PDA

View Full Version : Nonsense

ioan
20th January 2007, 23:22
"Healthy grass on the verges is an essential requirement for safe racing, minimising dust and debris on the track surface, as well as providing a smooth, safe surface for cars which come off the track," according to Bamford.

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Page/0,15909,3210_3213_1857216,00.html

So they want to use the little water there is for the groth of the grass for a 3 day F1 event?

Gras provides a "smooth safe surface" for F1 cars!

This guy is an idiot.

Ranger
21st January 2007, 00:04
Bushfires are going straight through most of Victoria atm.

If they want water, use the ocean - its less than a km away! :\

Ian McC
21st January 2007, 00:42
Oh and of course it will look just great :rolleyes:

AJP
21st January 2007, 00:46
"Healthy grass on the verges is an essential requirement for safe racing, minimising dust and debris on the track surface, as well as providing a smooth, safe surface for cars which come off the track," according to Bamford.

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Page/0,15909,3210_3213_1857216,00.html

So they want to use the little water there is for the groth of the grass for a 3 day F1 event?

Gras provides a "smooth safe surface" for F1 cars!

This guy is an idiot.
I wouldn't be calling anyone an idiot ioan...

His point on keeping the sides of the track in good condition are completely valid....
the only thing that is disturbing about this is getting the water from Albert Park...The Yarra and the ocean are only a stones throw away...better to use the yarras water as its salt levels are much lower than the oceans...

Hondo
21st January 2007, 03:23
I would think a smooth, flat surface under the grass is what would count. Grass, wet or dry is pretty slick stuff.

Dazz9908
21st January 2007, 04:30
Australia is in the grip of the biggest drought in recorded history.
Bush fires burn out of control unsuppressed because there is no water to combat them.
Oh by the way Bahrain us little if no grass at all on most of the track.

This time you didn't do your home work.

ShiftingGears
21st January 2007, 07:30
the only thing that is disturbing about this is getting the water from Albert Park...The Yarra and the ocean are only a stones throw away...better to use the yarras water as its salt levels are much lower than the oceans...

:up:

VresiBerba
21st January 2007, 21:22
:laugh: Ioan, this has nothing to do with making grass grow, it has to do with safety of the competitors. You DO know that water would bind the dust to the ground making it safer already there, and second, softening the concrete-hard soil in case of an off track tete-a-tete?

inamo
21st January 2007, 22:53
Doh!

msaxman
22nd January 2007, 04:07
the drought is a major issue.

did anyone see the grass fires during the queensland round of the super v8 series? i'm sure they want none of that at albert park.

though, there has been a decent ammount of rain during the australian open...

Roamy
22nd January 2007, 04:14
well basically grass is a terrible surface for a race car. Especially if you are out of control. big curbs that screw your car is the answer for containment. basing apex management on the abiltiy of your car to cut corners is something that is not needed in F1

K-Pu
22nd January 2007, 04:31
Well, having the track and whatīs not the track in good condition is a good thing...

But if Australia us suffering that drought I think water should be used where itīs most necessary.
Here in Spain we have some troubles with water, and believe me, whatīs important when they decide how to use it itīs MONEY. Here we have the biggest ultra-dry desert of Europe (Los Monegros), and nobody tries to plant nothing there. But in Murcia (another dry region) theyīre poised to build golf fields. They are wasting water in stupid things like golf and planting vegetables in a desert and people donīt have enough water at home.

Thatīs why I say they should use water whereīs most necessary in case of drought. In extreme cases, they can always use artificial grass.

Roamy
22nd January 2007, 04:37
believe me the water it take to green up the park has no real bearing on the state of a draught. Unless you guys are shipping water in to drink the amount of water for one week is not that big of deal. Water the sh!t screw green peace and move on.

ioan
22nd January 2007, 09:04
:laugh: Ioan, this has nothing to do with making grass grow, it has to do with safety of the competitors. You DO know that water would bind the dust to the ground making it safer already there, and second, softening the concrete-hard soil in case of an off track tete-a-tete?

I bet it will be dry and concrete hard in a few hours after watering, so why do it?!
Or you believe that if they water it just before the race then a muddy and slippery surface will be safe for racing?

Rusty Spanner
22nd January 2007, 09:09
I seem to recall they 'glued' the sand around the track in Bahrain to stop the dust for exactly the same reason.

However a little bit of dead grass isn't usually a problem from the point of view of appearence since its not uncommon for tracks to paint it in order to make it all look green.

AJP
22nd January 2007, 09:50
I bet it will be dry and concrete hard in a few hours after watering, so why do it?!
Or you believe that if they water it just before the race then a muddy and slippery surface will be safe for racing?
I think you should not say anything ioan....
As it seems you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about...

RJL25
22nd January 2007, 10:56
can anyone say beat up? Why is no one complaining about the water they use to keep the grass green at the MCG, Telstra Dome, and all the other major sporting venues accross victoria... Oh thats right cos motorsport is an easy punching bag here in australia cos apparently all of us motorsport fans are "hoons"

Mark
22nd January 2007, 12:01
Did anyone read the article? It's not saying that cars go well on grass. Just that having grass by the side of the track binds the soil thus means you don't get dirt/debris on the track during the race.

Tarmac is just as good (see Monaco) or glue (see Bahrain)

tinchote
22nd January 2007, 13:08
Sprinkling to contain dust is something you do in small villages in poor countries. I find it hard to believe that it is an efficient solution in the case of a multi-million major sporting event.

Mark
22nd January 2007, 13:10
Sprinkling to contain dust is something you do in small villages in poor countries. I find it hard to believe that it is an efficient solution in the case of a multi-million major sporting event.

Why shouldn't it be?

Mickey T
22nd January 2007, 13:12
It's a non-issue all 'round.

Let it go...

ioan
22nd January 2007, 13:30
I think you should not say anything ioan....
As it seems you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about...

It's a pity that people living there doesn't care about it.

SO you have very limited water this year plenty of problems with fires and all the rest, but it's still OK that they want to drain water from the lake to make the grass greener on a F1 circuit!

In front of such opinions I'll give up because I doubt you have a clue about serious things.

janneppi
22nd January 2007, 13:51
Is the Albert Park water being used as drinking water, fighting bush fires or something else important which would be harmed by draining the water?
It must have more important uses than sailing?

Valve Bounce
22nd January 2007, 15:06
Has anyone seen the level of the water at Albert Park Lake? WE need the water for the Swans and many other water fowl. If you want grass, why not hold the race in Adelaide and grow some grass on the road pavements there? Then, of course, there's Monaco, where there's plenty of grass on the verges. Yeah right! Someone's been smoking too much of hte stuff. :D

Valve Bounce
22nd January 2007, 15:16
can anyone say beat up? Why is no one complaining about the water they use to keep the grass green at the MCG, Telstra Dome, and all the other major sporting venues accross victoria... Oh thats right cos motorsport is an easy punching bag here in australia cos apparently all of us motorsport fans are "hoons"

How do you expect them to play cricket or footy if the grass here is not watered, probably by recycled water (not sure on this). Maybe having our youth playing sport is more important than making a track beautiful for a bunch of cars speeding around on an asphalt track.

This is a totally stupid requirement that we need grass at the verges of an F1 racing track.

I can't understand how running two wheels of an F1 car on grass would make it safer.

ioan
22nd January 2007, 16:06
Has anyone seen the level of the water at Albert Park Lake? WE need the water for the Swans and many other water fowl. If you want grass, why not hold the race in Adelaide and grow some grass on the road pavements there? Then, of course, there's Monaco, where there's plenty of grass on the verges. Yeah right! Someone's been smoking too much of hte stuff. :D

How do you expect them to play cricket or footy if the grass here is not watered, probably by recycled water (not sure on this). Maybe having our youth playing sport is more important than making a track beautiful for a bunch of cars speeding around on an asphalt track.

This is a totally stupid requirement that we need grass at the verges of an F1 racing track.

I can't understand how running two wheels of an F1 car on grass would make it safer.

Finally someone with common sense! :up:

Bagwan
22nd January 2007, 17:04
Further sanitation in the world of F1 .

There was a time when driver had to adjust to actual race conditions , rather than just hope to acheive the ulimate lap as projected by the computer simulators .
In Bahrain , where the desert touches the track , it's sugar coated . There should be no issue with doing the same in Oz .
Easy enough to put some green dye in as well , if well watered is what you want to portray to the world .

And , it's my guess that it is just that that they wish to show .
After all , with the growing evidence that global warming is becoming the real war we must fight , it doesn't look too clever to be spending all this money and energy going around in circles .
Bernie understands this well , and we may see more real green effort before too long along the lines of these regenerative braking systems .

But , I digress .

Simply put , efforts towards safety can have adverse effect if they are seen to reduce the bravery required .

If someone kicks up some dirt , drive around it . Big deal .

If it is getting in the face of the spectator , sugar it .

Otherwise , both the world's F1 watchers should see the drought , and the teams and drivers (corporate pussies ) should learn to deal with the new reality in our weather patterns .

luvracin
22nd January 2007, 18:21
Aah whatever....

The bleeding hearts will use this issue to misinform the public and piss off Bernie, and then next year the race will be moved to Tehran.

RJL25
22nd January 2007, 19:57
interesting to see how people from other countries who probably have never been to melbourne before seem to know best. The lake is a purely recreational one, its not used as drinking water. As for the bushfire situation, the water in this particular lake will make no difference to the bushfires as once again, its not used by the fire fighters to fight fires

who out of interest actually read the article? The decision to use the water from the lake was made so that they didnt use drinking water from the dam's... So your all laying the boot in saying how their in droubt yet they are using the water for grass, yet they have actually made this decision so they are minimising the amount of drinking water they are using.

Again its a non issue

ioan
22nd January 2007, 20:20
interesting to see how people from other countries who probably have never been to melbourne before seem to know best. The lake is a purely recreational one, its not used as drinking water. As for the bushfire situation, the water in this particular lake will make no difference to the bushfires as once again, its not used by the fire fighters to fight fires

who out of interest actually read the article? The decision to use the water from the lake was made so that they didnt use drinking water from the dam's... So your all laying the boot in saying how their in droubt yet they are using the water for grass, yet they have actually made this decision so they are minimising the amount of drinking water they are using.

Again its a non issue

As Valve mentioned it there are animals living in and around that lake, Maybe they need that water.

Oh but I see, it's nicer to have green grass for F1 than water for the animals! :s

luvracin
22nd January 2007, 20:29
As Valve mentioned it there are animals living in and around that lake, Maybe they need that water.

Oh but I see, it's nicer to have green grass for F1 than water for the animals! :s

Jeez, Albert Park is not Kakadu!!

Sure there's some waterbirds. But the amount they take out of the lake will barely impact the level of the water in there. The birds won't notice.

Valve Bounce
22nd January 2007, 21:22
Jeez, Albert Park is not Kakadu!!

Sure there's some waterbirds. But the amount they take out of the lake will barely impact the level of the water in there. The birds won't notice.

Buddy, this is pure BS. I cycled arund Albert Park last week just before I left for Vail, and I was stunned how the level of the lake had dropped in the past two weeks.

Yes!! The water birds, especially the swans in the lake are a helluva lot more important to us Melbournians than the bloody GP; especially us residentts who live in the Port Philip Bay area who pay for the upkeep of thepark.

So, like I have been advocating for the past three years. move the bloody race back to Adelaide if you can't run it withot watering the grass to make the track look pretty.

And while I am on this subject, I am fed up with us having to put up with the works areas which already started being installed last week, and the whole bloody GP which disrupts the park for those who normally walk, run, cycle, play sport and just enjoy this area, by turning it into a huge model of a detention centre. And yes, I speak for the rowers and the dinghy sailors too. The disruption of the park lasts for around three bloody months and I am sick of it each year.

luvracin
22nd January 2007, 21:31
Buddy, this is pure BS. I cycled arund Albert Park last week just before I left for Vail, and I was stunned how the level of the lake had dropped in the past two weeks.

Fair enough. I humbly concede as I have been living in Detroit for the past 5 years.

Be careful what you wish for though. I fear that if the GP does leave Melbourne, it will leave Aus altogether.

How was/is Vail by the way?

Valve Bounce
22nd January 2007, 22:04
Fair enough. I humbly concede as I have been living in Detroit for the past 5 years.

Be careful what you wish for though. I fear that if the GP does leave Melbourne, it will leave Aus altogether.

Sorry you're not in Melb. The water level in the lake went down by around 12 inches in 1 week, and I was horrified how much more land became exposed at the sides.

Vail is magic today. I can honestly say that, with the sun out, all runs beautifully groomed, and a complete lack of other skiers and snow boarders around, today was the best ski-ing conditions I have ever experienced anywhere in my life. Wish you were here!

tinchote
22nd January 2007, 22:26
Why shouldn't it be?

Basically because it is the least permanent thing you can do: it dries out after a while. And if you have a draught, it will probably dry even faster.

Valve Bounce
23rd January 2007, 02:54
Basically because it is the least permanent thing you can do: it dries out after a while. And if you have a draught, it will probably dry even faster.

Then, of course, it can catch fire. :eek:

tinchote
23rd January 2007, 04:11
Then, of course, it can catch fire. :eek:

That would be fancier for the cameras than the green grass ;) :D

Valve Bounce
23rd January 2007, 05:44
That would be fancier for the cameras than the green grass ;) :D

I don't know why,, but I have this picture in my mind of DC pulling over to one side only to have the grass catch fire under his car. :p :

ioan
23rd January 2007, 08:50
Vail is magic today. I can honestly say that, with the sun out, all runs beautifully groomed, and a complete lack of other skiers and snow boarders around, today was the best ski-ing conditions I have ever experienced anywhere in my life. Wish you were here!

Lucky you!
5 days of ski this year, all of them on 90% artificial snow, ice,and stones, not my ideal. :s

XR8
23rd January 2007, 09:31
Now I have heard reports that after the swimming championships are over they are de chlorinating the water in the swimming pools and using it to
water the plants around the lake and emtying the rest in the lake.
So dont worry, the lake will get its water!By the way it is rainig heavily inthe states central west and some towns have floods in progress.

RJL25
23rd January 2007, 09:35

Yes!! The water birds, especially the swans in the lake are a helluva lot more important to us Melbournians than the bloody GP; especially us residentts who live in the Port Philip Bay area who pay for the upkeep of thepark.

So, like I have been advocating for the past three years. move the bloody race back to Adelaide if you can't run it withot watering the grass to make the track look pretty.

And while I am on this subject, I am fed up with us having to put up with the works areas which already started being installed last week, and the whole bloody GP which disrupts the park for those who normally walk, run, cycle, play sport and just enjoy this area, by turning it into a huge model of a detention centre. And yes, I speak for the rowers and the dinghy sailors too. The disruption of the park lasts for around three bloody months and I am sick of it each year.

i see we have a nimby on the forums! "yeah sure i love having a grand prix in australia as long as its Not In My Back Yard" (hence N I M B Y)

mate it cant just "go back" to adelaide. Adelaid has to want it! And they are making more money out of the clipsal 500 supercar race then they ever did out of the GP and therefore they dont want the GP back! So if melbourne looses it, australia looses it! All because of a few birds? Buddy birds have wings, if the conditions don't suit they fly away to where they do! They won't die!!! They are native australian animals, and native australian animals are adaptable in the sense that australia is a land of scortching droubts and flooding rains! For goodness sakes AUSTRALIA HAS BEEN IN AND OUT OF DROUBT FOR 1000's OF YEARS!!!! anyone would think its the end of the world...

Yes the birds will fly away but they will come back when it rains again. In the mean time melbourne and australia loose the GP and the 100's of millions of dollars the GP brings into the melbourne economy each year!

Believe me i love animals more then most people! But mate birds migrate! Its in their genes! They will come back as soon as it rains again, trust me i studied native wildlife at uni for 2 years. As for not being able to use the park for recreational persuits while the GP is on, well geez mate its been on for 11 years now... seems the bloody birds your whinging about are more adaptable then you are!!!

cosmicpanda
23rd January 2007, 10:31
Three months is a long time... you'd think they could set up the track more efficiently. How long does it take at Monaco, Spa and Montreal?

ioan
23rd January 2007, 10:41
i see we have a nimby on the forums! "yeah sure i love having a grand prix in australia as long as its Not In My Back Yard" (hence N I M B Y)

mate it cant just "go back" to adelaide. Adelaid has to want it! And they are making more money out of the clipsal 500 supercar race then they ever did out of the GP and therefore they dont want the GP back! So if melbourne looses it, australia looses it! All because of a few birds? Buddy birds have wings, if the conditions don't suit they fly away to where they do! They won't die!!! They are native australian animals, and native australian animals are adaptable in the sense that australia is a land of scortching droubts and flooding rains! For goodness sakes AUSTRALIA HAS BEEN IN AND OUT OF DROUBT FOR 1000's OF YEARS!!!! anyone would think its the end of the world...

Yes the birds will fly away but they will come back when it rains again. In the mean time melbourne and australia loose the GP and the 100's of millions of dollars the GP brings into the melbourne economy each year!

Believe me i love animals more then most people! But mate birds migrate! Its in their genes! They will come back as soon as it rains again, trust me i studied native wildlife at uni for 2 years. As for not being able to use the park for recreational persuits while the GP is on, well geez mate its been on for 11 years now... seems the bloody birds your whinging about are more adaptable then you are!!!

A bit colorful from someone living in a country where ecosystems get destroyed continuously because of the human interference!

You can't just make those birds fly away because you want green grass for the F1 GP.

PS: What hundreds of millions of dollars are you talking about? Most of the GP's make local authorities lose money but in Melbourne they manage to earn hundreds of millions???

RJL25
23rd January 2007, 10:53
A bit colorful from someone living in a country where ecosystems get destroyed continuously because of the human interference!

You can't just make those birds fly away because you want green grass for the F1 GP.

PS: What hundreds of millions of dollars are you talking about? Most of the GP's make local authorities lose money but in Melbourne they manage to earn hundreds of millions???

The birds will fly away anyway, this decision will just make it happen maybe 1 week earlier.

And think about it, if the local authorities loose money hosting GP's why do they put them on? See this is where you need to use that thing called a brain. Yes the local authorities loose money, but the local ECONOMY makes 100's of millions of dollars out of it hence why the local authorities are willing to spend the money. If this wasn't the case no one would be hosting GP's!

And please dont pretend your an expert on australia when you dont even live here. Believe me the people of australia are more aware of their environmental situation then they ever have been before, but tell me which ecosystems are being destroyed every day?? Are you refering to the drought? Cos drought is actually a perfectly natural thing in australia, going back over thousands of years australia is a continant that is either in drought, or flooding. Only selective areas in australia lie somewhere in between. Maybe your thinking about the bushfires? Once again, bushfires are a completely natural occurance in australia and is the reason why so many gum trees grow accross our nation, because gum trees are naturally resistant to bushfires. Please when you have learnt as much as i have had to learn about australia geography and tepography, which is very different to that of any other continant in the world, then you can argue this point with me

Bagwan
23rd January 2007, 13:17
The birds will fly away anyway, this decision will just make it happen maybe 1 week earlier.

And think about it, if the local authorities loose money hosting GP's why do they put them on? See this is where you need to use that thing called a brain. Yes the local authorities loose money, but the local ECONOMY makes 100's of millions of dollars out of it hence why the local authorities are willing to spend the money. If this wasn't the case no one would be hosting GP's!

And please dont pretend your an expert on australia when you dont even live here. Believe me the people of australia are more aware of their environmental situation then they ever have been before, but tell me which ecosystems are being destroyed every day?? Are you refering to the drought? Cos drought is actually a perfectly natural thing in australia, going back over thousands of years australia is a continant that is either in drought, or flooding. Only selective areas in australia lie somewhere in between. Maybe your thinking about the bushfires? Once again, bushfires are a completely natural occurance in australia and is the reason why so many gum trees grow accross our nation, because gum trees are naturally resistant to bushfires. Please when you have learnt as much as i have had to learn about australia geography and tepography, which is very different to that of any other continant in the world, then you can argue this point with me

Are you aware that extreme weather conditions are occurring all over the planet , making massive swings from climatic norms ?
These are changes that cause extinctions , and we are the problem .

This is not about a wee lake becoming a pond .
The world should see how dry that grass is .

Stand back and see the forest .

ioan
23rd January 2007, 14:09

Mate you are talking bollocks.
I know Australians who told me that people aren't that much aware about the environmental situation as they should down there. And there are plenty of examples about it. Maybe you should get some info before jumping up and down about how I don't live there and such other things.

The birds won't leave just like that because most of them aren't migrating so why should those birds leave because some idiot wants green grass for f1 cars to run over it?!!!

As for the huge amounts of money for the local economy I still don't know why Bernie has to move GP's to other locations because so many authorities doesn't afford to pay for. Why aren't those comercial entities, those you claim that make hundreds of thousands of dollars, pay for the GP if it is so profitable? Because it isn't, that's why!

Valve Bounce
24th January 2007, 03:48

You want our Black Swans to fly away? Your study of native wildlife at uni in those two years are impressive.

RJL25
24th January 2007, 08:06
valve bounce you say the level has dropped inches in the last couple of weeks, so surely dropping it another 1.5 cm's is only speeding the process up by a couple of days, hence the birds, like it or not, will still fly away, simply nothing that can be done about that. Australia is in drought, its not at all uncommon for australia to be in drought as its been happening for 1000's of years, and thats the reason why native australian animals are use to this and are not adversely effected by it. And no i dont want the swans to fly away but there isn't anything that can be done about it, but dont fret they will come back when the lake fills up again!

You dont have to beleive me cos frankly i dont give a toss if you do or not, but the fact is the lake is drying up due to the drought, and this decision is only speeding the process up by a couple of days

ioan you dont know jack about the australian climate cos if you did you would know that australia and drought goes hand in hand. Go do some research and it will prove me correct. Australia is the dryest continent on the planet and this is not a new fact, it has been the dryest continent for over 10,000 years (before that it was all sub-tropical rainforest)

And yes australian's are aware of climate change and the human influences as climate change is the only bloody thing i hear about on the news and on the radio and its been that way for the last 6 months. Maybe the people you spoke to are a bit behind the news.... australian's are very aware of whats going on, maybe 2 or 3 years ago they weren't, but by god they are now!

I dont pretend to know whats going on in countries i dont live in, perhaps you should do the same. It really annoys me when people who dont live in australia reckon they know more about it then someone who has lived there their entire life! And the basis for their knowledge is "people i have spoken to..." uhhuh!

AJP
24th January 2007, 08:37
It's a pity that people living there doesn't care about it.

SO you have very limited water this year plenty of problems with fires and all the rest, but it's still OK that they want to drain water from the lake to make the grass greener on a F1 circuit!

In front of such opinions I'll give up because I doubt you have a clue about serious things.
ioan...I am really amazed that you can say that I don't care about this...
all this does is cement how idoitic you can be....

where in any of my posts have I stated this????

ioan
24th January 2007, 09:01
valve bounce you say the level has dropped inches in the last couple of weeks, so surely dropping it another 1.5 cm's is only speeding the process up by a couple of days, hence the birds, like it or not, will still fly away, simply nothing that can be done about that. Australia is in drought, its not at all uncommon for australia to be in drought as its been happening for 1000's of years, and thats the reason why native australian animals are use to this and are not adversely effected by it. And no i dont want the swans to fly away but there isn't anything that can be done about it, but dont fret they will come back when the lake fills up again!

You dont have to beleive me cos frankly i dont give a toss if you do or not, but the fact is the lake is drying up due to the drought, and this decision is only speeding the process up by a couple of days

ioan you dont know jack about the australian climate cos if you did you would know that australia and drought goes hand in hand. Go do some research and it will prove me correct. Australia is the dryest continent on the planet and this is not a new fact, it has been the dryest continent for over 10,000 years (before that it was all sub-tropical rainforest)

And yes australian's are aware of climate change and the human influences as climate change is the only bloody thing i hear about on the news and on the radio and its been that way for the last 6 months. Maybe the people you spoke to are a bit behind the news.... australian's are very aware of whats going on, maybe 2 or 3 years ago they weren't, but by god they are now!

I dont pretend to know whats going on in countries i dont live in, perhaps you should do the same. It really annoys me when people who dont live in australia reckon they know more about it then someone who has lived there their entire life! And the basis for their knowledge is "people i have spoken to..." uhhuh!

ioan...I am really amazed that you can say that I don't care about this...
all this does is cement how idoitic you can be....

where in any of my posts have I stated this????

I got it, oly Australians know what happens in their country, and only some of them, the rest of us know squat (even if Internet, Television and printing machines are available here too!) and we have no right to say our opinion about it cause we are idiots :s .
Well thank you, now I understand why people think it's a good idea to use a lakes water to grow green grass on an F1 circuit, and all this when water is so much needed. I bet cars and drivers will love it and will thank you for giving them this pleasure.

AJP
24th January 2007, 09:21
I got it, oly Australians know what happens in their country, and only some of them, the rest of us know squat (even if Internet, Television and printing machines are available here too!) and we have no right to say our opinion about it cause we are idiots :s .
Well thank you, now I understand why people think it's a good idea to use a lakes water to grow green grass on an F1 circuit, and all this when water is so much needed. I bet cars and drivers will love it and will thank you for giving them this pleasure.

again ioan...where did I say it was good to use the lake water....

go and read my first post again....

seriously mate...you can be so frustrating

ioan
24th January 2007, 09:27
again ioan...where did I say it was good to use the lake water....

go and read my first post again....

seriously mate...you can be so frustrating

Well I didn't call the guy an idiot only because he wanted green grass but because of the Albert Park lake water usage, you were pretty much in agreement with the water usage but yet called me an idiot. Who is the frustrating one?!

AJP
24th January 2007, 09:31
Well I didn't call the guy an idiot only because he wanted green grass but because of the Albert Park lake water usage, you were pretty much in agreement with the water usage but yet called me an idiot. Who is the frustrating one?!

ioan....did you read my first post...??

i was not pretty much in agreement at all...I stated that what he wants to do is important but the use of the water from Albert Park is not....

you are an idiot...for continually carrying on like a pork chop...

RJL25
24th January 2007, 09:35
AJP - Ioan just wants a fight, thats all he ever wants, he makes a stand on something and then promptly ignores anyone who creates a solid counter argument and keeps saying his original point over and over again just using different words. Everyone on this forum knows this and thats why most people also find him so frustrating

Ioan - i never said you knew nothing about australia, all i said was dont try and pretent you know more about it then the people who live and breath australia every day. I dont pretend to know everything about your bloody country so dont try and pretend to know everything about mine. Australia is in drought, its normal, get on with it.

No one is complaining about the MCG or telstra dome which combined use a bucket load more water then alber park does! And at the end of the day this decision was made so that they didnt use damn water! They only used recreational water. The damn water is more important then alber park's water. Ofcourse you'd knkow this tho Ioan if you lived here

cosmicpanda
24th January 2007, 09:59
... And at the end of the day this decision was made so that they didnt use damn water! They only used recreational water. The damn water is more important then alber park's water. Ofcourse you'd knkow this tho Ioan if you lived here

perhaps "dam" water is a better term ;)

...yea, just a bloody kiwi sticking his nose in :p :

ioan
24th January 2007, 10:20
AJP - Ioan just wants a fight,

I'll leave it at this point, because I want no fight unlike others here.
It was just a sensible point about how F1 doesn't care about environement, and it seems that I was right.
Very few have been able to see my point here and agreed with it, and I thank them for that.

fly_ac
24th January 2007, 10:38
I'm no expert when it comes to drought, but common sense tells me that when there is drought one should look after ones water resources.
I believe that, to waste water for recreational purposes in such a time is rather stupid. Water are there firstly for our and natures survival, then for recreation.
I also believe that nature can and always will adapt to whatever us humans can throw at nature, the problem is that us humans are the ones whom have difficulty adapting to what were given to us to preserve in the first place. That's why we are F@k!ng up nature.

To come back to the point. To use the water from the Park to make the grass greener at a F1 event are a bit stupid, there must surely be other options to make a race track save (and grass is definitely not save) and pretty. As for the animals living at the Park weren't they there first, why do they have to move away/leave/migrate for our entertainment. The Grand Prix have no benefit to them.

I don’t think whether the organisers of the F1 event are stupid enough to not make money or clever enough to make money is the issue here. I think the issue is whether it is sensible to use water during a drought for our recreational purposes.

Common sense is my friend. :D

RJL25
24th January 2007, 10:46
fly_ac - some good points you made

yes animals are smarter then us and will adapt to the stupid things we do to this planet before we do

yes we shouldn't waste water in a drought, but further on from that we shouldn't waste water full stop.

as you say this water is being used for recreational use, and hence the water they are using is from a lake that has been classed as a lake set aside for recreational use. They arent using dam water (touche cosmicpanda) which ofcourse is essential water required for drinking, instead they are using water set aside for recreational use. Seems like common sense to me too, we just seem to be looking at it from other ends of the spectrum

at the end of the day i come back to my original point that being that no one complains about the water being used on the MCG, telstra dome, or the many other major sporting venues in australia. So why does suddenly everyone care about the water used for the grand prix track? Besides albert park is a recreational park open to the public every other day of the year, and to keep the gardens and such nice and happy their they are already using heaps of water from the damn.. all they are really doing is continuing to do what they have always done at albert park, only now they are using non essential water to do it whereas previously they where using essential water, so they have actually improved things!!! hence why i think this is all a beat up

fly_ac
24th January 2007, 11:42
Seems like common sense to me too, we just seem to be looking at it from other ends of the spectrum
I think you are correct there. :up:

I have read all the other threads and can see some valid points from you as well as others. And since I don't live in Australia or have never been there I was a bit reluctant to comment on anything I have read. I just generalise.

I know however what happens in my country when it comes to preserving water and nature. Best of luck in convincing others that does not live in your country as to what is happening there. :s tare:

Bagwan
24th January 2007, 13:24
You know , it doesn't really matter from where the water comes .
It's whether we can stand to look at dry grass or not . That grass , if it comes back from this drought , and greens up , is doing so because it is adapted to the arid conditions .
But those conditions are becoming more extreme because of the effect that we have had on our planet .
The lake is down . The damned dam is down .

It's a slippery slope on which the human race is sliding , and it only gets slipperier if we put water on the grass , regardless of it's origin .

It would make the party a masquerade , showing all is good in Oz and the world , but is that the message that needs to be sent ?
All is not good , and we need to change our ways .

A sport so massively wasteful should pay heed to this fundamental issue , or perish .

luvracin
24th January 2007, 15:09
I think this thread is now living up to its title..... :rolleyes:

Valve Bounce
24th January 2007, 15:31

First of all, I said the level of the lake fell by around 12 inches in the week before I left for Vail. This has left a lot of the lake bed exposed, including the filters on the north side of the lake.

Secondly, could you please tell us which part of your university course has enlightened you that the Black Swans can fly away and can come back? Where do you suggest these Black Swans "fly" to?

Thirdly, I consider that to water the grass on the edge of the track is silly and a total waste of the water in the lake.

24th January 2007, 15:51
I think this thread is now living up to its title..... :rolleyes:

I think you're right about that.

Although it would be ironic if it rains for the GP.

Although obviously not as ironic as if it rained on your wedding day, or if you had ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

Actually I never got that......Why would anybody have 10,000 spoons and not own a knife? That's not ironic Alanis, that's just fecking stupidity and in inability to use an on-line order form correctly.

Also, it wouldn't be ironic if it rained on your wedding day unless you were an expert in meteology and had specifically chosen the date of your nuptials based on your knowledge of weather patterns having guaranteed your spouse-to-be that she/he should trust you with this because you know what your doing.

Otherwise rain on your wedding day is either an irrelevance or a bit of an inconvenience.

Alanis fecking Morrisette! Apparently she sold over 10 million copies of her debut album 'Jagged Little Pill'.....including one copy to a man.

Now, hows that for nonsense!

RJL25
24th January 2007, 19:43
i think we are just going over and over and over old ground here, nothing new is being brought to the table anymore so i thinks nows time for everyone to gracefully back away from this argument... see you in another thread!

ioan
24th January 2007, 19:46
i think we are just going over and over and over old ground here, nothing new is being brought to the table anymore so i thinks nows time for everyone to gracefully back away from this argument... see you in another thread!

Is that because you discovered that black swans do not migrate?! :p :

DavErb
24th January 2007, 22:44
For those of you wondering about the use of water for growing grass in a drought area you should note that the water doesn't have to be potable. In fact the average grass plant would prefer effluent water over drinkable and I doubt any of you would want to bathe in effluent

Valve Bounce
25th January 2007, 03:59

That university degree must have run out of steam. (sorry, I meant water) :p :

RJL25
25th January 2007, 04:00
Is that because you discovered that black swans do not migrate?! :p :

migrate was the wrong word i used, i meant they will fly to another bed of water suitable for their needs. I'm pretty sure everyone knew what i meant i just used the wrong word, but ofcourse Ioan you are too much of a smart ass spoiling for a fight that you cant let it go.

Im tactfully withdrawing my argument purely because this entire discussion is not going anywhere, not because i feel im wrong. Unfortunately tho you lack any form of tactfulness. Valve Bounce, it seems you suffer from the same problem as Ioan in that you cant let it go, a shame really cos normally you are by far one of the more intelligent and worthwhile people on this forum

we have differing points of view, we have all expressed those views to the fullest of our abilities, but at the end of the day its clear none of us are going to change our minds, so whats the point of continuing? none, thats right!

Valve Bounce
25th January 2007, 04:08
migrate was the wrong word i used, i meant they will fly to another bed of water suitable for their needs. I'm pretty sure everyone knew what i meant i just used the wrong word, but ofcourse Ioan you are too much of a smart ass spoiling for a fight that you cant let it go.

Im tactfully withdrawing my argument purely because this entire discussion is not going anywhere, not because i feel im wrong. Unfortunately tho you lack any form of tactfulness. Valve Bounce, it seems you suffer from the same problem as Ioan in that you cant let it go, a shame really cos normally you are by far one of the more intelligent and worthwhile people on this forum

You underestimate me!! :( I love funning around.

Quite seriously though, my wife and I love those Black Swans, we wait every year for their young to show up, and NO!! they can't fly away and leave their young behind.

And no, I am not normally one of the more intelligent people in this forum - there are many here who will testify to that.

Perhaps if you check out this link, you will understad why I am passionate about Albert Park Lake. http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=38

RJL25
25th January 2007, 04:10
You underestimate me!! :( I love funning around.

Quite seriously though, my wife and I love those Black Swans, we wait every year for their young to show up, and NO!! they can't fly away and leave their young behind.

And no, I am not normally one of the more intelligent people in this forum - there are many here who will testify to that.

Perhaps if you check out this link, you will understad why I am passionate about Albert Park Lake. http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=38

dont get me wrong, i love your passion for albert park, and albert park is indeed a fantastic space

ioan
25th January 2007, 17:05

we have differing points of view, we have all expressed those views to the fullest of our abilities, but at the end of the day its clear none of us are going to change our minds, so whats the point of continuing? none, thats right!

My last post was just a joke I couldn't resist to post (see smiley that was attached to it!).

On another tone, I would say that this thread isn't a nonsense as some posted here, if it was I doubt that we would have talked about it for over 60 posts.

airshifter
25th January 2007, 18:54
My 5 cents.

From an environmental view, if the lake is dropping as quick as VB estimates, the damage of another 1/2 inch wouldn't change things much, and the lake is already in trouble.

I might add that from a strictly environmental standpoint if global warming is the problem, we shouldn't allow fossil fuels to be burned for sheer pleasure, and the fuel consumed by a field of F1 cars isn't helping any.

As for the original statement, I'm not sure I can completely agree, but for the most it has merit. Dead grass turns to dirt, and allows greater erosion, which would result in a rougher surface off track. Grass also has enough texture to catch a lot of debris and dust. If you don't believe that take some paper and other like sized debris, and on a windy day drop some in growing grass and some on the street. Watch how fast the stuff on the smoother surface blows away in comparison.

If all else fails, I have a possible solution. I do contract work for the Nestle Corporation, which owns a division of bottled waters. I'm sure that if the environmentalists provided enough funding, a large purchase and delivery could be made. Besides protecting the local environment and keeping the race safe, it could increase my income as well. A win/win/win situation! :)

25th January 2007, 19:11
If you don't believe that take some paper and other like sized debris, and on a windy day drop some in growing grass and some on the street. Watch how fast the stuff on the smoother surface blows away in comparison.

Bloody litter lout.

agwiii
28th January 2007, 15:41

I completely disagree with you on this statement. :bounce:

Ari
29th January 2007, 02:55

That is my fear also! It would be nice, after 10 years, to see it go baco to Adelaide as opposed to lose it altogether.

But I agree with Valve.... the lake is really down at the moment. I drove around it on Friday (Australia Day) coming back from somewhere. Decided to take a nice drive through the lake and noticed the water levels were way lower than usual. If you can see this visually while driving around in a car then there must be a problem.

Ari
29th January 2007, 03:03
Three months is a long time... you'd think they could set up the track more efficiently. How long does it take at Monaco, Spa and Montreal?

Ive not seen any setup of the circuit yet. I was looking too.... but didnt see anything. Ive fount its usually unavailable for about 2 weeks before and after.... so only one month. Also, about two weeks before and after that its on managed usage... as in available however equipment in some areas etc.

So really, the parks only actually unavailable for a month..... with a further month of managed usage. Imo, thats not too much stress for what the GP offers the state in terms of revenues, tourism and general exposure.

Ari
29th January 2007, 03:16
I completely disagree with you on this statement. :bounce:

So do I!! :p

VB's just being modest! How cute.

Valve Bounce
29th January 2007, 06:04
About two weeks ago, the works areas and offices were being erected on the south side of the park, away from the lake, and opposite the pits area. I am sure more and more works areas and offices are being erected in this area. These guys will probably start erecting the stands sometime in February, followed by the huge safety fences and concrete bollards. This year, I will not be in Melbourne to see all this.