PDA

View Full Version : EU to investigate Valencia GP contract

ShiftingGears
23rd April 2008, 00:17
By Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, April 22nd 2008, 10:11 GMT

The European Union's Commissioner for Environment, Stavros Dimas, will investigate possible irregularities in the project to build Valencia's new street circuit.

Dimas said he will look into "possible irregularities of the EU's public contract rules in the bidding process," Spanish news agency EFE reports.

The investigation will come as a result of questions asked by members of Green group David Hammerstein, Raul Romeva and Monica Frassoni.

It is also reported that there could be an investigation over the noise levels reached during the race weekend.

"With the hurry, it is possible that El Consell (Valencian government) has not done its homework regarding transparency and noise," Hammerstein was quoted as saying by EFE.

"Formula One's speed excess could create serious problems to the Valencian Government to comply with European law."

The new circuit will host the European Grand Prix on 24 August this year.

I hope the event still goes ahead...

gloomyDAY
23rd April 2008, 05:38
I hope the event still goes ahead...
Better go off as planned!

I can only imagine a pissed off little hobbit steaming over the loss of cash revenue. Bet my socks that Valencia will not be in any danger.

Powered by Cosworth
23rd April 2008, 06:37
sked by members of Green group

When will the do-gooders just shut up for once. It's really starting to sodding annoy me now.

MAX_THRUST
23rd April 2008, 12:54
Poor organisation it seems.....Nothing new there then, some countries are just like that. I'll refrain from naming any countries to avoid being called a racist by a certain half wit poster!!!!

Should go ahead, to much money has been pumped in to not let it happen, and the green do gooders will just stamp there feet until someone listens, but money is more important than the enviroment. If by promoting green issues makes money for Goverments then they'll sit and take note. if it doesn't make money for them then they'll burry it. I HOPE!!!!!

ioan
23rd April 2008, 15:06
The EU Comission makes often noise, but rarely bites, and even when they do it takes plenty of time! ;)

aryan
23rd April 2008, 16:15
It seems like a case of Valencian government not doing its homework properly and not documenting everything correctly and hoping to get away with it.

As ioan says, the EU Commission rarely bites, but is does ocassionaly (e.g., Microsoft)

Big Ben
23rd April 2008, 17:36
this is not correct. I'm not investigating anything.

Azumanga Davo
23rd April 2008, 18:15
this is not correct. I'm not investigating anything.

G'wan, you can confide in us, we won't tell. ;)

TMorel
23rd April 2008, 21:18
Oi eu, wait a minute, you're admitting that you're NOT investigating anything? You're just going to make a decision without having looked into the actual facts?

Who the heck do you think you are? Max Moseley?

ioan
24th April 2008, 09:53
Oi eu, wait a minute, you're admitting that you're NOT investigating anything? You're just going to make a decision without having looked into the actual facts?

:rolleyes:

rublazar2
24th April 2008, 11:38
Hi everyone, I'n new here (but reading this forum since years).

To the topic, this all began in a very bad manner (I mean the Valencia GP) when Mr. Ecclestone came to Valencia and coerced to all the citizens of the Comunitat Valenciana before the Elections here, when he said that this GP would be possible depending on who was going to win that Election :down:

AndyRAC
24th April 2008, 11:48
I just think it was crazy to build a specially designed circuit, when they had one already built. Okay, so it's not the greatest, but in the current climate, it's a little insensitive to build another when there is one round ther corner.

ShiftingGears
24th April 2008, 12:03
Hi everyone, I'n new here (but reading this forum since years).

To the topic, this all began in a very bad manner (I mean the Valencia GP) when Mr. Ecclestone came to Valencia and coerced to all the citizens of the Comunitat Valenciana before the Elections here, when he said that this GP would be possible depending on who was going to win that Election :down:

I thought that was more to do with the fact that most arrangements had been made with the local government prior to the election, rather than Bernie meddling about in Valencian politics.

but in the current climate, it's a little insensitive to build another when there is one round ther corner.

How so? F1 figured that they'd get more sponsors if they had a seaside street circuit, a bit like Monaco...kinda like what they're doing with Abu Dhabi and Singapore.

I'm pretty glad the Valencian GP isn't at the circuit the bikes use. That's awful.
Heres a virtual lap of the street circuit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1EEHTGvwGk

I think its pretty good. A few nice little kinks in there, and a bit of variation.

Big Ben
24th April 2008, 13:23

No but he taught me that it's better for the sport to decide without investigating too much... however if you have to investigate you still have to decide before it so you can conduct the investigation to that decision...

samuratt
24th April 2008, 20:00
I thought that was more to do with the fact that most arrangements had been made with the local government prior to the election, rather than Bernie meddling about in Valencian politics.

Exactly! The problem arises when the deal is attached to the reelection of the government. The Valencia GP was the best asset the government had to win again. And they did, otherwise we wouldn't have it.

So Bernie played some role in the election, though incidentally ... ;)