PDA

View Full Version : About Global Warming

maxu05
23rd April 2008, 23:44
I watched a doco about life on an oil platform and they told of how they drill the sea bed and extract the oil. They take the oil, and pump sea water in to replace it, and this got me thinking. What is a better coolant ? Water, or oil. If the centre of the Earth is hot Magma, then wouldn't the oil be coolant, and stop the heat from generating upwards towards the surface, and if so, water would not be as effective. Could this be part of the reason why global warming is increasing ? Just a thought, perhaps somebody on the forum might know more about this than me, (well I am sure somebody will know more), I am just curious. I am sure if this is part of the reason for climate change, the oil companies wouldn't want anyone to know about it.

Schultz
24th April 2008, 03:42
Sounds plausible. But am I just being naive to suggest that there would have been scientific studies by independent sources to prove whether or not this could effect the temperature of the sea on a large scale? Even if this could be a problem, I'm sure the oil companies would be doing their darndest to make sure such an issue doesn't become an 'issue'.

jso1985
24th April 2008, 04:13
Sounds interesting! but I'm not sure if there's(or was) that much oil to "cover" the whole earth magma

rah
24th April 2008, 10:10
Just remember that at the depths that they drill at that, there is plenty of rock between the surface and the oil. You can also look at the fact that the rise in sea temps will follow the rise in air temps. Sea temps have not risen much lately because it takes a few decades for the atmosphere to warm the oceans of the world.

Daniel
24th April 2008, 21:21
Not wanting to start one of my trademark Global Warming arguments but this made me chuckle.....

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23583382-5009760,00.html

Seriously get all these guys in the same room and force them to come to an agreement as to what's happening and don't let them out until they do agree.

I consider myself someone who cares about the environment. I just get a bit annoyed when companies merely dress something up as environmentally friendly when it is actually less environmentally friendly. Or those who are just too plain dumb and think they're doing something environmentally friendly when its not really any better.

I had a bit of an idea today. How about escalators where the escalator going down is partly powered by the weight of people going down on the other escalator?

There is a little roller coaster here in North Wales which is powered in a similar way. Basically you walk up to the top of the hill and jump in a little box cart thing which then goes down and your weight plus that of the cart then pulls the roller coaster up to the platform, then you walk up again and jump in and enjoy the ride. Very little or no electricity involved :up: Now that doesn't really have any application in everyday life but it's an example of eco-technology which is actually as green as it says it is.

Found a little writeup about it. Tis cool I think.

Take a ride on our exciting Green Dragon Family Roller Coaster. It is sure to be a great hit with both your children* and yourselves.
The 20-person, five car train travels a 250 metre long track, including a 360 degree horizontal loop, and reaches a top speed of 25 mph. And really, it is two rides in one!
That is because the Green Dragon is the world's first environmentally-friendly roller coaster which harnesses people-power to minimise use of electricity. Indeed, over a year of operation, the ride generates more power than it uses.
You first walk up to the loading platform of the funicular and ride down. The combined weight of the all of you in the funicular as it goes down the hill is sufficient to pull the empty coaster cars up the hill to the loading station.
And then you walk up the steps to join the train and enjoy the delights of the family roller coaster.

In other news Fiat will be bringing out a two cylinder engine for the 500 which produces 110 bph from a .9L engine and it'll do 60mpg on PETROL! Petrol FFS! How good is that? Hydraulically controlled inlet valves (no intake camshaft) and stop start technology which means it switches itself off when you stop in traffic. Now that's proper eco-techonology :up:

jim mcglinchey
24th April 2008, 23:03
Whatever happened global warming? we dont seem to hear about it on the news anymore. I'll tell you, escalating food and fuel prices, money shortage and a housing market in crisis kind of put that junk science into perspective.

rah
28th April 2008, 00:38
Daniel I would not worry too much about that article, he does not seem to have an adequate grasp of the science involved.

Lots of scientists doing lots of very different studies. Also it would have to be a very big room. And hey remember that the doubters do not agree on anything either and there are only a handful of them.

As for the escalator idea, doubt it will work. Because of the angles involved the friction would not make it very efficient. But elevators do use a counterweight.

Daniel
28th April 2008, 07:39
I didn't think so either :)

leopard
28th April 2008, 08:56
There are some forces involved to run escalator, one of them is different gravity for two things from different height. To lift up a weight will need another weight which is equal to or weigher than the first weight. Probably this is something we can't avoid to implement pure mechanical concept for escalator.

Alternative and renewable energy is a good discourse. Keep exploiting oil would meet the limit someday while itmt it elevates environment destruction. In the bigger scale probably we need more integral technology that have ability to accept environment friendly biofuel, alternative energy and the likes.

A technology or natural occurrence that are previously suspected will give us good impact always bear their unlikeable character. Sulphuric gas resulted from volcanic activity, mountain eruption can at some degree make earth temperature decreased, but the further research found that it can stimulate ozone destruction of atmosphere.

Appreciate really people's concern about impact of continued global warming. The best thing we can do probably to start with action, from the smallest scale, from ourself, our environment, now.

Robinho
28th April 2008, 13:18
i like the escalators that have a sensor so as you get to them they start up, so they are not needlessly running round and round when there is no-one on them - they should be mandatory