PDA

View Full Version : NHL Mechanic Killed In Indy

dataman1
5th May 2008, 15:39
Per AutoRacing1.com

Newman/Haas/Lanigan mechanic killed in bar brawl We are sad to report that Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing mechanic Davey Evans died Saturday night. He was in Indy, and was out with friends from the team enjoying an evening beer. Apparently, there was a group of young men looking for some trouble, and unfortunately they found Davey. One of them picked a fight with him. He suffered a savage kick to the head, and it killed him. From what we hear, that group was known for starting fights for the fun of it. All three are in custody, and it is being treated as a homicide.

Evans was one of the most experienced crewmen in the IndyCar paddock. He was responsible for taking care of N/H/L's engines. Davey worked for Carl Haas' race teams for almost forty years. His background with Haas’ teams goes back to the original CanAm series in the 1960s.

An autopsy is going to be performed today to determine the exact cause of death. At this time, memorial/funeral plans have not been finalized.

bblocker68
5th May 2008, 15:45
That's horrible. The greatest month for IndyCar and a crewman gets murdered?

Henry Cutts
5th May 2008, 15:54
Its awful and so sickening that some people can think its fun to go around picking fights and kicking people in the head, I hope they get what they deserve!

cartpix
5th May 2008, 17:32
I agree with Henrey. I hope they prosicute to the fullest extent of the law. Not because they killed a team member (well that too) but because the type of person that goes around picking fights and causing trouble, isn't the kind of person we want loose, in society.

Jeff

BobGarage
5th May 2008, 17:51
this is terrible news, thoughts with his family and NHL team.

R.I.P.

CCFan
5th May 2008, 18:13
Extremely tragic. A pack of morons have nothing better to do than to pick a fight that leads to someone's death. They've forfeited their right to live in this society.

F1boat
5th May 2008, 18:24
This is tragic and horrible. Because of such morons I sometimes think that death penalty is a good idea.
RIP Davey Evans.

JuanS
5th May 2008, 19:15
I had the pleasure to meet David and his wife a couple of years ago at a Facel Vega event our company hosted. In his early years as a mechanic, he worked as for the Facel Vega Distributor in England. 3 years ago, while he was out to the Los Angeles area with Newman Hass Racing for the Long Beach Gran Prix, he took time-out to visit with our group of Facel Vega enthusiasts. And just recently, he again met with some of my colleagues for dinner while he was in Los Angeles for the Long Beach GP.

To hear of David's passing, and the circumstances behind it, is very sad. I pray that God helps and blesses his wife and family. And I hope that the idiots responsible for his death are brought swiftly to justice.

This is a terrible loss, not only for Newman-Haas-Lanigan and Indy Racing, but for the automotive community in general.

Mr. Evans will be missed by many.

DBell
5th May 2008, 21:04
What a senseless, tragic thing to have happened. I saw this photo while lurking on another site. The poster identified Davey as the older gentleman behind Cristiano in this picture. The poster said the information that he received was that Davey and his group were leaving the bar when some idiot jumped up on their table and kicked him in the head.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/LadyRaceFan/Long%20Beach%202007/IMG_7931.jpg

dataman1
5th May 2008, 21:34
The poster was correct. The man in the black shirt is Davey. Notice the size of the rest of the team. Most of these guys are still with NHL. They picked the smallest and oldest guy. What a sad state we have come to where our children do this for sport. I hope they meet bubba while in jail. He likes young guys.

Chaparral66
5th May 2008, 22:40
Per AR1

Newman/Haas/Lanigan mechanic killed in bar brawl We are sad to report that Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing mechanic Davey Evans died Saturday night. He was in Indy, and was out with friends from the team enjoying an evening beer. Apparently, there was a group of young men looking for some trouble, and unfortunately they found Davey. One of them picked a fight with him. He suffered a savage kick to the head, and it killed him. From what we hear, that group was known for starting fights for the fun of it. All three are in custody, and it is being treated as a homicide.

Evans was one of the most experienced crewmen in the IndyCar paddock. He was responsible for taking care of N/H/L's engines. Davey worked for Carl Haas' race teams for almost forty years. His background with Haas’ teams goes back to the original CanAm series in the 1960s.

An autopsy is going to be performed today to determine the exact cause of death. At this time, memorial/funeral plans have not been finalized.

Terrible. Just terrible and such a waste. People talk about what happens in the inner city but BS like this happens all over the country, regardless of background and upbringing. Can't go into a bar for a cold brew these days without looking over your shoulder or having a security detail with you. My thoughts go Davey Evans and his family, as well as everyone at N/H/L Racing.

Champcar4life
5th May 2008, 23:05
They just report it on WTHR channel 13, I have a close friend that is a report for WTHR, so I will see what he can find out .

nigelred5
5th May 2008, 23:50
Truly disgusting. My sympathies go out to his family. What great press for Indy leading up to what should be the best attended 500 in years.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/16167174/detail.html?rss=ind&psp=sports

They are reporting he suffered a stroke as a result of the altercation. Thankfully they reportedly have three individuals in custody. I hope every one of them suffers miserably for the rest of their life in prison, however long the Indiana authorities decide that may be.

Vegasguy
6th May 2008, 00:45
More and some different information at another channel.

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=8274287

The Bar was actually a Bar/Restaurant attached to the Hotel they are staying at.

It says the police have questioned the suspect and He could potentially face charges of battery or involuntary manslaughter. It does not say he is in custody.

And it says that he was walking back to the Hotel which would indicate that he had left the bar. How do you kick someone from on top of a table if said victim has already left.

Sure would like to know the real story.

My thoughts and condolences go out to Mr. Evans family.

millencolin
6th May 2008, 01:03
Throw the book at those little ****s! What a shocking story.

My thoughts and condolences are with the Evans family.

weeflyonthewall
6th May 2008, 01:17
Another sad reminder of just how little regard there is for human life anymore. What a shame NHLR, Justin and Graham have this as a prelude to Indy. Prayers and condolences go out to all his friends, co-workers and family.

ChicagocrewIRL
6th May 2008, 04:14
Per AR1

I'm sorry but I could find nothing in the Indianapolis press about this incident.
Maybe it will show up in the tuesday editions but as of this moment there is nothing to confirm this.

If this is true, prayers and best wishes to his family, friends and team.

KennyD
6th May 2008, 04:22
As an ex-Cosworth employee, I've known Davey for many years. He was the man that helped us at Cosworth make things happen for the NHLR team.
I alway knew I didn't have to worry about my engines when Davey was involved!

He'll be greatly missed by all who knew him. A real genuine chap!

I only wish I could have been there to see it happening, and to have stopped it.

Davey was in his late 60's and not a big brawling type of guy. What kind of coward would do that?

God Speed Davey............

NickFalzone
6th May 2008, 04:33
It's often easy to assume that the great teams win because they simply spend more than the next guy. But sometimes it's just that they have the "right" people, not necessarily the most expensive people. I don't know much about Davey, but he sounds like the type of dedicated crew member whose presence stepped up the quality of work of everyone around him. I'm sure he will be sorely missed, both as a human being and what he brought to the team.

ShiftingGears
6th May 2008, 06:37
What pathetic scum. RIP Davey.

Vegasguy
6th May 2008, 08:37
I'm sorry but I could find nothing in the Indianapolis press about this incident.
Maybe it will show up in the tuesday editions but as of this moment there is nothing to confirm this.

If this is true, prayers and best wishes to his family, friends and team.

There is two links in this thread that confirm the story.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports...ind&psp=sports

BobGarage
6th May 2008, 09:17
heres the statement from NHL...

http://www.newman-haas.com/content2008/release_05_05_2008_davey.html

garyshell
6th May 2008, 15:17
There is two links in this thread that confirm the story.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports...ind&psp=sports

The first link gave a 404 error. Here is a corrected version.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/16167174/detail.html

Gary

BenRoethig
6th May 2008, 21:17
It says the police have questioned the suspect and He could potentially face charges of battery or involuntary manslaughter. It does not say he is in custody.

Involuntary? Involuntary is an accidental death in the process of doing something else wrong. This is at the very least second degree murder.

Vegasguy
7th May 2008, 00:01
The first link gave a 404 error. Here is a corrected version.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/16167174/detail.html

Gary

They must kill the old link when they update the story. In case the link dies again, here is the story.

NDIANAPOLIS -- This weekend's death of an IndyCar Series team member who collapsed after a fight at an Indianapolis bar has been ruled a homicide, police said Monday.

Police said David Evans, a 63-year-old British man who was an engine mechanic for Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing, died of a stroke after someone struck him during a fight at Kazablanka bar at 5801 Rockville Road early Sunday.

The county coroner's office determined that stress from the fight induced the stroke and ruled the death a homicide, Indianapolis police said. Police said they are investigating a person who fought with Evans and that the county prosecutor's office will decide whether to file charges.

The team, which includes drivers Justin Wilson and Graham Rahal, intends to compete in this month's Indianapolis 500. Wilson and Rahal passed the Indianapolis 500 rookie orientation program on Sunday, hours after Evans died.

Witnesses told police Evans and other team members were leaving the bar at about 1 a.m. Sunday to diffuse a fight that had started inside. But the argument continued outside, and a man struck Evans in the head, witnesses told police.

Police were called, and officers found Evans unresponsive. Evans was taken to Wishard Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 1:47 a.m., police said.

Brian Lisles, general manager of the Chicago-based team, said Monday that being involved in a fight would have been highly uncharacteristic of Evans.

"One of the things that we grieve about most is not only losing Davey, but that his final moments on this world were totally atypical of how he led his life," Lisles said.

Vegasguy
7th May 2008, 00:07
Involuntary? Involuntary is an accidental death in the process of doing something else wrong. This is at the very least second degree murder.

I agree. It seems that we don't have all the facts available as;
A. the Pieces of $*^+ are not in custody
B. the possible charges are pretty weak

I sure hope they can get more information that would allow them to charge murder.

dataman1
8th May 2008, 14:35
I talked with a few of the team yesterday. While they grieve collectively they are most irritated by the way this event has been characterized by the media. Davey may have had a pint with his meal but that is all. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time walking back to his hotel and was more or less ambushed.

buckwheat-phd
10th May 2008, 02:09
I can certainly understand it, that town is a dump and full of drunken raging little boys whooping and hollering

Every race I've ever attended at Indy I've witnessed a fight, sometimes 2. Most are drunken children males ages 16-20. The track is located in one of the worst ghettos in the nation, and it naturally attracts some of the worst people within 1000s of miles.

I've seen 4 fights on the infield, 2 in the bleachers, 2 waiting in line, 1 leaving and 1 road-rage on the way there. A good 3/4 of the people go there to pick a fight of some sort.

Ever wonder why attendance is 50% of just a few years ago, and why F1 told them to pound sand? It's the clientele. It's the hostile atmosphere. I'll be danged if I'll ever take the kids there again. I've avoided trouble so far so I'm not going to tempt the low life trash that frequents the IND track, then head for further drunken escapades downtown at the hotels.

garyshell
10th May 2008, 04:43
Dear Dr. Buckwheat. Ever hear of the word hyperbole?

"3/4 of the people go there to pick a fight "... "wonder why attendance is 50% of just a few years ago".

Uh huh, sure whatever you say.

For a first post, your off to a great start.

Gary

ZzZzZz
10th May 2008, 07:50

Sounds like the police have a typical Bubba boys-will-be-boys attitude and don't really give a crap.

From what I heard, these guys have a track record of looking for fights. That he was alread knocked down on the ground when he was kicked in the head. They had intent. The whole group is responsible for what they did, not just the guy who delivered that kick. The whole group should be in jail and charged with 2nd degree murder.

AAReagles
11th May 2008, 00:07
... From what I heard, these guys have a track record of looking for fights. That he was alread knocked down on the ground when he was kicked in the head. They had intent. The whole group is responsible for what they did, not just the guy who delivered that kick. The whole group should be in jail and charged with 2nd degree murder.

And people wonder why I support capital punishment.

RIP Mr. Evans

BDunnell
11th May 2008, 00:10
And people wonder why I support capital punishment.

RIP Mr. Evans

Isn't much of a deterrent to the sort of person or people who commit/s such an attack, though, is it?

AAReagles
11th May 2008, 00:45
Perhaps not.

Nevertheless, I for one am not in favor of continuously paying taxes for some low-intelligent life form, who was/is without shadow of a doubt responsible for an (deliberate) atrocious, deadly act.

Such as what seems to be the case in this event so far. In the meantime, we'll just have to wait for the entire details.

gofastandwynn
11th May 2008, 16:19
I can certainly understand it, that town is a dump and full of drunken raging little boys whooping and hollering

Every race I've ever attended at Indy I've witnessed a fight, sometimes 2. Most are drunken children males ages 16-20. The track is located in one of the worst ghettos in the nation, and it naturally attracts some of the worst people within 1000s of miles.

I've seen 4 fights on the infield, 2 in the bleachers, 2 waiting in line, 1 leaving and 1 road-rage on the way there. A good 3/4 of the people go there to pick a fight of some sort.

Ever wonder why attendance is 50% of just a few years ago, and why F1 told them to pound sand? It's the clientele. It's the hostile atmosphere. I'll be danged if I'll ever take the kids there again. I've avoided trouble so far so I'm not going to tempt the low life trash that frequents the IND track, then head for further drunken escapades downtown at the hotels.

Wow, that might be the over statement of the year. I go to Indy all of the time and I have never see a fight around town nor been involved in one, then again I don't hang out with the Pacers. And I have NEVER seen a fight at the Speedway between 2 people. I did see a drunk guy try to fight a garbage can in the Coke lot last year. He went a couple of rounds but the garbage can won out.

Honestly, I would be willing to bet every town in the world with a bar/pub/watering hole with over 3000 people have somebody wanting to pick a fight. From the sound of it, he would probably be charged with man 2.

AAReagles
11th May 2008, 21:00
... and I have never see a fight around town nor been involved in one, then again I don't hang out with the Pacers...
:laugh:

Well said.

weeflyonthewall
17th May 2008, 01:17
. And I have NEVER seen a fight at the Speedway between 2 people.

Like when AJ Foyt gave Arie a hug?

nigelred5
18th May 2008, 03:10
Isn't much of a deterrent to the sort of person or people who commit/s such an attack, though, is it?

Not in places where they rarely carry it out. I see it as justice anyway, not deterrent.

nigelred5
18th May 2008, 03:24
Wow, that might be the over statement of the year. I go to Indy all of the time and I have never see a fight around town nor been involved in one, then again I don't hang out with the Pacers. And I have NEVER seen a fight at the Speedway between 2 people. I did see a drunk guy try to fight a garbage can in the Coke lot last year. He went a couple of rounds but the garbage can won out.

Honestly, I would be willing to bet every town in the world with a bar/pub/watering hole with over 3000 people have somebody wanting to pick a fight. From the sound of it, he would probably be charged with man 2.

Well, I'll have to admit to being someone who has gotten into a fight at Indy. Some drunken, barely able to walk a-hole, deliberately sat his dirty ass cooler on the hood of my fathers 2 week old DTS and then proceeded to stare us down and drug it and all the gravel stuck to it across the hood while we were trying to exit the track from the turn 4 area near the drainage ditch. I hadn't had so much as a single beer the entire weekend. I tried to get out of the car to see how bad he damaged the car and got sucker punched. He ended up with the assistance of my right fist going over the railings and landing in the drainage culvert. It cost $2800 dollars to repair and re-paint the fenders and hood of a two week old car because some drunken ass didn't want to obey the traffic control and allow the cars to cross the narrow bridge before him. I could give a rat's-a$$ what his hospital bill was, but I'm sure he ended up with one. In all of my other visits, I'd always found Indy a fairly decent place otherwise, but I haven't been back since.

dataman1
4th June 2008, 17:35
Update: An arrest has been made and you can see they guy's photo.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080604/NEWS02/806040422

gloomyDAY
5th June 2008, 04:03
Update: An arrest has been made and you can see they guy's photo.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080604/NEWS02/806040422
You have to love that picture. :mad:

5th June 2008, 06:01
It's really sad for such a professional. Those gang guys are not aware of the people and their skill. What a useless guys.