PDA

View Full Version : DIY Disasters

Spoonbender
24th April 2008, 10:18
My wife decided we needed a new bathroom suite about a year ago. Being as most of us are these days, careful with money, I got on with the job in hand myself. To cut a very long story short, 12 months later the project is still ongoing, and to cap it all my youngest was having a bath last night, doing a fair amount of splashing, and water started to pour through the kitchen ceiling. It seems I have to drop the bath out again and reseal all the way around it, a job I'm not looking forward too. Any one else got DIY problems??

jim mcglinchey
24th April 2008, 15:58
Heres a little tip, before you seal around the bath fill it with water, that way youre not breaking the seal when youre actually having a bath.

Donney
24th April 2008, 18:28
I have no tips whatsoever since I'm useless at anything DIY related, I am one of those who also has to rely on friends or professionals.

GridGirl
24th April 2008, 22:19
Not had any DIY disasters myself but I did have to call a well know Gas company out last year on a bank holiday Monday. The stupid little *bleep* must of been on triple time or something and left a stop tap running in my airing cupboard. I guess he thought I'd realise and would call him back out so he could get some more triple time. Alas I never realised and the water ran like a tap for about 24 hours. It was only when I got back from work the next day I found out that water had ended up coming through my ceiling and running down my walls which in turn had shorted all the light circuits. I had no lights for over a week while it all dried out and my hall way and part of my living room were both flooded.

I was not a happy bunny. It ended up with me having a massive row with them and me now getting my gas and electric elsewhere. God help the poor call centre people when they ring up asking me if I want to go back with them.... ohhhh I give them a rand and a half.

Garry Walker
28th April 2008, 14:19
I once tried to bake a cake. Not a pretty sight I tell you.

schmenke
29th April 2008, 22:02
The missus and I are toying around with the idea of installing hardwood flooring on our main floor. I have a buddy who swears it's dead easy to do but I'm not entirely convinced. Anyone have any experience with it?

jso1985
30th April 2008, 02:33
there's a reason why some people make a living out of it... ;)

Garry Walker
30th April 2008, 10:50
The missus and I are toying around with the idea of installing hardwood flooring on our main floor. I have a buddy who swears it's dead easy to do but I'm not entirely convinced. Anyone have any experience with it?

Preferably let someone experienced do it

maxu05
30th April 2008, 16:21
I haven't had any DIY disasters yet, but I had a friend who tried to make a spoiler kit for a Holden Torana, (an Aussie car), to make it look like an A9X, (special edition, made specifically to qualify it for the Bathurst 1000 race). Trouble is, he tried to make it from ply wood. When it was finished, I wouldn't even park within 100 metres of his car, just in case some of the Dorkiness jumped ship.

MrJan
30th April 2008, 17:11
When I got my degree through I throught I'd put it in a frame and hang it on the wall (to annoy my brother mostly :D ) Anyway so after carefully putting the thing into the frame, attaching the hanging device and nailing the picture hook in, I hung the frame up and stood back to admire my handy work. Only put the bloody thing upside down. Thought that given the standard of the degree and the effort that went into it being upside down was fairly apt so it remains the wrong way up to this day :D That is the extent of my DIY history :)

Azumanga Davo
30th April 2008, 17:42
I haven't had any DIY disasters yet, but I had a friend who tried to make a spoiler kit for a Holden Torana, (an Aussie car), to make it look like an A9X, (special edition, made specifically to qualify it for the Bathurst 1000 race). Trouble is, he tried to make it from ply wood. When it was finished, I wouldn't even park within 100 metres of his car, just in case some of the Dorkiness jumped ship.

How long was he in intensive care for? :p :

Thats a beating up offence in downtown Geelong for sure...

dc10
1st May 2008, 15:12
Preferably let someone experienced do it

I agree, me & my hubby were going to fit our own but got a couple of local DIY lads to do it in the end. Glad we did, it was well complicated and would have taken us forever!

maxu05
1st May 2008, 17:37
How long was he in intensive care for? :p :

Thats a beating up offence in downtown Geelong for sure...

He was very close to getting beaten up when we saw his car, but we were so busy rolling around laughing that we didn't have the strength to do it, in fact we laughed so hard we all had tears in our eyes.

Azumanga Davo
2nd May 2008, 11:53
He was very close to getting beaten up when we saw his car, but we were so busy rolling around laughing that we didn't have the strength to do it, in fact we laughed so hard we all had tears in our eyes.

Hopefully the tears got on the wood and rotted it off... ;)