PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Little's Pro Celebrity Win

pits4me
21st April 2008, 03:17
What a fantastic performance by Jamie in the Pro-Celebrity race.

Her move in the hairpin on the last lap against Skinner was classic. Of all the pit staff reporters at Long Beach, she seems to be the one most tuned in to whats really happening. Too bad ESPN prefers yodels like Arute and Goodyear.

Good job Jamie! Hopefully we'll see a lot more of you on IndyCar telecasts.

Civic
21st April 2008, 08:16
What happened? I remember half the field seemed to be taking it easy at the end of the race. I was at turn 8 and some were going slow and others tried to capitalize on that (like Raymond Cruz who brushed the wall at turn 8). At the post race ceremony they were talking about a timing and scoring error with the number of laps actually raced. Anymore details?

indycool
21st April 2008, 13:46
She's supposed to do the "500" again, as she has in the past. I was real happy to see her win that one, too. Geez, pits4, we even agree on this one! :)

xtlm
21st April 2008, 18:10
hey hey hey, leave Arute alone

the big issue is that Breanne girl......makes me cringe every time I say/hear her name

pits4me
21st April 2008, 19:15
What happened? I remember half the field seemed to be taking it easy at the end of the race. I was at turn 8 and some were going slow and others tried to capitalize on that (like Raymond Cruz who brushed the wall at turn 8). At the post race ceremony they were talking about a timing and scoring error with the number of laps actually raced. Anymore details?

The announcers had her running first place on lap 10 but the checkered was not shown until lap 11 in a 10 lap race. Timing & scoring blew it.

There were major issues all weekend. It must be a "transition" thing.

TioWoody
21st April 2008, 20:12
The announcers had her running first place on lap 10 but the checkered was not shown until lap 11 in a 10 lap race. Timing & scoring blew it.

There were major issues all weekend. It must be a "transition" thing.

And that "transition" thing must have had something to do with CC qualifying on Saturday. For the longest time the big screens had no data line - and of course we could just barely hear the track announcers. And when the qualifying positions finally started appearing on the screen they had no correlation to what the announcers were saying. It turned out the announcers had it right. And this mess-up after some thrilling changes in the Atlantics qualifying. Without data, qualifying is just a bunch of cars going fast.

P.S. My son says "we" will be back at LB next year. I had a great weekend.

Vegasguy
21st April 2008, 20:17
Without data, qualifying is just a bunch of cars going fast.

Not if you have a stop watch and a piece of paper. ;-)

I always have a stop watch around my neck when I go to races as I like to gather different data then is shown on the boards. But it has come in handy for this exact reason.

cartpix
21st April 2008, 21:25
After Bomerino overshot turn 1 (lossing several places) in the Atlantics race, the TV feed in the media center, still showed im in the lead for several laps. The T&S monitor was showing him down a few places, though.

Jeff

TioWoody
22nd April 2008, 00:14
Not if you have a stop watch and a piece of paper. ;-)

I always have a stop watch around my neck when I go to races as I like to gather different data then is shown on the boards. But it has come in handy for this exact reason.

With my interest level at an all time low, I failed to do my normal pre-race weekend preparation and left my stop watch at home. But the watch doesn't help much during qualifying - I can only time one or two cars at a time - plus you have to be sitting at the timing line - which often isn't a very good viewing point - except for Monterrey where you also get to see the possoms crossing track.

Early Friday morning we sat up in the media center - now those guys have some really nice stuff on their monitors!

weeflyonthewall
22nd April 2008, 00:20
With my interest level at an all time low, I failed to do my normal pre-race weekend preparation and left my stop watch at home. But the watch doesn't help much during qualifying - I can only time one or two cars at a time - plus you have to be sitting at the timing line - which often isn't a very good viewing point - except for Monterrey where you also get to see the possoms crossing track.

Early Friday morning we sat up in the media center - now those guys have some really nice stuff on their monitors!

As long as its accurate. I heard Timing & Scoring were out to lunch most of the weekend. Go figure.

tifosi77
22nd April 2008, 19:49
They displayed the '1 lap' board at the appropriate time (in the Prolebrity race), but failed to wave the checkers next time by. What I was told was that, for some reason, 'they' had allotted far more time in the event timeline for this race than they normally do. So, they arbitrarily decided to extend the race by a lap. Only 'they' didn't exactly tell everyone of their plan until after the 10th lap. So Jamie backed off after crossing the lap at the end of lap 10, rightly thinking she was the overall winner.

I agree that her move coming out of the hairpin was top drawer stuff that you don't normally see in that event. Mike Skinner tried to push her into a spin coming off the hairpin. Her reaction was as calm as it was ballsy.... she showed him how to play the game. She held on to the car and nearly ran Skinner down into the pit wall.

Good stuff!