PDA

View Full Version : Michael Schumachers life story wanted by Hollywood producer

CNR
24th April 2008, 13:29
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/india-news/michael-schumachers-life-story-wanted-by-hollywood-producer_10041520.html

Washington, Apr 24 (ANI): A Hollywood (http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/india-news/michael-schumachers-life-story-wanted-by-hollywood-producer_10041520.html#) producer is set to take F1 icon Michael Schumachers glorious life to the silver screen.
In an interview to German magazine Bunte, Schumachers agent, Willi Weber revealed that the Hollywood producer is willing to make a film on the legends victorious life.
He has also asked the 39-year-old star to play himself in the movie (http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/india-news/michael-schumachers-life-story-wanted-by-hollywood-producer_10041520.html#).
A Hollywood producer is interested in the life of Michael Schumacher and a film would be called The Michael Schumacher Story with him as the main actor,” The Sun quoted Weber as saying.
Schumacher had retired from the sport in 2006 and after winning 91 Grand Prix. (ANI)

markabilly
24th April 2008, 14:25
Jim Clark would be a more intersting movie, except it has no happy ending, and some of his races would be difficult to believe for the general public (indeed about as unbelievable as the "Rocky does Champ car" movie, esp., the ending), such as a massive spin at Indy, where he saves it, and the car gets the car going straight down the track without losing much speed, and wins the race, only to end up second place because of some scoring error, then another race where being a lap plus down at Monza, and having to pass everyone to get back on the same lap, and then pass everyone again to take the lead only to run out of gas on the last lap, plus being a very quiet laid back personality.......and so on

And as to MS, just how are they going to portray a certain "stop" and how about all those "bumps"......but at least it has a happy ending......

JSH
24th April 2008, 14:33
Why would "Hollywood" make a movie about a guy 80% of people in America have never heard of?

Based on the website the article is on, are they sure it isn't a "Bollywood" producer?

keysersoze
24th April 2008, 15:12
IMO, a movie based on the relationship between Prost and Senna has the potential of being a critical success, if not a box office hit.

It's the quintessential classic vs romantic theme, as well as the perennial symbiotic relationship.

1. The rise of both to prominence.

2. Their integration as teammates.

3. The disintegration of that relationship.

4. Senna's reason for driving rendered insignificant now that his most feared, most hated rival goes on sabbatical. The rise of a new superstar (Schumacher's character). His friend and countryman has a horrifying accident (Barrichello's accident). The death of a committed journeyman (Ratzenberger) and Senna's devastation. His deep discussions about safety and motivation with Sid Watkins' character foreshadows his death the following day, naturally while leading the race.

5. Prost later coming out of retirement, only to discover that racing is unimportant now that his bitter enemy has been tragically killed.

ChrisS
24th April 2008, 15:26
Talking of Formula One movies, does anyone have any new info on the Bruce McLaren movie (http://www.thebrucemclarenmovie.com/index.htm)?

SGWilko
24th April 2008, 15:54
IMO, a movie based on the relationship between Prost and Senna has the potential of being a critical success, if not a box office hit.

It's the quintessential classic vs romantic theme, as well as the perennial symbiotic relationship.

4. Senna's reason for driving rendered insignificant now that his most feared, most hated rival goes on sabbatical. The rise of a new superstar (Schumacher's character). His friend and countryman has a horrifying accident (Barrichello's accident). The death of a committed journeyman (Ratzenberger) and Senna's devastation. His deep discussions about safety and motivation with Sid Watkins' character foreshadows his death the following day, naturally while leading the race.

5. Prost later coming out of retirement, only to discover that racing is unimportant now that his bitter enemy has been tragically killed.

:up: You should write a script and get friendly with a producer....... ;)

Big Ben
24th April 2008, 19:06
I wonder who is going to be the good guy...

24th April 2008, 19:19

Prost never came out of retirement. His last GP was Australia 1993.

Still, why let facts get in the way of a blockbuster?

keysersoze
24th April 2008, 19:25
Glad you brought that up, and I have to say that both would be considered the "good guy."

And both are the "bad guy."

Both are likeable (because of their ambition) yet flawed (because of their ambition).

That's why their relationship was so compelling. It was as much, or more, about character than it was about racing.

keysersoze
24th April 2008, 19:29
Prost never came out of retirement. His last GP was Australia 1993.

Still, why let facts get in the way of a blockbuster?

That's even better--his retirement gives Senna no reason to carry on. From what I've read about Senna in his prime, Prost WAS his reason for racing.

24th April 2008, 19:34
That's even better--his retirement gives Senna no reason to carry on. From what I've read about Senna in his prime, Prost WAS his reason for racing.

Come to think of it, make it a musical.

PSfan
24th April 2008, 20:58

um, if my memory serves me correctly, didn't Senna take over prost's seat at Williams when he retired?

And in regards to a MS movie, Think I would be all for any "serious" F1 movie, provided Stallone doesn't touch it... But... Michael playing himself in it would just be tacky, be cool if he had a brief appearance playing Bernie, Max, or even Ron Dennis :p :

keysersoze
24th April 2008, 21:38
um, if my memory serves me correctly, didn't Senna take over prost's seat at Williams when he retired?

um, yes, and there has been much written about how Senna was adversly affected by Prost's retirement--hence my comment that Senna had "no reason to carry on."

They spoke more often, with Senna typically the one initiating the conversation. Although much has been made of their enmity, it came with enormous respect. That said, I think Senna respected Prost more than Prost respected Senna.

ioan
24th April 2008, 23:29

:rotflmao:

Tazio
25th April 2008, 00:19

And in regards to a MS movie, Think I would be all for any "serious" F1 movie, provided Stallone doesn't touch it... But... Michael playing himself in it would just be tacky, be cool if he had a brief appearance playing Bernie, Max, or even Ron Dennis :p : :up:

Ranger
25th April 2008, 00:53

:D

They should resurrect Elio de Angelis and put him on piano while they're at it. :p :

Tazio
25th April 2008, 01:36
VVVVVV Plays the part of Jean Todt

ChrisS
25th April 2008, 02:19

Prost had one more year in his contract with Williams so when Senna was signed he wasnt Prost's replacement he was his team mate.

Prost (that had a no Senna as team mate clause in his contract for 1993) opted to retire than have Senna as a team mate

pretty much throws the "his rivalry with Senna was the reason he raced" theory out the window.

CaptainRaiden
27th April 2008, 19:45
A movie on Michael Schumacher? :(

As if sitting through the 2000-2004 era wasn't boring enough.

markabilly
27th April 2008, 21:29
so if ms is not played by MS, who should it be?

1. Danny Devito
2. Arnold da guverner in Kalifornia
3. brittany spears (she can sing better than Arnold)
4. Damon Hill

Daniel
28th April 2008, 08:34
2. Arnold da guverner in Kalifornia

I'm a 7 time Formula 1 world champion you idiot!

Tazio
28th April 2008, 10:24
Why would "Hollywood" make a movie about a guy 80% of people in America have never heard of?

Based on the website the article is on, are they sure it isn't a "Bollywood" producer?Here's a news flash!!!! People watch English speaking, Hollywood made movies,
all around the world. Most Europeans speak English as a second language!

AAReagles
30th April 2008, 20:31
Jim Clark would be a more intersting movie....

Unless it was John Frankenheimer (director of 'Grand Prix' - who is deceased) or someone who resembles his professional caliber of maintaining the reality of racing, I don't want to see a movie made about Clark.

His career/sportsmanship/character deserves better than the recent (last 20 years) racing movies that Oddly-wood has produced.

markabilly
1st May 2008, 03:21
Unless it was John Frankenheimer (director of 'Grand Prix' - who is deceased) or someone who resembles his professional caliber of maintaining the reality of racing, I don't want to see a movie made about Clark.

His career/sportsmanship/character deserves better than the recent (last 20 years) racing movies that Oddly-wood has produced.

Sadly because I would like to see a great great movie about Clark, but having been brought back to reality by your insight, alas, i must say you have a point.

AAReagles
3rd May 2008, 00:04
Sadly because I would like to see a great great movie about Clark, but having been brought back to reality by your insight, alas, i must say you have a point.

Well I'm afraid that I was a bit overboard on my statement, as I'm not much of a movie goer these days - to be knowledable enough to figure (more like trust) who would be able, in the very least event, to produce a well done movie.

A producer/director, with a respectable concern with not only $ but his own integrity/ reputation (that would not use fabricated computerized imaging - with exception to only enhancement of footage from actual race film during the respective era to be documented). Although, like J. Frankenhiemer, it is unstandable that the assigned director would have to fabricate some scenes of in-car cameras to better illustrate the storyline (and sport).

Having mentioned that I can only think of only one who qualifies for the position, particularly after seeing some of his previous works - Steven Spielberg.

As usual, with most audience demands these days, most films these days seem to want/derive a lively character to keep themselves entertained - and at first two drivers came to mind:

1) James Hunt - a bloke who was not only talented, but had that sort of charming playboy trait that made him a favorable character in the ranks of GP racing. Necessary (movie) drama factor(s): Winning a close WDC in 1976 after Lauda's crash, in a rain-soaked race at the Japanese GP & assisting R. Peterson from his foreshadowing fatal accident at Monza in 78'.

2) Nigel Mansell - a bit outspoken (to say the least from what I've gathered of the folks overseas on this forum), but he did take a gamble and put his house up for sale to go for it. Necessary (movie) drama factor(s): He won not only the WDC/but the Champ car series before he retired to a happy end.

Jim Clark, also would certainly fit into the format of having lived a dramatic (racing) life, but like the two drivers mentioned above, I'm not sure if it would compare to one other driver I recently stumbled along in thought, that would fit for a interesting story from start-to-end.

Jochen Rindt: Here was a person (driver) who entered life during unimaginable events that transformed most boundries across the globe, during the catastrophic events that occured over the period of WWII.

His parents were killed during an allied bombing raid in Hamburg, while he was only in his infancy. Later to be raised by his grandparents.

He had a fiery nature about him, long before he found a competitive ride with Lotus, in which he struggled in his first year with them in 1969.

Yet, ironically enough, once he got hold of machinery that complimented his talents, he not only discussed the possibility of retiring, but was killed during that season in 1970. In which he is most likely remembered as the sport's only (hopefully) posthumous WDC.

And I could see S. Spielberg doing the job right, if he cared too.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents worth.

Any other thoughts ?

markabilly
3rd May 2008, 00:50
Well I'm afraid that I was a bit overboard on my statement, as I'm not much of a movie goer these days - to be knowledable enough to figure (more like trust) who would be able, in the very least event, to produce a well done movie.

A producer/director, with a respectable concern with not only $ but his own integrity/ reputation (that would not use fabricated computerized imaging - with exception to only enhancement of footage from actual race film during the respective era to be documented). Although, like J. Frankenhiemer, it is unstandable that the assigned director would have to fabricate some scenes of in-car cameras to better illustrate the storyline (and sport).

Having mentioned that I can only think of only one who qualifies for the position, particularly after seeing some of his previous works - Steven Spielberg.

As usual, with most audience demands these days, most films these days seem to want/derive a lively character to keep themselves entertained - and at first two drivers came to mind:

1) James Hunt - a bloke who was not only talented, but had that sort of charming playboy trait that made him a favorable character in the ranks of GP racing. Necessary (movie) drama factor(s): Winning a close WDC in 1976 after Lauda's crash, in a rain-soaked race at the Japanese GP & assisting R. Peterson from his foreshadowing fatal accident at Monza in 78'.

2) Nigel Mansell - a bit outspoken (to say the least from what I've gathered of the folks overseas on this forum), but he did take a gamble and put his house up for sale to go for it. Necessary (movie) drama factor(s): He won not only the WDC/but the Champ car series before he retired to a happy end.

Jim Clark, also would certainly fit into the format of having lived a dramatic (racing) life, but like the two drivers mentioned above, I'm not sure if it would compare to one other driver I recently stumbled along in thought, that would fit for a interesting story from start-to-end.

Jochen Rindt: Here was a person (driver) who entered life during unimaginable events that transformed most boundries across the globe, during the catastrophic events that occured over the period of WWII.

His parents were killed during an allied bombing raid in Hamburg, while he was only in his infancy. Later to be raised by his grandparents.

He had a fiery nature about him, long before he found a competitive ride with Lotus, in which he struggled in his first year with them in 1969.

Yet, ironically enough, once he got hold of machinery that complimented his talents, he not only discussed the possibility of retiring, but was killed during that season in 1970. In which he is most likely remembered as the sport's only (hopefully) posthumous WDC.

And I could see S. Spielberg doing the job right, if he cared too.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents worth.

Any other thoughts ?

no other thoughts, but SS would be a great choice BUT>>>>>

but if SS did it, it would probably be about MS, due to the radio factor as i got to thinking about how do you do dialogue to keep the audience interested while racing. In Grand Prix, it was the voice overs, in Le Mans, it was the discussions between the driving--although many critics and the general public did not care for le mans, too boring and only about racing (without a real soap opera to go with it)

And movies where the hero dies, are usually not very popular at all with the public

The idea is for everyone to be dancing at the end of the film if you want to make money, and like most stuff, it is all about the money!!!!

A movie about any of these guys would probably not be much of a big rate of return unless there is some sort of story line that brings the general public viewer in--tough to do.

The public would probably expect another Tom Cruise type movie to make sales worth it--and where would Robert Duvall play a role????

tsarcasm
3rd May 2008, 17:34
that movie would suck, hollywood bs would proliferate, just watch some old races to get the MS story...

GP-M3
3rd May 2008, 18:48
I think JSH is actually correct. The film industry here would typically not make a movie of any significance that it would seem the vast majority of the US market would have little interest in. JSH is correct, 80% of america (at least) has never heard of MS. I'd be happy to see it, but I can't actually imagine they would make (fund) it. Maybe a mid-budget documentary or something would be more likely.

Here's a news flash!!!! People watch English speaking, Hollywood made movies,
all around the world. Most Europeans speak English as a second language!

Originally Posted by JSH

AAReagles
3rd May 2008, 18:58
... but if SS did it, it would probably be about MS, due to the radio factor as i got to thinking about how do you do dialogue to keep the audience interested while racing. In Grand Prix, it was the voice overs, in Le Mans, it was the discussions between the driving--although many critics and the general public did not care for le mans, too boring and only about racing (without a real soap opera to go with it)

....The public would probably expect another Tom Cruise type movie to make sales worth it--and where would Robert Duvall play a role????

True. Not to mention that there would be some logicistical problems of trying to portray events taking place 30-40 years ago, with not only the cars but paraphanalia/scenery to represent the era.

Even by today's standards, it would be difficult to film a movie in much the same scale as Grand Prix was. J. Frankenheimer admitted that factor alone would be enough to discourage most studios.

... forget Tom Cruise, he's strung out on stupid now. Robert Duvall, hmmm, well there's not much of any american representation in the current era of the sport for someone his age, but I figure he could play the role of a evil chap, who schemes to maneuver money in place of ethics... oh well hey, that's it! His role could be as Tony George. :D

that movie would suck, hollywood bs would proliferate, just watch some old races to get the MS story...

:up: Best advice for fans... and hollywood for that matter.

Tazio
3rd May 2008, 23:35
Personally I am looking forward to this movie! I fully expect the subject matter to be erroneous.
In general it will misrepresent a lot of Mikes life, and deeds!
I have yet to see Hollywood do justice in this arena.
I have very little doubt I will walk out of the theater saying that it kinda
sucked! I'm still more than happy to lay down my 8 to 10 bucks for the show!

tsarcasm
4th May 2008, 03:06
they would need factory support to round up enough, ferrari f1's

enzo gifted the producers of grand prix

Nikki Katz
4th May 2008, 14:08
I don't like racing films in general as they all seem to have the same plot (plucky underdog wins championship after his friend is killed, cue lots of unrealistic race footage) and I don't see why people couldn't just watch the real thing, it's always much better.
A biopic might be a bit more watchable, but I think that Schumacher is a weird person to pick. He's been around for so blummin long that it's hard to know which bit to pick. You'd think that it would chart his entrance to F1 (which could be interesting) and then finish with his first championship. But this happened in 1994, and aside from all the other stuff that happened that year, Schumacher was driving a car that was alleged to be illegal, he was banned for a couple of races for ignoring penalties from race control, and eventually won the title by punting his rival off the track. I don't really see a particularly rosy Hollywood ending there.

markabilly
4th May 2008, 22:35
well if Fellini were still around, then they could make a movie, combine the strange events of this year with all the strange events of last year.....would make quite the strange, weird comedy.......but no one would believe it...so...

Melqui
28th May 2008, 09:01

This would be a great movie :) . But I guess and Movie of Schumacher would sell more, since its known more by common people.

SGWilko
28th May 2008, 09:06
This would be a great movie :) . But I guess and Movie of Schumacher would sell more, since its known more by common people.

You could call the Senna/Prost film - Dodging Death.

The Schumacher one would have to be called - Dodgems! ;)