PDA

View Full Version : ITV commentary.

BTCC Fan#1
4th May 2008, 15:11
Am I the only one who thinks the ITV4 commentary for the BTCC races has been pretty bad today?

Where is Ben Edwards? I'm not a fan of the new guy who didn't appear to know that Race 1 had finished when Plato took the chequered flag.. Hoping I haven't missed something and Ben will be back for the next meeting. Even the usually pretty on-the-ball Tim Harvey seems a bit lacklustre today, missing several incidents and making some pretty basic mistakes with who's-who.

BDunnell
4th May 2008, 15:14
I agree — the commentary has been pretty awful. Both John Hindhaugh (whose excitement begins to pall after a bit, in my view) and Tim Harvey have missed a lot of incidents and got very confused between different drivers in the same team.

Ben Edwards is away commentating on A1 GP. He is missed on the BTCC coverage, at least by me.

AndySpeed
4th May 2008, 15:17
I think John Hindhaugh is doing a good job, both commentators have hesitated a little bit at times when they shouldn't.

Also I find it a little annoying when the commentators cannot identify the cars by the coloured sunstrips. It's not that hard, and even I can instatly tell who's who from just a few minutes looking at some photos or spotters guides!

BDunnell
4th May 2008, 15:19
And when the numbers on the Jordans' cars are visible, they ought not to get them confused.

VkmSpouge
4th May 2008, 15:40
I like John Hindhaugh's commentary, it's nice and exciting. I do prefer Ben Edwards though.

SEATFreak
4th May 2008, 16:05
Being a Geordie myself, John's voice is somwhat comforting in it's familiarity. I am starting to not miss Ben.

Dave B
4th May 2008, 16:32
I'm finding Ted Kravitz the weakest link: he just comes over as bored. Still, at least he treated the stupid ping-pong balls with the contempt they deserve.

AndySpeed
4th May 2008, 16:41
Extremely frustrating that no one has noticed Shedden losing the lead!

BDunnell
4th May 2008, 17:03
I'm finding Ted Kravitz the weakest link: he just comes over as bored.

I agree. When there's no clashing F1, Steve Rider ought to be brought in again.

Mark
4th May 2008, 17:44
I did think it was rather odd that Plato taking the flag went without mention and instead they chose to concentrate on those further down the order.

ready2rock
4th May 2008, 18:25
Extremely frustrating that no one has noticed Shedden losing the lead!

Agreed. I thought he was still leading.
I also can't understand why they can't remember car colours in team e.g. the Jordans they got mixed up as well.
I thought something was missing today then realised Ben was away.
Its disappointing as some commentators that follow club champs can remember all sorts of liveries, yet these guys who even have colour programs including pictures fail to do so.
Hope commentary was better at the circuit!

reidy_fan
4th May 2008, 19:39
I admit I prefer Hindy but get shot of Ted and that suit. you dont wear a suit to the racing it is jeans and fleece :-) or orange ovies

Eurotech
5th May 2008, 12:34
I was at Donington and the Commentary was much better from Ian Titchmarsh and the others at Radio ToCA but when I saw the video I had recorded I was disapointed because the Commentary was really bad and i see what you mean by Teds suit, its pointless and he should change it for what Tim and Ben normally wear.

AndySpeed
5th May 2008, 12:40
Aside from the odd missed incident, Hindhaugh and Harvey were a good combination and I wouldn't complain if they worked together on the BTCC again.

Any commentator in any series is bound to miss things (thats why there's two) so after a couple of meetings lets not be too harsh.

Ben Edwards will be back for Thruxton though.

wedge
5th May 2008, 15:26
I'm finding Ted Kravitz the weakest link: he just comes over as bored. Still, at least he treated the stupid ping-pong balls with the contempt they deserve.

Strange

He did an excellent job for the FIA GTs at Silverstone.

Funks
5th May 2008, 18:43
Hindy is excellent, as is Ben. It could be far worse. Just think, a certain F1 commentator is going to be looking for a job at the end of this season...

The other thing I would say is, try doing it yourself - watch a race live on TV and see if you can talk informatively about it, without making mistakes and doing so for 20 minutes or so! JH speaks for hours at a time in endurance racing.

mattie007
5th May 2008, 18:47
Ted Kravitz, you are the weakest link, GOODBYE!

I agree about Steve Rider though. He is passionate, professional and doesn't make mistakes.

Mp3 Astra
5th May 2008, 21:03
I think JH is improving, for sure. Some mistakes here and there (okay, A LOT) but it didn't impact my viewing *too* much. Although missing Shedden going off was a sin, although that wasn't helped by the director never showing a replay of the incident. I do miss Ben, though.

woody2goody
12th May 2008, 18:49
I quite like JH myself. He's really enthusiastic and knows what he's talking about. About not knowing which cars are which, knowing where they are on the grid usually helps through the race, as I rarely pay attention to the colours until I know for sure who's car I'm looking at.

Ben Edwards is good, and was missed at first.

Ted Kravitz is really good in the F1 when he can just improvise his speech due to what he can see in the pit lane, but doing pieces to camera he wasn't very good this time IMO.

He should be kept for the Pit Lane by BBC next year for F1.