PDA

View Full Version : DVD+RW editing software

SEATFreak
30th April 2008, 11:20
I often have to record the mammouth 4-5hr long coverage of the BTCC because when it is on is when me and my folks like to eat and the TV in the room we eat isn't a TV with integrated Freeview so we can only watch BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Five. But often I have often thought about editing the DVD disc so that I can delete all the support races, all the talking and of course the ads.

Does anyone know of any good DVD editing software I can install over the web which allows me to edit the dics which are DVD+RW discs?

Obviously I can hear everyone shout "Do a Yahoo! or Google search for DVD editing software!" but is quite another thing to know and understand what it is exactly your looking at when you find it.

Any help is very much appreciated

Mark
30th April 2008, 11:22
Why not just buzz through the bits you don't want to watch?

Daniel
30th April 2008, 12:14
or eat at a different time on race weekends? :mark:

Brown, Jon Brow
30th April 2008, 12:21
My dad was looking for a DVD editing download last night so he could edit his holiday video. Some of them we looked at were over £60, does anyone know of any free ones that will actually do the job?

J4MIE
30th April 2008, 12:54
Most of the ones I've come across recently won't let me use them cos I am stuck in the dark ages :(

SEATFreak
30th April 2008, 13:42
I shouldn't have said anything! Why I said it despite knowing full well what you two (Mark & Daniel) would make as suggestions I will never know!

You two clearly haven't grasped the concept of problem solving. Let me teach you. It is for the best.

When someone wants help to overcome a problem it is because they want to overcome it so they are able to do what they want to do for themselves; not, and after everying, to then suddenly do anothers totally lunatic alernative suggestion.

I want to know the name of a good DVD editing suite because I want to edit my own DVD's to manage the space better to enable me to get more BTCC races on. Not because I want to instead skip the bits I don't want to see, or more ludicrous yet, move the time we eat.

Your disc gives you 120mins. You set the DVD player to record 6hrs but the quality of the picture is severely pixelated. After the full 5-6hrs of the TV coverage is ended you cannot get any more uninterupted coverages on.
How do you get more races on when theirs no more room on the disc without editing the disc on your PC? Because that is the problem I have. All I want to know is the name of a good editing software.

Tomi
30th April 2008, 14:47
Try Tmpg encoder, its quite good.

SEATFreak
30th April 2008, 15:21
Try Tmpg encoder, its quite good.

Thank you Tomi! Finally, the kind of sugesstion I wanted as a pose to the stupid suggestion to chage the time I eat instead. :up:

With most DVD's you get "Recording Modes". That is to say certain modes use up different time on the disc.

On mine HQ (High Quality) is about 1hr, HSP lasts 1hr 30secs, SP (Standard Mode) lasts 2hrs, LSP (Long Standard Play??) lasts 2hr 30secs, ESP lasts 3hrs, LP (Long Play??) lasts 4hrs, EP lasts 6hrs and SLP lasts 8hrs. But I am sure each of those would naturally take up a certain amoung of GB space on the disc which has in total 4.7GB. Each mode seems to produce different quality of picture. Some more pixelated than other modes.

It is impossible I am sure to constantly record 6hrs worth of uninterupted TV coverage on one disc when you only have on a 120hr disc 4.7GB.

But I am sure you can actually erase a section of a disc title.

Not that I don't want to take your advice after all Tomi because your a good guy with a lot of help and time for people. It is just I want to see if it is possible to do that first before getting the one you suggested.

Dave B
30th April 2008, 15:40
When someone wants help to overcome a problem it is because they want to overcome it so they are able to do what they want to do for themselves; not, and after everying, to then suddenly do anothers totally lunatic alernative suggestion.
What Mark and Daniel were doing is known as "lateral thinking" or "thinking outside the box".

My suggestion would have been in a similar vein but I'm not going to bother posting it now.

Daniel
30th April 2008, 17:35
I shouldn't have said anything! Why I said it despite knowing full well what you two (Mark & Daniel) would make as suggestions I will never know!

You two clearly haven't grasped the concept of problem solving. Let me teach you. It is for the best.

It's called as Dave said "Thinking outside the box"

I'm one of those sort of people who can propose very elaborate and very expensive solutions to things when it comes to computers. But sometimes the best solution is the simplest.

Mark
30th April 2008, 18:01
You did not say that you wanted to fit more onto the disk merely that you wanted to skip the support races. May I suggest a freeview pvr? As for your comment if you had made that sort of remark in my local pub you would have been taken outside and given a damn good hiding. Think on.

Daniel
30th April 2008, 19:34
What I don't quite get is how editing the disc on your PC will get you past the limitations of a single DVD. You're only ever going to get 120 minutes of DVD quality footage on the disc in the first place :confused: