PDA

View Full Version : Safety car

fabricator/61
4th May 2008, 23:04
When I first started in motorsport in 1972 there was no such thing as a safety car. Today though as soon as a car falls of the circuit out comes the s/c,in days of old it was down to the flag marshalls to do their job and incident marshalls to remove the stricken car. I realise that safety is paramount but I can't help feeling that Tom Onslow Cole would have walked the first race without the intervention of the s/c.

Martin-MC
6th May 2008, 21:13
Have to agree, I havent been to a BTCC race for years but went to Donington this weekend. Every 10 mins in every race it was safety car after safety car. Ok safety is paramount but surely places like the old hairpin and redgate which are gravel trap hotspots would benifit from a quicker method of rescue than a tractor and strap?

Allyc85
6th May 2008, 21:25
The problem is these days drivers very rarely seem to back off for yellow flags, even if there is a couple cars in pieces beside the track. With situations like that the SC has to come out as its waay to dangerous for marshalls to be out there with cars racing.

wedge
6th May 2008, 22:05
Ok safety is paramount but surely places like the old hairpin and redgate which are gravel trap hotspots would benifit from a quicker method of rescue than a tractor and strap?

No, not unless we have asphalt carparks, as you would've witnessed time in time out the cars are beached in the gravel and there's no alternative.