PDA

View Full Version : Ayrton Senna: Fourteen Years Later

CNR
1st May 2008, 10:33
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/20702-Ayrton-Senna-Fourteen-Years-Later

“If I ever happen to have an accident that eventually costs me my life, I hope it is in one go. I would not like to be in a wheelchair. I would not like to be in a hospital suffering from whatever injury it was. If I’m going to live, I want to live fully, very intensely, because I am an intense person. It would ruin my life if I had to live partially.”

Four months after Ayrton Senna made this bold statement, he would cease to exist physically in our world. Fourteen years ago on May 1, 1994 at the San Marino Grand Prix at Italy’s Imola circuit, three time Formula One world champion Ayrton Senna slammed into a concrete barrier. It just looked like a nasty shunt, and that was all. The world watched live as medical personnel tended to Senna right on the spot. Millions of people watched in horror and agony as they pulled the Brazilian’s body out of the blood stained cockpit. The race continued after Senna was air lifted to Maggiore Hospital. A young man driving for Benetton by the name of Michael Schumacher would later go on to win the race to cap an already harsh and difficult weekend. When Schumacher climbed up onto the podium, he had just received word that one of his most respected rivals was now dead.

Ayrton Senna lived a full life and lived more in 34 years than what many people live in 84 years. In that, we should be comforted.

Let us never forget Ayrton Senna, and remember him on this 14th anniversary of his death.

dpatt
1st May 2008, 11:00
During the 2004 San Marino Grand Prix ten year anniversary remembrance of Ayrton Senna in a series of interviews, Gerhard Berger, Senna's team mate at McLaren from 1990-1992 and a very close friend, expressed a memory of what it was like qualifying with Senna:
“ I remember one weekend in Imola where I went out, I set the time. He went out, he was a bit quicker. I went out, I was quicker than him. He went out, he was quicker than me, and then it goes forwards, backwards -- ping pong -- until close to the end of the qualifying and it was the last set of tyres, and he was sitting in the racing car, me in my one, and he got out of the racing car, walked over to my one and said, 'Listen, it's gonna get very dangerous now,' and I say 'So what? Let's go!' ”

It was the 1990 San Marino Grand Prix and Senna qualified first, with Berger behind by half a second.

This competition could perhaps be attributed to not only Senna's determination and desire to be first (including qualifying), but Senna and Berger's close friendship and horseplay.

Source WIKI

Garry Walker
1st May 2008, 11:48
For some reason I was thinking of Senna yesterday, not realizing that today would be the 14th anniversary of his death.

A great man he was.

dwboogityfan
1st May 2008, 12:51
It doesn't seem 14 years since we lost Ayrton on that terrible day. I wonder what he would have made of the current state of F1.
Lets also remember Roland Ratzenberger. His story is in someways more tragic as his death was immediately overshadowed by Ayrtons.

SGWilko
1st May 2008, 15:31
Does Roland mean nothing to anyone?

Edit - I missed dw's reference to RR. :up:

fugariracing
1st May 2008, 19:45
For all the flack he's taken lately, worth remembering that Max Mosley spearheaded a safety campaign after the incidents that have kept the sport fatality-free ever since. An impact such as Kovalainen's on Sunday even a few years ago could have killed him. MM also was present at Ratzenberger's funeral when most of the fraternity was at Sennas...

I never saw the legend race, was only 6 at the time of the crash, but I have always heard of the deep respect and admiration for his talents and for his persona.

FIA
1st May 2008, 21:05
Thinking of you Roland and Ayrton

F1boat
1st May 2008, 21:19
RIP Ayrton and Roland.
I was very young and not a big F-1 fan when I learned about Senna's death. I wasn't his fan yet I remember that I was feeling very, very empty.
Years later I watched a movie about this tragic weekend and wept.
One of the saddest moments in the history of motorsport :(

AussieV8
2nd May 2008, 02:34
For all the flack he's taken lately, worth remembering that Max Mosley spearheaded a safety campaign after the incidents that have kept the sport fatality-free ever since.

This is a bit inaccurate. While no drivers have died since, there have been two marshals killed IIRC. Fortunately their deaths have led to better track side safety as well.

Jag_Warrior
2nd May 2008, 02:55
http://img144.imagevenue.com/loc815/th_70395_!Senna_In_Heaven_80MAY1_122_815lo.jpeg (http://img144.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc815&image=70395_!Senna_In_Heaven_80MAY1_122_815lo.jpeg )

ShiftingGears
2nd May 2008, 05:42
One of my earliest memories was seeing the helicopter flying away from Imola. RIP Ayrton and Roland.

ArrowsFA1
2nd May 2008, 08:15
For all the flack he's taken lately, worth remembering that Max Mosley spearheaded a safety campaign after the incidents that have kept the sport fatality-free ever since.
True, there were quite dramatic changes made in F1 after Imola, but there is a view that says the FIA overreacted in response to the extensive coverage of F1 after Ratzenberger's and Senna's deaths.

At the time we were reminded that the last fatality in F1 had been that of Elio de Angelis in 1986, and the world, and F1, had changed a lot since then. It's hard to overestimate the impact the loss of someone like Senna. For one thing it was Senna, the leading F1 driver of an era, and for another his death was seen live on TV around the world. The FIA had to be seen to do something to prevent this kind of thing happening again.

AJP
2nd May 2008, 12:43
I became an F1 fan around the time of Senna's death. I remember watching the race weekend when the two lives were lost and how shocked I was that it had happened..

I really don't know how to say what I feel about what happened...

I can't really put it into words...so I won't try.

All I know is that Senna in particular, will never be forgotten...

I am evil Homer
2nd May 2008, 12:48
A dark weekend for F1...the shock of Roland's death only then to be compounded by Senna's demise. I cannot believe 14 years have passed it still seems like not that long ago.

Placid
3rd May 2008, 04:27
I remember tuning in for the NASCAR race where I watched F1 when it was on ESPN. From there before the race, ESPN announced the bulletin about Senna's death.

We are very fortunate that Barrichello is still on the grid as he becomes F1's Ironman surpassing Ricardo Patrese this coming Turkish GP.

Ruby: Glad you are still with us.

Daniel
4th May 2008, 21:23
I like this quote from Max

Roland had been forgotten. So I went to his funeral because everyone went to Senna's. I thought it was important that somebody went to his

truefan72
5th May 2008, 01:14
Every Time I think of Imola, I think of Senna and vice verse.

I also think of Ratzenberger who died the day before on the same track, as well as Rubens horrendous accident the day before that. I also think of the people who got serously injured by debris that same weekend.

It was a nightmare weekend for sure. And I watched that race live, as soon as I saw the accident, I knew he was gone.

Senna while not my favorite driver, has/had my utmost respect for his ability and success. He continues to be missed.

Garry Walker
5th May 2008, 18:37
Senna while not my favorite driver, has/had my utmost respect for his ability and success. He continues to be missed.

Yep.

If only had Italian authorities done the right thing and not let the race take place as should have been the case after Ratzenbergers death.

truefan72
6th May 2008, 04:37
Yep.

If only had Italian authorities done the right thing and not let the race take place as should have been the case after Ratzenbergers death.

I thought about that myself.
I was wondering about that after news broke saturday. I though they might postponed the race due to safety concerns. respect etc.

Unfortunately, what killed senna was a failing of the car and an impact which resulted in a broken suspension piece killing him. Those type of accidents, at that speed are hard to prepare for or diagnose. The variables too many and no amount of protection etc, could have prevented the outcome.

We often forget that these guys are driving around at unbeleivable speeds and that violent impacts at the right angle and circumstance are often deadly and unprotectable.

That being said, they should have at least considered delaying the race to the following weekend or rescheduling it to give everyone time to breathe following what had already been a disastrous weekend for the sport at that point.

Garry Walker
6th May 2008, 07:15
I thought about that myself.
I was wondering about that after news broke saturday. I though they might postponed the race due to safety concerns. respect etc.

Unfortunately, what killed senna was a failing of the car and an impact which resulted in a broken suspension piece killing him. Those type of accidents, at that speed are hard to prepare for or diagnose. The variables too many and no amount of protection etc, could have prevented the outcome.

We often forget that these guys are driving around at unbeleivable speeds and that violent impacts at the right angle and circumstance are often deadly and unprotectable.

That being said, they should have at least considered delaying the race to the following weekend or rescheduling it to give everyone time to breathe following what had already been a disastrous weekend for the sport at that point.

What I really hinted at is that according my understanding, italian law would have prohibited running on the track if Ratzenberger had actually died on track. He did so, and everyone could see so. But the track officials said otherwise (that he died in hospital or on the way there, I have forgotten which) and let the race go on, when it shouldn`t have really.

truefan72
6th May 2008, 09:18
What I really hinted at is that according my understanding, italian law would have prohibited running on the track if Ratzenberger had actually died on track. He did so, and everyone could see so. But the track officials said otherwise (that he died in hospital or on the way there, I have forgotten which) and let the race go on, when it shouldn`t have really.

I see. Yeah that was bogus. If you saw the accident and some of the stock photos you would know that the left us at the track.

21st May 2008, 20:08
which is this very has foresight view in the building is braves? What were you saying? 中国特价机票网是特价机票行业的特价机票 (http://www.zhaoad.cn)普及、特价机票采购、特价机票技术、特价机票会展、特价机票招标行业平台是中 国最大的特价机票权威网站,并以及时的特价机票新闻、海量的特价机票资讯和独到的特价机票信息分析,为广大 特价机票爱好者特价机票订制服务是最权威的特价机票专场会议,特价机票 (http://www.zhaoad.cn)专家为您精选的特价机票产品,迎您来展示您的特价机票产品特价机票发布服务基 于特价机票经验丰富的特价机票企划人员和准确的特价机票投放系统,特价机票可以为特价机票客户顾名思义就是 忠诚与特价机票的用户,是集特价机票客户,网络特价机票媒体,致力与打折机票 (http://www.zhaoad.cn)厂家为一体特价机票知识应用及特价机票产品的价值升华。

Melqui
28th May 2008, 09:08
I remember that day, I live in a South American Country, and this hit us real hard not only for F1 fans but many other people.. Many people couldnt believe what they were seeing. I also Remember how Brazilian soccer team dedicated the Worldcup Victory to senna.. lots of memories

ST205GT4
28th May 2008, 12:37
I still remember the day (or night as it was for me here in Australia) that Ayrton passed away. One of the haul truck drivers at the mine I was working at in the middle of the outback in Western Australia radioed that Senna had been killed.

I couldn't believe it. I'd never met the guy, but I'd followed him since F1 first came to Australia in my hometown of Adelaide in the late 80s so I strangely felt as though someone I actually knew had passed on. Very strange feeling.

I had a 6 week holiday in Italy last year with some mates and made sure that I went an visited Senna's memorial. While I was at the memorial, one of the local boys road past, kissed his hand and touched the statue. There were still letters and pictures fixed to the fence near his statue even then.

Senna will always be my favourite driver. RIP mate.

Tallgeese
28th May 2008, 12:53
I remember I was sitting watching the race & by lap-6 the race was back on & I was thinking "YEAH SENNA'S GOING TO TAKE THIS ONE" & of course, we would clearly see that the race was building up in momentum at that moment, but then when the crash took place I thought that it's another race gone but that Senna would jump out at any second (the crash didn't seem that bad, I have seen worse) but then the events unfolded & it was just hard to imagine that he would die from such a crash. It was just terrible. Thing is, even on impact he was leading & even at the moment the hospital declared him dead he was ahead. There must be some justice & irony in that because Senna could never die as a normal person.