PDA

View Full Version : Pedestrian protection rating

leopard
8th May 2008, 07:49
A report recently claim C6 citroen hold the highest rank with four stars for pedestrian protection rating, Civic Honda and Leon Saab share the second place.

For the occupant protection rating might be easier to measure, Cars with safety system like F1 or street car with strong construction and excellent suspension probably has its right to claim the highest protection on the test.

Provided cars in comparisons are from equal class hitting pedestrian with equal speed, how accurate the test gives description about pedestrian protection. I can't calculate too much.

555-04Q2
8th May 2008, 12:36
Best pedestrian protection rating is: stay out the bl@@dy road !!!

JSH
8th May 2008, 13:30
Provided cars in comparisons are from equal class hitting pedestrian with equal speed, how accurate the test gives description about pedestrian protection. I can't calculate too much.

Crash Test Dummies.

Run cars into crash test dummies and measure force of impact on body. Countermeasures from car manufacturers include impact absorbing hood/bonnet, keeping engine components x-distance below hood/bonnet, etc ....

Allyc85
11th May 2008, 00:46
Best pedestrian protection rating is: stay out the bl@@dy road !!!

Amen to that. Was out driving today and the amount of people walking in the road that looked suprised to see a car behind them was unreal!!

BDunnell
11th May 2008, 00:53
Amen to that. Was out driving today and the amount of people walking in the road that looked suprised to see a car behind them was unreal!!

I don't have a car, but I genuinely think that general road safety on the part of many pedestrians, especially in large cities, has gone to pot in the UK. Increasingly, one sees adults wandering into the road at crossings while the signal is still red and when a quick look would reveal that doing so is (a) unwise and (b) potentially dangerous.

I'm certainly not advocating that everybody should stand rigidly to attention until the signal goes green even when no traffic can be seen or heard at all, as you see in numerous mainland European countries, but a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss.

Drew
11th May 2008, 20:26
I'm certainly not advocating that everybody should stand rigidly to attention until the signal goes green even when no traffic can be seen or heard at all, as you see in numerous mainland European countries, but a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss.

I'm going to say "numerous mainland European countries" does not include Spain ;)

leopard
12th May 2008, 03:32
Crash Test Dummies.

Run cars into crash test dummies and measure force of impact on body. Countermeasures from car manufacturers include impact absorbing hood/bonnet, keeping engine components x-distance below hood/bonnet, etc ....

The ideal condition the car should have airbag outside of the engine cap, but rest assured that it wouldn't have nice looking besides engine temp wouldn't seem to make the idea workable.

Probably manufacturers should take consideration to get back at 90s and before to make the cap's hook near the windshield, so that when colliding it will open and to put pedestrian away from engine.

Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm ...

A.F.F.
12th May 2008, 08:45
No wonder Saab is so high. They skipped crash test dummies and used dead bodies to get an ultimate response of reality :mark:

555-04Q2
12th May 2008, 10:46

Over here we have several main highways that pass what we call informal settlements. The residents of these informal settlements cross over the highways enmass to visit people on the otherside or to get to a shop. It can be nerve racking to drive at 120 kh/h through these sections sometimes :s hock:

JSH
12th May 2008, 13:35
The ideal condition the car should have airbag outside of the engine cap, but rest assured that it wouldn't have nice looking besides engine temp wouldn't seem to make the idea workable.

Probably manufacturers should take consideration to get back at 90s and before to make the cap's hook near the windshield, so that when colliding it will open and to put pedestrian away from engine.

Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm ...

External Airbags have been investigated and some even tested, but I don't think any Automaker will implement them until someone mandates them.

Another method I've also read about is a system that lifts the hood(at the windshield, pivoting on the latch at front) when impact is sensed and then giving the pedestrian a somewhat "soft" landing.

Daniel
12th May 2008, 14:39
External Airbags have been investigated and some even tested, but I don't think any Automaker will implement them until someone mandates them.

Another method I've also read about is a system that lifts the hood(at the windshield, pivoting on the latch at front) when impact is sensed and then giving the pedestrian a somewhat "soft" landing.
I think they need to develope pedestrian clothing with reactive armour built in.

Like this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t459NbF5Vek

Flynn
12th May 2008, 16:56
No wonder Saab is so high. They skipped crash test dummies and used dead bodies to get an ultimate response of reality :mark:
Wha? No way they would allow that, it's sick. These stupid safety measures are changing the way cars look which in my opinion is at the point of rediculousness. The best protection for pedestrians is to stay out of the road! Which they do for the most part thereby making it even more pointless to put so much effort into such a rare occurance and when it does accure it is normally the fault of the pedestrian. They way they are going at the moment looks like they will want to start strapping pillows to the front of cars in a few years! :mad:

Daniel
12th May 2008, 18:03
Wha? No way they would allow that, it's sick. These stupid safety measures are changing the way cars look which in my opinion is at the point of rediculousness. The best protection for pedestrians is to stay out of the road! Which they do for the most part thereby making it even more pointless to put so much effort into such a rare occurance and when it does accure it is normally the fault of the pedestrian. They way they are going at the moment looks like they will want to start strapping pillows to the front of cars in a few years! :mad:
A lot of data on the human body and impacts and so on was gathered from cadavers :mark:

gloomyDAY
20th May 2008, 19:01
Screw 'em! Just run the damn children over.
If anyone gets mad just say it's Darwinism at its best.

I think they need to develope pedestrian clothing with reactive armour built in.

Like this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t459NbF5VekYou're such an ass! :p

.....hahaha....thanks for the laugh.....

inimitablestoo
20th May 2008, 19:51
We should apply a star rating to pedestrians instead of rating the cars for pedestrian safety. I reckon I'd get about three stars because of my decent-sized frontal area for absorbing impact :)

leopard
21st May 2008, 08:14
I pick Lorenzo ...