PDA

View Full Version : Fancy restaurants

Mark
6th December 2006, 12:45
Not that I'm complaining too much, as it's free, but why does my work always book the fancied resaurants for Christmas lunch. It's the type of menu where you think. "I'll pick something they can't have messed about with too much", but you get it and it has been :s

I'd be much happier with Italian or a pub meal, but no :(

STARTERS
(v) White bean and pear soup with Somerset Brie croutons
Baked goose liver tart with traditional Cumberland sauce
(v) Watercress salad with candied almonds and mead soaked apricots
Honey-cured ham with red cabbage slaw
Gin and juniper cured salmon terrine with dill cream fraiche

MAINS
Daube of rare breed beef with Wylam Ale mustard mash
(v) Organic risotto with roasted chestnuts and Cashel Blue crumble
Baked black cod with Brussels sprout purée and crispy air-dried bacon
Pine roasted partridge stew with honey glazed root vegetables
(v) Maple roasted turban squash with a nut stuffing and nutmeg sautéed spinach
Corn-fed chicken with roast potatoes, glazed carrots & blackberry thyme juices

PUDDINGS
Upside-down pear gingerbread with brandy anglaise
White chocolate cheesecake, bitter chocolate glaze and mandarin orange syrup
Absolute frozen Sea Breeze parfait
Light and lemony syllabub with pistachio shortbread
Mince meat crumble with cinnamon ice cream

BDunnell
6th December 2006, 14:25
Because, maybe, it's nice to go out for a special meal towards the end of the working year, rather than something run-of-the-mill. My workplace's Christmas meals are always dreadfully boring, or just plain dreadful — this is why I try not to go. If they were going somewhere like the place whose menu you posted, I may well reconsider.

J4MIE
6th December 2006, 15:16
If there is a free space then I can make myself available ;) :D

DonJippo
6th December 2006, 15:18
What's a resaurant :confused:

veeten
6th December 2006, 15:26
please, don't start... ;) :p :

Daniel
6th December 2006, 15:52
What's a resaurant :confused:

My thoughts exactly :crazy:

airshifter
6th December 2006, 16:18
Employers enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that you can no longer truthfully say that they never did anything for you, all the while fully aware the 95% of the employees would have rather had no meal and a bonus of equal value!

LotusElise
6th December 2006, 18:18
I quite like some fancy restaurants, as long as they are proper establishments serving classy food, rather than jumped-up places with bizarre, overpriced menus.
Can't say that anything takes my fancy from Mark's menu though...

schmenke
6th December 2006, 18:20
What's a syllabub? :mark:

CarlMetro
7th December 2006, 13:56
What's a syllabub? :mark:

Sweetened cream usually beaten with wine or a liquer of some sort, can be sevred warm or cold and is very nice :lips:

Whilst I hate turkey, I dod think that if somewhere is serving 'Christmas' lunches for Chrimbo parties then they should at least be offering the traditional Prawn Cocktail, Turkey and the trimmings, Chrimbo pud and coffee and mince pies afterwards on their menu, alongside all this artsy fartsy stuff that eateries seem to feel it necessary to add to their menus.

I sat down in a resturant in Belfast that was next to my hotel this week. I ordered a drink before looking at the menu. I then looked at the menu whilst sipping my drink. It looked similar to what Mark posted, full of jus, terrienes, tarts and cremes and frankly the only thing that appealed was the soup. When the waitress came to take my order, I politely explained that I had changed my mind, drank and paid for my drink and left.

oldhippie
7th December 2006, 15:51
to solve the problem with the menu you should drink your lunch ;)

tintin
7th December 2006, 21:23
Employers enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that you can no longer truthfully say that they never did anything for you, all the while fully aware the 95% of the employees would have rather had no meal and a bonus of equal value!

We have to pay for our own Chistmas lunch, so doubly true.

Mark
8th December 2006, 10:03
Anyone seen Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares? He usually tells resaurants with menus like that to ****ing **** :p

Storm
8th December 2006, 11:03
Maple roasted turban squash with a nut stuffing and nutmeg sautéed spinach.

huh ? :confused:

Dave B
8th December 2006, 11:05
Turban squash? I can't get my head wrapped round that one...

slinkster
8th December 2006, 12:15

:laugh:

I try to avoid restaurants where the food is merely a blob in the centre of a massive plate and we're meant to believe it's arty minimalism.... HOWEVER, there's a restaurant local here that I've been to on the very odd occasion. Pricey... but the food is just sublime every time... :liplick:

Curryhead
8th December 2006, 18:58

lmao!!! it actually dor's say "turban squash"...would love to know what that's about :D

Sirius
8th December 2006, 19:21

That is hilarious Storm! :laugh:

Sirius

Curryhead
8th December 2006, 19:37
I presume it is some sort of pastry wrap or something, to be honest, even with the festive season upon us, I would prefer a traditional English dish, say a nice Lamb Bhuna or summat :D

Ian McC
8th December 2006, 19:53
Maybe it says something about how good a company is by where they take you for your Christmas party

Chicago Rock Cafe anyone? :s

BDunnell
8th December 2006, 20:56

That sort of menu item will probably find itself banned under the new religious hatred laws.