PDA

View Full Version : For those going to Kansas.

!!WALDO!!
23rd April 2008, 19:08
FRIDAY
•Noon: Parking lots open
•2 p.m.: Gates open
•2:30-3:30 p.m.: NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series practice
•3:35 p.m.: ARCA RE/MAX Series driver introductions
•4 p.m.: ARCA RE/MAX Series Kansas Lottery $150 Grand
SATURDAY
•6 a.m.: Parking lots open
•8 a.m.: Gates open
•8:45-10:15 a.m.: IndyCar Series practice
•10:30-11:15 a.m.: Firestone Indy Lights practice
•11:30-noon: IndyCar Series Group 1 practice
•Noon-12:30 p.m.: IndyCar Series Group 2 practice
•12:40 p.m.: NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series qualifying
•2:10 p.m.: IndyCar Series qualifying
•3:45-4:35 p.m.: Firestone Indy Lights practice
•4:40 p.m.: NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series driver introductions
•5 p.m.: NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series O’Reilly Auto Parts 250
SUNDAY
•6 a.m.: Parking lots open
•8 a.m.: Gates open
•9-10 a.m.: Firestone Indy Lights qualifying
•12:15 p.m.: Firestone Indy Lights pre-race
•12:45 p.m.: Firestone Indy Lights Kansas Lottery 100
•3 p.m.: IndyCar Series pre-race
•4 p.m.: IndyCar Series Road Runner Turbo Indy 300

dataman1
24th April 2008, 21:43
Serious question. Since I have never been to Kansas, Is there anything other than the track that is worthy of a visit for a racing fan?

garyshell
24th April 2008, 23:13
Serious question. Since I have never been to Kansas, Is there anything other than the track that is worthy of a visit for a racing fan?

Any of the numerous BBQ places. They are EVERYWHERE. The local delicacy is a thing called "burnt ends". Small bits of brisket that are charred and have an incredible smokey taste. Ohhhhhh, my mouth is watering.

Gary

dataman1
28th April 2008, 14:05
Thanks Gary. Who could have predicted the forum would go down and could not get your great advice? I wish I had tried the "burnt ends".

For those thinking of going sometime, that track is in no man's land miles away from Kansas City. Watch the race footage to get an idea. They shoot a zoom shot of downtown then back away towards the track which shrinks the city considerably. I guess the land was cheaper and the zoning restrictiions were less.

garyshell
28th April 2008, 15:02
Thanks Gary. Who could have predicted the forum would go down and could not get your great advice? I wish I had tried the "burnt ends".

For those thinking of going sometime, that track is in no man's land miles away from Kansas City. Watch the race footage to get an idea. They shoot a zoom shot of downtown then back away towards the track which shrinks the city considerably. I guess the land was cheaper and the zoning restrictiions were less.

Damn! You missed a delicacy! Some so called "Kansas City BBQ" places in other cites will have them on their menu. There is a little BBQ shack here in Cincinnati, run by this great little old woman. It featured a sign "Kansas City Style BBQ". Not seeing it on the menu, I asked if they served burnt ends. I thought the woman was going to cry! She said she loved them and used to have them on the menu, but the folks in Cincinnati didn't "get it". She told me to come back in a week and she'd have some. I did and she did. YUM-O!

Gary

nanders
28th April 2008, 15:40
Damn! You missed a delicacy! Some so called "Kansas City BBQ" places in other cites will have them on their menu. There is a little BBQ shack here in Cincinnati, run by this great little old woman. It featured a sign "Kansas City Style BBQ". Not seeing it on the menu, I asked if they served burnt ends. I thought the woman was going to cry! She said she loved them and used to have them on the menu, but the folks in Cincinnati didn't "get it". She told me to come back in a week and she'd have some. I did and she did. YUM-O!

Gary

I live outside Kansas City and when I go to town I go down on Southwest Blvd and get Mexican food. Guess you'll have to wait for next year.

http://kansascity.citysearch.com/bestof/winners/mexican_food

Kansas City is an average town ... but it's okay. But on a race weekend, what do you need? 1. a great place to eat. 2. a decent place to sleep. 3. racing.

There's also a short track a few miles north of the speedway that usually has something going on.

Gary, I'll trade you the Chiefs for the Bengals.? The fans want to trade Herm Edwards right now.

garyshell
28th April 2008, 15:44
I live outside Kansas City and when I go to town I go down on Southwest Blvd and get Mexican food. Guess you'll have to wait for next year.

http://kansascity.citysearch.com/bestof/winners/mexican_food

Kansas City is an average town ... but it's okay. But on a race weekend, what do you need? 1. a great place to eat. 2. a decent place to sleep. 3. racing.

There's also a short track a few miles north of the speedway that usually has something going on.

Gary, I'll trade you the Chiefs for the Bengals.? The fans want to trade Herm Edwards right now.

Chiefs? Bengals? What's that? Is that one of them stick and ball sport teams? Oh wait, I remember the Bengals... they are the folks who blackmailed the city into passing a tax levy to buy them a new stadium. You want 'em you can have 'em, but you have to take the stadium and keep the Chiefs too.

Gary

nigelred5
28th April 2008, 16:11
mmmm burnt ends. My wife is trying to drag me to KC in July for her jewelry convention. Not sure that sounds like a winner without a race.

Around here, it's not barbeque but Pit Beef, especially at places like fire halls, american legions, etc. Not as much commercial, but damn good stuff. Better than the meat sometimes. You go to the guy running hte slicer and ask for ends or slicer scraps. Half tihe time, they'll just give you a bag of the crumbs and end scraps. It's All charred up beef and ham from 10-12 hours of smoking over hickory wood and charcoal fire. Mmmmmmm, I know where I'm going for lunch, to eat me some burnt up beef and pork.

tbyars
28th April 2008, 16:21

Here's a bit of KC trivia for you.

There was an early '80s made-for-TV disaster film set in KC called "The Day After." It was about a nuclear exchange between the Soviet Union and the US. The first nuclear detonation you see in the film is a very high atmosphere shot over KC for the EMP effects it would generate. The filmmakers start this sequence with a close up of downtown, and then step back at about 2 second intervals to show progressively longer and longer shots. The final shot, with downtown a LONG way away, right before the blast, is taken in the exact spot where KC Speedway sits today.

So if that long shot, looking back at downtown KC yesterday looked familiar, that's why.

(The only reason I know that is because I had a cousin who worked on the film crew for that movie.)