PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis to be re-classified

Powered by Cosworth
7th May 2008, 15:51
What a load of rubbish, a stupid government going against the advice of professionals. I am so outraged.

It's less harmful than Tobacco or Alcohol, the only reason it's going up is because they're not earning any tax from it.

It needs to be legalized so it can be sold from shops and allowed to be home grown, entirely cutting out any 'gateway drug' accusations and health risks. You know what goes in it, that it's not been contaminated. This entirely cuts out the black market and providing funding to criminals.

This isn't like alcohol where rowdy teens cause trouble on streets and in towns. I don't understand how it can be used medicinally legally in one state, yet 'bad for your health' here. The links to mental health have been debated for years. Truth is we'll never know if somebody was going to go off the rails with or without.

I suggest everybody writes to their MPs, if they use it or not, and please don't be brainwashed by the media about this 'skunk' weed which will make you go loopy after one joint. It's simply not true.

maxu05
7th May 2008, 16:17
I must agree with you. This is a natural plant, and I see no reason why it should be illegal. I have said before to many people that the reason it is illegal, is that the governments will not get their tax dollars from it if you grow it at home.

Daniel
7th May 2008, 17:56
Ban tobacco, alcohol and cannabis I say.

Actually no I don't. Let people get ****faced and kill themselves. It's called survival of the least idiotic :)

Powered by Cosworth
7th May 2008, 19:29
Ban tobacco, alcohol and cannabis I say.

Actually no I don't. Let people get ****faced and kill themselves. It's called survival of the least idiotic :)

Letting idiots over-do something and kill themselves applys to everything, weather it be driving fast or having a joint while listening to Pink Floyd.

Either way, the upping of the class is stupid. Surely even you can see that?

MrJan
7th May 2008, 19:35
I'm not a big weed smoker so don't really mind either way but I do think that it is silly to differentiate it from alcohol and tobacco which are also bad for people's health.

At least with the class upped people will now know whether it's illegal or not whereas before everyone was a bit unsure.

Powered by Cosworth
7th May 2008, 21:34
I'm not a big weed smoker so don't really mind either way but I do think that it is silly to differentiate it from alcohol and tobacco which are also bad for people's health.

At least with the class upped people will now know whether it's illegal or not whereas before everyone was a bit unsure.

I think the fact you had to get it from a shady part of town let you know it was illegal ;)

BDunnell
7th May 2008, 21:41
What a load of rubbish, a stupid government going against the advice of professionals. I am so outraged.

It's less harmful than Tobacco or Alcohol, the only reason it's going up is because they're not earning any tax from it.

It needs to be legalized so it can be sold from shops and allowed to be home grown, entirely cutting out any 'gateway drug' accusations and health risks. You know what goes in it, that it's not been contaminated. This entirely cuts out the black market and providing funding to criminals.

This isn't like alcohol where rowdy teens cause trouble on streets and in towns. I don't understand how it can be used medicinally legally in one state, yet 'bad for your health' here. The links to mental health have been debated for years. Truth is we'll never know if somebody was going to go off the rails with or without.

I suggest everybody writes to their MPs, if they use it or not, and please don't be brainwashed by the media about this 'skunk' weed which will make you go loopy after one joint. It's simply not true.

Playing devil's advocate slightly here, but if what was actually conclusive evidence as to the adverse mental health effects of cannabis were to be presented, would you accept it? If not, why not?

DonJippo
7th May 2008, 21:59
I must agree with you. This is a natural plant, and I see no reason why it should be illegal. I have said before to many people that the reason it is illegal, is that the governments will not get their tax dollars from it if you grow it at home.

But can't you grow tobacco at home if you wish let alone make your own alcohol :D

COD
7th May 2008, 22:04
I'm not using pot, but I agree that it probably isn't any more harmful to people than alcohol or tobacco are. Funny thing is also this over the world war on cigrattes. Compared to all the stupid, dangerous and violent things people do when drunk, smokers are pretty safe people (specially to other people).

Zico
7th May 2008, 22:17
Cannabis is extremely dangerous to people pre-disposed?? to Schizophrenia, my younger brother is living proof of that and I can tell you.. its not funny!
He smoked it for several years from his teens.. every day.. was too stoned to be bothered getting a job and wasted the prime of his life feeding his addiction.

We 1st became aware that something wasnt quite right up top when he started seeing flocks of UFO's, thought the TV was talking to him and God started giving prophetic messages to him in his dreams, he'd also see ghosts and balls of light or "orbs" flying around. Only strong medication was able to reduce the symptoms but which also had their own side effects

He came to stay with me for a year and it was the most difficult year of my life looking after a family member with this awefull mental illness.

The good news is... he met a girl, she managed to persuade him to get clean and although he is still on medication and his Caniboid psychosis symptoms have all but dissapeared, he has managed to turn his life around is engaged to be married and is back to the old personality we all knew and loved.

I dont want to preach to anyone.. but this is more than proof to me. Please be aware of the possible dangers, Cannabis can ruin peoples lives.

Daniel
7th May 2008, 22:28
Cannabis is extremely dangerous to people pre-disposed?? to Schizophrenia, my younger brother is living proof of that and I can tell you.. its not funny!
He smoked it for several years from his teens.. every day.. was too stoned to be bothered getting a job and wasted the prime of his life feeding his addiction.

We 1st became aware that something wasnt quite right up top when he started seeing flocks of UFO's, thought the TV was talking to him and God started giving prophetic messages to him in his dreams, he'd also see ghosts and balls of light or "orbs" flying around. Only strong medication was able to reduce the symptoms but which also had their own side effects

He came to stay with me for a year and it was the most difficult year of my life looking after a family member with this awefull mental illness.

The good news is... he met a girl, she managed to persuade him to get clean and although he is still on medication and his Caniboid psychosis symptoms have all but dissapeared, he has managed to turn his life around is engaged to be married and is back to the old personality we all knew and loved.

I dont want to preach to anyone.. but this is more than proof to me. Please be aware of the possible dangers, Cannabis can ruin peoples lives.
For some reason people just don't get to hear stories like your brother's one often enough.

Sure some people can have an occasional toke and be fine. But some people take one toke and there's no turning back.

Part of me thinks we should stop people from trying to hurt themselves be it from cannabis, tobacco or alcohol. But part of me thinks if they want to do it then they should do it. But then there are people like Zico and his family who are caught up in the middle of it.....

P.S Cannabis also stays stored in your fatty tissue and can be slowly released over a period of up to 2 months so it's not as "clean" as some people say.

BDunnell
7th May 2008, 22:49
Part of me thinks we should stop people from trying to hurt themselves be it from cannabis, tobacco or alcohol. But part of me thinks if they want to do it then they should do it. But then there are people like Zico and his family who are caught up in the middle of it.....

Which renders this an impossible moral conundrum. Unfortunately, it will never, and should never, be possible to stop the nasty effects happening to some people while others get away with no effects whatsoever. On balance, I am not in favour of banning things on these grounds, but I am also a hypocrite because I am in favour of the smoking ban. I find it almost impossible to be consistent in my own mind on this sort of issue.

maxu05
7th May 2008, 23:29
I think I am in favor of people smoking it for purposes such as pain relief, like cancer patients. Just like alcohol, it should be taken in moderation. People that smoke it every day and are constantly stoned, are just plain stupid. It is a natural medicine, used by many cultures as a medicinal remedy, but, some people abuse it. I smoked it on occasion when I was a teen, but, that was over 20 years ago. I still don't think it should be illegal though.

Zico
7th May 2008, 23:39
I think I am in favor of people smoking it for purposes such as pain relief, like cancer patients. Just like alcohol, it should be taken in moderation. People that smoke it every day and are constantly stoned, are just plain stupid. It is a natural medicine, used by many cultures as a medicinal remedy, but, some people abuse it. I smoked it on occasion when I was a teen, but, that was over 20 years ago. I still don't think it should be illegal though.

On balance with the bigger picture in mind, I agree with you.. I think if the government legalised it, people might be more inclined to listen, to be informed and educated to the dangers rather than dismissing the information as propoganda... as we have just witnessed on this thread.

veeten
8th May 2008, 00:12
and while we are pondering on the effects on the body, consider the issue of 'medical marijuana'.

As an alternative to the drugs prescribed to Radiation, Chemotherapy, and AIDS patients, which often have very nasty side-effects, Cannabis, when used in a smoking method, has been shown to have more tangible results than the Opiate-based treatments.

In the US, the question has always been framed around the need to do more study, but the preliminary results have seemed to come out in favor of medical use of cannabis. The opposition, mostly made up of Law Enforcement types and legislators, have never accepted the results and have constantly referred back to the abuse and illegality quotient of the argument.

more to consider on the topic here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis

millencolin
8th May 2008, 01:32
I've done weed at least a dozen times, but I dont know what the big deal is. It did nothing for me, really. I've had more fun after half a carton of local beer. Thats why I don't smoke it anymore.

The fact though that it's Illegal just acts as encouragement for teens to try it. As we all did, we go through that Rebellious stage, and what better way to rebel than lighting up a joint? It's Illegal but not THAT illegal.

Legalising it may be a smart move because people will open up to education more, but half of the 'fun' factor will be gone if its legal :p : No more running away from the imaginary cops

janvanvurpa
8th May 2008, 01:54
Just remember:
Reality is just a crutch for those that can't handle drugs.

Daniel
8th May 2008, 01:54
Tell you what's rebellious.... not rebelling in a stereotypically rebellious fashion by smoking weed. If that's rebellious then I'm a bigass rebel :hot:

Valve Bounce
8th May 2008, 01:58
For some reason people just don't get to hear stories like your brother's one often enough.

It is very, very difficult for someone, who's family is affected in this way to tell anyone about this. When mixed with alcohol and possibly other drugs, .................................

I wouldn't know where to begin.

Valve Bounce
8th May 2008, 02:03
I think I am in favor of people smoking it for purposes such as pain relief, like cancer patients. .

I can agree with this, and I understand it will ease the pain from glaucoma. I would go as far as to agree that cancer patients should be provided with morphine if and when they need it.

But being just about totally ignorant of drugs myself, I can only see the effect it has had on someone very close to me.
That was why I posted in reply to Daniel about Zico's problems.

Daniel
8th May 2008, 02:54
I can agree with this, and I understand it will ease the pain from glaucoma. I would go as far as to agree that cancer patients should be provided with morphine if and when they need it.

I would definitely advocate the use of medicinal marijuana. It's benefits over conventional painkillers are well documented. All medication has side effects. It just happens that marijuana has less side effects.

leopard
8th May 2008, 08:00
Could the marijuana as tobacco besides its benefit for better character than conventional painkiller, make the user get addicted? this is not good I think. It's hard struggling over something like tobacco addicted.

After all to ban tobacco altogether wouldn't seem nice, I need them sometimes. :D

ShiftingGears
8th May 2008, 08:23
When mixed with alcohol and possibly other drugs

Generally...
Grass before beer in the clear,
Beer before grass, on your arse.

Zico
8th May 2008, 11:58
It is very, very difficult for someone, who's family is affected in this way to tell anyone about this. When mixed with alcohol and possibly other drugs, .................................

I wouldn't know where to begin.

Its good to talk about stuff that bothers you...
My brother wouldnt be mad at me at all for telling anyone the very toned down, tame version of what happened to him, so it wasnt very difficult for me to do just that.
There are many, many more details that I could never freely discuss on here tho..

How would the person react if they learned of you discussing it on a public forum?
If you protected their Identity or think they wouldnt mind... sounds like you'd like to get it off your chest?

Drew
8th May 2008, 13:34
I'm surprised the government hasn't legalised it totally and then put tax on it...

Powered by Cosworth
8th May 2008, 13:50
Playing devil's advocate slightly here, but if what was actually conclusive evidence as to the adverse mental health effects of cannabis were to be presented, would you accept it? If not, why not?

Depends on the conclusive evidences chances. All I know is that i've been doing it for 2 years or so now and I have noticed adverse permanent changes. It's done nothing but good for me. I'd also have to see it happening more often around me. I know many old men who's health is suffereing at the hands of 40 fags a day, yet I know others who have smoked weed regularly since the 70's and been perfectly fine. If the conclusive evidence came along from many different unbiased sources, and I started noticing my toker friends health suffer, then I may accept it and slow it down a bit.

Tell you what's rebellious.... not rebelling in a stereotypically rebellious fashion by smoking weed. If that's rebellious then I'm a bigass rebel :hot:

It's nothing to do with rebellion :rolleyes:
'Lets all rebel by getting really high, listening to some music and eating some cake'. I don't see the cool rebellious factor in that. If I wanted to be a 'rebel' i'd be out doing MDMA and getting completely ****ered every weekend. I prefer to just chill out and relax.

Generally...
Grass before beer in the clear,
Beer before grass, on your arse.

Haha, i've always gone with 'Beer before Bong' :p

As for health concerns like Zicos brother, I can admit it may happen to a few people. Many times the cannabis is just an excuse. Nobody will really knows if these people would develop it later on without the cannabis. It's a grey area.

All I can say is more people smoke it than the general public think, and if everybody who did came out, many would be shunned by the do-gooders. Lose jobs, familys, etc... because the government has taught us that illegal drugs are the devils work, but more harmful legal drugs are perfectly fine.

Daniel
8th May 2008, 14:41
It's nothing to do with rebellion :rolleyes:
'Lets all rebel by getting really high, listening to some music and eating some cake'. I don't see the cool rebellious factor in that. If I wanted to be a 'rebel' i'd be out doing MDMA and getting completely ****ered every weekend. I prefer to just chill out and relax.

I was replying to Millencolin.

Daniel
8th May 2008, 14:52
As for health concerns like Zicos brother, I can admit it may happen to a few people. Many times the cannabis is just an excuse. Nobody will really knows if these people would develop it later on without the cannabis. It's a grey area.

?????? There are well documented cases.....

It's not a grey area. Marijuana induced mental issues are well documented but often denied by people who just want marijuana legalised.

The thing is I've never touched drugs and never will. My drinking experiences include a week away with friends after we finished school where I had a few drinks and stayed rather sober just to shut a few people up and then back in 2004 I had a few drinks one night when I was a bit unhappy.

But now I'm able to have fun without resorting to drink or drugs. If someone wants to take drugs or drink themselves silly then that's their thing. But I think a lot of people need to work on just having fun being themselves rather than needing to get ****faced to have fun.

I don't think Marijuana is evil. I just don't see why people need to take it. I think for medicinal purposes it's great as it's given in small enough dosages to have a good effect on the patient but not in such a high dose so as to give the person negative side effects.

If you're not able to have fun without drugs or drink then I think there are serious issues that you need to look into.

BDunnell
8th May 2008, 15:23

Why will 'nobody really know'? What about medical professionals who have investigated the link between cannabis and mental health?

Zico
8th May 2008, 16:25
As has been said, the link has been well documented, ie- http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevention/streetdrugs.html However there are also many conflicting studies... So if one has no personal experince, naturally they chooses the side that suits them.

All I know from personal experience is that my younger brothers mental health has improved massively since he detoxed, stayed clean and started taking his medication. He had become a very different person over a period of 5-6 years, his neurological connections rewired, non'sensical ramblings, a constant rapping as a self proclaimed "white nigga" and a delusional belief that he was a Rap superstar... His one and only chat-up line with the girls was "Hiya gorgeous, Can you dance?..... Wanna be in my videos?" :D

Now in this last year, with the aid of medication.. still adjusting/rewiring, but definately returing to the old level headed and lucid personality we all wanted back... and its a far greater relief than I could ever put into words.

MrJan
8th May 2008, 19:02
Good to hear that your brother is doing well Zico. My older brother does quite a few drugs and is a regular smoker of cannabis but doesn't seem to be aware of the problems that may occur, as far as he's concerned he's fine now so there won't be any. The main one that scares me off is links to impotency which doesn't sound like much fun.

Daniel, you don't seem to be able to seperate people that occassionally drink or smoke the odd joint from those that are always off their t**s. I enjoy going to the pub with my mates and having 2 or 3 pints every now and then and just talking about whatever springs to mind. Besides enjoying lager I also find that if I order soft drinks then they don't last much more than 5 minutes and I spend a fortune. And in my experience (despite spending lots of time with friends away from the pub) this is one of the best ways to spend time with mates.

Also it is fantastic on a hot summers day to sit in the garden with the barbecue going and enjoying a nice G&T or a cool beer, in those situations soft drinks just don't cut it.

Daniel
8th May 2008, 19:26
Good to hear that your brother is doing well Zico. My older brother does quite a few drugs and is a regular smoker of cannabis but doesn't seem to be aware of the problems that may occur, as far as he's concerned he's fine now so there won't be any. The main one that scares me off is links to impotency which doesn't sound like much fun.

Daniel, you don't seem to be able to seperate people that occassionally drink or smoke the odd joint from those that are always off their t**s. I enjoy going to the pub with my mates and having 2 or 3 pints every now and then and just talking about whatever springs to mind. Besides enjoying lager I also find that if I order soft drinks then they don't last much more than 5 minutes and I spend a fortune. And in my experience (despite spending lots of time with friends away from the pub) this is one of the best ways to spend time with mates.

Also it is fantastic on a hot summers day to sit in the garden with the barbecue going and enjoying a nice G&T or a cool beer, in those situations soft drinks just don't cut it.

I didn't say that. I'm talking about the people who can't go out and have fun without being intoxicated. I've worked with people who live for the weekend, get drunk Friday night and saturday night, spend Sunday recovering and come in on Monday and work till Friday and repeat the pattern and claim how boring the Monday-Friday grind is :)

MrJan
8th May 2008, 19:36
The thing is I've never touched drugs and never will. My drinking experiences include a week away with friends after we finished school where I had a few drinks and stayed rather sober just to shut a few people up and then back in 2004 I had a few drinks one night when I was a bit unhappy.

But now I'm able to have fun without resorting to drink or drugs. If someone wants to take drugs or drink themselves silly then that's their thing. But I think a lot of people need to work on just having fun being themselves rather than needing to get ****faced to have fun.

From this quote I got the impression that you were very anti drink and that the whole idea of alcohol is pointless (I've come across this attitude many times). While I have fun sober I am also one of those people that enjoys a drink (not every weekend and not just because) and I have had some great times and great stories out of being drunk which are much easier to tell people than about that time that I saw Colin McRae for the first time or my trip to the Le Mans Classic. Purely because none of my mates are into motorsport but every single one of them can relate to having stolen some traffic furniture while giggling like a child. It's not big, it's not clever and you have to get rid of the bloody thing without looking like you're nicking it but you can tell the story and everyone knows what you mean because they've been in the same boat.

jso1985
8th May 2008, 20:30
It's a fact that Cannabis can cause mental diseases, plus it's twice more adictive than alcohol or tobacco. so legalizing it might not be the smartest idea.
but it could work basing that most people who smokes weed does it cause it makes them "cooler" to do something ilegal, so if it becomes legal all idiotic stoners would move to something else(problem is they might move to something more harmful)
but best of all if it's legalized my region could become a very rich one :p

GridGirl
8th May 2008, 20:57
I've just been out for tea with my dad and he was just telling me about some two day course he is going on next week which is predominatly focussed on dealing with the mental health issues realting to smoking Canabis.

GridGirl
8th May 2008, 21:01
Didn't mean to post that and I can edit it... If the threads still going I'll post some of the information he get's next week.

Daniel
8th May 2008, 21:53
From this quote I got the impression that you were very anti drink and that the whole idea of alcohol is pointless (I've come across this attitude many times). While I have fun sober I am also one of those people that enjoys a drink (not every weekend and not just because) and I have had some great times and great stories out of being drunk which are much easier to tell people than about that time that I saw Colin McRae for the first time or my trip to the Le Mans Classic. Purely because none of my mates are into motorsport but every single one of them can relate to having stolen some traffic furniture while giggling like a child. It's not big, it's not clever and you have to get rid of the bloody thing without looking like you're nicking it but you can tell the story and everyone knows what you mean because they've been in the same boat.

I guess I am anti-drink to a certain extent if I'm honest. But it's someone elses body so I'm not all that bothered :) I just feel sorry for some people who like I say do it every weekend and being ****faced all weekend is normal for them.