PDA

View Full Version : Who's Bidding On The Panoz DP01 Fleet?

pits4me
22nd April 2008, 18:51
One of the more interesting things to come out of the race weekend, from people inside the champcar organisation someone put a bid in for ALL the panoz's ??? not sure who yet but the story came out over the tannoy annoucer also.
Wouldnt it be fun to have a a1gp style race with the panoz for the usa ? have to wait and see who the mystery buyer is

The teams own the cars and one owner suggested they pool them together for sale as a modern looking foundation for a series somewhere. This sounds like the most logical approach since there are also spares to include.

There are at least three or more seriously interested parties from what I've heard. Japan, Europe and Canada with a South Amercian group another possibility. One or two are a new series, the others are to replace what they are running at the moment. This is great news for the owners and DP01 fans.

We won't know about the engines until the BK thing is settled. As soon as they become available there are plenty of old Lola and Reynard club/vintage racers that would buy them.

pits4me
24th October 2008, 20:04
The teams own the cars and one owner suggested they pool them together for sale as a modern looking foundation for a series somewhere. This sounds like the most logical approach since there are also spares to include.

There are at least three or more seriously interested parties from what I've heard. Japan, Europe and Canada with a South Amercian group another possibility. One or two are a new series, the others are to replace what they are running at the moment. This is great news for the owners and DP01 fans.

We won't know about the engines until the BK thing is settled. As soon as they become available there are plenty of old Lola and Reynard club/vintage racers that would buy them.

Now we know the details. Thanks to Atlantic alumni (aka media mogul) Ben Johnston and his Green Prix concept. It will be good to see the DP01's back out there. Also a continuation of the Atlantic Championship legacy.

Bullet
28th October 2008, 04:40
Could it be Forsythe? Maybe PT? Or, for a real sadistic fantasy... Chris Pook? :D
What great news for ICS. Selling these cars is a great first step in creating a new rival series to battle with. I was getting bored anyway. Another decade anyone??? :D

nigelred5
7th November 2008, 00:50
$250K for 93 Cosworth engines and ancillaries sounds like a steal to me for such capable engines, even if most of them have their mileage limit on them for the 07 season.

Sandfly
7th November 2008, 02:06
And hope they are not ALL siezed from sitting for over nine months - even those with no time. Might be a good deal if you have a rebuild shop, and need 93 motors.

ShiftingGears
9th November 2008, 06:24
What a steal!

EagleEye
11th November 2008, 16:08
Now we know the details. Thanks to Atlantic alumni (aka media mogul) Ben Johnston and his Green Prix concept. It will be good to see the DP01's back out there. Also a continuation of the Atlantic Championship legacy.

This new proposed new series is an "arrive and drive" series, NOT a professional race series. The arrive and drive concept is for those with deep pockets, who want to live out their racing dreams.

Pat Wiatrowski
11th November 2008, 17:13
This new proposed new series is an "arrive and drive" series, NOT a professional race series. The arrive and drive concept is for those with deep pockets, who want to live out their racing dreams.

And there happens to be a place in the racing world for that too!

Sandfly
12th November 2008, 06:14

Once again, your information is incorrect. But please feel free to continue to live out your racing dreams. Pay no attention to this proposed series.... :)

Andrewmcm
12th November 2008, 10:59
Once again, your information is incorrect. But please feel free to continue to live out your racing dreams. Pay no attention to this proposed series.... :)

I've paid no attention to this new proposed series so I have no idea what it's about. Perhaps, Sandfly, you can post some relevant information that will both inform me and quantify your assertions about the series?

Thanks! :)

DanicaFan
12th November 2008, 12:13
I wouldnt mind buying one, painting it all up in black and blue Motorola colors with a #7 and make it street legal. :D

EagleEye
12th November 2008, 13:51

"Johnston, who plans to use Cosworth engines in both types of car, said: "I intend to create an arrive-and-drive type schedule where I own and prepare all the cars. The plan is to tune the engines in the Panoz down to 650bhp and the Reynards down to 500bhp." The first round is scheduled to take place next March in Savannah, Georgia."

Pat Wiatrowski
12th November 2008, 15:26
"Johnston, who plans to use Cosworth engines in both types of car, said: "I intend to create an arrive-and-drive type schedule where I own and prepare all the cars. The plan is to tune the engines in the Panoz down to 650bhp and the Reynards down to 500bhp." The first round is scheduled to take place next March in Savannah, Georgia."

Always did want to vacation back in Savannah. May I will.

garyshell
12th November 2008, 15:57

Ok then, so what IS correct?

Gary

Sandfly
13th November 2008, 00:17
Mr Johnston has described the series as quoted above ( not sure when or where that was said - likely at the auction) as an "arrive and drive" series.

What I have heard him explain elsewhere is that the Reynards will be provided to theose drivers who excel in the Atlantics program, and the Panoz will be provided to those professional drivers who have already demonstrated thier ability to drive a champ car. There is no rate card , no ride buying. A hotshoe vintage racer who wants to give it a try can work his way thru Atlantics and earn his ride. If thats ride buying - then so be it, but that is nothing new. Just about everbody buys thier Atlantics ride.

The cars will be maintained by the professional staff of Green Prix ( or by contracted staff) which already includes former CC mechanics. The cars will be maintained to be as identical as possible and assigned on an equal basis, with the ability of the driver to personalize the setup on race weekends.

These will be professionally maintained race cars with professional drivers, and
a race series that is operated by those with years of experience in CART/CC.

Just because this series is starting out with a cost minimizing structure that does not require huge team outlays, does not make it less than professional. It may not be what you expect, or what CART was, but it is reasonable plan for putting real race drivers from Atlantics and real drivers from CC back into some top level horsepower race cars.

I believe that when BJ made the comment at the auction - arrive and drive means that -- the series drivers arrive and drive the cars. That does not mean that "anybody" can arrive and drive. This is a series for folks who have earned the right to be in them and can provide real racing to real race fans.

bennybigb
13th November 2008, 00:27
If this is true, that would be incredible!

But, either way I will follow the series, as the IRL has let so many people down.

garyshell
13th November 2008, 03:31
Mr Johnston has described the series as quoted above ( not sure when or where that was said - likely at the auction) as an "arrive and drive" series.

What I have heard him explain elsewhere is that the Reynards will be provided to theose drivers who excel in the Atlantics program, and the Panoz will be provided to those professional drivers who have already demonstrated thier ability to drive a champ car. There is no rate card , no ride buying. A hotshoe vintage racer who wants to give it a try can work his way thru Atlantics and earn his ride. If thats ride buying - then so be it, but that is nothing new. Just about everbody buys thier Atlantics ride.

The cars will be maintained by the professional staff of Green Prix ( or by contracted staff) which already includes former CC mechanics. The cars will be maintained to be as identical as possible and assigned on an equal basis, with the ability of the driver to personalize the setup on race weekends.

These will be professionally maintained race cars with professional drivers, and

Just because this series is starting out with a cost minimizing structure that does not require huge team outlays, does not make it less than professional. It may not be what you expect, or what CART was, but it is reasonable plan for putting real race drivers from Atlantics and real drivers from CC back into some top level horsepower race cars.

I believe that when BJ made the comment at the auction - arrive and drive means that -- the series drivers arrive and drive the cars. That does not mean that "anybody" can arrive and drive. This is a series for folks who have earned the right to be in them and can provide real racing to real race fans.

Just one small detail missing from this description, a business plan. Where is the $$$ in the equation? It is an interesting concept, but so far I don't see how it is sustainable.

Gary

EagleEye
13th November 2008, 19:29

What Ben Johnson said and means is that it is an arrive and drive series, where anyone can PAY HIM, to drive and race the cars. The same concept has been used by Skip Barber graduates, who can arrive and drive in that series, and other driving schools. In plain terms, it is intended to be a pay to drive series....not a be paid to drive series. That is the business model.

The cars will be maintained by Johnson and his staff, and can be driven by anyone who has a check, signs the waivor from, and probably is a graduate of some school. Think Charlie Nearburg, Walter Mitty, and the like.

Sandfly
14th November 2008, 03:33
Eagle eye and garyshell,

Unless Mr. Johnston has told you otherwise in direct discussions, then I stand by what I have said in response to the assertion that this will not be a professional series. I am certain that the business plan will provide for the posssible evolution of the series into a team oriented structure more in keeping with the standard sries of the past. In this modern era, however, an IROC style series that provides real racing opportunities to professional drivers in professionally maintained cars may be the most successful model for a new series.

garyshell
14th November 2008, 04:11
Eagle eye and garyshell,

Unless Mr. Johnston has told you otherwise in direct discussions, then I stand by what I have said in response to the assertion that this will not be a professional series. I am certain that the business plan will provide for the posssible evolution of the series into a team oriented structure more in keeping with the standard sries of the past. In this modern era, however, an IROC style series that provides real racing opportunities to professional drivers in professionally maintained cars may be the most successful model for a new series.

Great, then his intention is to start another civil war, huh? He intends to go after the same fans, venues, teams and most important of all sponsors as the ICS. Oh goodie. Just what we needed, Idiot Grandson number II.

It was a stupid idea when King George had the delusion, oh sorry, vision. It is an even more stupid idea now, in this economy, for someone to want to split AOWR into two camps again. Especially given the fact that the only REAL interest from Madison Ave. revolves around a certain parcel of property at 16th and Georgetown.

When this was first announced every one was touting it as not an attempt to fracture AOWR. Now, if sandfly's assertions are true, it is obvious that we were initially hoodwinked and this is a shot across the bow.

If so, I hope it sinks like a stone. It has ZERO chance of success (without the Indy 500 sponsors will stay away in droves) and 100% chance of screwing it up for everyone. If not and it is just an arrive and drive series tageting the vintage racing crowd then as I said before, sign me up for tickets.

Gary

Sandfly
14th November 2008, 04:34
Watch the 500 and believe what you will. Ignore this series,,,which has not even started yet. It is definately not intended to compete with the IRL any more than A1GP is. This is a road racing series. Open Wheel Grand Prix racing. We will see about all the other details in time. But again, I suggest you just keep watching, and enjoying the IRL. And do not worry about another "split". Nobody wants to split anything. Nobody is looking for a fight.
See you later...

garyshell
14th November 2008, 04:45
Watch the 500 and believe what you will. Ignore this series,,,which has not even started yet. It is definately not intended to compete with the IRL any more than A1GP is. This is a road racing series. Open Wheel Grand Prix racing. We will see about all the other details in time. But again, I suggest you just keep watching, and enjoying the IRL. And do not worry about another "split". Nobody wants to split anything. Nobody is looking for a fight.
See you later...

Really, then where is this new series going to look for sponsors, teams and venues? Keep telling yourself that no one is looking to split AOWR. They will have to fight for the same resources if they expect to survive, unless Mr. Johnson has deeper pokets than KK and GF, and the word is he has no where near that sort of wealth.

A1GP is not competing with the IRL, they race in the USA only once a year. They race durring the IRL off season. Does the "Green" (what a JOKE that is) series intend to race only once a year in the USA, or race durring the IRL off season? No, then how is it NOT competing?

Gary

Easy Drifter
14th November 2008, 14:38
Other unanswered questions include: How much for a weekend racing will the driver have to pay?
Is there any return possible? Prize money?
Do you have to commit to several races or is it race by race?
Will you get the same car and crew each race?
How much change can you make to the car?
What insurance (public liability) will the organizer have?
What credentials (experience) do the drivers have to have?
Can driver sponsors have their names/logos on the cars?
If yes, how much will this cost?
How much track time and length of race or races?
Will there be any media coverage? Radio? TV? Internet?
There isn't all that much time before the first planned race and all these questions are unanswered as far as I have seen.
As things stand I cannot see any professional driver even considering this series.
Outside of super motor racing fans, who is going to be interested in watching a bunch of rich no talent drivers try to keep these powerful cars pointed in the right direction?
Even Marty or Milka probably could drive rings around most of the likely drivers.

EagleEye
14th November 2008, 19:02
Eagle eye and garyshell,

Mr. Johnson told me in a direct discussion that this is indeed an "arrive and drive" series, as he stated to others from the start. His intent is to make money from those who pay him to race the cars and that his crew will maintain and provide. Since there will be one crew working on all the cars, this will be set up as a series of sprint races. ANYONE, with enough money to buy a seat and meets the minimum requirements (has a yet to be set) can drive. People will also be able to buy rides for practice only.

Again, this has been done many times before, with Barber, Russell and other cars. He indicated to me there were no plans for it to "evolve" into a series where teams prepare, and race their own cars. In addition to the issues with economy, there are several major obstacles in this moving forward.

You opinion is not based on ANY discussion you have had with Mr. Johnson in regards to his plans and his intentions. Maybe start with that first....and educate yourself a bit more before standing by your baseless statements that do not match what has been said in private and public by Mr. Johnson.

Sandfly
15th November 2008, 03:43
Mr. Johnson told me in a direct discussion that this is indeed an "arrive and drive" series, as he stated to others from the start. His intent is to make money from those who pay him to race the cars and that his crew will maintain and provide. Since there will be one crew working on all the cars, this will be set up as a series of sprint races. ANYONE, with enough money to buy a seat and meets the minimum requirements (has a yet to be set) can drive. People will also be able to buy rides for practice only.

Again, this has been done many times before, with Barber, Russell and other cars. He indicated to me there were no plans for it to "evolve" into a series where teams prepare, and race their own cars. In addition to the issues with economy, there are several major obstacles in this moving forward.

You opinion is not based on ANY discussion you have had with Mr. Johnson in regards to his plans and his intentions. Maybe start with that first....and educate yourself a bit more before standing by your baseless statements that do not match what has been said in private and public by Mr. Johnson.

I do not know when you had your direct discussion with Mr. Johnston
(please note the correct spelling), but it is not consistent with the plans he has discussed at length with others, including me. You are correct that the minimum requirements have not been made public - and that there are several problems in getting the program started, as with any new venture.

Now, your concluding statement is simply inappropriate. I am quite confident that I am accurately reflecting Mr Johnstons plan for PGUSA, and that I do not need additional education from you on this matter. It is clear that you prefer to describe the series in negative terms based on your misinterpretation or misrepresentation of Mr Johnston's comments somewhere. I do not speak for Mr. Johnston, but it is clear to me that you certainly do not.

I will not discuss this with you further due to your insulting manner.

EagleEye
25th November 2008, 01:22
I will not discuss this with you further due to your insulting manner.

I know for a fact, that you have NEVER spoken directly to Mr. Johnston.

Your claim that you have, is an insult in itself.

Enjoy the "arrive and drive" series.