PDA

View Full Version : Big standardized rear-view side mirrors

grantb4
1st May 2008, 04:07
Big standardized mirrors, close to the driver, with clear view of the rear and anti-vibration mounting. We need them now. Or else just rip all of the mirrors off so the following car knows he needs to stick it in very deep if he want to make a pass.

AJP
1st May 2008, 09:04
maybe something like this.... :rolleyes:

sorry, my photoshop skills are still lacking....

might slow the cars down a few seconds per lap... :)

Hawkmoon
1st May 2008, 10:32
maybe something like this.... :rolleyes:

sorry, my photoshop skills are still lacking....

might slow the cars down a few seconds per lap... :)

Even with mirrors that big I doubt DC would have seen Massa, or Button, or Glock or whomever the next poor sap is who tries to pass the old bugger.

ShiftingGears
1st May 2008, 10:43
Even with mirrors that big I doubt DC would have seen Massa, or Button, or Glock or whomever the next poor sap is who tries to pass the old bugger.

It's a bit ironic considering he was the one pushing for higher cockpit sides, hence reduced visibility.

CNR
1st May 2008, 11:03
why not rear view cameras

http://www.astralelectronics.com.au/images/defaultPage/wpww38vb.gif

Powered by Cosworth
1st May 2008, 12:18
I've always wondered why nobody uses a camera and small screen in the cockpit. Seems like a great idea, wonder what the FIA say about it.

Stuartf12007
1st May 2008, 20:16
lol at video screen in cockpit

CNR
2nd May 2008, 01:11
mount them where the mirrors are but closer to the driver.

CNR
2nd May 2008, 01:44
http://i32.tinypic.com/2pys0ib.jpg

wmcot
2nd May 2008, 05:49
How about rear-facing radar??? :)

(or, to save money, just add a standard car horn to signal the driver in front that you're there.)

ShiftingGears
2nd May 2008, 07:07
How about they drive in reverse?

SGWilko
2nd May 2008, 08:59
How about a wacky racers style push to pass system.

Push the button, car up on stilts and overtakes.....

Bagwan
2nd May 2008, 11:43
To bring us back from goofy suggestions , might I suggest that the new raised cockpit sides seem to be a large part of the problem ?

If the FIA were to require the upper edge of the cockpit side to be lower , and a standard sized bar to run over top to the present height , would it not protect the driver as well , but also provide more peripheral vision ?

AJP
2nd May 2008, 12:49
mount them where the mirrors are but closer to the driver.

you can't unfortunately...you need to keep as much of the objects of an F1 car as for away from the head of the driver as possible, for crash safety that is..

dc10
2nd May 2008, 12:50
To bring us back from goofy suggestions , might I suggest that the new raised cockpit sides seem to be a large part of the problem ?

If the FIA were to require the upper edge of the cockpit side to be lower , and a standard sized bar to run over top to the present height , would it not protect the driver as well , but also provide more peripheral vision ?

This is probably a daft suggestion, but what about using clear polycarbon for cockpit sides?

Bagwan
2nd May 2008, 14:51
This is probably a daft suggestion, but what about using clear polycarbon for cockpit sides?

Maybe daft , but only because you might create distortion or reflections that could give a driver an excuse for not paying attention .
It goes to the same conclusion , that the sides of the cockpit pose a problem with no peripheral vision .

A bar at a required height could suffice .

dc10
2nd May 2008, 17:47
Maybe daft , but only because you might create distortion or reflections that could give a driver an excuse for not paying attention .
It goes to the same conclusion , that the sides of the cockpit pose a problem with no peripheral vision .

A bar at a required height could suffice .

Mmmm, suppose you're right. Bar it is then.

D-Type
2nd May 2008, 22:28
Why not go back to the beginning? The first racing car to use a mirror ws the marmon Wasp in the inaugural Indy 500. The mirror was mounted uphigh so the driver looked over his own head. You'd have to find somewhere else for the air intake though.