PDA

View Full Version : Championship significance

AndySpeed
3rd May 2008, 11:55
Aside from the Drivers Championship, which I'm sure most people consider the most important of the 5 championships the BTCC runs, which do you consider the most important or interesting to follow?

We've got the drivers, manufacturers, teams, independent drivers and independent teams.

With the manufacturers championship only having two participants its almost something that most fans would glance over. An example is that if one Vauxhall and one SEAT finish a race, in 3rd and 7th respectively, then the Vauxhall still get points for first and SEAT for second, irrespective of the cars in between.

The teams championship is probably the second most important as everyone on the grid is represented without any unusual scoring systems like the manufacturers title.

I don't know how much people follow the independents or independent teams anymore?

And one last thing, Team Dynamics are not represented in either the Independent Drivers, Independent Teams or even Manufacturers Championships. I'm aware of the reasons but I wondered if the team would object to this loss of potential prize money and coverage? As the only team entered in just two championships that is.

BDunnell
3rd May 2008, 13:25
The one I find most interesting to follow is definitely the independent drivers' championship. In truth, any sort of drivers' title is more interesting to me than those for manufacturers or teams.

Mp3 Astra
3rd May 2008, 13:35
I find the Independants' championship the most interesting, too, unless an independant is leading the overall championship standings then it's pretty pointless - although it isn't always the case that the independant and overall championship standings are in the same order, is it?

AndySpeed
3rd May 2008, 13:39
I find the Independants' championship the most interesting, too, unless an independant is leading the overall championship standings then it's pretty pointless - although it isn't always the case that the independant and overall championship standings are in the same order, is it?

Definitely not, I remember in 1998 Matt Neal in the TD Nissan Primera always seemed to be much stronger than his independent rivals.

But as a result of more DNF's he finished 3rd in the Independent drivers championship behind Tommy Rustad and Rob Gravett, yet in the overall drivers championship he was 13th whilst they were 16th and 18th!

VkmSpouge
3rd May 2008, 17:38
The Independents' Drivers' Championship was my second favoured championship after the Drivers' Championship. However nowadays I find the Teams' Championship slightly more significant.

As Andy Speed said this isn't the case. The Independents' Drivers' Championship always seems to reward consistency over pace.

tyreman2
3rd May 2008, 19:50
Aside from the Drivers Championship, which I'm sure most people consider the most important of the 5 championships the BTCC runs, which do you consider the most important or interesting to follow?

We've got the drivers, manufacturers, teams, independent drivers and independent teams.

With the manufacturers championship only having two participants its almost something that most fans would glance over. An example is that if one Vauxhall and one SEAT finish a race, in 3rd and 7th respectively, then the Vauxhall still get points for first and SEAT for second, irrespective of the cars in between.

The teams championship is probably the second most important as everyone on the grid is represented without any unusual scoring systems like the manufacturers title.

I don't know how much people follow the independents or independent teams anymore?

And one last thing, Team Dynamics are not represented in either the Independent Drivers, Independent Teams or even Manufacturers Championships. I'm aware of the reasons but I wondered if the team would object to this loss of potential prize money and coverage? As the only team entered in just two championships that is.

It's all about the drivers for me overall and independent