PDA

View Full Version : Why no Bike adverts on British TV...??

AndyRAC
29th April 2008, 20:52
So why, we see endless car adverts, but none for Motorcycles. Is there any reason why? Or aren't they allowed?

GridGirl
29th April 2008, 20:57
Bikes are a niche market in the UK. Your either into them and will actively want to buy one or your not and won't. :)

Mark
30th April 2008, 07:22
You quite often get them during motorsports coverage on Eurosport.

You'd definitely get them during MotoGP coverage if only it weren't on the BBC!

Robinho
30th April 2008, 12:48
there'd be no point in mass marketing bikes, as only a small proportion ride, or wish to ride them, and very few of the populous would be converted to buying a bike, and then not necessairliy the one advertised. Bikers are into bikes, and therefore will read MCN or Bike magazine, watch bikes on Eurosport etc where you find wall to wall bike ads and reviews to tempt people to another brand

Daniel
30th April 2008, 17:41
Bikes are a niche market in the UK. Your either into them and will actively want to buy one or your not and won't. :)

Quite true. Plus there are brand loyalties and people will research a new bike purchase extensively I'm sure.

inimitablestoo
30th April 2008, 19:58
Honda managed to sneak one or two into that "Impossible Dream" ad, but that's about as close as I can recall :s

It gets worse when you consider they do show adverts for vans of all things

real_illusions
30th April 2008, 20:23

same with sports cars like ferrari, aston martin etc..

people will buy them if they want one, theres no need for those manufacterers to advertise as they know the right customers will go to them.

:)

Dave B
1st May 2008, 11:58
It gets worse when you consider they do show adverts for vans of all things
Most van manufacturers also make cars, and it's a good way of reinforcing the apparent quality of your brand. If the public see tradesmen or a large company using a particular make of van then some of them will assume that they also produce decent cars.

Hazell B
1st May 2008, 20:20
there'd be no point in mass marketing bikes, as only a small proportion ride, or wish to ride them, ......

Exactly, but there used to be ads for mopeds in an attempt to grab younger users at the first chance. I remember the old C90 adverts and my parents falling for the idea - then never once using either of the two they bought :s

There are more horses than bikes in the UK, and you never see ads on TV for them either. Funnily enough, you do see government ads saying how dangerous both are though :laugh:

jim mcglinchey
3rd May 2008, 08:40
I love the Suzuki Burgervan ad with that cool bugger Del Piero.

AndyRAC
3rd May 2008, 16:48
Well seeing how much fuel is now, and how fuel efficient bikes are compared to cars, surely it makes sense to advertise this fact.