PDA

View Full Version : Imola

ShiftingGears
4th May 2008, 01:23
Reckon it's gonna make a return to the calendar anytime soon? I can't see the owners upgrading it merely for the WTCC. It's a great circuit.

N. Jones
4th May 2008, 02:03
I would think so. Bernie insisted that they upgrade the pit lane and they owners wanted to make a long start/finish straight that would hopefully give the track at least one bone fide overtaking spot.

ShiftingGears
4th May 2008, 03:26
I would think so. Bernie insisted that they upgrade the pit lane and they owners wanted to make a long start/finish straight that would hopefully give the track at least one bone fide overtaking spot.

I think its fine as it is. If they wanted more overtaking they should get rid of Variante Bassa, and put safer barriers in Tamburello so they can run it without the chicane. The angle is not severe like where Heikki went off in Spain so I don't see why a SAFER barrier isn't feasible. Because lets face it, noone likes Imola because its got long straights and tight boring hairpins. They like Imola because its...Imola.

F1boat
4th May 2008, 07:23
Although I loved the races in Imola in 2005 and 2006.

Tazio
4th May 2008, 07:30
Imola :up:

millencolin
4th May 2008, 13:08
Yes, Bring back Imola! Sure, it wasn't a track that provided the most overtaking, but it was a proper track. It felt right on the f1 calendar.

wedge
4th May 2008, 13:30
noone likes Imola because its got long straights and tight boring hairpins. They like Imola because its...Imola.

Errrr.... that was why the old Imola was regarded as a great and fearsome track. They used to run skinny wings and you could slipstream on the frontstretch and all the way up into Tosa.

Acqua Minarale used to be a fearsome chicane though quite rightly because the drivers were literally aiming there cars into the barrier ahead!

Today you could probably run SAFER barriers at Tamburello.

The new Imola is a travesty and F1 should've never raced there ever again IMHO, but they do because its Ferrari's home turf. You can hardly overtake at Imola - we already have Hungary and Monaco and that is enough.

Nikki Katz
4th May 2008, 13:44
I can't say that I'm overly fussed. I rather keep San Marino off the calendar than lose Britain and France.

Sleeper
4th May 2008, 20:02
I think removing the last chicane was a good idea and could have made the racing better, but clearly Bernie likes the money these third world countries want to throw at him so I dont think we will see the track again.

call_me_andrew
4th May 2008, 20:44
Errrr.... that was why the old Imola was regarded as a great and fearsome track. They used to run skinny wings and you could slipstream on the frontstretch and all the way up into Tosa.

Acqua Minarale used to be a fearsome chicane though quite rightly because the drivers were literally aiming there cars into the barrier ahead!

Today you could probably run SAFER barriers at Tamburello.

The new Imola is a travesty and F1 should've never raced there ever again IMHO, but they do because its Ferrari's home turf. You can hardly overtake at Imola - we already have Hungary and Monaco and that is enough.

For once Wedge, I agree with you.

Roamy
5th May 2008, 15:30
Great track
Great place
Wonderful atmosphere
plus for the gucci you can stay in Cervia which is on the coast about
30 miles away.

JSH
5th May 2008, 15:37
Only way Imola is coming back is if Italy, or San Marino, become third world countries where the government is willing to pay money to Bernie instead of fixing it's internal problems.

Garry Walker
5th May 2008, 17:56
Only way Imola is coming back is if Italy, or San Marino, become third world countries
With a few more years of EU actions, that might just happen.

BDunnell
5th May 2008, 17:59
With a few more years of EU actions, that might just happen.

Italy is perfectly capable of making that happen on its own, without any help from the EU!

Garry Walker
5th May 2008, 18:05
Italy is perfectly capable of making that happen on its own, without any help from the EU!

EUs "contribution" to that should never be overlooked.

BDunnell
5th May 2008, 18:11
EUs "contribution" to that should never be overlooked.

But one can't blame the EU for Italy's complete lack of governmental stability, the enormous overmanning of certain Italian state-owned enterprises that are propped up with vast amounts of government money in contravention of state aid regulations, the inefficiency of many of those enterprises, etc, etc, etc.

truefan72
5th May 2008, 18:15
I think Imola will be back next year or by 2010.

the modifications they are making are very exciting. Especially removing Variante Bassa to make a long sweeping straight all the way down to Tamburello. Can't wait!

F1boat
5th May 2008, 18:18
I think that it is not nice to insult other countries in the forum. About the track, it is a great place and full with great memories. Should be back in F-1.

BDunnell
5th May 2008, 18:20
I think that it is not nice to insult other countries in the forum.

For my part, I wasn't trying to be insulting — merely pointing out some facts about the dire state of Italian politics, and the adverse contribution this has made to the country's success, or the positive contribution it has made to its lack of it.

F1boat
5th May 2008, 18:22
I dunno, to me stating that it is close to a 3rd world country is unkind. Sorry if I reacted too quickly.
BTW, Italian politics are much better than our Bulgarian ones ;)

BDunnell
5th May 2008, 18:24
I dunno, to me stating that it is close to a 3rd world country is unkind. Sorry if I reacted too quickly.

No problem!

N. Jones
5th May 2008, 21:36
I think its fine as it is. If they wanted more overtaking they should get rid of Variante Bassa, and put safer barriers in Tamburello so they can run it without the chicane. The angle is not severe like where Heikki went off in Spain so I don't see why a SAFER barrier isn't feasible. Because lets face it, noone likes Imola because its got long straights and tight boring hairpins. They like Imola because its...Imola.

According wikipedia there is to be a straight from Rivazza 2 all the way to the first Tambuello chicane. The new space will be used to create an updated pit lane (as I remember the old pitlane was very short and cramped). I believe this work is done but Bernie has turned his back on the track. (I wish I had links for all of this stuff but I don't :( ) I would love to see it return as well butI don't think that will ever happen.

N. Jones
5th May 2008, 21:38
I can't say that I'm overly fussed. I rather keep San Marino off the calendar than lose Britain and France.

Ooh...I would like to lose Magny Cours ASAP! :)

wedge
5th May 2008, 23:01
According wikipedia there is to be a straight from Rivazza 2 all the way to the first Tambuello chicane. The new space will be used to create an updated pit lane (as I remember the old pitlane was very short and cramped). I believe this work is done but Bernie has turned his back on the track. (I wish I had links for all of this stuff but I don't :( ) I would love to see it return as well butI don't think that will ever happen.

Tamburello needs to be re-profiled. It's a point and squirt, hi-speed chicane and needs to have a longer braking zone, IMO.

N. Jones
6th May 2008, 00:55
I can agree with that. With the improvements in safety over the years I think it could be profiled back to its original design.

6th May 2008, 16:46
Tamburello needs to be re-profiled.

Come and have a go if you think your hard enough!

Careful, or I'll report you for a personal attack.

Sleeper
6th May 2008, 19:18
I believe the work to remove the Variante Bassa and replace the pit complex has been completed, I remember seeing a pic of the work going on in Autosport over a year ago. Its not coming back until F1 stops hunting for every doller.

ShiftingGears
7th May 2008, 03:50

And I long for that to be the case once more. It's time to undo that kneejerk chicane and put in a SAFER barrier.

However, usually any reprofiling of a corner in F1 means that the corner is going to become less challenging in the name of safety, or passing opportunities.

Noone likes boring races where noone can pass each other, but that is an inherent problem in the car design and regulations, and not one that should be resolved by creating circuits like Bahrain. Besides, I like having variation in the circuits that F1 goes to. Imola was one of the most beautiful circuits on the calendar.

ArrowsFA1
7th May 2008, 08:38
Noone likes boring races where noone can pass each other, but that is an inherent problem in the car design and regulations, and not one that should be resolved by creating circuits like Bahrain. Besides, I like having variation in the circuits that F1 goes to. Imola was one of the most beautiful circuits on the calendar.
:up:

Tazio
7th May 2008, 15:26
:up: :up:

wedge
7th May 2008, 22:16
And I long for that to be the case once more. It's time to undo that kneejerk chicane and put in a SAFER barrier.

However, usually any reprofiling of a corner in F1 means that the corner is going to become less challenging in the name of safety, or passing opportunities.

Can't disagree with you there except I think Monaco and Hungary are 2 un-passable tracks too many and likewise I know you think two Tilke-dromes is 2 too many.

So as ever, we will continue to agree to disagree!

woody2goody
9th May 2008, 02:25
It's a shame that in the current F1 climate, that some of the best tracks, like Imola, Magny-Cours and Silverstone, are also crap to overtake on!

I think that removing the chicane at Tamburello and putting in a tarmac runoff area would be good. With the new long straight it would create a good overtaking place and even though Senna and Ratzenberger died there, if they hadn't, it would still be the same and no-one would have ever questioned Tamburello's safety.

Even though the second chicane at Villeneuve is a nice corner, a really long straight would be a great shakeup for the circuit. Even though I like Silverstone as it is, it would be great if they made it super-fast like it used to be again. I've put in a diagram of practical changes I would make.

Give me your feedback please guys.

woody2goody
9th May 2008, 02:31
Becketts is removed for overtaking purposes, plus it is more like the original layout. Stowe is wider which leads into a tighter corner, a hairpin, at Vale.

Club is similar, but Abbey is back to being a fast turn, which will create overtaking because it seems that drivers have a chance coming out of club but can't make it stick into Abbey. So with the kink leading to bridge, it makes Bridge an overtaking opportunity, and after that, Priory is gone and Brooklands is now a hairpin which will surely create passing moves.

Luffield is wider and slightly faster as a result but is a shorter and nicer corner than the previous one.

woody2goody
9th May 2008, 02:40
Also for Imola, but it's pretty much the changes discussed already, with the Variante Alta being removed, despite it's challenge.

My only concern would be that the lap would be too short, possibly under a minute, thus the race would be short and barely last over an hour with 63 laps.

Silverstone will still be OK in this regard though.

ShiftingGears
9th May 2008, 06:56
Also for Imola, but it's pretty much the changes discussed already, with the Variante Alta being removed, despite it's challenge.

My only concern would be that the lap would be too short, possibly under a minute, thus the race would be short and barely last over an hour with 63 laps.

Silverstone will still be OK in this regard though.

What you have with Imola there is the original circuit. Fast, flowing, and challenging. I don't like your Silverstone idea though. Also, my problem with tarmac runoff is that cars can generally just drive straight back on, like Montoya did at Turkeys Turn 8 in 2005. I'm not a big fan of that.

http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/Italy/Imola%201954.gif

woody2goody
9th May 2008, 09:17
What don't you like about my version? It's fun designing circuits though :)

I didn't know Imola used to be like that. I assumed Variante Alta and Aque Minerale chicanes were original.

ShiftingGears
11th May 2008, 03:25
What don't you like about my version?

I think the Maggots/Becketts Esses are fine as is. IMO Club should just be one sweeping right-hander. I wouldn't know how that would read on a safety rating. But the idea of removing the Abbey chicane would make Bridge a great drivers corner.

It's fun designing circuits though :)

I agree.

I didn't know Imola used to be like that. I assumed Variante Alta and Aque Minerale chicanes were original.

The Variante Alta and Bassa chicanes were there when it first became a championship F1 race in '80 - Minerale chicane was added in '81.

woody2goody
11th May 2008, 05:06
The new Acque Minerale is a super corner though. It's a really nice flowing corner which if you get right can get you a passing chance into the Alta. The only thing removing Tamburello would affect would be the track's rhythm which is really nice now.

Removing Abbey could revitalise Silverstone. It could make Bridge the best corner in F1, especially if there was a legit overtaking opportunity straight after, which is why I've put a hairpin in there instead of Priory.

I drove the Silverstone 1979 circuit on GTR2 and it makes for super racing. No stadium section, Stowe and Club are flat-out even in a 1988 car, and you can slipstream around pretty much the whole track.

I'm starting to think I can do better than Hermann Tilke lol, even though his circuits are great.