PDA

View Full Version : Which in-car luxury do you use most?

Hazell B
30th April 2008, 20:00
It's not that long ago that cars with electric windows were seen as the absolute pinacle of engineering. I kid you not :s Cup holders were a glint in the inventor's eye ......

Now if anyone owns a vehicle without them, a CD player, air con, sat nav and heated bum warmers, nobody's impressed.

So, which one item there just for the luxury element do you most use?

And which would you like adding, but haven't got?

I'm loving the uppy-downy air suspension on my newly aquired (but still very old) vehicle, but wouldn't half mind a cup holder I can reach :rolleyes:

real_illusions
30th April 2008, 20:22
considering i dont really have any luxuries such as electric windows, abs, power steering etc..

i would say the seat for a luxury, but then again thats not that comfy on long journeys.

:)

JSH
30th April 2008, 20:45
Heat Seaters.... i mean .. Seat Heaters.

Especially fun turning the Passenger one on for an unsuspecting passenger in the middle of summer.

Allyc85
30th April 2008, 20:48
Cd player by a mile, ive always got music on whilst im in the car :)

Daniel
30th April 2008, 21:07
Bum warmers. Definitely :)

schmenke
30th April 2008, 21:27
The only "luxury" that my current POS is equipped with is a cd player, and only because I've installed an after-market radio :mark:
It doesn't even have power steering... :mark:

Zico
30th April 2008, 23:57
Im like a few others on here.. luxuries and gizmos are a bad thing if you really apreciate the pure joys of driving...
The alternator belt which also powers the power steering pump broke a few months ago on my 106 Gti, the additional feel of what was happening with the tyre loads, not that it was bad before.. but how it totally changed the way I drove, far outweighed the inconvenience of parking at low speeds. It really felt like a well sorted circuit car. fantastic :D

Thinking of disconecting the power steering permanently much to the girlfriends dismay. ;)

Rollo
1st May 2008, 00:01
CD players... hee hee hee. That's like sooo 1998 it's laughable.

The people at Ford in all their wisdom originally fitted my Ka with an FM only radio. Because the dashboard is such a strange space cadetty shape, I had to replace it with another Ford radio, and that came with a Cassette player :eek: and... wait for it... a pair of RCA connector points.
I plug my iPod into the RCA connectors and voila! I went straight from cassette to MP3 with the need for those pesky plastic discs.

I really love the heated front window in the Ka. On those frosty mornings, having the luxury of actually seeing where you're going is bliss.

rah
1st May 2008, 00:26
Definately the cup holders. But they are usually too full to put drinks in.

Next luxury is to replace the current cd player with something that will take a USB drive.

bowler
1st May 2008, 08:39
air conditioning and central locking

Donney
1st May 2008, 09:33
Cd player and electric windows, and then I suposse air conditioning but I don't use it very much.

1st May 2008, 10:20
I'd like some sort of forcefield thingy that I can put on to surround my car at malls or supermarket carparks so idiot drivers can't ding my bodywork with their doors, tow bars, bumpers etc. It's happened twice this year :mad: Two insurance claims and my excess is NZ $250.

Marshall
1st May 2008, 10:29
Climate control and heated seats are fantastic. Rain sensing wipers have been getting a workout too and they're actually quite effective.

But its the CD player that's on the most.

Thing I miss most: cupholders. How Alfa could design an executive sedan and just completely overlook them is totally beyond me (I have an Alfa 166)

Daniel
1st May 2008, 10:30
Climate control and heated seats are fantastic. Rain sensing wipers have been getting a workout too and they're actually quite effective.

But its the CD player that's on the most.

Thing I miss most: cupholders. How Alfa could design an executive sedan and just completely overlook them is totally beyond me (I have an Alfa 166)
Nice car :)

GridGirl
1st May 2008, 17:17
Its not exactly a luxury but I definatley couldn't got back to driving a car without power steering.

I suppose my Sat Nav gets used the most.

Hazell B
1st May 2008, 20:24
Its not exactly a luxury but I definatley couldn't got back to driving a car without power steering.

I suppose my Sat Nav gets used the most.

My vehicle's undriveable without power streering, but I'd also far rather have it in any car. Makes parking so much easier.

Not got a CD player :(

Daniel
1st May 2008, 20:26
My vehicle's undriveable without power streering, but I'd also far rather have it in any car. Makes parking so much easier.

Not got a CD player :(
I think just about any big 4wd would be undrivable without power steering. I think smaller cars are much better without power steering though :) Used to love the steering in my 504 and 131. Was still easy to park but that's because they weren't big 4wd's :p

Tomi
1st May 2008, 20:58
Seat warmer and climate control

dc10
3rd May 2008, 23:01
Climate control and power steering. Couldnt drive my XTrail without PS.
Mind you I loved my old mini (reg. 1966) best of all cars I've had - no luxuries whatsoever :D

BDunnell
4th May 2008, 10:55
It's not that long ago that cars with electric windows were seen as the absolute pinacle of engineering. I kid you not :s Cup holders were a glint in the inventor's eye ......

Oddly, I was just thinking about this sort of thing the other day when buying a new CF card for my digital camera. This used to be a significant pain in the wallet, but not any more. The rate at which such items as you mention have become standard fitment to cars almost across the board really is quite incredible when you think about it. Proof, certainly, of how worries about not being able to afford new items of technology easily need not last long, because they soon drop in price.

Daniel
4th May 2008, 12:30
Oddly, I was just thinking about this sort of thing the other day when buying a new CF card for my digital camera. This used to be a significant pain in the wallet, but not any more. The rate at which such items as you mention have become standard fitment to cars almost across the board really is quite incredible when you think about it. Proof, certainly, of how worries about not being able to afford new items of technology easily need not last long, because they soon drop in price.

I remember paying about £40 a few years ago for a fast 1gb CF card and thought it was a good deal. Now I could get 4gb of CF for half the price I paid for a 1gb card.

Mark
4th May 2008, 17:37
I think these days any car should have air conditioning. If it does not have it it might as well not have a heater either as I just would not buy it.
Ah CF cards... I thought you only found them in museum exhibits these days.

Daniel
4th May 2008, 18:54
CF cards in museums? They're faster than SD cards :p

dc10
4th May 2008, 23:09
'Scuse my ignorance, what are CF and SD cards?

ST205GT4
26th May 2008, 06:07
It's a combination of cruise control + the captains chair armrest in our CRV. Stick the thing on cruise, put down the amrest and I feel like I'm driving around on a mobile lounge chair.