PDA

View Full Version : Prospective racing driver -- need advice

MadCat360
29th April 2008, 10:00
Hi all! I'm seriously shooting to be a professional racing driver, and my ultimate goal at the moment is American Le Mans. I've made my karting debut and am participating in the Jim Russel racing schools programs at Infineon raceway in California.

Basically, I know nothing, know no one, have no money, and no sponsorship. I'm dirt (but I can sorta drive). And I'm still a kid (18).

My question is this: what is the path to ALMS? I'm somewhat familiar with the open-wheel route to Formula 1. But I'm stumped when it comes to sportscars.

Basically, I've looked at clubsport, nearly barfed (sorry) and looked away for something else. I need something to get me started after karting. I need something recognisable, sponsorable, and most of all, professional. There needs to be legitimate money involved. I want to make this my life, because it's already my passion.

You may ask why I'm on an internet forum asking about this, and the reason is that I'm just not in touch with the right people. So I'm asking anyone and everyone.

So, if you have raced professionally, or know of someone who has, please let me know or shoot me some advice. Name a series I can look into to get started on the sportscar path, please. You have all my thanks. I'm just totally blank in this area of motorsport.

PS, I run a blog about my experiences thus far (and into the future), but I'm reluctant to post a link to it as that may be considered advertising. If you guys want to see it, just ask.

Thank you.

~Mad.

anthonyvop
30th April 2008, 17:39
Basically, I know nothing,
Better get learning

know no one,
Start going to every race and introduce yourself

have no money,
You are screwed

and no sponsorship.
You are totally Screwed

I'm dirt (but I can sorta drive).
Sorta? Sorta won't cut it.

And I'm still a kid (18).
18 is old to get starting in racing.
Have you won any races? Started on Pole? Competed in a series?
What is your Karting resume?

Find out if your fast enough and at the same time learn everything you can about MARKETING! Those decals and patches are there for a good reason.

MadCat360
30th April 2008, 23:26
Tell me something I don't know, Captain Obvious.

My question is this: what is the path to ALMS? I'm somewhat familiar with the open-wheel route to Formula 1. But I'm stumped when it comes to sportscars.

Call Me Earl
1st May 2008, 20:46
Well, if you can sorta drive, then you should be a shoe in for a top professional ride.

Bring your helmet to the next ALMS race. Those Audi drivers are getting old, I bet the team is looking for a young charger like you.

anthonyvop
2nd May 2008, 05:47
Tell me something I don't know, Captain Obvious.

With that attitude I can see how you will get Teams banging down your door to get you behind the wheel.

I am going to let you in on a little secret.

There are a ton of drivers out there who are very good. The Majority never get to race professionally ever.
It takes money to race. So unless your dad is wealthy and is willing to finance your career you will need sponsors.
And sponsors hate drivers with snotty attitudes. Especially drivers who are snotty to the media.

FormerFF
3rd May 2008, 19:54
Madcat, here's your problem: You may or may not have enough talent to make it as a professional race car driver. The odds are about 5000:1 that you don't. I'm not trying to be negative, that's just the hard cold truth of the situation. It's the same with any professional sport, many are called but few are chosen, as the old saying goes.

Your first task is to find out if you are that one person. In order to do that, you will need to race. Until you are a proven commodity, you'll be funding your own race effort. Can you do that? If not, it doesn't matter if you are that rare talented individual because you'll never find out that you are good enough.

There are some guys whose situation allows them to work themselves up to speed, Chris Dyson and Michel Jourdain Jr. come to mind. Since you don't have that kind of funding, you have to be brilliant to get noticed, you can't afford the luxury of taking a long time to get good. Since you are in karts, you need to stay there until you are head and shoulders above your competition. If you don't get to that level, then you don't have the talent to become a professional racing driver.

If that's the case, there are other options. Are you talented at problem solving? You might be a good race engineer. Do you not mind working long hours, being away from home a lot, and not having much job security? You might want to be a racing mechanic? If none of those options appeal to you, and your heart is set on driving, go to school, figure out how to make a good income, and go club racing as a hobby. It's the best that most of us (me included) can hope for. And, it's pretty good.

You might want to google a few drivers names and read their biographies. That will give you some ideas how these guys got where they are.

FormerFF
3rd May 2008, 19:55
With that attitude I can see how you will get Teams banging down your door to get you behind the wheel.

I am going to let you in on a little secret.

There are a ton of drivers out there who are very good. The Majority never get to race professionally ever.
It takes money to race. So unless your dad is wealthy and is willing to finance your career you will need sponsors.
And sponsors hate drivers with snotty attitudes. Especially drivers who are snotty to the media.

C'mon Tony, you have to admit your original response to him was rather flippant.

MrJan
6th May 2008, 23:16
I think you are being a bit harsh, especially as a lot of GT Racers are a bit older than other racers.

Certainly you are starting late but the advice to all new starters is become part of a motorclub and start talking to people.

Lack of money is not good but you can start getting sponsorship by talking to local businesses. You might only get something like a free tub of oil but at least that's oil you don't need to buy.

Karting is probably the wrong place for someone your age but I'm not familiar with things on your side of the pond. Certainly if you were in England then you'd be looking at something much more serious.

As for the route to ALMS I'd quash that dream now. Most Sportscar drivers seem to come from open wheel stuff and F1 anyway or at least some form of touring cars (see Johnny Herbert, Tom Kristensen, Frank Biela etc. etc. etc.) These guys are special makle no mistake about it. Pretty much if I were you I'd just ensure that you enjoy yourself rather than thinking about a career.

I'm 23 and have just started doing speed events and have discovered that even though I'm used to driving it is completely different on a track to on the road. Bear in mind that I'm about the same age as Lewis Hamilton and you car see that I'm already over the hill.

anthonyvop
8th May 2008, 20:24
C'mon Tony, you have to admit your original response to him was rather flippant.

Maybe I was but if he is serious about being a racer he better grow some thicker skin.

With my show I can hardly walk by a karting or jr. event without being accosted by people who think they are the next Mario Andretti.

The best was when a kid I knew who is 19 and has been karting for 5 years came up to me complaining about how a guy like him will ever get his break and move up to a paying ride if we(the media) didn't give him any press.
Now this is a guy, in 5 years, who has never qualified higher than 6th and his best ever finish was a 3rd place when the top 4 crashed out on the last lap.