PDA

View Full Version : The GODs of F1

Roamy
21st January 2007, 02:30
Ron Dennis says:

Despite Ferrari-bound Kimi Raikkonen's supposed alcoholic indiscretions during his tenure in 2002-2006, the Woking based team's chairman suggested that the only sips taken by Lewis Hamilton or world champion Fernando Alonso this year should be champagne on the podium.

After his drivers trained with Olympic athletes in Finland, Dennis told the Mirror: "We don't see why drivers need to have even one drink in the course of a season."

The irony of Dennis' stance, however, is that whiskey sponsor Johnnie Walker's McLaren-associated slogan for this year is: "Be a champion. Drink responsibly."

Gehard Berger says:
Co-owner Gerhard Berger has fired criticism at Toro Rosso's 2006 race lineup, as the Faenza based team continues to stall on revealing its drivers for the looming season.

source: GMM

A raft of alternatives are reportedly in the frame to replace Vitantonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed, with Berger understood to be preparing to announce the 2007 lineup at the beginning of next month.

But despite recently saying the existing pair were in "pole position" to retain their seats, Austrian Berger now insists that both Liuzzi and Speed "showed weaknesses" in 2006.

"We want to discuss these (weaknesses) with them," the 47-year-old former grand prix winner told German magazine Auto Motor und Sport.

Berger accused Italian Liuzzi, 25, and Californian rookie Speed, who is 23, of lacking focus, despite Toro Rosso and team co-owner Red Bull's paddock reputation for 'fun'.

"You don't see superstars like Schumacher and Alonso at too many parties," Berger said, before outlining the Italian squad's far more serious "goals" for F1.

He said of Speed and Liuzzi: "If they also share these goals, they will sit in our cars. If they do not, a further cooperation would be a waste of time."

Gee lets put in SB and JV.

Hondo
21st January 2007, 03:17
If memory serves me correctly, didn't Herr Berger have a reputation as something of a party animal himself?

Alonso and Hamilton ought to go to a "gentlemans club" have a couple Dr. Peppers and get naked. "But Ron, we weren't drinking..."

All things considered, it looks to me that Ron needs Alonso and Hamilton right now more than they need him. Ron needs to back off, I hear Berger is looking for a couple of drivers.

jso1985
21st January 2007, 04:50
Edit

futuretiger9
21st January 2007, 10:05
I think everyone appreciates the need for a modern F1 driver to take care of his fitness and physical condition, but that does not mean that they have to live like monks.

BeansBeansBeans
21st January 2007, 10:14
Nonsense Mr Dennis.

At the peak of his career Schumacher was guzzling Champagne every other week.

DimitraF1
21st January 2007, 11:51
thats why schummis last 2 seasons go downhill... so many years podium champagne.... :P

K-Pu
21st January 2007, 16:37
Briatore once said that if Kimi were his pilot, heīd let him drink as long as heīd do what heīs supposed to: going fast.

Briatore is not the most reliable person in the paddock, and Ron Dennis has always been an ultra-professional man, with no room for distractions.

I think the good choice is between the two of them. Donīt let your drivers get drunk every week but donīt force them to live as monks. Nex time will Ron be banning them from seeing their girlfriends?

jens
21st January 2007, 17:47
Co-owner Gerhard Berger has fired criticism at Toro Rosso's 2006 race lineup, as the Faenza based team continues to stall on revealing its drivers for the looming season.

A raft of alternatives are reportedly in the frame to replace Vitantonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed, with Berger understood to be preparing to announce the 2007 lineup at the beginning of next month.

But despite recently saying the existing pair were in "pole position" to retain their seats, Austrian Berger now insists that both Liuzzi and Speed "showed weaknesses" in 2006.

"We want to discuss these (weaknesses) with them," the 47-year-old former grand prix winner told German magazine Auto Motor und Sport.

Berger accused Italian Liuzzi, 25, and Californian rookie Speed, who is 23, of lacking focus, despite Toro Rosso and team co-owner Red Bull's paddock reputation for 'fun'.

"You don't see superstars like Schumacher and Alonso at too many parties," Berger said, before outlining the Italian squad's far more serious "goals" for F1.

He said of Speed and Liuzzi: "If they also share these goals, they will sit in our cars. If they do not, a further cooperation would be a waste of time."

Umm. I hope Tonio and Scott are given another chance. They are talented, but they need to get matured. Button was the same on his debut season and he matured in 2001 under Flavio's rigorous observation. Maybe Gerhard should create a stricter regime for his drivers as well?

PSfan
21st January 2007, 23:33
"If they also share these goals, they will sit in our cars. If they do not, a further cooperation would be a waste of time."

Why do I get the feeling this is to justify getting rid of one of the drivers in favour of one that can bring money?

Roamy
22nd January 2007, 04:23
Well Ron Dennis is smarting because he had been nowhere for several years.
I would hope that Berger's problems are with Tonio as Scott was very close to him this year. I have no problem with Berger exploring SB. Matter of fact if I were a new team I would go for senior drivers to help advance the team