PDA

View Full Version : Rally of Canberra Media Release

pault
2nd May 2008, 17:13
82 entries are now locked in for next week’s Rally of Canberra, including Guy Wilks, current British Rally Champion, driving a factory-prepared Honda Civic.
The rally of Canberra will be the largest forest rally seen in Canberra since the heady days of the famous Castrol International of the 1970sand this large field confirms the ACT event as one of Australia’s most significant rallies.
The Rally of Canberra is the second round of the prestigious FIA Asia Pacific Rally Championship (APRC) the second round of the Australian Rally Championship (ARC) and a round of the PCD Engineering ACT Rally Series. Its three rallies rolled into one, and featuring a a wide variety of world-class machinery. The rally starts in Garema Place in the heart of Canberra’s CBD at 6:30pm next Friday night (May 9) with a ceremonial start.
This is the 21st running of the Rally of Canberra, making it the longest running international rally in Australia. Canberra is famous for rallying worldwide since the late 70’s when stars like Finland’s Ari Vatenen and Stig Blomqvist competed, with special stages on roads in yet-to-be-completed ACT suburbs.
Asia-Pacific teams are entered from Malaysia, India, Japan, New Caledonia and Australia. A record number of crews from overseas have entered the rally.
Canberra is the home to Neal Bates, Canberra’s own three-times Australian rally champion and the current leader in the 2008 Australian Rally Championship after a superb win in WA in the Toyota Racing Development rally team, where he competes against his team-mate, Simon Evans, last year’s championship winner who is out to knock off the “boss” in his similar S2000 Corolla.
ACT local businesses are also winners with teams and spectators flocking to the rally, drawn by the city’s proximity to the rally course and its world-class food, entertainment and accommodation. Canberra’s stunning scenery will be featured on Network Ten sports coverage and in press coverage around the world an extra bonus to the ACT.

raybak
3rd May 2008, 08:59
Looks like a strong field. Boosted by the inclusion of the ACT series, over 35 cars just from the ACT.

We are competing in the EVO 6.5 Lancer that has been converted from tarmac spe over the last couple of weeks. We are only doing the ACT part of the event, cashing in on the $355 entry fee :)

Ray

Datto1600
4th May 2008, 14:40
No Mineshaft this year :( How can you have Rally of Canberra with out it??

Livewireshock
8th May 2008, 00:00
Mineshaft has not always been included in the ROC. As with all rallies, stages are rotated around. Although there has been a safety concern after Jerie's efforts last year and previous accidents.

johunn
9th May 2008, 06:19
I'm planning to go and watch the Canberra Rally and haven't been there before. Seen plenty of rallies in Europe and to get the right feeling I'd like to and check it out in the bush not in a designated specator area. Does anyone know any good spots? I thought of going and checking out the Mineshaft, but as this is not included this year I've been left empty handed. A tricky hairpin, a jump or just a place where I could see a lot of the track maybe?

Help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone wants to joing from Sydney let me know. Will be leaving tomorrow (Saturday) morning around 5 o'clock to make it there for the first stages.

TKM
9th May 2008, 07:26
First car starts the first stage (Tidbinbilla) at 7:40am. You could possibly catch some action at 5 ways off Paddy River road. Then the second stage also runs in that area and you might be able to see them at Cottage Five (a hairpin turn) or there is a short section that is parallel to Paddy river road (with a 90 degree left turn).

johunn
9th May 2008, 07:44
Thanks for that info. I'm not familiar with the area so could you give the directions a bit more precisely. Are you going to watch it somewhere yourself?

TKM
9th May 2008, 08:55
I'll be helping out in Tidbinbilla, then doing some spectating after that.

To get to Paddy River road, head out along the Cotter road from the Weston Creek area (suburbia). The Cotter road eventually turns into Paddy River road. Just keep going and no doubt you'll see some cars parked on the side of the road in the better viewing areas. There are some stage maps on the Roc web site (http://www.roc.com.au). Print them off and it may be of some help to you. The Cottage Five access road is the point marked as an optional remote refuel.

johunn
9th May 2008, 10:22
Great. Had all the maps sorted. Just wasn't sure which particular spot you meant. Does anyone know of any place where the cars would catch decent air? I guess it would be the best idea to rock up to a place that seems to have attracted other specators as well.

ST205GT4
10th May 2008, 07:46
Why is it that dirt events are so cheap to enter and yet things like Targa West/Tasmania etc cost thousands for competitors to enter?

raybak
10th May 2008, 11:56
Why is it that dirt events are so cheap to enter and yet things like Targa West/Tasmania etc cost thousands for competitors to enter?

Tarmac events are all classified as National level events, have higher insurance costs and more resources are required as in more police for closing roads. Gravel costs are still up there with the ARC entry fee being around $2100. We are very lucky this weekend that the ACT series is tacked onto the back of ROC and only costs $355 as it's not a CAMS affiliated series. The ACT series has entry fees capped at $355 per event, this is achieveable as the series is administered by the BMSC and LCCC.

Cheers

Ray

ST205GT4
11th May 2008, 03:51
Does the BMSC run any tarmac events as part of the series?

I've done a lot of club level motorkhanas/supersprints/hillclimbs and a Dutton (even that is 2k+ to enter now), but it seems to me that there is a massive gap in the sport between that level and closed road pace noted events.

I think there'd be a big response to a single day closed road event with a more reasonable entry fee.

How's the X coming along?

Cheers
Ben

raybak
11th May 2008, 12:16
I have done up the plans for a full tarmac event in Canberra. Waiting on a few issues to be sorted but it could all come together for 2009. Will still be similarly priced to something like Targa West.

Would love to run a single day tarmac event, just have to check on what the event fees would be. We ran a tarmac stage, Brindabella Rd for a couple of events as the first stage then service and put the gravel tyres on. This was quite successful.

In regards to the X, we have been told by Ralliart that they may have the car late July, then it has to be built as a rally car, so may be iffy to have it ready for Targa West.

Ray

TKM Jnr
12th May 2008, 10:24
Mineshaft has not always been included in the ROC. As with all rallies, stages are rotated around. Although there has been a safety concern after Jerie's efforts last year and previous accidents.

Not entirely.

Adrian was on the directing team and no matter what the event he refuses to run the Mineshaft in any rally.

pault
23rd May 2008, 07:25
That total crap Tristan. The whole course was done before Adrian even saw it. MB had set the course out in June 2007.

I'm not sure where your getting your information but it's not correct.

He may have said that for his Natcap.