PDA

View Full Version : I've got worms!

Hazell B
2nd May 2008, 20:20
Yep, I have worms :D

Just employed about 3,500 of the little tykes to turn compostables into potting medium for my plant business. They took some finding among the old horse muck, but the hard digging should pay off - I hope :s At least they work for nothing.

Anyone else have a wormery or two?
Advice on making them work extra hard?

Also, does anyone fish with brandling worms? How big are they when you use them and what size tub do they come in, and at what price? I'm considering selling my spares once they start breeding, but don't know the first thing about fishing :rolleyes:

Firstgear
2nd May 2008, 20:54
I don't have any advise on getting them to work hard, but with that many worms you better be careful. They'll soon want to form a union, and then you'll be lucky to get any work out of them at all.

Daniel
2nd May 2008, 21:08
Yep, I have worms :D

Just employed about 3,500 of the little tykes to turn compostables into potting medium for my plant business. They took some finding among the old horse muck, but the hard digging should pay off - I hope :s At least they work for nothing.

Anyone else have a wormery or two?
Advice on making them work extra hard?

Also, does anyone fish with brandling worms? How big are they when you use them and what size tub do they come in, and at what price? I'm considering selling my spares once they start breeding, but don't know the first thing about fishing :rolleyes:

We have a wormery :D

Valve Bounce
3rd May 2008, 06:20
I used to have a worm farm, the worms were thin ones which ate anything leafy or coffee grounds or tea leaves. One important procedure - never feed them dog poo or any other poo where the animals have been de-wormed, as that would eradicate them.

I used to have the bottom tray with a tap which I would drain once a week and use the liquid as organic fertiliser.

DonJippo
3rd May 2008, 07:39

Just bought tub of worms this week for fishing, price was 4.9€ containing 50 worms and to my surprise these worms are imported from Netherlands.

Hazell B
3rd May 2008, 14:12
Just bought tub of worms this week for fishing, price was 4.9€ containing 50 worms and to my surprise these worms are imported from Netherlands.

Not cheap, are they? :eek:

I expected them to be about a quarter that amount, with at least 100 in the tub! I've a fishing equipment seller bringing me some tomorrow if he can, so I'll be able to see how much and how many UK fishermen are used to.

It took me about an hour to find and grab each 500, so once they're confined to base and easier to simply scoop out in their half-eaten mush I figured about a pound for each 100 would be a safe selling price. Just riddle off most of the worms, pot them up and grab the cash :D

schmenke
7th May 2008, 15:51
...to my surprise these worms are imported from Netherlands.

Part of the Dutch underground no doubt...

Eki
7th May 2008, 18:58
I can see a movie called "I've Got Worms" starring Hazell B and Johnny D coming on. Sure to outsell the 1998 movie "You've Got Mail" starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

DonJippo
7th May 2008, 22:06
Part of the Dutch underground no doubt...

And don't catch fish that good either or maybe it was my fishing :dozey:

Went the other day to buy few fishlines to prepare fishing rods to our boys for fishing and noticed that they sell worm like bates made out of silicon something nowadays. Will give a try once my Dutch underground not catching worms are all gone swimming... ;)

GridGirl
7th May 2008, 22:11
But most fishermen dont use worms.....well not that I've seen.

I spent a lot of time last year taking photgraphs of fishing matches for various fishing newspapers and magazines and I only saw worms being used once. I doubt worms would be the only method being used by any match fisherman. Its more likely that they would be using ground bate or sweetcorn or something.

Theres an art to fishing which I really don't understand but theres definately alot more to it than using worms. Fair play if you make some money but I wouldn't bet on it making you alot.

Daniel
8th May 2008, 00:26
Should also point out that tiger worms are the best to have in a wormery but don't expect a huge amount of actual compost coming out of the wormery. They will produce a crap load of "worm juice" if you have some way of capturing it and tapping it. Not sure how well worms which eat poop will do eating plant matter.

8th May 2008, 10:22
I had a worm farm when I lived in a small flat with very little garden and it was a good way to use vege scraps and egg shells etc and the liquid fed the plants I had in tubs, but I've moved and don't need one now. I have a big container of comfrey soaking in water to make "comfrey tea" for the garden and two compost bins on the go. My resident blackbirds are never far away when I'm working in the garden or turning over the compost. A neighbour recently offered me a huge bin of compost which he didn't need and it was well worth the back breaking effort of barrowing it to my place. I was rapt to see it full of lovely worms.
Fishermen dig worms from an estuary here and they're used to catch mullet which are used for bait for bigger fish or eaten.

Hazell B
8th May 2008, 18:38
Fair play if you make some money but I wouldn't bet on it making you alot.

There's no plan to make millions, it's just another sideline to the pet food stuff I already sell. Hemp is a big seller to fishermen, as are the floating pond foods surprisingly.

Daniel, brandling worms are tiger worms - same thing, two names. There's 'blue nosed' ones too, but I think they're just the same thing that looks different as they're fed something special before being dispatched. Only posh composting companies seem able to supply them :rolleyes: Can't find internet details, it's just what somebody told me.

Eki, the script's in production.
However, Johnny Vegas is expected to star :p :

Daniel
8th May 2008, 18:45
Daniel, brandling worms are tiger worms - same thing, two names.

Ah OK :) Didn't know that. Learn something new everyday :p

schmenke
8th May 2008, 19:04
...Eki, the script's in production.
However, Johnny Vegas is expected to star :p :

Better off with Depp IMO :mad:

Hazell B
13th May 2008, 22:12
Schmenke, your script's in the post :p :

Daniel, I only know because I bought a book. It's like those who breed worms keep this big secret so they can sell their version for even more money just because they sound more suitable for whatever the job they're marketed at. Bit like cola or coffee :p :

schmenke
14th May 2008, 14:07
...Daniel, I only know because I bought a book. ...

Does that make you a book worm...? :erm:

Hazell B
15th May 2008, 18:34
I'll get your coat :p :

Eki
15th May 2008, 18:58
I'll get your coat :p :
So you're a moth?

Hazell B
15th May 2008, 19:00
Yes.
A great big fat crunchy one :D

Breeze
16th May 2008, 17:11
......... Hemp is a big seller to fishermen........................ :p :

Surfers, too, where I come from, but in its 'refined' state. :s mokin:

Hazell B
16th May 2008, 21:43
Surfers, too, where I come from, but in its 'refined' state. :s mokin:

You mean they pay for it?
It's always been free here abouts ;)

Eki
23rd May 2008, 05:11
Have you sold your worms to Max Mosley? Mallen claims on the F1 subforum that Max Mosley has opened a can of worms:

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127075

It would be funny if the winner on the podium opened a can of worms instead of bottle of champagne.

leopard
23rd May 2008, 08:34
I think driver who can easily have fever would prefer the canned worms to champagne. The cold-blood of worms supposedly have ability to reduce fever without any harm to the lung function as opposed to the long use of chemical medicine.

For having the same cold character, probably Kimi is an exception.

Here they go the talk from science pov. (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/12/061213175240.htm) ;)