PDA

View Full Version : Which race should we go to?

SkidCarrera
5th May 2008, 23:02
Hi guys and gals...

Just after a bit of advice, as I want to take my 8yr old lad to a Cup race for the first time this year. He's a massive fan, and it's gotta be in the main school hols, so I'm thinking maybe Indy or Fontana or Bristol.

Does anyone have any recomendations from a viewing/spectacle aspect, and are there any tour firms known here who will arrange the whole trip including flights and race tickets?

The benefit of experience would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Skid

Lee Roy
6th May 2008, 03:14
Here's a couple that I have used.

http://www.racefevertours.com/tourinfo.asp

Small, family owned outfit. You'd have to do your own flights.

http://www.gptours.com/

I used these folks to go to the Canadian GP one year. A more POSH outfit. The also do NASCAR.

As far as a recommendation on which track, I've only done a NASCAR race at Bristol. Great experience. The racing isn't the greatest but the atmosphere is unbelievable.

I've been to the USGP at Indy. Just seeing that track is almost worth going. Indy is a real racing town. Great place to visit.

Never been to Fontana.

colinspooky
6th May 2008, 18:06
We went to Lowes this time last year - lots of races during a solid week of track action.
Managed to book everything ourselves - didn't need any outside help. Call an airline, call the hotels, and do it all online or over the phone - easy.
Pigged off I am not going back this year - grrrrrr.

:rolleyes:

Also, lots of shopping and other stuff while not at the track - pretty nice theme park close by too.
And mountains

tstran17_88
6th May 2008, 18:24
If you go to Indy for the cup race, you'll want to be high in turn 1 or 4 to at least see half of the track. The one time I was there, I was in the pit area and couldn't see anything.

Already sold my Bristol tickets for August...so I can't help you out. But I sit in the Kulwicki Terrace...awesome seats.

jeffmr2
7th May 2008, 14:44
I went to the fontana race in feb and of the 6 tracks ive visited this one had most off track entertainment going on like some great bands and motor bike stunt shows.It gets criticised for having boring races but i saw more 3 wide action there than at anywhere else ive been except for daytona.I would recommend going here but ive also been told the heat is a major problem in august.
On 3 occassions ive used actionjackson sports tours,always had great race tickets and its so much less hassle being driven to the track in a coach,sharing a bit of banter with other race fans (something i would imagine you would be quite good at lol).If you decide to use these ask for Jack Stoner he's a really nice helpfull bloke.The night race at lowes with this tour company is worth considering as they also include a trip around a number of the raceshops like hendrick,gibbs,ganassi,roush which was very cool.

tstran17_88
7th May 2008, 18:21
As another option...Michigan has two races coming up in the summer and it's essentially the sister track to Fontana.

harvick#1
7th May 2008, 19:36
if you do go to a race, don't to go any 5 races before Richmond, the racing is disgraceful becaase teams don't want to race the guys who are trying to get into the chase, Bristol's fall race has become an absolute joke now as they are afraid to race

Lee Roy
7th May 2008, 19:51
if you do go to a race, don't to go any 5 races before Richmond, the racing is disgraceful becaase teams don't want to race the guys who are trying to get into the chase, Bristol's fall race has become an absolute joke now as they are afraid to race

Bristol has no fall race.

harvick#1
8th May 2008, 06:15
Bristol has no fall race.

Bristol's second race then, thats run at night :)

Smilieangel489
8th May 2008, 14:57
I have been to Indy and Michigan. I mean I love Indy, but it really sucks that you can't see the whole track. It's always really, really hot. The one time I went to MIS...it was shortened by rain, but it was a great race. I could see almost the whole track and I was even sitting down really low. I saw some 4 wide passes...it was a lot of fun.

SkidCarrera
8th May 2008, 21:40
Some great tips guys, thanks. I think I'll get someone to arrange it all. There's many benefits to be had, like hangin out with other fans and getting advice on the best seats etc.

Will keep you updated when it's booked, and after we've been!

Thanks again.

Skid

djparky
9th May 2008, 15:09
I've only seen NASCAR at Daytona- and would certainly recommend it- especially in February- the weather is (usually) nice and pleasantly warm!

earnhardt8
11th May 2008, 22:09
Some great tips guys, thanks. I think I'll get someone to arrange it all. There's many benefits to be had, like hangin out with other fans and getting advice on the best seats etc.

Thanks again.

Skid

We've taken our kids (who are now 5 & 9 )to Daytona 3 times and Vegas twice and going back to Daytona next Feb.. The 500 usually falls at the end of half-term so they (if we went for a week but we dont!!) would only miss maybe 2 days of school. What about Atlanta that falls at the end of the October half term.

We always book everything ourselves.. ring the track and they are normally really helpful and we've always managed to get decent seats .

We really wanted to go to Charlotte next May but the youngest has to do his SAT's exams so the school wont allow us to take him out for a few days.

Have fun where ever you decide to go

Jackie x

colinspooky
12th May 2008, 12:05

Would rather you didn't if that's okay - I will be overcome with jealousy :D

Rex Monaco
13th May 2008, 17:20
I've been to California, Bristol, Talledega, Daytona, and Charlotte (when it was Charlotte).

For the full authentic redneck NASCAR experience, I'd choose Charlotte. This would also allow you to visit the shops in Mooresville.

For an almost equal authentic redneck experience and the best track viewing, I'd choose Bristol.

For the side trip to Disneyland and the best racing facility, I'd choose California.

For the side trip to Disneyworld and the t-shirt, I'd do Daytona.

Save Talledega for after you've done one of the above.

Lee Roy
13th May 2008, 21:03
I've been to California, Bristol, Talledega, Daytona, and Charlotte (when it was Charlotte).

For the full authentic redneck NASCAR experience, I'd choose Charlotte. This would also allow you to visit the shops in Mooresville.

For an almost equal authentic redneck experience and the best track viewing, I'd choose Bristol.

For the side trip to Disneyland and the best racing facility, I'd choose California.

For the side trip to Disneyworld and the t-shirt, I'd do Daytona.

Save Talledega for after you've done one of the above.

Redneck?????

colinspooky
14th May 2008, 14:49
Redneck?
Can be. When we were at Charlotte, my beloved felt something dig in her back during the START of the cup race.
Turned out the guy behind had enjoyed the beer a little too much, slumped forward to sleep and the peak of his cap dug in her back.
Needless to say many people around us though that hilarious and some took pictures.
Made us Brits feel enormously welcome.
And remember this all happend right at the start - he missed pretty much the whole race. Nice.

Rex Monaco
14th May 2008, 16:58
Redneck?????

When the announcer says, "We don't wan-choo-all throwin' chicken bones on the track like y'all did last year." That's pretty redneck.

And that's after wading past the beer bellied, rebel flag waving drunkards in the camping area. (Bristol is a close second on this.)

tstran17_88
14th May 2008, 18:20
When the announcer says, "We don't wan-choo-all throwin' chicken bones on the track like y'all did last year." That's pretty redneck.

That's why Talladega should and generally is the #1 "redneck" family fun destination.

I've been to Talladega, Bristol, Lowe's, Atlanta, Richmond, Daytona among a slew of tracks in Yankee country and Talladega is hands down the cat’s arse in "redneck" accommodations! :p :

Lee Roy
14th May 2008, 18:25

And that's after wading past the beer bellied, rebel flag waving drunkards in the camping area. (Bristol is a close second on this.)

I guess I should have warned skid if he went to Fontana to watch out for the west coast fruits and nuts, and to watch himself in the men's room.

tstran17_88
14th May 2008, 18:31
I guess I should have warned skid if he went to Fontana to watch out for the west coast fruits and nuts, and to watch himself in the men's room.That being said...I'd assume Infineon would be worse? :laugh:

djparky
14th May 2008, 20:38
oh and don't forget all the Junior fans as well....

Rex Monaco
14th May 2008, 21:08
I guess I should have warned skid if he went to Fontana to watch out for the west coast fruits and nuts, and to watch himself in the men's room.

Yes, the fans at the California Speedway are different than the fans in the south. And the racial diversity or the lack of homophobia aren't the only reasons for it.

But I did place Charlotte and Bristol at the top of my list of tracks, even though I think that California is arguably a much nicer place to visit overall.

Lee Roy
15th May 2008, 12:43
. . . . . the lack of homophobia . . .

I'm sure that's important to you.

Rex Monaco
15th May 2008, 16:53
I'm sure that's important to you.

Do you get to the city much? Or does Piggly Wiggly and the Dollar store have all the luxuries you require?

Lee Roy
15th May 2008, 17:58
Do you get to the city much? Or does Piggly Wiggly and the Dollar store have all the luxuries you require?

Actually, I'm sitting at my desk in the middle of downtown in one of the most important cities in the world. Thanks.

Maybe you shouldn't pop into polite threads, such as this one started out to be before you chimed in, and start using offensive language. Maybe such boorish and childish behaviour is standard on the Indy Car board, but we try to do better here.

Grow up or go away.

Rex Monaco
15th May 2008, 18:34
Maybe you shouldn't pop into polite threads, such as this one started out to be before you chimed in, and start using offensive language.

I used 'redneck' as an enduring term. If you were offended by that term, then that reflects much more on you than on me. And even if you were offended, it in no way justifies your childish insinuation that I am a homosexiual.

Maybe such boorish and childish behaviour is standard on the Indy Car board, but we try to do better here.

No there are no borish and childish people over there searching through peoples posts and calling people homosexuals. You appear to have that behaviour all wrapped up by yourself over here.

Grow up or go away.

Back at you.

Rex Monaco
15th May 2008, 18:43
That's why Talladega should and generally is the #1 "redneck" family fun destination.

I've been to Talladega, Bristol, Lowe's, Atlanta, Richmond, Daytona among a slew of tracks in Yankee country and Talladega is hands down the cat’s arse in "redneck" accommodations! :p :

See, he didn't get offended by the use of redneck and start calling people homosexuals. And I didn't get offended that he used the term Yankee.

SkidCarrera
15th May 2008, 19:51
Jeez guys...I'm beginning to wish I'd never asked, inflaming some barely concealed insecurities as I obviously have!

Anyway, I have got a bunch of great advice, so feel free to flame each other for the rest of the thread if you wish...hehe

Cheers

Skid

oldhippie
16th May 2008, 02:00
ive been to bristol many times and the racing there is always exciting
for the most bang for your buck bristol would be hard to beat

Rex Monaco
16th May 2008, 14:23
Jeez guys...I'm beginning to wish I'd never asked, inflaming some barely concealed insecurities as I obviously have!

Having once lived in the south, I too can get defensive when people speak bad about southerners and their culture.

But redneck is a term that is widely embraced by 'real' rednecks. It's just uppity city dwellers that seem to cringe at it's use.

tstran17_88
20th May 2008, 18:04
Personally, I think it's rather asinine when someone calls me a "Yankee" since I’m from the midwest. That's a term better suited for the folks on the eastern seaboard. :p :