PDA

View Full Version : Kubica would 'like to try' rallying

ShiftingGears
3rd May 2008, 00:14
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/67061

I'd like to see it happening at some point, hopefully with Raikkonen as well :up:

Also this quote is pretty true...

"I like the system of rallying and once you find a good place, you go there and feel closer to the rally. Sometimes in F1 the fans are too far away from what is happening on the track."

Placid
3rd May 2008, 03:47
"Rubik's" F1 career has just getting started. For him going to rallying, I would not bother.

gloomyDAY
3rd May 2008, 06:01
I'd love to see more talented drivers in the WRC. Kimi and Robert would be amazing additions, but the current state of the WRC is atrocious. There is barely any exposure in rallying compared to F1. Fix the system and then entice the drivers by having a credible championship.

However, I do agree with Robert over the 'wholesome' feel of rallying. The adrenaline rush of being centimeters away from a sliding car is difficult to attain from circuit racing. Trekking across a field and making friends (beer buddies) along the way is also what makes the WRC unique.

Tazio
3rd May 2008, 07:07
As long as he has an F1 contract with BMW Sauber it will not happen!

pino
3rd May 2008, 07:23
Robert is a potential World Champ title-winner, he should stick to F1 ;)

Foggy
3rd May 2008, 07:26
Nothing wrong with Kubica wanting to upgrade after he masters F1 :laugh:

ShiftingGears
3rd May 2008, 07:38

Course not. But it would be great to see more talented drivers like Kimi and Kubica in WRC somewhere down the track.

Tazio
3rd May 2008, 07:47
Course not. But it would be great to see more talented drivers like Kimi and Kubica in WRC somewhere down the track. :up: It could be a very long wait for RK ;)

F1boat
3rd May 2008, 08:31
Nothing wrong with Kubica wanting to upgrade after he masters F1 :laugh:

;)

Ranger
3rd May 2008, 08:55
Looks like he's having fun! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnlOXwHOea0

Tazio
3rd May 2008, 09:18
Looks like he's having fun! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnlOXwHOea0

He's had practice! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGF3uVQ_9KA&NR=1

BDunnell
3rd May 2008, 09:55
There's nothing new in current F1 drivers having a go in rallying, and I'd love to see more of it.

seppefan
3rd May 2008, 17:46
There's nothing new in current F1 drivers having a go in rallying, and I'd love to see more of it.

I agree. It would be great to see the Formula one drivers in other classes. Rally or whatever. Lewis hamilton said last week he would love to drive the new GP2 machine as it looks so good. One of the good things about A1GP is the drivers are from all different series and not on the usual ladder so you get Bruno vs Wickens etc or Montagny etc. Great leveller and great for the fans. Bring it on and how about the odd saloon race.

Daniel
4th May 2008, 20:59

Only problem is the ignorant people in the forum who would call them girls and so on and say "Kubica would piss himself if he had to do a WRC rally in the old days!" and so on.

jso1985
5th May 2008, 01:08
Only problem is the ignorant people in the forum who would call them girls and so on and say "Kubica would piss himself if he had to do a WRC rally in the old days!" and so on.

don't forget that taking conclussions from that people, as Kubica was born after 1970, his genes don't allow him to drive "like a real man".

Dzeidzei
5th May 2008, 12:29
Course not. But it would be great to see more talented drivers like Kimi and Kubica in WRC somewhere down the track.

I dont get this. Do you mean more talented drivers of the F1 grid? More talent in wrc?

Ayrton Senna had the pleasure of sitting through some rally stages (cant remember for sure, but think it was with Juha Kankkunen driving) and he said after the ride that these rally guys are crazy.

I think you can learn how to drive f1 with your Playstation, but theres no way in hell you´ll learn how to race in wrc.

BDunnell
5th May 2008, 13:02

Or those who would say that someone like Kubica being given a WRC drive for one event is a waste of a seat that could go to some talented youngster...

In fact, I reckon doing a WRC event in 'the old days' was an easier proposition for a circuit racer than doing one now would be. Today, the need to be flat out almost all the time on these short sprint-style events would surely make it far harder to achieve anything like a comparable pace without much prior rallying experience. When he did the RAC in 1990, Derek Warwick set a very fair pace and was often faster than some pretty well-known rallying names, such as Alex Fiorio and Robert Droogmans — in fact, Warwick was up to 12th when he retired. Those drivers had about as much British forest experience as Warwick did!

BDunnell
5th May 2008, 13:05
I dont get this. Do you mean more talented drivers of the F1 grid? More talent in wrc?

I think you can learn how to drive f1 with your Playstation, but theres no way in hell you´ll learn how to race in wrc.

Why does this sort of discussion turn into an argument as to whether F1 racers or rally drivers are better? It's an unanswerable and, in my opinion, pointless question.

Ayrton Senna had the pleasure of sitting through some rally stages (cant remember for sure, but think it was with Juha Kankkunen driving) and he said after the ride that these rally guys are crazy.

Whether he subsequently had a ride with someone like Kankkunen, I don't know, but Senna certainly had a go with Welsh driver Phil Collins for a magazine article in about 1985.

janneppi
5th May 2008, 13:17

I think it was Grönholm who gave a ride to another rallydriver in his test stage few years back, the poor passanger came out of the car as white a s sheet of paper.
It's easy to scare someone is a WRC car, just put the car well sideways and the guy with no control over it will not like it. ;)

Daniel
5th May 2008, 13:28
I think it was Grönholm who gave a ride to another rallydriver in his test stage few years back, the poor passanger came out of the car as white a s sheet of paper.
It's easy to scare someone is a WRC car, just put the car well sideways and the guy with no control over it will not like it. ;)
I'm not a great passenger on the road. Forever second guessing what the driver is/isn't doing.

Garry Walker
5th May 2008, 18:02

These people would also be the kind of people one finds abusing social security.

Anyone who has ever done rallying or has any idea about it, would never call anyone properly doing it a "girl."

Dzeidzei
7th May 2008, 18:43
Why does this sort of discussion turn into an argument as to whether F1 racers or rally drivers are better? It's an unanswerable and, in my opinion, pointless question.

I didnt argue that rally drivers would be better, but the post I replied to seemed to suggest that wrc drivers are not very talented. I choose to disagree with that.

And yes, maybe it was Gronholm giving Senna a ride. I dunno, there are so many Finnish wrc champions that its easy to make a mistake.

Josti
7th May 2008, 22:20
Whether he subsequently had a ride with someone like Kankkunen, I don't know, but Senna certainly had a go with Welsh driver Phil Collins for a magazine article in about 1985.

Article from November 1986. ;)

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7703/ccc1986mu9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BDunnell
7th May 2008, 22:52
Great find, Josti.

If I remember correctly, the day in Wales was organised by the late journalist Russell Bulgin.

Daniel
7th May 2008, 22:53
Great find, Josti.

If I remember correctly, the day in Wales was organised by the late journalist Russell Bulgin.
Great journalist :up:

AndyRAC
8th May 2008, 09:07
Great journalist :up:

Yeah, great article, great journalist and great driver; both sadly missed!!

A.F.F.
12th May 2008, 15:39
This is a cross post to F1 so if you gus have already talked about his, sorry about the inconvenience.

I just read about Kubica's passion, the greatest motorsport in which he has a deepest respect, hence rallying :) I like this guy's attitude. Apparently his dream vacation would be a cottage by a lake from Finland, a WRC car and an access to 50 kms worth of special stage near the cottage :D

He also follows rallying but he won't accept the VIPs. He want's to take everything out of it enjoy they way it has to be, at the stages on the ditch with other true fans. :up:

All heil Robert. You just rised in my ranking way high :D

A.F.F.
12th May 2008, 15:42
This is a cross post to F1 so if you gus have already talked about his, sorry about the inconvenience.

I just read about Kubica's passion, the greatest motorsport in which he has a deepest respect, hence rallying :) I like this guy's attitude. Apparently his dream vacation would be a cottage by a lake from Finland, a WRC car and an access to 50 kms worth of special stage near the cottage :D

He also follows rallying but he won't accept the VIPs. He want's to take everything out of it enjoy they way it has to be, at the stages on the ditch with other true fans. :up:

GigiGalliNo1
12th May 2008, 16:15
Well if he's got the money then why not?! If he is passionate and would like to compete, then more then happy to see another drive! Heck i think a few guys here in the forum need someone to bit about! Haha

Mirek
12th May 2008, 17:32
Kubica did some rally in the past with evo 6 I think. And he is regular spectator in many rally events. For example last year he was in one Czech rallysprint as a common spectator, just a guy as many others around the track. Only few people noticed who was it ;)

Woodeye
12th May 2008, 19:48
:) And in other interview he said that he will start rallying after his F1 career. He's very focused on what he is doing right now. All the other things like partying are left aside. I know that it's really hard so that's why I really respect this guy.

ITC55
12th May 2008, 22:27

Me too A.F.F., i think me and Robert have something in common, Finland and a WRC car......

Valve Bounce
13th May 2008, 01:41
I would have given anything to have such conditions, provided there is snow and ice on the gravel roads, of course.

Many, many years ago, I was in charge of snow clearing at Island Bend during the construction of the tunnel to Geehi and Lake Eucumbene and Jindabyne pumping station.

There I had opportunities to learn how to drive on snow and ice. Later I was transferred to Khancoban and had the opportunity to drive home to Island Bend via Schlink's Pass. (a locked gated gravel transmission line access road in the alpine highlands)

What a wonderful experience driving on these roads. Driving under such conditions gives an adrenelin rush like you wouldn't believe. If I had the money, I would have continued to compete in rallies. Unfortunately, I didn't have money to burn and a family home was my priority.

gloomyDAY
13th May 2008, 03:12
I would have given anything to have such conditions, provided there is snow and ice on the gravel roads, of course.

Many, many years ago, I was in charge of snow clearing at Island Bend during the construction of the tunnel to Geehi and Lake Eucumbene and Jindabyne pumping station.

There I had opportunities to learn how to drive on snow and ice. Later I was transferred to Khancoban and had the opportunity to drive home to Island Bend via Schlink's Pass. (a locked gated gravel transmission line access road in the alpine highlands)

What a wonderful experience driving on these roads. Driving under such conditions gives an adrenelin rush like you wouldn't believe. If I had the money, I would have continued to compete in rallies. Unfortunately, I didn't have money to burn and a family home was my priority.Sell your kids.

Kudos to Kubica!

woody2goody
13th May 2008, 05:22
I heard about him standing with the spectators, and it shows what a good guy he is.

This is why I couldn't see him fitting in at Ferrari like some are saying.

Garry Walker
13th May 2008, 08:32
Kubica is fast becoming one of my favourites. Dare I say, the biggest favourite for my right now, after Schumacher has gone on to pension.

ST205GT4
13th May 2008, 10:44
Didn't Senna roll one of the rally cars at that test?

sal
13th May 2008, 17:35
"I like the system of rallying and once you find a good place, you go there and feel closer to the rally. Sometimes in F1 the fans are too far away from what is happening on the track."

Obviously Robert hasn't spectated on Rally GBwhere the pens are further away from the track than at Silverstone!

koko0703
16th May 2008, 15:39

Or Kubica can bring BMW to WRC all together. That would be great :D

Sulland
16th May 2008, 17:09

Yes BMW go for a S2000 1 series coupe, would make sense actually, and we need BMW in rally !

bf1_IRL
16th May 2008, 19:11
Here is one I drew last year :) http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/bf1_photos/BMW1-SeriesSuper20009July072.jpg

Nothing special, just was bored one day :)

alleskids
17th May 2008, 08:06

In that case, we will see Kubica doing MotoGP next year :) , as BMW is considering joying the MotoGP.
To bad the good old days of talented drivers anything that has wheels and a engine on it, or gone for good. In the old days drivers did do rallies, sportcars F1, F2 or any other motorsport class just because they loved the thrill.

luca
17th May 2008, 08:21
Kubica has high skills on driving four wheel drive motorbike ;) i mean quad, yamaha YFZ450

General Prim
19th May 2008, 17:34
He even read books about rallying!

Garry Walker
19th May 2008, 20:24
He even read books about rallying!

From that quality picture, that could just as well be a book about Jenna Jameson`s last ride.

Raven
20th May 2008, 07:39
Barborka Rally 2004 (rally show)
http://www.autoklub.pl/fotogalerie/dominik_kalamus/barborka04_2/img0070.jpg

Wawelski Rally 2005 (as a "0" car)
http://www.autoklub.pl/fotogalerie/dominik_kalamus/wawelski05/img0050.jpg

General Prim
20th May 2008, 12:34
Look at http://www.rallyes.net

6th June 2008, 04:29
Kubica is not a least person, he should try all the level in race

White Sauron
8th June 2008, 21:20
Congratulations to Robert on his maiden F1 victory! This shy guy's really deserved it!! Well done and keep on, Robert!

F1boat
8th June 2008, 21:31
Well Done!

cosmicpanda
9th June 2008, 11:18
I'd love to see him do, say, Monte Carlo. That's one rally that's not in the F1 season at least, and he could probably do well on the tarmac.

Daniel
9th June 2008, 11:29
I'd love to see him do, say, Monte Carlo. That's one rally that's not in the F1 season at least, and he could probably do well on the tarmac.
I can just see it now..... Latvala crashing into Loeb in the service park and Kubica wins..... :dozey: :p

sal
9th June 2008, 11:31
Guess RK will be hoping more circuits break up and get "gravel" on them like yesterday...

AndyRAC
9th June 2008, 11:56
Explain to me why when Motorsports stars try Rallying it's nearly always on gravel - surely Tarmac would be more suitable - after all, driving it neat and tidy is the way to go on Tarmac.

Rajle
9th June 2008, 12:13
Kubica in Czech rally spectator - with Jan Kopecky - http://www.ewrc.cz/ewrc/show.php?id=5746

ShiftingGears
9th June 2008, 12:15
Explain to me why when Motorsports stars try Rallying it's nearly always on gravel - surely Tarmac would be more suitable - after all, driving it neat and tidy is the way to go on Tarmac.

Why not?

Zico
9th June 2008, 14:41

Maybe they are bored of asphalt and enjoy going sideways?

koko0703
9th June 2008, 16:20
I can just see it now..... Latvala crashing into Loeb in the service park and Kubica wins..... :dozey: :p

Hehehehehe :D We almost had a similary story with Rautenbach crashing into Loeb. It's just Rautenbach will never be Hamilton..... ;)

Tomi
9th June 2008, 18:08
:) And in other interview he said that he will start rallying after his F1 career. He's very focused on what he is doing right now. All the other things like partying are left aside. I know that it's really hard so that's why I really respect this guy.

hey Woodeye, what have you done to Kimi, he sounded a bit upset yesterday :)

Erki
11th June 2008, 16:43
Kubica in Czech rally spectator - with Jan Kopecky - http://www.ewrc.cz/ewrc/show.php?id=5746

That pretty lady was Jan? :o