins did.

This season, Massa's traditionally best races are lumped towards the first half of the season. With some of the more testing circuits coming up, it will be interesting to see how he fares.

He's in 2nd place now but there is a chance that he will be in 4th after Silverstone. I firmly believe he will be in 3rd at best.

ioan
13th May 2008, 13:10
But now comes the crucial part of the season. Monaco and Montreal Grand Prix's on totally different circuits. I think if Felipe does extremely well in those races, then many people would be ready to change their opinions about him. But how will he do? Especially as probably Ferrari's win won't be as "self-explanatory" as on aero circuits. He will have a tough task and a tough fight. I wish him the best of proving himself and also keeping away from the walls. :)

Last year he did fairly well in Monaco, given how the Ferrari was behaving there. I wouldn't say the same about his team mate however! ;)
Oh and he was doing better than Kimi in Montreal too before he was DQed.